Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-02-2003, 07:55 AM   #1
spiff
Eskimo Regular

So what does everyone think of the new damienrice.com design? Pretty funky, though nowhere near as nice as this site of course!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i think its great... hopefully the messageboard is a proper one too instead of that old bullsh*t one where u get arseholes posting pointless topics

lets just hope they keep this one updated enough tho...
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
katinka
Eskimo Regular

its really great, better, arty-er. it's really really nice! only the european dates from 25 oktober - 30 oktober are gone?????? whatever. i got my ticket.
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

some brilliant photo's up there... i picked out myself at one in the witnness crowd shots![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
lone_lily
Eskimo Baby

Ooh how pretty! Love the new look website! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Was just looking through the pics and have to agree with Jeweller, there are some wicked photos up there!

Just wondering if anyone knows who it is doing poi on the stage on one of the witness photos? I looove poi, and had such a great time spinning mine over the summer at the festivals and stuff, so just wondered who it was on the stage? Looked like they were pretty darn good at it from that pic! [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Poi?? Are those the things on the strings that you swing around. If it was then it was Lisa, I remember seeing her start up and thinking "what the f**k is she doing"?

Then I saw and thought "Yeah she's pretty good but its really a pointless skill", kinda like when I see someone beatboxing.
#Ian# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #7
lone_lily
Eskimo Baby

Cool, I was wondering if maybe it was Lisa! And yeah poi are "those things on strings you spin around" tehe!! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

And I guess to many it may seem a pointless skill, but to me I see it totally differently. I love it, I think it looks beautiful. It's creative and energetic and so many things all at once. Plus it's fun to do! I have totally enjoyed learning more this summer and getting good enough to do fire poi (which are those things on chains which you light on fire and swing around [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img])

Anywhoo, won't rant about it any more lol!! I guess I just don't think it's a pointless skill if so many people enjoy doing or watching it, and I know many! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 01:54 PM   #8
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Poi is not a pointless skill i totally agree lonelilly... alot of my friends do fire poi and it can get really dangerous... that requires skill

i think lisa is only a beginner tho and they wouldnt let her use the fire ones altho some girl got up and did it at one of the olympia shows in dublin last december and it was awesome to see someone do proper Fire Poi to damiens music

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Old 10-02-2003, 06:26 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

The new site looks great!!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:34 PM   #10
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

oohit looks awesome. i likethat its sound free. i mean ilove cannonball and all but geez.. every single time?! hopefully the message board will be a little more up to date and actually move up when someone replies to a thread.
tis_me_Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
Alistair
Eskimo Regular

Looks funky, lets hope the content is kept upto date as well
Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 02:14 PM   #12
katinka
Eskimo Regular

I poi as well! great it actually is Lisa that does it as well. Maybe I'll take my pois with me to the next concert, yoehoe!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:23 PM   #13
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller
some brilliant photo's up there... i picked out myself at one in the witnness crowd shots![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
yeah me too! photo section is pretty cool, pity there aren't more of Witnness and Damien at Witness. im sure they'll build it up anyway. Anyone know how soon the message board will take to set up? Hopefully the new one will stop all the recurring questions like 'whos that girl that sings with Damien?' I must have seen that about 50 times in the last two weeks.
~Aoife~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #14
katinka
Eskimo Regular

yeh, booooooooooring
Old 10-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #15
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoifedb
Hopefully the new one will stop all the recurring questions like 'whos that girl that sings with Damien?' I must have seen that about 50 times in the last two weeks.

lol! i saw those a million times too. but i guess you cant blame the newer fans from wanting to know. if the site had a spot for FAQ then maybe that whole "whos the girl with the angel voice?" questions would end.
tis_me_Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #16
lone_lily
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by katinka
I poi as well! great it actually is Lisa that does it as well. Maybe I'll take my pois with me to the next concert, yoehoe!!!!!!!!!!
Cool!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] Is good to know there are some other poi people out there!!
How long have you been doing poi Katinka? I've only been doing it for just over a year now. Had some lessons when I was in Thailand and practiced heaps over the summer at the festivals and stuff, but still want to get loads better!! Maybe I will take mine to the next Damo concert, but not sure if they will let me take them into Brixton academy LOL!! Wish I had taken them to the Pilton party now!!
lone_lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #17
katinka
Eskimo Regular

I learned it about almost 3 years ago, also in Thailand. Spend 6 months there, and did it after 2 months almost every day! It's such a great thing to do, but here I don't do it a lot unfortunally. Sometimes in my room, put on some good music and go for it!
Old 10-03-2003, 10:22 PM   #18
eskimocat
Eskimo Friend

think the site looks fabulous.
excellent partner to 'o'.
simple. clean. very nicely organized.
but with that 'rough around the edges' feel.
hope to see more artwork too. love the 'o' packaging.

-cat
eskimocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 02:01 PM   #19
patch22
Eskimo Regular

hi everyone. ive been told the volcano single gets a uk release on monday (6th oct) but its not getting any promotion ANYWHERE!!!! is it true or a rumour? if it is does anyone know what the track listing is?
Old 10-04-2003, 03:47 PM   #20
administrator
forum administrator

well it's getting a lot of airplay. i think nme says it's actually out on october 20th so we'll have to wait and see. it's probably the same tracklisting as the single in ireland

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 04:29 PM   #21
stuffette
Eskimo Baby

I think the new site looks great. I love the way the photos are set up. Everything is easy to find and organized. The way a fan site should be. Who the hell needs all of the flashy sound clips and photos. We are already fans.

can't wait for the message board. I hope it is just as simple and organized as the rest of the site.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:11 PM   #22
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

i obtained the skill of poi through a swiss friend of mine about two years ago. i can do it with water and glass jars but i'm afraid for myself with the fire. i should bring them up to the vicar st gig!!!
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #23
katinka
Eskimo Regular

keep on practicing aisling, as soon as you can do one of the things without touching yourself, you can do that thing with fire! its cool
Old 10-05-2003, 01:09 PM   #24
lone_lily
Eskimo Baby

I know what you mean Katinka, I was doing it alot in Thailand and over the summer at home in the garden or at festivals. Now the weather has changed I haven't been able to do it for a while [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Aisling, I have never used water or glass jars. How do you even do poi with water? Sounds cool! And I reckon glass jars sound far more dangerous than fire!! Wouldn't fancy one of those cracking me around the head!! [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Seriously though, once you are confident with regular poi you will have no trouble with fire poi. Just be careful and make sure you aren't wearing clothes that will easily catch on fire. Also always do it with someone keeping watch for you, just incase. Even if you do hit yourself with the fire poi, it really doesn't hurt. No more than with regular poi, and you only get a small burn, nothing major.

You guys should check out www.homeofpoi.com if you haven't already. It's a cool website!

[img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
lone_lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:15 PM   #25
katinka
Eskimo Regular

yeh, i know the site, it's great!
Old 10-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #26
idiosynful
Eskimo Regular

My favourite part of the site is when ye' click on 'dem Album thingy mabobners...and well then you get a whole album of cool artsy looking things with the song lyrics on 'em, some I recognise from the album, others I don't...But hell, I thought that was really nifty...creative..phun...ye' know.