Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #61
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular
 
Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,805
Default

ive been able to ignore threads like this for a while, but to be honest it makes me not want to post here anymore. I want to let this thread die but to be honest im at the stage of letting the whole forum die and deleting myself from it.
There is little respect of other peoples opinions and the subjects being raised have nothing to do with damien and his music. Valentino, you think you have the right to call others names because they simply are grouping together as "sheep" to try and prevent threads of no substance or justice to the band being discussed.

Usually im all against strict rules and such, but threads like this should be locked/deleted or just simply ignored from now on.
I love how new people can moan about this forum and the policies of it. I wouldnt have posted here for 5 years if threads like this were around. And i wont be posting here much longer if the level of discussion is based around what damien eats for breakfast or absolute rumours some girl supposedly heard at a concert. Give me a break..
I dont give a rats áss about how lisa left the band. I have my own opinion about it but i keep it to myself, cos basically, its just my opinion. I dont need to "investigate" matters. Damien pretty much spelled it out that he decided it was time for Lisa to leave, she's gone, lets all move on

If threads like this are closed then it doesnt give people the right to discuss it here. And basically id respect that alot more. Go find somewhere else to create nasty rumours that have no point in being discussed.
__________________
"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further…And on fine morning - So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."


Last edited by Gatsby; 04-09-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Gatsby is offline  
Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #62
julia
Eskimo Yogi..
 
julia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland Girl!
Posts: 1,078
Default

My feelings exactly revelate..
I could have written that word for word..
cheers Simon.


After reading some more nonsence on this thread, I am just amazed that some of you can not get passed this. You are clearly obsessed.. Seriously who the fcuk cares what happen, it is absolutley none of our business.
Its not our life, They owe us nothing.
The sense of entitlement being expressed is scary.
__________________

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice

Last edited by julia; 04-12-2007 at 01:33 PM.
julia is offline  
Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #63
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast
 
Valentino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
Valentino, you think you have the right to call others names because they simply are grouping together as "sheep" to try and prevent threads of no substance or justice to the band being discussed.

That was cute. Look, I'm going to put things into perspective by letting you know that you're wrong. When I referred to those people as "sheep," I did not represent them that way cuz they were flocking together to protect their Shepard. Oh no, when I wrote “Wow, the number of sheep on this board is amazing,” I was referring to these people as followers that don’t care to think for themselves. This is what the metaphor of sheep means and I hope no one else thought otherwise.

And one last thing...why are so many people saying stuff like "Man, where did all these new people come from? The board was perfectly fine until they showed up." Come on, do you really believe that? Nothing against Spamlet but I'm sure if he was the author of this thread, you would all keep quiet and accept it as truth. This is just ridiculous. I'm going to make this perfectly clear...The one and only reason why I created this thread was because I was tired of the countless people who kept thinking Lisa was the one who quit even after reading the official statement by Damien. Thinking "Oh, guys always have to feel they were the ones who broke it off etc. etc." and Hendrik's constant "No way, Lisa was the one who quit" posts.

I can't even begin to fathom why someone so integral to the band would quit so unprofessionally. It just didn't make any sense so after finding that blog and linking it up with Lisa's statement from last week, my mind is completely settled knowing that Lisa did not quit and was in turn let go. I've already accepted this and there's nothing else to it. And by the way, just because someone said something that made you mad, it doesn't mean they're wrong.
Valentino is offline  
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #64
Nine
Inuit
 
Nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 2,458
Default

oh for goodness' sake... lets all just shush.
Nine is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Gatsby
This message has been deleted by Gatsby.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #65
MzLee
Eskimo Friend
 
MzLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: melbourne
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
oh for goodness' sake... lets all just shush.
QUOTE OF THE DAY ! LOL
MzLee is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #66
Whigged
Eskimo Baby
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
oh for goodness' sake... lets all just shush.
Bollocks. A forum is supposed to be a spot where we can discuss, agree and disagree. And when the latter occur, things get nasty sometimes.

As for Valentino, give me a break! Props are in order for even starting this thread, and not simply drinking the Damien Kool-Aid. I'm not saying it isn't tasty, but it's made some of you downright loopy.

I don't think Damo is sitting around all sad because a bunch of us are calling it bullsh*t that Lisa is out of the group. It's been many years for die-hards, and you get attached, and don't want anyone to leave. When they do, you might get angry or pissed.

This is the place to voice that.

