Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #271
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks to you both!
becci, you are the best
Old 05-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #272
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

There is only one smiley which describes Lisa...

Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #273
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_arg View Post
the 3 songs at Jools are up on dime!!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=249620
Yeah! Thanks! No seeders though...

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
RonjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #274
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

I can see 5
Old 05-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #275
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_arg View Post
I can see 5
Great! ...there are now. When I started there weren't any...thanks Eva for finding this!

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #276
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonjaGirl View Post
I also found this...Lisa was interview by UncesoredInterview...here a few pics and videos...

Watch the videos here...!

Oh dear lord my heart leaps whenever i look into her computer generated eyes.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #277
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

oh! I missed that post before... thanks for the videos, girl!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #278
Rai
Eskimontologist

Lol

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #279
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
lolololollylol!!!
That machine deserves a thread of it's own!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #280
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Wee lisers, and Sea Sew, was in the UK charts at number 58! Up 89 places from 147. Great achievement!

Last edited by Moves-My-World; 05-18-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #281
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^yep, was coming to post it too, so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

58. (NEW)(147) SEA SEW (Lisa Hannigan) 1 wk

MW reports that Ben's Brother sold 2,800 copies at #56, so Lisa might have done a little bit less than that...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #282
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

there will be an interview with Lisa (and Jape) in next issue of Hotpress
http://www.hotpress.com/news/5450590.html
Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #283
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

How'd we miss this one....

Lisa had an interview and a play on Radio 2 today, I missed it but will be able to catch it on Listen Again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kmft5
Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #284
Triskel2004
Eskimo Friend

Was a pleasant surprise when Simon Mayo announced Lisa was in the studio on my way home from work. Simon thought Gavin looked like a young Bruce Springsteen so Gavin played it off about being left on a doorstep in just a red bandana.Was a nice little chat then they played I dont know live. Simon seemed pretty impressed all round and plugged the tour/album/festivals and her!
Nice one
Hopefully someone will upload it as it was just Lisa,Gavin and Tomo on this version.

Last edited by Triskel2004; 05-26-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Triskel2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #285
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

damn it, says you cannot listen again... maybe later??

and in the UK charts, Sea Saw dropped but just a tiny bit:
65. (58) SEA SEW (Lisa Hannigan) 2 wks
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #286
Triskel2004
Eskimo Friend

Yes it will be uploaded a little later,dont fret!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #287
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Not sure if it's up here already but... Lisa will be part of a new charity album. No new song though.

Quote:
Put together by the final year students at the Sound Training Centre in Temple Bar, Sparks N’ Mind is released on June 12th through 1969 Records, with all the proceeds going to Aware, an organistion that provides support and awareness programs for people suffering with depression. The concept and general theme of the album is ‘Songs That Inspire’. The album comprises of contemporary Irish artists covering influential musicians and songwriters that gave them the initial spark to start a band.

The full track listing is:

1. The Flaws - The Killing Moon (Echo & the Bunnymen)
2. Ham Sandwich - Stay (Shakespeare’s Sister)
3. Republic Of Loose - God Moves On The Water (Blind Willie Johnson)
4. Damien Dempsey - The Hackler From Grouse Hall (Christy Moore)
5. Dave Couse - Caroline, No (Brian Wilson / Beach Boys)
6. Lisa Hannigan - Courting Blues (Nick Drake)
7. Le Galaxie - Maneater (Hall& Oates)
8. Cowboy X - Gigantic (Pixies)
9. Dirty Epics - Glory Box (Portishead)
10. The Thrills - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (The Smiths)
11. Bell X1 - No Retreat, No Surrender (Bruce Springsteen)
Can't wait to hear the Bell X1 cover!
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #288
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00kmft5

Starts at 1:02:30
Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #289
Rai
Eskimontologist

"Lisa Hannigan and the E Street Band" (plus Gavin and his dad)... That would be the best thing ever!

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #290
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24 View Post
Not sure if it's up here already but... Lisa will be part of a new charity album. No new song though.

Can't wait to hear the Bell X1 cover!
Friend of mine is one of the guys who is putting the album together. He's very enthusiastic about the quality of some of the songs.

I must give him some **** over getting the name of the Springsteen song wrong.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #291
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
damn it, says you cannot listen again... maybe later??

and in the UK charts, Sea Saw dropped but just a tiny bit:
65. (58) SEA SEW (Lisa Hannigan) 2 wks
the interview in the beginning, the song and the end

1. http://www.sendspace.com/file/h2rvo2
2. http://www.sendspace.com/file/04g90m
3. http://www.sendspace.com/file/q460i4

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #292
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

Altsounds.com did an interview with Lisa....

Quote:
Altsounds: You have a very strong ‘arts and crafts’ vibe - even now you’re so colourful - the red and blue (skirt and top)!

LH: Thank you!

