Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 02-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

For those who don't know, archive.org is a place where shows can be posted for bands that are trader-friendly. Download speeds are excellent. Currently, there are only two Damien shows up there (a couple of radio shows from last year). Would it be possible to get more shows on there? The FTP only allows a few people to download at a time, and BT doesn't work for those with firewalls.

BTW, for those interested - there's tons of great Ryan Adams, Guster, and all sorts of other stuff on there.

www.archive.org/audio
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
dana
Eskimo Regular

I'm not 100% sure but I think artists have to implicitly say that they allow their shows to be on the archive, which I don't think Damien's done.

edit: Actually I'm wrong, just found this:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-b...s.php?band=Dam ien%20RiceEdited by: dana
Old 02-03-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
mariodiclerico
Eskimo Friend

And that, you see, is why we don't use archive.org. Until DRM changes their ridiculous policy (which I've been explicitly told on seperate occassionsby Damien and one other person intimately close to him is not Damien's wish) and lets archive host full shows, no one is going to waste time chopping up recordings like that.
mariodiclerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

Interesting - I hadn't read the policy, and just assumed people hadn't taken advantage of it.

Should we consider lobbying management? On the one hand, their logic is couched in artistic things about how people should view the songs, but logically that should eliminate all live trading. So it's probably based on a worry about people not buying future recordings, which is of course silly because anyone who's downlading shows is the most likely to buy new albums.
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

That's kind of what I was thinking. It's only the hardcore fans who tape and trade the shows, and they're the same people who tend to snatch up everything that's officially released as soon as it's out, too. You really can't control how someone is going to viewor respond to a song...

And I must admit I've developed something of a boot fetish when it comes to Damien

I've heard people in the Damien trading community state a preference for Damien-specific resources such as the Damo hub and DamienRiceTrading because for the most part the only people aware of and sharing those shows are ardent fans and it's more select than putting it out there on the World Wide Web for just anybody...

I'd like to hear from Damien himself about the issue instead of his management but I don't remember ever hearing anything or readinganywhere that he stated his viewpoint.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
mariodiclerico
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmigliaccio
Should we consider lobbying management?

We built an entire site in order to lobby management. And let me sumup what I've been told: Don't waste your time. Things will or won't occur independent of anything we do.
mariodiclerico is offline   Reply With Quote