Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 01-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #31
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

I wasnt saying anything about Fiona, i know she's does a top class job, and from the sounds of it always goes out of her way to help everyone, and reply to all messages.

That sounds like a simple solution to the problem. I wonder though, how many tickets they could allocate for members? With the venues he plays in Ireland, the capacityaround 1000.

At 2 tickets per person = 500 members or 4 tickets per person = 250 members

So basically for it to have any impact, the gig would want to be totally dedicated to the fan club.
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:39 PM   #32
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
Now I won't have a bad word said about Fiona, after I mailed her about all my confusion yesterday (see various threads where I recounted the whole sorry tale) she really went out of her way for me when she could have ignored me. I have tickets now.

The woman is a saint.
I don't think anyone here would say anything bad about her. Maybe we should have a praise Fiona thread?

Anyway... I really think the fanclub idea can work. You don't need to have a long pre-order time... just allocate say 50% of tickets to the club. All club members who want to go submit by email/website/post (if post allowed then you maybe need two weeks notice). If it is over-subscribed then seniority decides who gets tickets, the others can still try the public purchase. If undersubscribed the extra tickets can go on sale later, like happened today.

You don't need to worry about passwords or anything. Your tickets held at the door, need ID to get them...or just to get in... maybe do away with tickets? I'm sure Michael O'Leary (boss of Ryanair) would help us out on that one. Hmmm... a ticket-less concert... at least for members.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:43 PM   #33
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

50% to fans, 2 tickets each... 250 members... based on seniority... and 500 tickets on public sale...

Just think on this site... 1200 members... maybe 300 from Ireland... we wouldn't all want to go to every gig...

Maybe another addition to the seniority thing, would say if you got tickets for one gig on a tour your seniority drops... so people who didn't get to go will be more senior for the next gig... a bit of thought could make that work well.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #34
marina
Eskimo Regular

hey do ye think the Fiona on the DR website is the same Fiona that came on stage at the end of the Vicar St gig......just a thought
Old 01-14-2004, 01:47 PM   #35
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina

hey do ye think the Fiona on the DR website is the same Fiona that came on stage at the end of the Vicar St gig......just a thought
Fiona didn't come on at the end of the gig did she? Was that her who sang? I thought I heard a different name... if it's her she sure can sing!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #36
marina
Eskimo Regular

i thought they introduced her as 'Fiona who was on tour with us'...but i could be wrong......have to head off now fellow eskimos chat tomorrow....be good
Old 01-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #37
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Maybe another addition to the seniority thing, would say if you got tickets for one gig on a tour your seniority drops... so people who didn't get to go will be more senior for the next gig... a bit of thought could make that work well.

I understand that people who miss out should get to go the next time, but i think that the seniority should work on rewarding you on how many gigs you've been to, not the other way round.

I agree with you though, this could work. Im offereing my help in anything that comes from this. I've been stung without tickets too many times!Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 01-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #38
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

I asked Fiona about that and apparently it wasn't her at all - it was somebody who was with Pedestrian, not Damien's sister Fiona.

I say fair play to Fiona for maintaining the site, selling tickets on it with no booking fee, and replying to all our emails about various topics.

I don't agree, and have never agreed, with limits on the amount of ticketspeople can buy. Myself and 11 of my mates,who are all huge DR fans, went to the Dec Vicar Street gig and I bought all 12 tickets. People on this forum gave me abuse for that but I didn't see the problem with it. I was meant to get 10 for next months gigs but only managed 4 - I'm pissed off and so are 6 of my mates who won't get to go, but it ain't Fiona's fault and it certainly ain't Damiens fault. Maybe his popularity has kinda passed him by since he's out of the country so much and doesn't realise that he could sell out 10 nights in Vicar Street!!

The people who buy 10 tickets (like that prick that we were talking about yesterday) do NOT buy their tickets from any website - they havesomeone on the inside who gets the tickets for them, and you'll NEVER be able to stop thesepeople. They are c*unts butthey're everywhere.

A solution to the ticket problems? Only one way, DR plays more nights in more Irish cities ina properly organised tour, and none of the "oh my god like, Damien Rice is like so cool like" gang are allowed come!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:55 PM   #39
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

i thought they introduced her as 'Fiona who was on tour with us'...but i could be wrong......have to head off now fellow eskimos chat tomorrow....be good

Her name is Carrie Tree
Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #40
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Ticketmaster contributes to the problem, because the staff can print off as many tickets as they like and put them aside, for friends, or even selling them themselves. The should be taken out of the equation. Damo could easily sell all tickets without them!
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 01-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #41
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

yeah Pearl Jam are great about concert tickets, but not many bands have those kind of resources behind them that they can set up a ticketing system like that and bypass Ticketmastard. Pity I let my membership to the PJ fanclub lapse.. I signed up back around '94 sometime.

That's a great idea Dave about allocating to fans registered on websites or whatever. I was the third person ever registered here and the ninth person registered on dr.com and I've no *@*~£$ tickets either.

Vicar St. seated:1,200
Registered eskimo friends: 1,199

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #42
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Didn't Justin Trousersnake have a system in place for his Vicar Street show?