Altsounds: But there is a wonderful arts and crafts theme to the videos you’ve made recently, like you’re new clip for I Don’t Know is a visual treat! How long did that take?

LH: It took a weekend…of cutting and it was myself and this girl Maeve Clancy she also made the Lille books…she is an amazingly artistic, wonderful person that I know and I said to her I wanted this wood thing and I had the whole idea of the video and I was basically like, ‘you need to draw me this thing’ and she literally drew the whole thing…and then we spent a weekend and me and my mother and my brother and just everybody listening to the radio and cutting!

Altsounds: I love this family collaboration – you and your brother and your mum. You seem to have done a few projects together, like your album’s artwork you and your mum sewed together?

LH: She did the knitting, she knit the outside and I did the stitching…but everyone’s pretty arty-farty!

Altsounds: In your family?

LH: In my family and I do, if I need something done, I know that they’re brilliant at it and I always return to them for help and that sort of thing. My brother’s very arty farty and makes films and writes films and he’s brilliant at all that sort of stuff, in fact he was always much better at drawing and stuff than I was. I always asked my big brother for help!

Altsounds: It’s so beautiful and colourful. Your songs too sound very colourful to me, like very evocative sounds and words…what do you think about, where do these come from?

LH: In term of the ‘homemade’ vibe, I think the instrumentation’s quite…I wanted to have that sound. Like the harmonium’s pretty squeaky and slightly foggy pitch wise.

Altsounds: But soothing too?

LH: Yes but it does have...it is slightly creaky! There’s nothing kind of shiny or anything like that. And all the strings, they’re real and we wanted to – myself and the band - to use a proper double bass. There’s not very many electric instruments at all. A lot of the drum pattern things too are someone played on drums, someone played on card board boxes and things like that ....and all of the squeaky bits or footsteps or giggles and stuff in the background, a lot of those things we kind of left in…you probably can’t even hear them a lot of the time but….

Altsounds: They add to the fabric of sound.

LH: Yeah

Altsounds: So, like the artwork, the music has a real homemade feel with everyone participating…

LH: Yeah all the boys are great about it when I get them to do all those sort of things. Paint the wall in the video and things!

Altsounds: When you’re writing, when you want to get a song, a story, out, what do you do?

LH: Each one is different in terms of writing what it’s about, you know. It’s just ah….I suppose things just happening in my life really.

Altsounds: Can you tell me what Lille is about?

LH: It’s about loads of different things. Each verse kind of is about a different situation which gets a bit confusing. Like the ‘he’s’ are not the same person often, which is very confusing! For me it’s just sort of a story book, a story book feel and not about…I don’t want to talk about what each bit is about 'cos often people’s ideas of it are more interesting than the real life thing you know! But I think in general Lille’s about a journey, about feeling quite hopeless and then becoming hopeful essentially.

Altsounds: That really comes across in the song, well to me!

LH: Good. I want you smiling at the end of the tune see.

Altsounds: It’s beautiful. Would you share an experience – perhaps a conversation or collaboration or something – that really shaped you musically?

LH: Well I did a little work with Herbie Hancock. We did a song and it’d gone really well and then we went back and recorded a few more and I’m hoping we’ll do more again. That was amazing to see him work. I was really young when I met him. I mean up to that point I’d always try to make things a bit different when I was given a song to sing and that’s fairly standard, but then, watching him work, that each time he played it it wasn’t about playing it right you know and singing it just right. It was about finding something new every time he played it. And he didn’t play the same thing twice! You know it wasn’t about that, it wasn’t about 'this is the way it is' and you just have to keep trying to get the best version of that. Each new beginning of a song was a whole new opportunity to have fun and make something different...you know in his phrasing or in the melody or even just little rhythmical changes…I just thought that was amazing and that really affected my thinking on it: It’s not about getting it just right, it’s about getting it just then.

Altsounds: How did this idea manifest itself in the making of your new record, Sea Sew?

LH: I think I wasn’t as focussed on having the exact right part. I mean a lot of the melodic parts were quite precise but for the singing I tried not to be too worried about finding the exact right way of doing it and then doing take after take of that, you know, just doing loads of takes and whichever take felt the best to me, using that one, you know…Before that I probably would have been a bit more ‘how do you get the ultimate melodic line?’ for this song. But I decided not to worry about that anymore.

Altsounds: Ok, so when it comes to song writing - what instrument do you write on by the way?

LH: I’m not very good at anything really. I’m not very good at the guitar or the piano. I can kind of doodle and mess and practice something loads and be alright, but I’m definitely not like a guitar player or anything.

Altsounds: But you play guitar on Lille?!

LH: Yeah I can do that but I can’t strum the guitar at all! Like, someone’s trying to teach me and I can’t! It’s so weird!

Altsounds: (Laughing)

LH: It’s really weird! I think it’s just a rhythmical thing I can do, but I can’t strum anything.

