Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-24-2003, 11:03 AM   #1
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Anyone else see the song some guy posted on the message board on damienrice.com asking Damien to sing it for him? I wonder if Damien will actually do it for him...

http://www.damienrice.com/message%20board/music/index.php?action=view&id=6829

If anyone is going to the LA show on Oct 4th let us know if hesings it for the guy...
Old 09-24-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

i have no idea if Damo will or not but.. i just love your avatar! i used to have massive crush onspiff when i was a kid. i was just so completely crushed when their comic retired.i think i still am. =/Edited by: tis_me_Tania
tis_me_Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 01:10 PM   #3
spiff
Eskimo Regular

I was devestated when Bill Watterson decided to call it quits too! Have all the books and used to love getting a new one every christmas, it's just not the same anymore! Stupendous man was probably my favourite though Spiff was really cool too.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
administrator
forum administrator

yeah, me three. but i think there are enough to keep me entertained forever, i never get tired of calvin and hobbes.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, I'd say I've read all the books at least ten times each and they still make me laugh.

For those who had a deprived childhood/adulthood and haven't a clue what the hell we're talking about the best site for getting comic strips is:

http://www.reemst.com/calvin_and_hobbes/

Old 10-01-2003, 04:14 AM   #6
katinka
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff

Anyone else see the song some guy posted on the message board on damienrice.com asking Damien to sing it for him? I wonder if Damien will actually do it for him...

I read it and I think it's quiet heavy to ask a question like that....escpecially on a public message board. I would never ever ask a question like that. Besides, I think Damien writes lyrics about his own life and his own feelings. Howcould anyone ask him this??? I really don't understand people like that...
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:39 AM   #7
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, if I was ever going to do something like that I sure wouldn't be posting it up on a message board. If it means so much to the guy it would have been better to talk to Damien in person but that's putting an awful lot of unfair pressure on Damien then. Still, I suppose your perspective changes when you're dying of cancer.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:37 AM   #8
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

I think the beauty of the post was he survived unless I read it wrong. Unless I have been in his shoes(which I am not gratefully), I really can't sit and judge what I would/would not do. Watching a close friend go through that mess last year, it's no picnic. I don't know about the rest of you but I certainly don't act/think perfectly normal when I am going through some trauma or coming out of it for that matter.. I was kind of touched with the outpouring of response from different people including singer/songwriters offering to help him. Reminds me there are a lot of good hearted people out there...
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 09:27 AM   #9
spiff
Eskimo Regular

So did Damien sing the song for the guy? (see the top post)

And did you get to tape the show AllThatLies?
Old 10-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #10
stargift
Eskimo Friend

I'm the guy. I didn't want him to sing it at the show if that is what you mean. I was just hoping that if he ever had any spare time and was in the mood that he could make me a cd or tape of it and send it to me for my personal use (for my family) to have to remember me by. I did meet him after the show backstage. He had a real bad night (L.A. leprechuns) but he gracioously spent a few minutes with me as I explained the situation and gave him the lyrics. He said that he would mull over the idea and if he decided to do it that he wouldn't want anything in return. My brother gotDamien's and Tomo's and Vivienne's autographs while we were hanging out. I gave him a couple other songs to look at and said that this would give them all something to laugh about on the tour bus. We also had a nice conversation with the lead singer from pedestrian and a singerfrom Spain and also Shane Fitzsimons.Damien was really worn out. We invited him to go with us to Roscoe's Waffles and Chicken down the street, but he said that he was a vegetarian. We told him that we would catch up with him again at Cane's in San Diego. We really enjoyed the show and we told him that even though he was all worried about the sound that the audience loved everything. We were the 4 tall guys blocking everyone'sview in the middle of the floorin front of the stage.

Thanks everyone,

Larry
stargift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:08 PM   #11
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

When you say that he had a bad night do you mean that he sounded bad or the sound system sounded bad? Did he just seem tired? It seems that he doesn't take good care of himself lately.. He has the short prize concert tonight to, than Leno, Yikes! Also was Lisa there? I think he said she was flying in for the show... I should add of course congratulations on at least talking to him and giving him the lyrics, good luck!Thanks for the info.....Edited by: jbalogh
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:46 PM   #12
spiff
Eskimo Regular

I didn't expect him to sing it live at the show but that's cool that you were able to talk to him and that he said he would think about recording your song for you. I hope he does and that your family have it to remember you by. Let us know if he does anyway and enjoy the show in san diego.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #13
stargift
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalogh
When you say that he had a bad night do you mean that he sounded bad or the sound system sounded bad? Did he just seem tired? It seems that he doesn't take good care of himself lately.. He has the short prize concert tonight to, than Leno, Yikes! Also was Lisa there? I think he said she was flying in for the show... I should add of course congratulations on at least talking to him and giving him the lyrics, good luck!Thanks for the info.....

First, he had to go to an interviewq that he didn't want to go to. Next, he got there late and was disappointed that he missed the first opening act. Next, as soon as he started his microphone quit. He sang for awhile without one then he was going to use Lisa's mic and it quit working right away. He said he would be back in a few minutes so they closed the curtain and worked on the problem. when he got back i think he had monitor problems for the rest of the show. He stopped for awhile and told everyone what was happening and how everything that they could hear on stage sounded terrible. He was frustrated and said he almost decided to give everyone their money back and was going to take a walk down Sunset blvd. I saw Lisa talking to him for awhile then he seemed to be alright with everything. Then at the end they had a guest violinist that had troubles getting her equipment working. I don't know if he normally uses "f" this and "f' that in every single sentence, but he talked a lot and swore a lot. We all thought the show was great. We felt bad for him, but it all sounded good to us.
stargift is offline   Reply With Quote