And if you didn't want further insight as to why this may have gone down, you should not have continued reading once you realized a tidbit was coming along. And if you want to respect Damien and Lisa's privacy, I mean, come on - no one is giving addresses and phone numbers out here - gimme a damn break!

A fully membered forum isn't always going to be what your little world dreams it to be. Opinions on what are right and wrong vary. If you can't accept that - go stand in the corner until you can.
Whigged is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #67
Cashface
Eskimo Baby
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Default

Ive always avoided these types of forums for a number of reasons.....but this is just a joke in its purest form.

Damien has always had creative control in his musical endeavours...hense the name Damien Rice actually appearing on the cd.


Damien writes ALL the songs and everything that has ever been produced is down to Damien.

He's the reason you all have an excuse to give out. Has anyone thought this may just be a little difficult for Damo himself. There is obviously a considerbly good reason for the ending of the relationship with Lisa.

We all know Lisa has the most wonderfully haunting voice, but at the end of the day we need to be supporting Damo as much (IF NOT MORE) than her.

I trust Damo's judgement now more than ever. I think everyone needs to realise how much he spoonfeed lisa throughout their creative relationship. He told her what to sing and put it on front of her. He taught her to play guitar(amoung others) and led her with babysteps through the success he shared with her.He could of chose to have the spotlight on him and he didnt, do you know why? Its because Damo has given every single member of the band as much a chance to showcase their talents as his own.

I dont care if I never get to see them perform together again. He has always been in total control and nothing will ever change. When control was taken away from him when he was a Member of Juniper he left. This is no different.

I love Damien Rice the band for Damien himself. It was his music I fell in Love with.......not Lisa's.

I think you all need to think about that.
Cashface is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 AM   #68
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 15
Default

First off, for everyone saying the blog had no relevant or informative info, the simple statement by Lisa "I was upset when I found out" is VERY informative, because it simply means she didn't know it was coming. While no one can draw other conclusions about it, it does confirm that it was Damien's decision, and that it was news to Lisa. It does NOT mean she read about it on the site - it just means when she heard about it, she was upset, which means it wasn't a 2-way discussion.

As for all the "lock this thread!" comments, at the end of the day, no matter how much many of you try to protect the band's "personal lives", there are 2 basic things about this situation that simply make it predictable and APPROPRIATE for people to discuss it:

1. There is an official statement, quite pissy in tone, declaring Lisa's departure and pretty much begging the question of why (NOT that Damien or anyone else is obligated to answer the question, but "their creative relationship has run its course" is predictably going to start some discussions here); and

2. If Lisa is publicly out with Gary Lightbody and/or Snow Patrol (I'm not making any assumptions about why she was there - fan, friend, girlfriend, who knows, but she was obviously there and talked to some of her own fans while there), then no one can be suprised that it's posted on fan forums and discussed.

Again, no one from the band or their management is expected or obligated to comment, and all of you who feel this is personal and no one's business are entitled to your opinions. But between the public declaration of Lisa's departure and Lisa talking to fans while in Gary Lightbody's company, the factt hat many of you are having hissy fits about these things being discussed here is really bizarre.

Damien's public statement. Lisa's public conversation with fans about her departure while at a Snow Patrol concert and leaving with Gary Lightbody. Fair game to discuss on the internet. Period.
World Cafe is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #69
Nine
Inuit
 
Nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 2,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Cafe
First off, for everyone saying the blog had no relevant or informative info, the simple statement by Lisa "I was upset when I found out" is VERY informative, because it simply means she didn't know it was coming. While no one can draw other conclusions about it, it does confirm that it was Damien's decision, and that it was news to Lisa. It does NOT mean she read about it on the site - it just means when she heard about it, she was upset, which means it wasn't a 2-way discussion.
I'm trying so hard not to get involved here because by doing so I'm being a hypocrite, as my general view is that we really need to let this die.
But comments like this I find impossible to ignore - I'm just going to say this one thing: you CANNOT say it is imformative or that it proves anythng at all, because you have no idea about the relevance of the source, and neither do any of us. It's ridiculous - I mean, just look at how it's written, the girl is obviously a loon, you can't just take what she says as definite.

*regrets getting involved, leaves...*
Nine is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 AM   #70
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast
 
Valentino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whigged
A fully membered forum isn't always going to be what your little world dreams it to be. Opinions on what are right and wrong vary. If you can't accept that - go stand in the corner until you can.

