Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
krishay
Eskimo Baby

Red face paramount theatre show in oakland

I am curious who may be attending the paramount theatre show in Oakland this Saturday night....

I know it will be a great night...I recently saw him play there last December.
krishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Me going!!!!! Was there in Dec too!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
Dreamin'
Eskimo Baby

Default So, do you recommend it?! ;-)

I've never been.
Wasn't able to make December's. :-\

Would like to get tix now but wondering if ones in back of
front section are good enough at the Paramount?
Had an offer for a few seats in Row M.

Or should I hold out for better seats? (Sometimes they release
last minute wonderful seats, if I'm lucky, so might get much closer)

Would you say his show is esp. meaninful from up-close?
Where are your seats & where we they last time?

I'm ok w/gambling & trying closer to the show.
Just torn. I'm almost 99% sure, I'd like to go w/hubby.

Is there an Opening Act, & if so, do you like 'em? (know them?)
Thanks so much!! :-)
Dreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Last Dec I was in row A, so the first row after the pit and it was amazing, very very close... Now I've got row D but not center... I think row M is not that bad...

that place is huge, I won't recommend the balcony, is like two galaxys from the stage

Haven't heard about opening acts... maybe there's no one opening and he's gonna play longer or at least he won't have to worry about curfews and stuff...
Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Dreamin'
Eskimo Baby

Default Thanks! Also wondering...

Is Lisa with him on this tour? I read she wasn't at Saratoga
when he was here in the past.

Btw, my all-time fave venue is the Mountain Winery.
No chance he's going there this summer?

Hmmm...maybe I should wait & see if they release
seats closer, after all. I do think I was once in Row P for Sting,
and it felt pretty far away, in a way. Being that he's such a storyteller,
could be better to be closer! Make it feel much more intimate.
Thanks again!
Dreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Oooch Dreamin'... you need to go the news section...

Lisa left the band last month in the mid of the EU tour, she's no longer with the band... no more anymore... sad news indeed...

Looks like the tour will be more electric and rockier, that's why I was saying row M wouldn't be that bad...
Old 04-28-2007, 12:42 AM   #7
krishay
Eskimo Baby

Default so excited for tomorrow!!!!

I got very lucky and I was able to get tickets in the pit, Row X, front row...so I am very excited to say the least. I know it will be an amazing show, so I will see you there! If you want to meet before the show for a drink at Luka's, let me know...

Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
zachyd
I am blown away.

Well I am slowly becoming a big fan of Damien Rice. This is my second show of his...I was Row Y in the pit (second row) and was absolutely blown away. He is just as good, if not better, without Lisa. I am just blown away by that entire show.
zachyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
joe563
something strange

Just got back. Waited a good two hours for him to come out, found out he doesnt do pics or autographs. I'm SO flippin' freezing right now.

anyways, here's the set to the best of my knowledge with some tidbits:

1. Delicate (behind screen, dimly lit, lightbulbs)
2. Me My Yoke & I (the best I have ever heard it, the drums were intense and he used the screen to project shadows and silhouettes, dont like the song, but an amazing performance)
3. Volcano (screen lifted, hands down, the best performance of the night, soley for the fact that he did the first verse and chorus on the piano, it was AMAZING!)
4. Cannonball (back curtain lifted half-staff to reveal the screen for the color lighting)
5. I Remember (I really liked the lighting for this, really solid performance, but for being one of my favs, not the best I heard it, probably because of lisa's absense)
6. The Blower's Daughter (really amazing to hear Damien do the bridge, because I didnt realize his range was so high!)
7. Coconut Skins (amazing, the Bass drum is EXACTLY what this song needed, and the solos were spectacular)
8. Woman Like A Man (missed Lisa most on this one I think, oh and he did something really weird at the end? I couldnt understand, was it a cover or a new song or just some really weird improv? I couldnt make out the words, but I have never heard him do that before)
9. Older Chests (only time he talked to the crowd besides band introductions was before Older Chests and he said something to the effect about this being about old habits)
10. The Professor & La Fille Danse (the band came in for a little bit towards the end which really surprised me and was quite good )
11. Rootless Tree (Piano Version)
12. Cold Water/Hallelujah (Vyv on piano for the first half, dramatic ending and then the music stopped and Damien stepped in front of the mic and sang the first two verses/choruses of Hallelujah. Amazing ending

Encore:
13. Accidental Babies (dont care for this song, a little boring at times, but he surprised me when the band came in and the ending was AMAZING, I loved the piano at the end)
14. Cheers Darlin' (Glass of Wine & Cigarette in hand!)

Overall, he only played from about 8:20 - 9:45 including the time for the encore. So I was really disappointed, does anyone know why he is doing such short setlists?