Basically, you booked your ticket and had your name put down. Then, a few hours before the event, anyone who will be recieving the ticket (the purchaser and friends) must go to the box office - where they will show photographic ID to confirm they are the purchaser. Wristbands will then be put on place (the ones that are very difficult to remove without breaking) and must be worn to gain entry later (aswell as the ticket).

It's about the best anti-tout system I've heard of, but the hassle of it still annoyed some people (understandably).
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #43
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

but that'd only work if..

A) you could get online in the middle of the day
B) you have a credit card
C) you lived in Dublin
D) didn't have a day job to work at
E) could get to the city centre quickly

How much more f**kin difficult could they make it??Edited by: Loveless
Old 01-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #44
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

True!

Its one of those things that there'll always be someone who misses out. Unfortunatley i've been one of those people too many times!

I think Scons way would work with the fan club idea. Members get seniority, and book their tickets, and then follow what Scon said.</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 01-14-2004, 04:00 PM   #45
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

That way you wouldnt have to live in Dublin. The credit card thing is always gonna be an issue,
but you'd have a certain amount of time to arrange this because of getting advance notice.</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 01-14-2004, 04:08 PM   #46
Scon
Eskimo Regular

I think there has to difficulty involved for purchasers in any move to cut the touts out. An unfortunate side-effect.

I decided to mention that one, because it's one of the few ideas I've seen in practice recently.
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #47
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

I guess I was probably just refering to the Justin situation there in my second post, but yes anything that cuts outs the touts is a good thing, even if it mean a bit more hassle for genuine fans.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #48
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

if thats damo on the main website then ill eat my hat...

i doubt damien rice would post a message saying "oh by the way, whats your favourite song on O"?
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:58 AM   #49
Redhead
Eskimo Baby

Geez! I understand that loads of people are fed up that they didn't get tickets and I was the same when I missed out in Dec, but looking at the sites there really are probably less than 100 tickets for sale above the asking price (I'm going to assume that anyone asking €30 or less is a genuine fan) so that means that if there were 1400 tickets sold for each night then approx 2700 genuine fans are going to the gigs. Remember that if you start setting up seniority and you miss out on tickets then you'll get bumped down each time and get a less and less chance of going the next time. I agree that we all hate the touts, but if anthing is unfair it's the fact that they were on sale the day before for a short time! Everybody enjoys the initimate venues and probably doesn't want Damo to play bigger ones so this is the consequence. Still more dates and venues throughout the country wouldn't go astry!Food for thought!
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:01 AM   #50
Redhead
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller

i doubt damien rice would post a message saying "oh by the way, whats your favourite song on O"?

Jeweller, if you look closely that post was by 'damo' with a small d and the other two posts were by 'Damo' with a capital D so maybe, just maybe, the firsttwo were him and the last one not?? Anyway wouldn't it be nicer to believe it was him????

Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:02 AM   #51
marina
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kitten
Quote:

Her name is Carrie Tree
ooops my bad, thought if it afterwards that it could have been Damo's sister (Fiona on his website)but obviously not her either, sorry about all the confusion
Old 01-15-2004, 04:15 AM   #52
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller

Jeweller, if you look closely that post was by 'damo' with a small d and the other two posts were by 'Damo' with a capital D so maybe, just maybe, the first two were him and the last one not?? Anyway wouldn't it be nicer to believe it was him????

Yeah, i was looking at that, and i think that "damo" was asking "Damo" what his favourite song on "O" was. Not saying the "Damo" was the real deal! but everyone (including myself) thought that it definitely couldnt be him after asking that! But now im not so sure.

Maybe its coincedence but he did say </font>
"I cant say too much but you all will get another chance

Thank you for your patience

....ce trus porfois et la confise nuit

And then the 100 tickets were released</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 01-15-2004, 04:18 AM   #53
marina
Eskimo Regular

and then i got tix woohoo!!
Old 01-15-2004, 04:46 AM   #54
Michelle Joey
Eskimo Psychologist

I definitely think it was Damien It reallysounds like him anyway (just the firsttwo)and he did put French in Can anyone translate it?

Fiona is great I agree-really helpful and friendly [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]Edited by: Michelle Joey
Michelle Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:04 AM   #55
marina
Eskimo Regular

star for fiona for being so good [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 07:27 AM   #56
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Dont you just love Fiona's[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 07:56 AM   #57
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

I have to give to her! She does a blindin job!</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 01-15-2004, 08:03 AM   #58
marina
Eskimo Regular

hear hear [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 10:14 AM   #59
Rice Krispies
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kitten
Quote:

Her name is Carrie Tree

ooops my bad, thought if it afterwards that it could have been Damo's sister (Fiona on his website)but obviously not her either, sorry about all the confusion

I made the same mistake and had some mail tennis with fiona on tuesday regarding the same point. Shes really nice and patient. Told me there was no plans for Limerick gigs at all.

Regarding the tickets situation i like the idea of a sort of loyalty system. The more you go you get first choice on tickets. But where do you draw the line then in terms of new people getting access to him? As opposed to the diehard fans that watch all his gigs. Real problem esp with his understandable reluctance to play larger venues.

Hello everyone by the way. Newbie alert.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #60
Michelle Joey
Eskimo Psychologist

Hey Rice Krispies Welcome aboard!
Michelle Joey is offline   Reply With Quote