Very well said. Oh and NINE, you're already knee-deep...why struggle when it only pulls you in further? It seems the basic consesus on this forum is that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but the moment you dare post them you're asking for it. To be honest, I'm quite tired of everyone using this whole "freedom of speech" clause as a cop-out. Look, we all have the right to free speech but what good is the monotony of telling everyone if the majority of this forum goes against it?

Like it was mentioned above, no one is giving away phone numbers and addresses so calm down. And look at it this way (with the above quoted line in mind), it's obvious that Damien feels he is right when he chooses to be private about Lisa's release from the band. And in this way, he has the absolute right to do so and many would argue that his decision is the outcome of what he feels is good. However, Lisa obviously feels she can be a little more open and reveal a few details here and there and many will argue that this decision of hers is the outcome of what she feels is good as well. Both Damien and Lisa are equally right in their decision making process and if you truly respect the value of free speech, you should apply it to them and how they use it as well.

Last edited by Valentino; 04-12-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Valentino is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #71
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 52
Default

I find this interesting and frustrating that no one has responded to my inquiry. On this board, on the gigs page, people post threads all the time about how they met and spoke to Damien or Lisa or Vyvienne or Tomo etc... Yet no one questions the validity or truth of those statements.

Plus the person DID meet lisa. They met her and Gary at the show. That cant be denied. So why would this person make up that info? They obviously are truthful, they said they met Gary and Lisa and proved it by posting pictures.

Look at the gigs page, people say they met lisa and damien and such and all they need to do is post a picture or sometimes they dont even post a picture and people NEVER suggest "Oh you are such a liar, you didnt meet Damien".

Its hypocritical. And its interesting as well and troubling. Most of the time when people meet Damien they pass on to us good news or good stuff, or stuff that doesnt "offend" the Damien police. None of the information provided by these people who meet Damien or the band in the past is critical of the band or any part of the music.

Yet this time a fan met lisa and asked her about some stuff, and this time the fan relayed some info to us that is negative in nature about Damien.

Damien isnt god and its truely pathetic how everyone on this board or at least those in this thread who responded negatively to the original poster, they are really sort of scary. No band is perfect. Even the beatles had problems. John lennon beat his wife and wasnt a good father. He cheated on his wife. Bob Dylan has a reputation for being really icy and cold both to his friends and to fans, Martin Luther King was a womanizer. People can be special, and still make mistakes.

What I dont get is why people are so resistent to the idea Damien kicked her out. I mean, are you really going to jump off a cliff and kill yourself if that happens to be true?

Anyone who looks at the official statement and concludes that the decision for lisa to exit the band, was mutual, is obviously high or illiterate, Most likely both.

As a recent poster said, Damien is in control of this band. Why is it so foreign to people on this board to assume, not only does he write the songs, get his name on the tickets, tour under his name "damien rice touring", play the guitar and sing, but he also decides who is in the band and who isnt?

Can someone please explain the behavior at the infamous concert?

Why cant anyone explain to me why if lisa wasnt kicked out, why she would bother to attend souncheck at the gig? IF your planning on quitting a band, why go to the concert at all, why not call Damien and the crew the day of the show and say "I quit"

Damien isnt superhuman, he makes mistakes, he flubbs lyrics, etc... And this was a major mistake. Who in their right mind would kick lisa out of the band? And plus if you are going to kick her out, is it really proper to let her do soundcheck and them boot her out? Why not kick her out that morning?
cheguevara6 is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #72
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 52
Default

what gets me is just how wierd Damien is being about this. They or He at least released the official statement to tell us fans about what occured. Its clear on what happened. Damien decided.

yet at gigs he doesnt seem to respond to the "where's lisa" cries, by saying "I answered that in the statement, I dont want to talk about it"

He acts bizaarely and embarasses the band and says "i cant find her", or says "I wish to be public and talk but I am also very private."

Its really bizaare behavior.

Anyone who thinks this was a cordial and mutual decision needs to have their head examined. No one acts like that when the decision is friendly.
cheguevara6 is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 AM   #73
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo
 
Cali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A room of musical tunes
Posts: 5,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
Damien isnt god and its truely pathetic how everyone on this board or at least those in this thread who responded negatively to the original poster, they are really sort of scary. No band is perfect. Even the beatles had problems. John lennon beat his wife and wasnt a good father. He cheated on his wife. Bob Dylan has a reputation for being really icy and cold both to his friends and to fans, Martin Luther King was a womanizer. People can be special, and still make mistakes.
first of all you're so wrong about that statement. i can only speak for myself, but if you read the posts, most people that are against this thread don't say that damien is perfect. the reason people have "responded negatively to the original poster" and this thread is because it started with the assumptions of a "fan" who can't possibly know what really happened between lisa and damo based on a conversation or on what she saw or on what she thinks happed.

