title says it all
tomek322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek322
title says it all
I just got the very first copy of it in the mail today!

My pal is the one who taped the show and I'm thrilled to say that just like the last time I sat next to a friend who was taping a Damo show (Easter '04) the essentially unplugged setup translates into an almost perfect, undiluted recorded portrait of the event itself. The crowd is nearly silent apart from the occasional attempts to stifle winter coughs mostly between songs and the odd ambient drinking/ice chomping sound. The one problem with Pittsburgh was that the extremely quiet spots are barely audible but since we're only sitting about 4 feet away from the band this time it never gets that low and although it isn't even mixed yet the show is crystal clear, gorgeous and powerful.

Destined to be one of the best show recordings ever made of an already legendary live band. Apart from Vyv's delightful drunken antics, the show is nothing but highlights. Easily the best non-solo voiced rendition of "Grey Room" and "Dogs" in particular has never been done better. I may be wrong but I don't believe "Rootless" has ever been played on the Rhodes live before or since but it really should because here the mood created is palpable and eerily sacred.

Can't leave out the fact that there's also the jaunty yet truly beautiful song Lisa wrote which I don't believe she'd ever played before. In fact, the only thing that isn't ideal about this tape is that the show unfortunately ends abruptly in the middle of "Elephant" which means "Volcano" and "BD" are not contained on the discs. Luckily both of those were captured on video by others so most can still get a pretty complete picture of the show as a whole.

I promised him I would not share the unmixed version so please don't anyone PM me asking to hear the breathtakingly powerful "Happy Red Nose" (picture a Pearl Jam ballad-mixed with a Bob Marly protest song-simultaneously insanely catchy and poignant like always but although Damo's style is incredibly varied it doesn't sound like anything you'd ever expect he'd come up with) which that evening instantaneously jumped into my top 3 unreleased Damo tunes and only proves even stronger upon the opportunity to finally examine the lyrics) or anything else my version isn't even tracked anyway. Just writing this to assure everyone that not only is it coming and it turned out to be almost everything you'd want in a show recording. So just be patient, my friends, and the rewards will be monumental.

To tide y'all over I'll transcribe all of the lyrics to both new songs this weekend so at least you can get some idea of what they're like. Sound good?
Old 02-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Great!! Good for you!!! and you sure Lisa's song is an original?? We all thought the same about Green eyes/Courting blues... maybe you can google some of the lyrics!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

hmm i just pm'ed a certain someone about this the other day, i must have felt the vibe that it was out there

i think an initial attempt (during the show?) was made at transcribing the lyrics to red nose happy already, spam

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...ght=nose+happy

that should give you a start to filling in the blanks
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Great!! Good for you!!! and you sure Lisa's song is an original?? We all thought the same about Green eyes/Courting blues... maybe you can google some of the lyrics!!!
Yes, I did to make sure but I didn't need to since this one is unmistakably Lisa-an. I can't say enough about how wonderfully unique it is. It's like all 3 of her Sligo tunes rolled up into one! Picture a slinky, gentle, lazy, smoky Norah Jones type vibe to the vocal mixed with the perky quirkiness of a Suzanne Vega/Regina Spektor/Jill Sobule/Nelly McKaye playful bounce. Complete with chorus (Tomo) whistling.

Sis, no I remember that thread. Mario's my homie but he was scribbling away in the dark struggling to keep up and his estimate that what he got down "was 85% right" is easily about 35% less than that!

BTW, he's not the one who recorded what I have. He and I talked about it and he didn't have his proper equipment setup that night. Plus, he was sitting way over by the bar about as far as you could get from the stage in that intimate venue. What he got is probably akin to your recording of Madison cause he wouldn't let me nor his other rabid concert going entourage (who he proudly shares every recording with) hear it, it was so poor.

