Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

alright, hopefully im not the only person here who downloads live recordings of damiens shows.

oh come on now....theres no way that we`re all completely satisfied with O that we dont want to hear more!

but yeah...i recently started using soulseek instead of kazaa..

and i must say...the diversity of the different files is a major inprovement

so...that being said...i move onto the subject of this post.

ive been finding some great live songs from the guys..and i figured there was no way i could keep them to myself...but sharing through soulseek is murder on my hard drive..

so ive decided to follow in line and make a yahoo briefcase for any songs i find that im fairly sure not all of you have heard.

i hope this doesnt offend anyone in anyway..but seeing as they were already recorded at a live showing, i doubt damien would mind much if i helped make the rare songs a little more available to the true fans here at eskimofriends..

as of now, i only have 2 songs in the folder

lisdoonvarna, and a new version of face that i havent heard before..

if you want to check them out just go to yahoo briefcase

username- eskimoamie

password-damienrice

Old 04-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
esten
Eskimo Baby

wow! thanks
esten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
cille
creepycute

hey, cool, very good of you! :-)

i'm also on soulseek - definately a lot more to find there than on kazaa, that bloody rottenspyware-packed sh*tty program!...(sorry, gotta swear every time i mention that crap)

if any of you wanna check out my shared folder, myslskusername is cillemus, i got quite a lotta damien video clips and live damien recordings to share.

lisdoonvarna - that's a traditional irish song, isn't it?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
cille
creepycute

ok, i'm a techno dummie...how do i get to your briefcase there?

Edited by: supercille
Old 04-08-2004, 12:19 PM   #5
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

hey...awesome...i added u to my user list..

im unexplainedmuse...of course[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

theres one main guy on soulseek that im going to have to talk to
whenever hes not away anymore.. to see if hell let me download his
damien stuff

he has about 100 files i want[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

[Sauron] i think his name is

lol...so keep a lookout for him....he has a few full shows that im dying to get my hands on[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

for the briefcase....

go to

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/

and type in the username and password..

if you get an email verification thing just click 'do it later'

the verification still hasnt come to my inbox yet..so itll probably keep showing up until it does

Edited by: unexplainedmuse
Old 04-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
cille
creepycute

cool...scary name, (sauron) but... i trust you [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #7
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

NEVER use Kazzaa, use Kazzaa lite (I think the name has changed to K+ now)
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 PM   #8
Tomarse
Eskimo Regular

thanks unexplainedmuse! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
cille
creepycute

yeah, but still...kazaa lite has some FAKE spyware files in it, i think i heard something about them still being a possible security risk...but i'm not sure...

and there is also a fake kazaa lite program, so be aware out there - som many f**kers, unbelieveable.. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

Oh yeah Cille is right, I have Kazaa Lite but I'm still a little sceptical about it!

But what is soulseek like? [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Thanks unexplainedmuse [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]*HUGS* though...Lisdoonvarna haha when did Damien sing that? and Also to add another question what is it like? [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 01:17 AM   #11
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

its awesome...i think its a medley with a song called 'i need love'

he almost.....raps....in the beginning...

its pretty awesome sounding..

i believe its from the ontario canada show...but im not sure

soulseek is awesome...in my opinion....takes a little bit getting used to...and sometimes is slower than kazaa was..

but the amount of files on there is unbelievable..

whereas you would get maybe 10 or 15 different live damien songs on kazaa....here you can get nearly all of them..

as long as the user is on
Old 04-09-2004, 01:42 AM   #12
cille
creepycute

yeah, i agree with the muse about soulseek: very good for people (like us, right?) who sometimes look for music that's a bit off the main stream.

a bit geeky/nerdy, some would say, but still user friendly (windows based), as soon as you get used to it.

i think a lot of the people on there are sort of music nerds (ok, i shall speak for myself this time: like me...), so a lot of great stuff to find there. a bit slow, yes, but you get more of a direct feeling of sharing, since you dl the files (or entire folders!) directly from the uploader's shared folder, not several at the time as with kazaa. there's also a chat function on there to get really nerdy with people with similar music interests...[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

if you deside to dl the slsk program, please note that there is a fake web adress for this one, so if you just google 'soulseek' you might get the false, spyware-packed (and out-dated) version - someone bought slsk's old dl page address for this rotten purpose! The only right hp for slsk is this: http://www.slsknet.org

again i find myself blabbering on about this program. 's because it has brought me so much pleasure - musically, that is.and musical pleasure is one of my favourite pleasures in life...

BTW! think my question sort of drowned up there: is Lisdoonvarna a traditional irish tune, d'ya know?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:50 AM   #13
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

Cille...I'm sold!! Thank you [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]You are now my best friend in this whole world hehe!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Yeah I've heard a lot about Lisdoonvarna but wasn't really sure about it now I've heard it though and it sounds great [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 01:52 AM   #14
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

lol..i forgot all about you asking that..

im not sure if its a traditional irish song..but i would imagine it is so..

if im not mistaken lisdoonvarna is a city in ireland?
Old 04-09-2004, 02:13 AM   #15
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

"I Need Love" is a song by Luka Bloom, it's on his 1992 album 'The Acoustic Motorbike'. Luka Bloom is Christy Moore's brother. Christy Moore wrote "Lisdoonvarna". They were raised in Newbridge, Co.Kildare. Damien is from Celbridge, Co.Kildare...

You do know that Soulseek has been around since 2002 don't you? It's great because people there keep their songs organised, in proper folders and encoded at proper bitrates.

The number of users and files on Soulseek is only a fraction of what's available on Kazaa, but like I said the difference is that (most) people on Soulseek have their stuff organised.

In Novemeber 2001 Kazaa estimated that about 500,000 people use KaZaA at any given moment. They estimated that it had over 140 million users by the end of 2002, twice as many as Napster at its peak.

Nir Arbel of Soulseek, December 2003: "Right now we have a little over a million registered usernames. At peak hours we get a little over a hundred thousand users logged on simultaneously, but that seems to be down to about eighty thousand right now. Maybe because of the holidays."Edited by: Loveless

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:17 AM   #16
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese
You are now my best friend in this whole world hehe!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]you are one lovely cheese aren't you...[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

actually there's this song that i am dieing to hear (but i haven't been able to track it up, not even on soulseek); think it's by Pip dylan, and it's called something like: 'of all the things i can eat i am always the most pleased with cheese'. he-heee.

arrgh, not gonna eat you, though, don't worry
Old 04-09-2004, 02:33 AM   #17
cille
creepycute

loveless, thanks for the info on the song and the moore/luka family - didn't know that - and one of my best friends is even a devoted christey moore fan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless
You do know that Soulseek has been around since 2002 don't you?

nope, didn't know that either[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless
It's great because people there keep their songs organised, in proper folders and encoded at proper bitrates.

hehe, you're right, a lotta slsk users are quite organized...*ehem*...well, let's just say that if i spent just as much time on my studies as i do on arranging my files and making sure the bitrate (and even the file format) is just right i'd be one hell of a student...[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2004, 12:37 AM   #18
Venomous Valdez
Eskimo Regular

i'm dling soulseek now. thanks for the tips!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:02 PM   #19
Jokerplunge
Eskimo Regular

yes, it seems like a rather interesting program.... im trying to get used to it.... its kinda weird, but im starting to like it. i prefer a multiple user interface, but this is pretty cool in itself. thanks!
Jokerplunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:08 PM   #20
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

the briefcase setup is great... thanks! i just downloaded the three tracks in there... if i come across any i'll be sure to upload!