Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Washington show?

No review, no setlist yet... Did anyone go??
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Mylarbono
Eskimo Baby

Default Was There...

I've been around here forever, but never felt compelled to post until now--what is going on--nobody else went to the DC show? Seems so odd.

Anyway, it was a fantastic show. I've seen Damo several times before, one time being the unique DC show some years ago when Lisa sang most of the songs because Damo had lost his voice the night before, and while that show will always be one of those special unique shows, this one blew it away. Blew away seeing him in Atlanta, blew away all the times I've seen him before.

It seems as if every show I see, though, no recordings ever surface so I hope, hope, hope (though I am feeling as if I am in for another dissapointment) someone got an audio of this show. If anyone knows that it was recorded, let us know that we might have something to look forward to.

Anyway, I figured many others would be doing the setlist thing so I didn't write it down, but some songs played (not in order) were:

Then Go (a bit different)
Gently Johnny (lisa and marketa)
Cannonball (sans Mic.)
Cheers Darlin (while drinking a tray of wine and smoking)
I Remember (what a tidal wave)
Unplayed Piano
Yoshimi
Animals Were Gone
Older Chests
Rootless Tree
9 Crimes
Eskimo
Delicate
Blower's Daughter
Volcano

They played for just over two hours, and the crowd, for the most part, was really great. Lots of banter from Damo. Great show.

Sorry to be so brief and nonsensical, but at least you've got an idea now.
Mylarbono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Thanks for posting!!!! What do you mean by Then Go-a bit different??
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
panenka
Eskimo Baby

Here you have a couple of videos.
Blower's Daughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmA1s2UZlTM
9 crimes (a bit shaky and dark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_sa2Fqdva4

I have a 12 minute video of "Cheers darling" (better framed but dark) with the wine drinking and almost the full drunk performance, but YouTube only allows for 10. Any suggestions how to share it in full?
panenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
glo32
Eskimo Regular

thanks, beautiful videos!

you can upload the video on yousenit or on sendspace, if you want...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Mylarbono
Eskimo Baby

A little more Damo fiddling on the guitar, more electric, Damo sang much of what Lisa usually sings.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:51 PM   #7
panenka
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
I have a 12 minute video of "Cheers darling" (better framed but dark) with the wine drinking and almost the full drunk performance, but YouTube only allows for 10.
Here it is:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/o7mpu4
Old 12-17-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
MeltMeDownII
Eskimo Baby

amazing show. damo gets better every time I see him. i have a video of the unplugged/unmic'd "cannonball" but can't figure out how to flip it from sideways to right-side-up. anyone know how to do that? my camera only allows 3 min of recording per video, so i missed about 10 seconds of the song, but i have most of it in 2 parts. if i get it flipped, i'll post it on here.
MeltMeDownII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #9
stefferrelli
Eskimo Friend

I was at the show last night and it was nothing short of amazing. I've got like.. 5-7 videos from the show that I will get around to uploading sometime this week. I've also got many photos that I can upload as well. I got to meet some of the band after the show and they were nothing but totally nice.
stefferrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #10
panenka
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltMeDownII
amazing show. damo gets better every time I see him. i have a video of the unplugged/unmic'd "cannonball" but can't figure out how to flip it from sideways to right-side-up. anyone know how to do that? my camera only allows 3 min of recording per video, so i missed about 10 seconds of the song, but i have most of it in 2 parts. if i get it flipped, i'll post it on here.
Windows movie maker (WMM) should be able to do it, I think. It's pretty easy to use. Just open WMM, import your video, drag it to the timeline at the bottom and apply the video effect of rotation. It's done in three clicks. Once you've checked that it's fine, you just save the movie file in your computer. And done.

By the way, if you also import your second video you could stick it after the first one and create one single video.

Have fun!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:24 AM   #11
emmy
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
No review, no setlist yet... Did anyone go??
Sorry for the delay! I made a weekend trip of it so I didn't get home until just now.

