Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-27-2003, 10:01 AM   #31
katinka
Eskimo Regular

they were very enthousiastic in between the songs, but they didn't move during the songs or sing along with some numbers at all. last time the whole audience was dancing and singing along with "eskimofriends" and so. when my friends and i sang along yesterday a girl said to us: "you're irritating me!" wooooohaaaaa[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img](and my voice isn't even bad, hehe)
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:04 AM   #32
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Wow. That *is* different. Here, people were also mostly very quiet while Damien was singing. I can see it go either way, depending on the atmossphere.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:51 AM   #33
Cornfleek
Eskimo Regular

WHAT A GIG!

It was amazing in more than one way i must say. To start of the setlist was completely different from anything i saw or dl-ed of Mario's FTP-site. Kicking off with I remember, Lisa enchanting a beautifully quite crowd, magic in the air all around. Then go was next, same beauty as the first song, but something seemed wrong. Damo looked tired, weary, focussed, angry, suicidal at moments.

The first words he spoke was aftera few songs and was probably "thank you". He played two songs i never heard before, so dunno what they're called. One had a refrain with f*ck you (3x), hate me (3x), let me out (loads of times): anyone??? Second song i didnt know was some slow song wich started with Sleep don't weep.

There was no talking whatsoever by Damo, just songs. And loads of them. And really well performed (in no particular orderWoman like a man, Older Chests, Cannonball, Coldwater (without hallelujah, which seemed to surprise the whole band), Eskimo Friend, Childish, Amie (without the wee scottish boy), Blowers Daughter and Prague. All in all 90 minutes of continuous music. The encore was short, Volcano (Damo on his own, using loops to build up to a beautiful final, amazing moment) and Delicate. The band was introduced as Tomo, Shane, Lisa, Vivien, no proper sentence came out of Damien, just music.

A show with clinical precision, no smile (well, 2 actually during Childish), serious music, a stunned crowd, it was weird. I thought it was a great gig, although for newbies he must have seemed to be an arrogant pr!ck. Musically almost perfect, jolly atmosphere non-existent..

Weird but good.

Cornfleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 12:10 PM   #34
BlowersSon
Eskimo Baby

Good to hear that somebody else (Cornfleek) felt a bit confused afterwardstoo. The whole band in Utrecht was absolutely brilliant but for some reason Lisa and Damien didnt interact with the crowd. As you said Damien hardly talked with anyone and only looked in my direction twice (he was standing in front of me!). Lisa sat down and gazed a bit...They arrived and left with nothing but a few words. It's a pity cos De Helling is a place where you cangive anintimate concert.

At the end I asked Vivienne for a signature but she said they would be down in a few minutes....but I havent seen them since. Did anyone?[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

BlowersSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 01:27 PM   #35
Cornfleek
Eskimo Regular

I don't think that Lisa ever really interacts with the crowd, besides singing that is. On her own little planet she seems [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 04:05 PM   #36
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Wow I would love to hear the f*ck you song, sounds cool.. I had a very, very different gig.. Damien was very happy, very talkative, and even a little intoxicated I think.. But no Lisa so you were lucky.. Sounds like the music was beautiful though... He did say on the Short List prize music special, when they interviewed him that his mood really comes out when he performs that when he is sad or mad or horny he performs that way ... CheersEdited by: jbalogh
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:29 AM   #37
katinka
Eskimo Regular

hee blowersson, welcome aboard the igloooooooooo[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 06:45 AM   #38
BlowersSon
Eskimo Baby

[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]Hello Katinka and anybody else in the iglo. Its funny to see there areDutch fans as well. Im always wondering how they get to know DMR's music.

Hope you werent standing behind me ....some bloke with some mad whisteling girls breathed in my neck all nite so I gave him a bad look. Lets hope its not your friend...hehe.[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 06:49 AM   #39
katinka
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowersSon

[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]Hello Katinka and anybody else in the iglo. Its funny to see there areDutch fans as well. Im always wondering how they get to know DMR's music.

Hope you werent standing behind me ....some bloke with some mad whisteling girls breathed in my neck all nite so I gave him a bad look. Lets hope its not your friend...hehe.[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

o my god this could be us...i'll post you a private mail bout this one..[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 07:25 AM   #40
katinka
Eskimo Regular

okay everyone, for the good order:it WASN'T me. thank the goddess [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 09:28 AM   #41
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I held my breath there for a moment! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:43 AM   #42
Coralie
Eskimo Friend

OMG! I see that the audiences are very different... during the show in Paris the audience was very quiet and attentive, we did sing along with Damien on a few song (Cannonball, Eskimo, Hallelujah) and Damien couldn't stop talking and talking! i had to say that it was great, he seemed to have a really great time telling us stories in french, it was really cute... we (the audience) were helping him with a few missing words, and he ended telling us he didn't want to leave awwww [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]that was a very beautiful and hilarious night [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]

~ Let's play God and enjoy the view ~
Coralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:36 AM   #43
Cornfleek
Eskimo Regular

Don't think the crowds were different, just Damo being all quite and tired. You frenchies basically wrecked Damo the night before he came to Utrecht. That is not very polite of you. Oh well, just as long as he's back soon...
Old 10-31-2003, 12:03 PM   #44
BlowersSon
Eskimo Baby

always the french...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]