Altsounds: But the song writing – is it something you think a lot about, that takes a long time?

LH: Well, it does... sometimes, like - I’ll just go through a few songs and say how I wrote them: Say Venn Diagram I had an autoharp and I just found those two chords…and they’re very simple but I didn’t know what I was playing…and then I’d just go for a walk and, I had a little melody, and then I’d get the words over time.

Altsounds: Over time - like 6 months, weeks, a day, an hour?

LH: Some would be like months, in that they’re, I’d get a first verse and then I don’t know what else to do and then it would be some months. Some would be a day, some would be just one walk, like Lille was just a walk around the city. Last time I wrote I wrote to my umbrella. I had this nice umbrella and it was like ‘thump…thump thump’ and I just started singing along to the rhythm of it….But each one is totally different because I’m not good enough at any one instrument for that to be my instrument…but I’m glad because they all end up quite different.

Altsounds: Yeah, that’s cool….why did you make Sea Sew?

LH: I just always, I mean I knew I had a record in me…I mean, I always wanted to make my own record…I didn’t really know what was going to be on it, I didn’t know when I was going to make it…

Altsounds: What kind of support did you have?

LH: My management and my friends in the band…we all just kind of did it together. We released it in Ireland on our own and up here on our own and just….tried to do it as independently as possible and hire people that are brilliant at their stuff…it’s brilliant as well that you can put stuff out that really is just your own because obviously marketing and things, there will always be that kind of…the things you don’t have control over and I get very upset about those kind of things you know…

Altsounds: Of course, sure.

LH: But then you can like home make stuff, you know, and put it out on the internet or, just in general you know, you just make stuff and eventually it’ll come to light….and try to keep up with doing that, like I said to the lads in June, ‘we’re going to go make some more videos,’ and just home made stuff.

Altsounds: Have you started writing for the new album yet?

LH: I have a few songs. I don’t know wether they’ll end up on it, we’re still touring this one.

Altsounds: What do you hope people will get out of listening to your music?

LH: I just hope they like the music, that’s all you could really want. I did meet this wonderful family at a gig in Manchester and the girl, their daughter was there she was maybe fourteen, and she had sewn her own top and they said ‘she’s gotten really into sewing’…and I was like….I actually!

Altsounds: Welled up!

LH: Yeah oh mad! So that kind of thing, that really…and I’ve seen the record on some craft blogs and stuff which is amazing, like that’s…I never would have thought that, it was such a…it’s such a little idea for me, you know, it’s just such a small ‘I’d really like to do this so I’m going to use this opportunity to make a little sewing book.’ And for people to, especially craft blogs, for people to like it it’s…I’m overwhelmed.

Altsounds: How beautiful. Lisa congratulations and thanks for the chat.

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:26 AM   #293
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Lisa also made the CLUAS Top 50 Irish Albums 1999-2009 list - along with Damien's O; Bell X1's Music in Mouth; two Snow Patrol albums (Final Straw and When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up) and two from The Frames (For the Birds and Dance the Devil)

Full list at the link above.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #294
Rai
Eskimontologist

^No Skylarkin? Boooo! :P

Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #295
Triskel2004
Eskimo Friend

Lisa also features in the June edition of Q magazine as being in the top 15 acts to discover at Glastonbury along with the likes of Regina Spektor,The Maccabees,Friendly Fires, Pasion Pit, Gaslight Anthem,Broken Records,King Blues,Emiliana Torrini,Peter,Bjorn and John,Patrick Wolf,Brand New,Enter Shikari!,Twisted Wheel,Beth Rowley and Bombay Bicycle Club!
Darn our secret has gotten out!

Last edited by Triskel2004; 05-29-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #296
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
there will be an interview with Lisa (and Jape) in next issue of Hotpress
http://www.hotpress.com/news/5450590.html
maybe they were a bit eager with that one. looks like she'll be in an upcoming issue...on the cover. This article is about Le Cheile line up in Meath.

http://www.hotpress.com/news/5479681.html
Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #297
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

From Hotpress :
Lisa Hannigan and Fred are also on the Cork X Southwest bill

The Waterboys have been confirmed as the headline attraction on August 1 as Cork X Southwest returns to the Showgrounds in Skibbereen.
Brought to you by those lovely Murphy’s people, the bill also features Lisa Hannigan, Fred, John Spillane, Gavin Moore, John Daly, Túcan, Guggenheim Grotto, Ian Whitty & The Exchange, Nell Bryden, Low Mountain and Tim O’Connor, aka The Hitchhiking Poet.
Tickets are £50 and camping is available.

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #298
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

ahh, here's that Hotpress with Lisa & Jape I was on about

should be getting it this evening and will scan it in tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #299
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

^ let's see what happens.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #300
cille
creepycute

^thanks!

Bit small, but if you drag+drop the img files to your computer, you can enlarge and read

Tags
covers, lisa, magazine, radio, televison