There was this stupid old bitch waiting outside that basically hogged him the whole time, He didnt say much of worth or rather, worth repeating, but if I remember something interesting I'll let you know. My friends took pics, but we were row O, so I'll post them if they turn out.

Sorry if the set is a little screwed up, I know those are the songs he did, but the middle is a little fuzzy, but looking back, really it seems short, maybe I did forget one. hmmm?

Also, there was NO 9 Crimes, which is fine by me, but a little surprising that he was only at the piano for three songs tonight

Last edited by joe563; 04-29-2007 at 08:06 AM.
joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
joe563
something strange

Old 04-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I'm back too!!! your setlist is ok. He just did 14 songs and zero talking, he only said that Older chests was about old habits but that was 5 seconds, so yep, really too damn short show!!! I don't know why because there is no opening act, plenty of time to continue the show... I was surprised by his lack of stories and him not talking at all, especially since in the last two shows in Seattle & Portland he talked like crazy...

I thought the show was great, short but great, also a bit safe regarding song selections, it was like the Greatest hits show!!!

but the best part for me is that I finally managed to meet Damien!!!! and not only once but TWICE in the same day!!

First time was by pure pure chance. So I was walking down the street to the front of the venue, and suddenly a side door opens and Damien appears out of the blue, took me like 5 sec to recognize him, but then I called him, we shake hands, and I asked him to play FOOL (see, I did my homework) or Insane, he said Maybe, we'll see (which usually means no), then I told him I was from Barcelona, and he said, Wow, That's far from here, and then he left in a rush...

Then I met him again at the meet'n'greet after the show. I was surprised at how everyone was waiting with Cds and things to be signed, thought everyone knows he doesn't do it. He seemed very relaxed and took to us for a while. He mentioned they did have a sorta setlist for today, then he asked where were people from, and he asked if anyone was from somewhere unusual, and I jumped and said I'm from Barcelona, and then he asked me, Did you come all the way for the concert? and I said, no I live here... Then I ask him if he's gonna play more shows later in the year and he said he thought they're doing LA in SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then my friend asked him for a hug, and I said me too and he gave me a hug!!! I think he ended up huggind everybody!!!

I thought the show was amazing. They started playing behind this screen, but it was like transparent, well, like a net and they did Delicate. Then they did Me,My Yoke and I which is really powerful and I really loved the intro. Then the screen fell almost at the end of the song. Volcano was great, first part on the piano, then moving to the guitar. From then on, the mid part of the show was really a Greatest Hits: Volcano, Cannonball, I remember, The blower's daughter, all in a row!!!!!! Then they did the Coconut Skins/Jam/Woman like a man package, which ended with something I didn't recognize but sounded slightly familiar. I thought it might me a bit of a Metallica song, but not sure. Definetely a cover and of some metal band...

Then he did Older Chests, which was very quiet and he sand very well. The Professor next, and that's the good thing about Damien, that's the 3rd time this week i've seen him playing this song, and all three times slightly different. This time the band joined in for a bit, was great. After that we got the Rootless tree piano version, which I really wanted to hear. The drums joined during the second verse but they war faaaar too lud, you couldn't even hear the piano or the cello. And they finished the main set with Cold water, which was unbelievable. Vyv started on the piano, then moved to the cello. And he changed the lyrics in the part that Lisa sings on the album. He said 'No one's daughter, allow HER that... and I can't let go of HER hand'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear he sang that The ending was amazing as he did Cohen's Hallelujah w/o mic.

The encores were really good. First, Acc babies, with a long outro, first him and Vyv, then the band joining all for a while, then him and Vyv again and then him solo just hitting the high notes. He ended with Cheers darlin, no story, and just him with the backing music for the song. Great ending but damn too short show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #12
joe563
something strange

haha I think I know who you were, you were standing right by that lady who kept on asking him stupid questions and she was shorter and had curly hair, right?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

yep, that was me... where were you?

I was trying to figure out that bit of a heavy metal cover he did at the end of Woman like a man. Has to be some Metallica or AC/DC.
Also, when he started Woman like a man, didn't he play like the first notes of Nirvana's Teen spirit or is that both songs share some notes???
Old 04-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
joe563
something strange

I was on the other side of you if you were on the left of the lady haha, that's so bizarre

haha, my friend took this pic:

is that you on the right? cuz that's me on the left

anyways, someone on facebook said that it was "killing in the name of" by Rage Against The Machine
Old 04-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

No no, that was my friend, I was at the right side of the lady, I was the one who said I am from Barcelona...

Yep, Killing in the Name, that's right!!!! Thanks for sharing the pics!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #16
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Arrow Ahhhhhh! That was sooo cool!!!