There were only 2 things wrong with this performance. 1) It didn't last all night and 2) some idiot beside me felt the need to sing along to every song. Come on, guys, we all know the words, but I paid to hear Damien & Co. sing, not you.

I loved, loved, loved Then Go. I've always preferred the Damien version, but this one was amazing. The whole show was really fantastic, actually. And The Swell Season have 4 new fans for life in me and my friends.

What a great venue, too. The Lincoln was perfect for this kind of show - you didn't have to be all packed into a sweaty bunch of people in a "standing room only" kind of place. Wouldn't it be great if Damo wasn't quite so famous and you could still see him playing in pubs? Sigh.
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 AM   #12
Inuit
Eskimo Baby

I have the complete setlist saved - I'll post it and a comprehensive review later. Great show, as it's been said. Bit too busy to post right now though.
Inuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:58 AM   #13
stefferrelli
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuit
I have the complete setlist saved - I'll post it and a comprehensive review later. Great show, as it's been said. Bit too busy to post right now though.

Whenever you get a chance, I would love it if you would post it.
stefferrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 AM   #14
Mylarbono
Eskimo Baby

Does anyone know if this show was recorded in its entirety, either audio or video?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
Inuit
Eskimo Baby

someone already posted the set list under a different topic name, steff. something about boston shows - through dc in the topic line.
Inuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:05 PM   #16
gbs3769
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by panenka
I have a 12 minute video of "Cheers darling" (better framed but dark) with the wine drinking and almost the full drunk performance, but YouTube only allows for 10. Any suggestions how to share it in full?
If you can't get it to work on one of those file sharing websites, I could always host it for you.

- Matt
Old 12-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #17
gbs3769
Eskimo Regular

I am finally back in town and settled into the daily routine. The DC show was fantastic. I hate to do a review or anything like that, but we had a great time. Ended up heading out to McFadden's in Foggy Bottom for drinks after the show. Good times.

- Matt
Old 12-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #18
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylarbono
the unique DC show some years ago when Lisa sang most of the songs because Damo had lost his voice the night before,
does a recording of this event exist? I have only heard a Lisa version of Cannonball, but would love to hear her rendition of more songs that damien usually sings..

Welcome as a poster btw, Mylarbono!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #19
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Exist? yes, in part.
Will you hear it? No.

For reasons I'm not going to discuss.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #20
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
Exist? yes, in part.
Will you hear it? No.

Ok, now I wish I never asked
Why is it so secret, Mario?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #21
panenka
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
If you can't get it to work on one of those file sharing websites, I could always host it for you.

- Matt
Thanks, as I said a few posts before, you can find the "Cheers darling" 'performance' at:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/o7mpu4
Old 12-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #22
Mylarbono
Eskimo Baby

Cille:

Thanks for the welcome. As Mario said, only a portion of that first DC show exists as the security guards made the people stop taping. Now, I don't want to have people hate me already, but I've never understood why people are being the way they are about sharing the portion of that show that was recorded. I remember back the weeks after the show originally happened, people were arguing on here about it and (in my opinion) not really providing valid reasons--it was a unique show, people want to hear that. Anyway, as I said, I don't want to make anyone angry so I'm not going to go into it, but that's a short kind of answer.

-Mylar-
Old 12-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #23
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylarbono
Cille:

Thanks for the welcome. As Mario said, only a portion of that first DC show exists as the security guards made the people stop taping. Now, I don't want to have people hate me already, but I've never understood why people are being the way they are about sharing the portion of that show that was recorded. I remember back the weeks after the show originally happened, people were arguing on here about it and (in my opinion) not really providing valid reasons--it was a unique show, people want to hear that. Anyway, as I said, I don't want to make anyone angry so I'm not going to go into it, but that's a short kind of answer.