secondly, what if he kicked lisa out of the band? what if she decided she didn't want to put up with damien anymore? what does that have to do with the music? neither damien nor lisa have used their private lives for publicity in any way, it's always been quite the opposite. they don't owe us any explanation about what really happened and --so far-- most people that post on this board are very respectful of that fact
__________________
Scrubs Ted and Kate Micucci Screw You (full song)
__________________________________
note: my name is NOT short for California
Cali is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 AM   #74
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting
 
SisterMidnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Is this heaven?
Posts: 5,498
Default

you're either far less annoyed or much nicer than me, cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
what gets me is just how wierd Damien is being about this. They or He at least released the official statement to tell us fans about what occured. Its clear on what happened. Damien decided.

yet at gigs he doesnt seem to respond to the "where's lisa" cries, by saying "I answered that in the statement, I dont want to talk about it"

He acts bizaarely and embarasses the band and says "i cant find her", or says "I wish to be public and talk but I am also very private."

Its really bizaare behavior.

Anyone who thinks this was a cordial and mutual decision needs to have their head examined. No one acts like that when the decision is friendly.
i think you're the one displaying bizarre behavior. who are you to judge? you come across like a child throwing a tantrum jumping up and down demanding an explanation. so you're pissed off lisa's out of the band, does that mean everyone here has to put up with your venting? personally i wish you would stop ranting on about it ad nauseum because it's making me sick and i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one.

you want people to admit that damien made a mistake? listen - not everybody thinks he made a mistake. some people respect his decision and some think it may be the best move he could have made to take a new direction with his music and allow it to continue to evolve. lisa's voice was a beautiful embellishment to damien's music, but i think it (and damien) will survive without her since he's the creative force behind it (obviously). and no one said it was a friendly split, it clearly wasn't. but most people aren't simplistic enough to think in black and white. it's likely far more complex than you're making it out to be, a disagreement always has two sides. no one is a total angel or a complete devil so go color that with your crayons for awhile.

and please, NO ONE owes you an explanation. you won't shut up until damien or tomo or vyv explain it all to you? wtf do you want a detailed description of what happened? this is where it crosses the line in my opinion.. it is their own personal business whatever happened, and i for one DON'T CARE. if you're that rabid for answers go ask somebody who knows because no one here knows anything more than you do. we all have access to the same information but not everyone shares your opinion, so get over it.

out of respect, discussion of the band's personal life has never been allowed here and this is probably the most personal situation that's come up so far.. and as far as i can recall no one has ever gotten by with being insulting and calling people dumbf*cks etc. without getting their thread locked and being banned. i didn't always agree with it but i accepted it and realized that was why this forum is different from others because people were expected to be respectful and conduct themselves like halfway intelligent adults. i'm not sure why this seems to have changed but if it continues on this way i won't be coming around anymore. i barely do now because of crap like this..
SisterMidnight is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 05:11 AM
SisterMidnight
This message has been deleted by SisterMidnight.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:13 AM   #75
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo
 
Cali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A room of musical tunes
Posts: 5,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
you're either far less annoyed or much nicer than me, cali
nah, i just was less thourough and lazy, but i agree with you, simon, rai, sahika and others that think this thread is, at the very least, unnecessary
__________________
Scrubs Ted and Kate Micucci Screw You (full song)
__________________________________
note: my name is NOT short for California
Cali is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #76
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight

and please, NO ONE owes you an explanation. you won't shut up until damien or tomo or vyv explain it all to you? wtf do you want a detailed description of what happened? this is where it crosses the line in my opinion.. it is their own personal business whatever happened, and i for one DON'T CARE. if you're that rabid for answers go ask somebody who knows because no one here knows anything more than you do. we all have access to the same information but not everyone shares your opinion, so get over it.

out of respect, discussion of the band's personal life has never been allowed here and this is probably the most personal situation that's come up so far.. and as far as i can recall no one has ever gotten by with being insulting and calling people dumbf*cks etc. without getting their thread locked and being banned. i didn't always agree with it but i accepted it and realized that was why this forum is different from others because people were expected to be respectful and conduct themselves like halfway intelligent adults. i'm not sure why this seems to have changed but if it continues on this way i won't be coming around anymore. i barely do now because of crap like this..