What's up everyone!!! Great-****in'-show last night!!! All of you hit on several of the main points but I would just like to add a few more. By the way, the show last night was definitely an "O-lovers-dream!" So many great songs and many of them back to back, ah....I'm still livin' that high. Do you guys remember when near the end of Me, My Yoke and I where the screen that was rising up and it knocked off the entire first section of damien's mic stand? That was awesome. He just looked at it like "What the f*ck?" and everyone was surprised but they finished wonderfully. By the way, in the pic above that's me on the right. I'm surprised your friend was able to pull off such great pics, what kind of camera/camera phone does she use?

But yeah, that little Rage Against the Machine tidbit was so cool and completely unexpected. Me and my friend were seated in the PIT and when it happened we looked at each other and were like "Damn, what was that? That was so cool!" By the way, what'd you guys think of that homeless lady asking Damien to sign her Philidelphia 76ers jersey? Definitely a highlight for me. And sorry people, no autographs or duo pics were taken but there were many good attempts.

To tell you the truth, this was the third time I've seen Damien live and it wasn't until last night that I truly realized just how amazing he really is. You know, I've always held him in such high respects and I've been hooked ever since my first listen of O but something magical happened after last night's show and meet-n-greet. At this moment, I truly feel that he is way more sincere than many people give him credit for and I've never seen any performer work a crowd of ravaging fans like he did. His sincere interest in all of our conversations and just how warm he was really brought everything full circle and I've always knew I would be but I'm definitely a fan for life. This is me signing off and I can't wait until he returns. This band is stronger than ever and if there's anyone thinking about skipping out they better think twice if they know what's good for them. Don't miss this oportunity!

P.S.- Damien, thank you so much for the wonderful hug. I meant every word.

Last edited by Valentino; 04-29-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #17
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Oh and one more thing I forgot to mention. I think that Joel's addition to the band is superb. The very cool ambience kind of stuff he does is just amazing and it was really crazy (in a good way) when the whole band played Me, My Yoke and I this way. Oh and yes, Volcano on the piano is a great idea! By the way, anyone happen to catch what kind of electric Damien was using? And while we're at it, what kind was Joel playing?

Last edited by Valentino; 04-29-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

and anyone noticed the gorgeous girl that came after Damien when he did the meet'n'greet?? She was dressed in white and had long black hair and she was gorgeeous!!!! Crew member?? Girlfriend??
Old 04-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #19
krishay
Eskimo Baby

Default what an amazing night

It was a truly memorable night. I sat in the front row and I am so glad I was lucky to get these seats. I took a friend with me who had never seen him and it was his first time, hearing some of the songs. He said the songs really got to him, as he listened the lyrics for the first time!

I was also one of the lucky people to wait outside, freezing for 2 hours..but it was truly worth it!! I would have waited longer..... this my thrid time meeting him and he is very sweet.
I met him at the mountain winery in Saratoga last summer and we talked for some time about Ireland and he drew a picture for me and a little map, recommending places to go in Ireland. This was my first time meeting him, so it was amazing to talk to him for so long.
Then, I met him last December when he came to the Paramount. It was freezing outside and I waited for some time...and he came out for only a little while. I gave him a card and I told him we met at the Saratoga show in the summer. He said he was quite drunk then....but he did remember me.
So, last night was interesting because there were more people waiting than last night. I stood in the back of the crowd, so yes I remember all of you who were there!! The three young girls who gave him a pillow was very sweet....I could tell he was touched by their generosity.
I finally got his attention at the last minute, as I edged my way to the right side behind the young girls, right before he was going to depart to the bus....
He said he remembered me, gave me a hug and I asked him if he read the card. He was trying to remember the card and I told him I wrote a poem inside the card and I gave him a necklace. He said he remembers the necklace and he placed it inside his box at home. I was just happy to talk to him again. Then, he had to leave....so unfortunatley I did not get to talk to him longer...... it was amazing to see that he immediately recognized me and said he remembered me....
The show was truly amazing and he seemed to be in good spirits all night.
Joel Shearer from Pedestrian is a talented guitarrist and I am glad Damien asked him to join the tour...

I hope everyone had an amazing time....
Old 04-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #20
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishay
It was a truly memorable night. I sat in the front row and I am so glad I was lucky to get these seats. I took a friend with me who had never seen him and it was his first time, hearing some of the songs. He said the songs really got to him, as he listened the lyrics for the first time!

