Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-21-2004, 07:31 AM   #1
Lucie
Eskimo Baby

hmm first post on here!
anyone at the brixton gig last night? it was one of the most beautiful gigs ive been to. apart from a few drunken bastards screaming at damien when he tried to play hallelujahby jeff buckley, the atmosphere was great and the quality of all of them live blew me away, definitely surpassed any expectations i had.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:34 AM   #2
Louise
Eskimo Regular

good for you lucie; im jealous. And im glad you didnt let the drunken bastards ruin your experience. [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
prague
Eskimo Friend

Sounds fantastic. I am going this evening. Can't wait. Watch outall of you trying to sabotage the show (although I am sure no users of this website would). I rarely issue threats and never get violent, but this is too special.
prague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Petra
Eskimo Regular

I was there!!! It was an incredible performance - i have been reliving the gig in my head all day today. Will stay with me for quite a while. So many highlights. Thanks damien and co!!!!!!!![img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #5
damofan
Eskimo Regular

i went last night and i was sooooo blown away y the shere talent of the man! and as for lisa!!! the voice of a true angel. i know what you mean about the drunken ejets!!! i told them to pipe down!!! i was on the front row standing! the candles, the mood, the chilled out atmosphere!!! best ive ever known!!! thanks damo and co!!!

charlie x x
damofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:29 PM   #6
Tomarse
Eskimo Regular

I was there!! He played two songs that i'd never heard berfore but I missed most of it cos one of my friends started to faint! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]I reckon they should have a no alcohol rule cos all the noise came from the dicks standing at the bar. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]Other than that it was truely amazing! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2004, 05:53 AM   #7
damofan
Eskimo Regular

oh my god wasnt it just amazing! i nearly died when lisa sang cold water!

damofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
Silver Surfer
Eskimo Baby

A truly stunning evening...Damien and Lisa were on top form....Cold Water and Delicate were my personal faves, along with the totally incendiary version of Volcano. Vyv's "Come together" was great...[Eleanor Rigby we'll leave to one side!]. It was the first time I'd been to The Academy, and I thought the venue was great, but I couldn't believe the volume of background noise...mainly from mindless f**kwits at the bar. If someone cares enough about Damien's music to pay good money to go and see him, then why couldn't they just shut the f**k up and let Damien reach the emotional intensity that they would surely like to have shared in. Life is a mystery sometimes.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:26 AM   #9
administrator
forum administrator

i read on the frames board that julia roberts, natalie portman and jude law were at that gig. anyone know if that's true?
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #10
AdiP
Eskimo Baby

Yes it's true - I heard it on the radio yesterday morning!
AdiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
administrator
forum administrator

cool, can you let me know what station said that so i can put it up on the news section
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #12
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmettu2
i read on the frames board that julia roberts, natalie portman and jude law were at that gig. anyone know if that's true?

O m g

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #13
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia

Quote:

O m g

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
I agree with you there Patricia, Jude Law is Beautiful[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] And seems to have great taste in music[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:40 AM   #14
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

I've beenover my fan-of-a-gorgeous-actor for a long, long time now, but there's still 2framed picson my wall:

one of Jude's profile, smoking a fag, and one of Dermott Mulroney playing cello. They're both black & white pics, and so beautiful I'll always have them decorate my room![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2004, 12:59 PM   #15
Petra
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

If Jude Law was there - why didnt he come over and ask me out? He missed his opportunity there - ah well, his loss!!!!!!![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2004, 08:58 AM   #16
Awaywithefaries
Eskimo Baby

Jude Law???? REALLY? I'm so proud that man's British!

Natalie Portman's like my idol too!!! On the Friday show or Saturday's??

Also- Damofan... which side where you standing, we coulde been stood next to each other cos I was at the front.
Awaywithefaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #17
megomoo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra

Quote:

If Jude Law was there - why didnt he come over and ask me out? He missed his opportunity there - ah well, his loss!!!!!!![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

he probably felt too shy!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:09 PM   #18
Petra
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megomoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra

Quote:

he probably felt too shy!

Yeah - probably intimidated my my overwhelming beauty![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2004, 02:36 PM   #19
JamesD
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucie

hmm first post on here!
anyone at the brixton gig last night? it was one of the most beautiful gigs ive been to. apart from a few drunken bastards screaming at damien when he tried to play hallelujahby jeff buckley, the atmosphere was great and the quality of all of them live blew me away, definitely surpassed any expectations i had.

btw/fyi - Buckley is one of a host of artistis to cover this Lenoard Choen song... including a recent (ish) Disney/Pixar film... anyone care to name it?