Listen buddy...
I never said anyone owed me anything, thats your own spin. I have gone out of my way to suggest that damien doesnt owe me anything. I have said it REPEATEDLY! But I do think he is acting childish. He clearly is annoyed by the "where's lisa" comments during the gigs. And its obvious he released the statement about lisas departure to quel some of it. So he does feel he owes us something. He does, I dont, but he obviously does. Otherwise he would have never said anything. Otherwise he wouldnt have commented to the fan who said "where's lisa". Obviously if he felt otherwise he wouldnt have released the statement. He felt he owed us something. Dont act like I forced him to do anything. he did that on his own. My whole point is, its clearly not enough. People continue to ask "where's lisa"

And clearly Cali, it does matter to you and others what happened. Otherwise you would have read the thread and ignored it. yet you continue to post. I never denied this topic matters to me. its you and others who discount the original poster, and are talking out of one side of your mouth by saying, "this thread is crap, its personal matters and doesnt concern us", yet you respond repeatedly to anyone who suggests Damien kicked lisa out. Obviously this matter is of concern to you and you feel it is public buisness, otherwise you would have merely typed "this is personal buisness of the band, we need not talk about it here". No you continue to fan the flames, and respond to our posts.

My main points were just to get people thinking about certain actions.

SisterMidnight, you agree that it wasnt a kind or nice or agreeable split between lisa and damien, yet you choose not to respond, and others choose not to respond to this. Isnt that a hypocrisy? Damien said in the statement or seemed to imply this was a well thought out mutual and friendly split. "after much thought and discussion", doesnt imply a rash crazy and angry decision. That flies in the face of what we know.

Secondly, I have yet to hear a response from Sistermidnight or Cali or any of your critics of this thread about why Lisa's departure from the band 30 min before the gig isnt suspicious? Why isnt that suspicious? Why isnt that worth debate and discussion? Why did she attend soundcheck and then leave the band 30 minutes before showtime? isnt it fair to suggest as I have that she was kicked out?

Lastly, I would love to hear talk from Sistermidnight or Cali, about something I have repeatedly asked about. Go to the gigs page. Read reviews of the gigs. People all the time post about meeting Damien and the crew. yet no one suggests that those people are lying. Yet right from the get go, people assume this post was a lie and by someone who made it up. I have NEVER read a gig review where someone says they met damien and damien talked to them, and people say they are lying never met damien. I have NEVER seen that. If someone can point it out where that has happened, please by all means...

From the start of lisa's exit, there have been people saying "she left or quit", and those saying she "was fired or kicked out". Why is only one side being condemned.

I havent heard many posters condemning those who are in the "she left and quit on her own" camp. Dont act like you didnt take a side, y'all. I took a side, but I admit it. Yet only those of us who said she was kicked out are being maligned and reemed here. Doesnt seem right. Wouldnt it be a moral thing to be "neutral"?

No one owes any of us an explanation, but Damien continues to respond to comments. So has lisa. if Damien, makes silly jokes on stage as he did about "I cant find lisa, where is she", obviously he has commented publicly on it. And if Damien releases a statement as he has, he has commented publicly. All I wanted to do was to open peoples eyes to the possibility lisa was kicked out and obviously it wasnt recieved positively.

To me at least in the days after the "final gig", people acted like she quit on her own. I just wanted to point out examples of how that didnt seem to jive with the facts.

Draw your own conclusions...
cheguevara6 is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #77
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast
 
Valentino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
Listen buddy...
I never said anyone owed me anything, thats your own spin. I have gone out of my way to suggest that damien doesnt owe me anything. I have said it REPEATEDLY! But I do think he is acting childish. He clearly is annoyed by the "where's lisa" comments during the gigs. And its obvious he released the statement about lisas departure to quel some of it. So he does feel he owes us something. He does, I dont, but he obviously does. Otherwise he would have never said anything. Otherwise he wouldnt have commented to the fan who said "where's lisa". Obviously if he felt otherwise he wouldnt have released the statement. He felt he owed us something. Dont act like I forced him to do anything. he did that on his own. My whole point is, its clearly not enough. People continue to ask "where's lisa"

And clearly Cali, it does matter to you and others what happened. Otherwise you would have read the thread and ignored it. yet you continue to post. I never denied this topic matters to me. its you and others who discount the original poster, and are talking out of one side of your mouth by saying, "this thread is crap, its personal matters and doesnt concern us", yet you respond repeatedly to anyone who suggests Damien kicked lisa out. Obviously this matter is of concern to you and you feel it is public buisness, otherwise you would have merely typed "this is personal buisness of the band, we need not talk about it here". No you continue to fan the flames, and respond to our posts.

My main points were just to get people thinking about certain actions.

SisterMidnight, you agree that it wasnt a kind or nice or agreeable split between lisa and damien, yet you choose not to respond, and others choose not to respond to this. Isnt that a hypocrisy? Damien said in the statement or seemed to imply this was a well thought out mutual and friendly split. "after much thought and discussion", doesnt imply a rash crazy and angry decision. That flies in the face of what we know.

Secondly, I have yet to hear a response from Sistermidnight or Cali or any of your critics of this thread about why Lisa's departure from the band 30 min before the gig isnt suspicious? Why isnt that suspicious? Why isnt that worth debate and discussion? Why did she attend soundcheck and then leave the band 30 minutes before showtime? isnt it fair to suggest as I have that she was kicked out?

Lastly, I would love to hear talk from Sistermidnight or Cali, about something I have repeatedly asked about. Go to the gigs page. Read reviews of the gigs. People all the time post about meeting Damien and the crew. yet no one suggests that those people are lying. Yet right from the get go, people assume this post was a lie and by someone who made it up. I have NEVER read a gig review where someone says they met damien and damien talked to them, and people say they are lying never met damien. I have NEVER seen that. If someone can point it out where that has happened, please by all means...

From the start of lisa's exit, there have been people saying "she left or quit", and those saying she "was fired or kicked out". Why is only one side being condemned.

I havent heard many posters condemning those who are in the "she left and quit on her own" camp. Dont act like you didnt take a side, y'all. I took a side, but I admit it. Yet only those of us who said she was kicked out are being maligned and reemed here. Doesnt seem right. Wouldnt it be a moral thing to be "neutral"?

No one owes any of us an explanation, but Damien continues to respond to comments. So has lisa. if Damien, makes silly jokes on stage as he did about "I cant find lisa, where is she", obviously he has commented publicly on it. And if Damien releases a statement as he has, he has commented publicly. All I wanted to do was to open peoples eyes to the possibility lisa was kicked out and obviously it wasnt recieved positively.

To me at least in the days after the "final gig", people acted like she quit on her own. I just wanted to point out examples of how that didnt seem to jive with the facts.

Draw your own conclusions...
By far your best post, well done .

And by the way, this doesn't imply that all your other posts were sub-par, I just felt that this one was the most straight-on...if that makes any sense by now .

Last edited by Valentino; 04-12-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Valentino is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #78
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma
 
Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Peoples Republic of Cork
Posts: 7,900
Default

Guys you have been asked to leave this topic, you have all said your peace.

Also, even when we disagree with eachother we try here to be respectful. A couple of posters have been disrespectful here, in post content and tone. I'm not going to single anyone out. Just please all remember this is a forum of friends.

Now leave this be.
__________________




Wheels is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #79
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
neither damien nor lisa have used their private lives for publicity in any way, it's always been quite the opposite.
Actually, he's used his private life to write about 50 songs which he then sells on record or on stage to the whole world. The music = his life.
mario_d is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #80
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
I'm trying so hard not to get involved here because by doing so I'm being a hypocrite, as my general view is that we really need to let this die.
But comments like this I find impossible to ignore - I'm just going to say this one thing: you CANNOT say it is imformative or that it proves anythng at all, because you have no idea about the relevance of the source, and neither do any of us. It's ridiculous - I mean, just look at how it's written, the girl is obviously a loon, you can't just take what she says as definite.

*regrets getting involved, leaves...*
She may be a loon, but she did meet Lisa, and given that no one has ever raised doubts about the legitimacy of details of other "I met Damien/Lisa/Vyv etc" stories here (especially when accompanied by a photo!), I don't know why even an overly-enthusiastic fan's account of this meeting would be in such dramatic doubt for you.

But, that's cool if you don't believe her story. To me, her story is detailed enough and she clearly actually talked to Lisa, so her dismay at Lisa's comment about being unhappy when she "heard" she was out of the band doesn't sound outrageous or even doubtful to me.

It's also consistent with Damien's statement, frankly, because that didn't sound like it was a 2-way conversation either.

Like I said, at the end of the day my point was mainly that this particular situation IS appropriate for discussion, for the reasons I listed above. But no one has to believe this blog if you don't want to. I just don't see why that enthusiastic fan's account is so "in question" when there have been oodles of similarly deliriously happy accounts similar to that here and no one seems to raise an eyebrow.....
World Cafe is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #81
cille
creepycute
 
cille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 15,333
Default

It's just that there doesn't seem to be much of a story, except that she met Lisa. I really don't see how those blogs are supposed to clarify anything. This has got to die.
__________________
Yeah
cille is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #82
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo
 
Cali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A room of musical tunes
Posts: 5,158
Default

^ ..this has got to stop
sorry, i couldn't resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
Actually, he's used his private life to write about 50 songs which he then sells on record or on stage to the whole world. The music = his life.
oh c'mon
__________________
Scrubs Ted and Kate Micucci Screw You (full song)
__________________________________
note: my name is NOT short for California
Cali is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #83
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Cafe
She may be a loon, but she did meet Lisa, and given that no one has ever raised doubts about the legitimacy of details of other "I met Damien/Lisa/Vyv etc" stories here (especially when accompanied by a photo!), I don't know why even an overly-enthusiastic fan's account of this meeting would be in such dramatic doubt for you.

But, that's cool if you don't believe her story. To me, her story is detailed enough and she clearly actually talked to Lisa, so her dismay at Lisa's comment about being unhappy when she "heard" she was out of the band doesn't sound outrageous or even doubtful to me.

It's also consistent with Damien's statement, frankly, because that didn't sound like it was a 2-way conversation either.

Like I said, at the end of the day my point was mainly that this particular situation IS appropriate for discussion, for the reasons I listed above. But no one has to believe this blog if you don't want to. I just don't see why that enthusiastic fan's account is so "in question" when there have been oodles of similarly deliriously happy accounts similar to that here and no one seems to raise an eyebrow.....


Excellent post. Agree 100 percent. The hypocrisy of people on this board is astounding. When people post about meeting Damien and are oozing fanatical love affair statements like "I love you damien" or whatever and people post that crap on the board, no one bats an eyelid. It isnt called into question. People post all the time about meeting Damien, yet no one calls them liars. Why are cali and others so willing to call this blogger a liar?
People post all the time about meeting damien and gushing over him and then damien replying stuff like "hi" or "thank you" or whatever, people post info about meeting damien and asking for autographs, yet no one on her calls them out and calls them liars, why is that?

Its hypocritical to only believe some accounts of fans. This blogger met Lisa. Its hard for you to admit that Cali and others but it happened. As much as you tell your self that it didnt occur, the blogger has photos to prove it.

People post on this board all the time about meeting damien and usually post some silly or superficial story, about how they met damien and he said one word to them or whatever. Isnt that private information? How is that not personal information and personal buisness?

Its all or none. Either all posts, ALL posts about meeting damien and lisa and the crew are unfair and personal and do not deserve to be posted as they deal with private stuff, or ALL posts of meeting damien and lisa deserve to be discussed. They cant be seperated.

People have no problem at all reading a post from some fan who tells damien that they love him, and how damien said "thanks" but people step back in horror when someone posts something that suggests damien isnt such a stand up guy in terms of band buisness
cheguevara6 is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #84
cille
creepycute
 
cille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 15,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6

Its hypocritical to only believe some accounts of fans. This blogger met Lisa. Its hard for you to admit that Cali and others but it happened. As much as you tell your self that it didnt occur, the blogger has photos to prove it.
Ok I'll say it clearer:
I don't doubt they met her, I just don't see those encountering tales bringing out anything new in this whole ramskram.
This has got to lie down...
__________________
Yeah
cille is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #85
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
It's just that there doesn't seem to be much of a story, except that she met Lisa. I really don't see how those blogs are supposed to clarify anything. This has got to die.

I agree, but can you please quote a thread in which you yourself have said the same thing to a person who met damien and related a positive story? please post a quote of yours in response to someone meeting damien after a show or at a restauraunt or at a bar, and please show us that you reacted the same way. Show us a post of yours like that, where you call out the person who posted the "I met damien, or lisa or vyvienne" thread, and show us where you tell them that their story doesnt clarify anything and that the information they posted is useless.

Its hypocrisy frankly. You cant say all positive gushing fan posts about meeting damien are great and all "damien is cold or rude in person" or in this case "damien kicked lisa out" posts are all bad. Damien, just as I do, and you do, has a good and bad side. yet people only want to hear and believe the good side of damien. Doesnt work like that.

In fact, its funny how people like spamlet post about meeting Lisa's mom or meeting the band and the info provided is pretty trivial, or not useful to our lives in general "lisa's mom reads eskimo friends, and she was upset about lisas portrayal on the board"...okay.... I mean, how is that useful. No photo was posted, yet people ate that crap up with a spoon. I dont doubt spamlemt met these people, but how is the info provided in that case useful and helpful? I mean did spamlet really clarify anything? It was a good post, but it wasnt the password to Fort Knox or anything
cheguevara6 is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:52 PM   #86
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 52
Default

what do ANY of the "i met damien" "i met lisa" "i met vyvienne" "i met tomo" threads tell us Cille? What use are they to us? What info do they provide? Most describe personal information, most are personal in nature.


As I said before, either ALL encountering Damien and Lisa tales are personal and private and shouldnt be posted, or ALL encountering tales are postable and debateable and public information.

As I said before, all those people who dislike the thread, please link to a thread where you have, in the past, lambasted and called out, those who post those silly "i met damien" threads. Because its only fair...
cheguevara6 is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #87
Timeé
Intello
 
Timeé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Co. Donegal, Ireland.
Posts: 2,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
This has got to lie down...
Someone else on top

__________________
Wasted and wounded, it ain't what the moon did
Got what I paid for now
See ya tomorrow, hey Frank can I borrow
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #88
administrator
forum administrator
 
administrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,480
Default

seriously though... everybody calm down... cheguevara6, you just posted three or four times to say the same thing... i think you've made your point... i don't wanna close threads (because then i'm called an evil overseer)... but i will close this one if people don't grow up... i think it would be best if people just stopped posting in this thread, it's just gotten silly and nobody's taking it seriously... we try to keep this forum friendly and respectful, please remember that... thanks...
__________________
Keep checking the news page for all the latest Damien Rice news.

administrator is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #89
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 15
Default

Ok Admin, I understand your point, and I hereby pledge to only post anything else in this thread if it is answering someone else's point or if it is something that hasn't been said yet. Is that a fair promise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
Ok I'll say it clearer:
I don't doubt they met her, I just don't see those encountering tales bringing out anything new in this whole ramskram.
This has got to lie down...
Mostly I agree with you, it mostly wasn't earthshaking, but it is the ONLY fan encounter with Lisa that I've heard about since she was axed. The single detail that I felt *was* news from that blog was Lisa's reaction to their concern, that she was also upset when she "heard", and the fans' subsequent reaction to that (no matter how loopy they may be, they documented their reactions pretty well in that blog). If Lisa had said "Well, Damien and I have been discussing it for ages and it just seems like the best thing..." well, that would've been a whole DIFFERENT bit of information that would have also been news.

So that's it, mostly I agree, there wasn't much news in there, but Lisa's reaction was news in and of itself, as brief a reaction as it was. That was my only point.

And Cille, I gotta hand it to you, I love your diligence about saying at the end of each post "This has gotta stop!", after posting in the thread one more time! I do the same thing, so I can relate!
World Cafe is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #90
katiejoey
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 175
Default

I used to love coming on here and reading what everyone else had to say about Damien Rice and his music. I am not one of the old school people and I may not have posted all that much but if it wasn't for this site I would never be up to date on what's going on. Then I had a few moments on here and I decided to stay away for a while and maybe come back with a more open mind (see, i tend to be very passionate about my views). Then I come on after reading that Lisa and Damien are no more and this is what I see. It is so sad that everyone has to get on top of eachother about, "who cares if Lisa isn't in the band anymore", or, "you're not an original member", or, "i know everything and you know nothing." It always saddens me as a fan of music whenever I see stuff like this. No one can make everyone happy all of the time and that includes Damien Rice. But come on everyone, we're all here for the same reason. We all love Damien and his music. We may not all love it the same way. We may not have all been listening to it for the same amount of time and it may mean something different to every single person on this board but the fact that we are all fans should be enough. I always felt, even with my very differing tastes in music, that no matter if I was talking to a fellow Pantera fan, a Damien Rice fan, a Buddy Guy fan, that the love of the music should make us all realize that there is no need to argue or belittle eachother - no matter how different our opinions on everything else. Like I said before, we are all here for the same reason - let's respect that.
Enjoy the music!!!! - Erin
__________________
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see..." - John Lennon
katiejoey is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content copyright © EskimoFriends.com 2002-today. Special thanks to Damien, Lisa, Tomo, Shane & Vyvienne.