I was also one of the lucky people to wait outside, freezing for 2 hours..but it was truly worth it!! I would have waited longer..... this my thrid time meeting him and he is very sweet.
I met him at the mountain winery in Saratoga last summer and we talked for some time about Ireland and he drew a picture for me and a little map, recommending places to go in Ireland. This was my first time meeting him, so it was amazing to talk to him for so long.
Then, I met him last December when he came to the Paramount. It was freezing outside and I waited for some time...and he came out for only a little while. I gave him a card and I told him we met at the Saratoga show in the summer. He said he was quite drunk then....but he did remember me.
So, last night was interesting because there were more people waiting than last night. I stood in the back of the crowd, so yes I remember all of you who were there!! The three young girls who gave him a pillow was very sweet....I could tell he was touched by their generosity.
I finally got his attention at the last minute, as I edged my way to the right side behind the young girls, right before he was going to depart to the bus....
He said he remembered me, gave me a hug and I asked him if he read the card. He was trying to remember the card and I told him I wrote a poem inside the card and I gave him a necklace. He said he remembers the necklace and he placed it inside his box at home. I was just happy to talk to him again. Then, he had to leave....so unfortunatley I did not get to talk to him longer...... it was amazing to see that he immediately recognized me and said he remembered me....
The show was truly amazing and he seemed to be in good spirits all night.
Joel Shearer from Pedestrian is a talented guitarrist and I am glad Damien asked him to join the tour...

I hope everyone had an amazing time....

Oh so you're the one who gave him that card last year at the Paramount. That was so nice of you and I totally agree about the Asian girls who gave him that pillow. It was funny because while he was looking at it I said "Now that matches your shirt." He then held it next to his green shirt and tried to compare but then I was like "The patchwork-shirt." He looked up and laughed and said "Oh yes, the patchwork shirt. It's still hanging up there somewhere." He was referring to the tour bus at this point. By the way, I read a little bit of the writing on the pillow he was given and on one part it was sewn "The pillow in your pillowcase is easier to touch." That was so nice of them, maybe we should all get together and make something unforgettable for his next visit. I'm in! By the way, Damo looked very fit and healthy. Perhaps it's because of that makeshift-mountain bike he was carrying around.

Last edited by Valentino; 04-29-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #21
krishay
Eskimo Baby

Default a nice gift

I was thinking to myself before the show....what could i give to him?
I wish I brought something to give him again.. I wanted to give him a beautiful writing journal and I brought it with me to the show at Concord Pavilion show (and he did not come out to meet everyone), so I would love to come up with a memorable gift for the next show...
I am happy he kept the necklace...i hope he still has the card...

I wish I could be at the Coachellla show tonight...but it is too far at this point.
I think the show last night was more intimate...so I am happy I decided to stay in town for this show. I am sure Coachella will be amazing, but it may not be as quiet and intimate as last night

Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #22
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Just remember something else. He was wearing a Spanish T-shirt!!! had a drawing from 'El Quijote' you know from the classic book by Cervantes and then it said "Alcala de Henares 1999", a city in central Spain
Old 04-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #23
eemmoo
Eskimo Baby

Default Some good photos from Oakland Paramount Gig

follow link then click on "view as slideshow" on right

http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/JMurphy/DamienRice
eemmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #24
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemmoo
follow link then click on "view as slideshow" on right

http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/JMurphy/DamienRice

thanks for sharing...
i love his new hair cut, just love it!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #25
meggieprice
Eskimo Baby

Hi everyone! I am zachyd's Mom and Paramount was my third Damien concert- the first two being Mountain Winery last summer, Paramount in December...

I admit I had some trepidation going to this show as I loved the show with Lisa and I wondered how this would look.

I was completely and totally blown away by the show. He vaulted onto my MUST NOT MISS list and is hovering above my MUST FOLLOW AROUND THE COUNTRY list! (Dave Matthews and Bruce SPringsteen are on that short list)

Honestly I was in awe, mouth open, most of the show. Achingly beautiful, powerfully raw, magestic! I felt honored to be in the presence of a band in full flower of their passion.

WOW!!!!!

I will mosey over and introduce myself in the other thread...cause I am a true fan forever.
meggieprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #26
kaydub
Eskimo Baby

Was there an opener?
kaydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:35 AM   #27
meggieprice
Eskimo Baby

Not this time. I thought there would be as there was in December.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #28
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Nope, no opener this time. Perhaps this is why the show seemed shorter than usual. We're so used to having some other band take up some time that by the end of the night, it seems as if Damo played for 3 hours or something. But no complaints here, I had a great time and can't wait till he returns in September.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #29
meggieprice
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
Nope, no opener this time. Perhaps this is why the show seemed shorter than usual. We're so used to having some other band take up some time that by the end of the night, it seems as if Damo played for 3 hours or something. But no complaints here, I had a great time and can't wait till he returns in September.
He is coming in September? Details? Must see!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #30
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Yeah Damo talked with us after the show last Saturday and my friend asked him about his future touring schedule in California. September was the first thing that came out of his mouth but I'm pretty sure he was referring to a gig in LA. I'm sure he'll perform in northern California as well but keep in mind how things are always changing in Damo-land. So let's just say September give or take a few.