Last edited by Spamlet; 02-04-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

I'm glad to hear such a great piece of Damien Rice history was recorded.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 AM   #7
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ ditto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Yes, I did to make sure but I didn't need to since this one is unmistakably Lisa-an. I can't say enough about how wonderfully unique it is. It's like all 3 of her Sligo tunes rolled up into one! Picture a slinky, gentle, lazy, smoky Norah Jones type vibe to the vocal mixed with the perky quirkiness of a Suzanne Vega/Regina Spektor/Jill Sobule/Nelly McKaye playful bounce. Complete with chorus (Tomo) whistling.

Sis, no I remember that thread. Mario's my homie but he was scribbling away in the dark struggling to keep up and his estimate that what he got down "was 85% right" is easily about 35% less than that!

BTW, he's not the one who recorded what I have. He and I talked about it and he didn't have his proper equipment setup that night. Plus, he was sitting way over by the bar about as far as you could get from the stage in that intimate venue. What he got is probably akin to your recording of Madison cause he wouldn't let me nor his other rabid concert going entourage (who he proudly shares every recording with) hear it, it was so poor.
okay cool, that's good to know. ah at least he tried, bless his heart.. damn equipment failures..

the lisa song sounds interesting, but i'm really looking forward to hearing red nose happy/red happy nose/the red nose of happiness..

haha the title makes me laugh! i wonder if theres a better name for it? it was easy to come up with fear from the madison gig, otherwise we'd be calling it yellow fear elbow/penis
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
vidiot
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
I just got the very first copy of it in the mail today!

My pal is the one who taped the show and I'm thrilled to say that just like the last time I sat next to a friend who was taping a Damo show (Easter '04) the essentially unplugged setup translates into an almost perfect, undiluted recorded portrait of the event itself. The crowd is nearly silent apart from the occasional attempts to stifle winter coughs mostly between songs and the odd ambient drinking/ice chomping sound. The one problem with Pittsburgh was that the extremely quiet spots are barely audible but since we're only sitting about 4 feet away from the band this time it never gets that low and although it isn't even mixed yet the show is crystal clear, gorgeous and powerful.

Destined to be one of the best show recordings ever made of an already legendary live band. Apart from Vyv's delightful drunken antics, the show is nothing but highlights. Easily the best non-solo voiced rendition of "Grey Room" and "Dogs" in particular has never been done better. I may be wrong but I don't believe "Rootless" has ever been played on the Rhodes live before or since but it really should because here the mood created is palpable and eerily sacred.

Can't leave out the fact that there's also the jaunty yet truly beautiful song Lisa wrote which I don't believe she'd ever played before. In fact, the only thing that isn't ideal about this tape is that the show unfortunately ends abruptly in the middle of "Elephant" which means "Volcano" and "BD" are not contained on the discs. Luckily both of those were captured on video by others so most can still get a pretty complete picture of the show as a whole.

I promised him I would not share the unmixed version so please don't anyone PM me asking to hear the breathtakingly powerful "Happy Red Nose" (picture a Pearl Jam ballad-mixed with a Bob Marly protest song-simultaneously insanely catchy and poignant like always but although Damo's style is incredibly varied it doesn't sound like anything you'd ever expect he'd come up with) which that evening instantaneously jumped into my top 3 unreleased Damo tunes and only proves even stronger upon the opportunity to finally examine the lyrics) or anything else my version isn't even tracked anyway. Just writing this to assure everyone that not only is it coming and it turned out to be almost everything you'd want in a show recording. So just be patient, my friends, and the rewards will be monumental.

To tide y'all over I'll transcribe all of the lyrics to both new songs this weekend so at least you can get some idea of what they're like. Sound good?
Spam,
I can't tell if you are rubbing in the fact that you have this AMAZING living taping or if you just want us to drool about it for awhile. Why mention you have it and tell us how great it is if we can't get our hands on it? Will it ever be put out as a torrent?
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Spamlet, how long would you say it will be?

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:45 AM   #10
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

I keep coming back with the distant hope that more info will be given to us about this show. Is it going to come around here anytime soon????
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote