Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
morrigan
Eskimo Baby

Ahh Damien... I am sure you wont be reading this, but I felt the need to post it and see if I am the only one-

First of all, I feel the need to say SORRY to you about your Chicago show- I felt embarassed for my city. As a musician myself, I know how hard it is getting into your music and trying to put on a good show when people are being pissers- I know it sucks. But every time I have had to deal with a-holes, I just remember that there are 100+other ones in the audience that really do care. I was one of those people- everyone around me was as well. The group that I went with, are not big concert people (at least big acts/venues). We do the punk shows/jazz clubs. When we heard that you were coming to our town, we jumped at the chance to see you perform.

You are really, really an amazing musician- everyone in the band was awesome (especially Vyvienne Long). The music was impressive- you really blew everyone away....with that said I feel guilty even thinking negatively, but the only interaction with the audience was when you yelled twice for the asshole to shut the f**k up. Was the whole atmosphere or "vibe" really that horrific? I remember reading reviews from your other shows. They labeled you as a true performer: telling stories, interacting with the audience etc. I am not saying that is only what I go to shows for, but it does change the dynamics- it makes it an experiance (that is why many people, including myselflike smaller venues, for the intimacy of it all) It just felt that performing for us that night was the last place you wanted to be- if that was the case, then once again, I feel the need to apologize - sorry. I hate leaving disapointed or just plain embarrased, and I just hope you don't hate our city.

Thanks....

.....ok, well after my rant I feel a bit better. I don't mean to come off like a sh*t head, I guess I just wanted more. Does anyone else who went to the show feel the same?

And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid..."
~Joni Mitchell~ A Case of You
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
JasonPaul
Eskimo Baby

I know what you mean. I think that the way some people were talking during the show was ridiculous, and I see where Damien was coming from by telling them to be quiet. But on the other hand, he could've dealt with it in a different manner that might've lightened the mood a little bit. At any rate, I think the show was brilliant. Damien and his band played so well, it was very intense. This was also my first encounter with the Frames and I thought they were great. Me and my friend had the honor of meeting Glenn after the show and he was just the nicest guy ever. He signed the CDs we bought and chatted with us for a few minutes. So all in all, I enjoyed it.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
morrigan
Eskimo Baby

I think musically the show was awesome- that is why I feel guilty even bringing up the rest, so yes, I agree with you, brilliant players(his drummer rocks by the way! just had to mention that..I have a thing for drummers ~hehe)

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Frames gig- that is what I am talking about! Cool that you had a chance to talk with them, that is always a blast. I am going to have to check them out when they come back (hopefully they were not scared away!)
And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid..."
~Joni Mitchell~ A Case of You
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
lonelilly
Eskimo Friend

don't worry, there's always going to be those kind of people at any kind of concert, no matter what city! when he was here, at the tower theater, there was a few people waaaay up in the balcony (one guy in particular, though) who kept screaming at inappropriate times. well, during the encore when glen came out to sing with everyone, the guy shouted, and glen was like, "SHUT UP!" it was hilarious, cos everyone starting cheering, and then glen started screaming like the guy was doing all night. i think that was a nice way for the problem to be resolved!
lonelilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
cille
creepycute

hey morrigan - sounds like you're not the only one feeling like this.. see this string