Damien did it acoustic (no amplification) on Friday, and with only 5 strings on Sat... <sigh> what a guy.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:39 PM   #20
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD

btw/fyi - Buckley is one of a host of artistis to cover this Lenoard Choen song... including a recent (ish) Disney/Pixar film... anyone care to name it?

Shrek? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2004, 02:44 PM   #21
Bumpman

Hallelujah is one of the 3 most covered songs of all time, the statistics keep fluctuating, but it's somewhere over 500 times now.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #22
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Hey everyone I feel writing this post mabye pointless in case nobody ever replys....but i feel that no one else can see or feel how awsome the gig was on friday 20th February. You people here look like the onlyt people who will understand me. Damien Rice's music is soo undescribable. No words can describe it. His show was mind blowing. He wasn't a normal performer who just plays the tracks off his albums then sods off. He reached such an intesity and beautiful atmosphere. His music was felt all around me. Damien has one of those bands where every member is important. Each part of every song sounded so good. Lisa Hannigens voice is like an angel. I think it's bulllsh*t when they give people like Charlotte Church titles like that because now she shows that she couldn't give a sh*t about music. But Lisa is something else. Viv's excellent cello playing and what a delight was her beatles tributes. To hear the drums and bass on some of the songs that i didn't expect sounded so cool and appropriate. There is so more that i can say about Damien Rice. He is a true showsman with so much charisma and passion about him. The frustrating thing about music so good is that you want to be a part of it....but Damien Rice that friday night i felt as if i had known him for a long time. By writing this i sound like some old cheesy Romantic but only 16 years of age. Please someone reply to this and say they agree with me......thanks Damien and your band.....that night will never ever leave my mind ever.....
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #23
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Thank you for cheering and warming me up, as I'm lookin forward to the upcoming friday gig! Yay! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:02 PM   #24
prague
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestonf
Damien Rice's music is soo undescribable. No words can describe it..................

Well, you managed to find the words from somewhere. And yes, I agree with all of them.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #25
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

[quote=mestonf] He reached such an intesity and beautiful atmosphere. His music was felt all around me. and passion about him.

I felt the same way when I saw him live for the first time. You feel like he uses his whole body and soul. It really seemed like his body was an istrument, he had no boundries between himself and the audience, he seemed very vulnerable. It was such a spiritual experience, not just a rock concert.[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #26
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucie

hmm first post on here!
anyone at the brixton gig last night? it was one of the most beautiful gigs ive been to. apart from a few drunken bastards screaming at damien when he tried to play hallelujah*by jeff buckley, the atmosphere was great and the quality of all of them live blew me away, definitely surpassed any expectations i had.

I was there, soo good! I agree about the w**kers, people who don't like someones music shouldn't be so thick to go and buy a ticket. It is nice to see other Damien followers!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #27
Awaywithefaries
Eskimo Baby

Hey,

mestonf... I so totally agree with everything you've said, I was there the same day... right at the front... ahem... I believe I have already mentioned that... yeh

and jbalogh... I've said the EXACT same thing about the way Damien plays before! The way he plays the guitar with his whole body and performs with his whole soul, really honest.

Question... what does Damien do with the videos of his shows? It would be interesting to see if my friend's tuneless warbling got recorded when the camera man was right in front of us!
Awaywithefaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:06 PM   #28
prague
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaywithefaries

Question... what does Damien do with the videos of his shows? It would be interesting to see if my friend's tuneless warbling got recorded when the camera man was right in front of us!

Good question and worth repeating. I got the front row on the Saturday night and there was a cameraman in front of me. He recorded Damien & co. but left when they went off stage after an hour and didn't come back when they did (unless he found a better angle).

Just editing to add that there wasn't a better angle. It was perfect.Edited by: prague
Old 03-08-2004, 04:35 PM   #29
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaywithefaries

Hey,

mestonf... I so totally agree with everything you've said, I was there the same day... right at the front... ahem... I believe I have already mentioned that... yeh

and jbalogh... I've said the EXACT same thing about the way Damien plays before! The way he plays the guitar with his whole body and performs with his whole soul, really honest.

Hey
thanks for replying to my post.
only new at this and didn't realise that forums actually worked.
Yeah i was at the front, you probably saw me
I agree i wish Damien Rice would bring out a DVD and at the Brixton Academy it had a sign on the wall saying "Some of tonights performance will be recorded aurally and visually" So i hope he brings out a DVD or VHS. He Has brought out a version of "O" with three songs on it in DVD form. But that is a bit annoyung it means i will have to buy the album again.
So are you thinking of seeing Damien RIce again??
mestonf