-Mylar-
THANK YOU for explaining it to me
- I didn't mean to pull up a huge discussion or anything anyways.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #24
itsasmallcrime
Eskimo Baby

hi there, long time lurker, first time poster.

i went to the show and could not have been more pleased with the setlist. the last time i saw damien & crew was in april of 2004, so it was about time!

the setlist was great. the crowd was amazing. we stayed after to try and meet him and i was surprised there weren't more people doing the same. damien said he's not signing autographs, which i had read about and anticipated but some people were very angry.

i was overjoyed that they performed 'unplayed piano' ... simply gorgeous!

i was at the 930club show where damien was sick and i too would love to hear it again. shame the entire thing wasn't recordeded!
itsasmallcrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #25
MeltMeDownII
Eskimo Baby

video of "cannonball" unplugged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfNwOhAiJsE

my camera only allows 3 min of video per shot, so i missed about 10-15 seconds of the last chorus... so excuse the awkward transition towards the end.
MeltMeDownII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #26
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
I thought that was pretty clear.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #27
Mylarbono
Eskimo Baby

Mario:

I don't know you and you don't know me, but other people seem to know you so I guess you've been around awhile and as I said before, I sure don't want to get off on a bad foot with anyone here, but why are you being so arrogantly obstinate about this? It doesn't matter if you feel you have a good reason or not; it doesn't matter if Damien himself told you DO NOT RELEASE THIS partial piece of a show; none of that requires you to be arrogantly obstinate. Your terse one and two sentence replies are not helpful to anyone; better just not to reply than to act high and mighty. As I said, I remember when this came up way back and someone (possibly you) was acting high and mighty about it back then, too. Can't you just say the show is unavailable?

Anyway, to those who wish to hear the scraps of this show, don't feel so bad: in the weeks after this show took place I heard an audio of The Professor/La Fille Danse and the quality was just unlistenable anyway (maybe there is another partial source out there that I don't know about, though).

Anyway, it'll probably never surface in full so I'm just hoping this most recent show does.

-Mylar-
Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 PM   #28
Mylarbono
Eskimo Baby

I did a quick search on the forums and came up with the following regarding that DC show several years back; I'm sure there's more in the forums somewhere, but here you go:

9:30 Club, Washington D.C.

One Set:
The Professor^, Older Chests, Cannonball^, Prague*, Woman Like a Man, Let Go, Cold Water > Eskimo^, Purple Haze^^, Tongue, Delicate^, I Remember

Encore:
Happy Birthday^^, Seven Nation Army^^, Volcano, The Green Fields of France, Blower's Daughter**, Be My Husband^, Silent Night^

Notes:
Pedestrian opened
^ Lisa on lead vocals; Be My Husband had everyone on percussion, and Silent Night just had Vyvienne on cello
* with Cheers Darlin'
^^ Vyvienne on lead with cello; Purple Haze went into a jam with the band, and Seven Nation Army featured Shane on drums
** with Creep (Radiohead)

And a thread or two on the subject:

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...highlight=Club

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...hlight=12.6.03

So a couple things I've rediscovered are that: A) I had a screename here once before apparently (total post count: one !!!) B) It was indeed our very same Mario being terse back then as well C) There were indeed several tapers and apparently the version Mario has/heard was of much better quality than the one I heard D) I still have heard no good reason why it was witheld; from Mario (back then): "The recording is superb, by the way. Great quality. It was going to be a filler on the Brooklyn show which was two nights later, but then it didn't fit. So it's just not being circulated."

P.S. Mario, I'm really not trying to pick a fight with you, you can cradle the precious recording forever, but people are interested and you're being a little rude and terse about it so there is no reason they can't have the info at least. that is out there.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #29
emmy
Eskimo Friend

there's a psychological term that fits here...

I think it is "delusions of grandeur"

I thought the whole point of Eskimo Friends was for sharing our mutual love for Damien Rice?
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #30
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltMeDownII
video of "cannonball" unplugged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfNwOhAiJsE

my camera only allows 3 min of video per shot, so i missed about 10-15 seconds of the last chorus... so excuse the awkward transition towards the end.

that was a good vid, thanks!