Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Default Lets make Jeff Buckley number 1

ah gwan.. it'd be funny

he's currently number 3 in the uk single charts with his untouchable version of leonard cohens halleujah.
and as much as i give respect for that alex girl who won xfactor and her version is quite nice, i personally dont think its a song that should be tampered with ever after again..
Jeff was best known for his amazing rendition of this song among millions around the world, its an untouchable version with regards of what he did (all my opinion of course)

Ill be buying 5 for each member of my family out of both a gesture for jeff and the fact id rather he was number 1 to give him his memory, rather than a winner of a singing competition who will gain instant stardom due to the fact she was watched and voted for by millions and the fact that x-factor is a corporate souless machine.

so buy a few for your christmas stockings

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

woo go jeff!

christmas number ones are such a big deal over there. i don't think anyone even pays attention to what's number one at christmas in america..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

got this from news@jeffbuckley.com. guess it's a full-fledged campaign now

Jeff Buckley fans catapult 'Hallelujah' charts in response to X-Factor single

Fans of the late singer Jeff Buckley are celebrating his return to the charts after starting a campaign to make his version of Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ the Christmas number one.

The Facebook campaign began after it was announced that the X-Factor winner, Alexandra Burke, would be recording a cover of the cult track as her ‘winner’s song’.

After only several days, the group has attracted over 100,000 members, and Buckley’s track has reached number three in the iTunes chart, just three places behind the X-Factor version.

Buckley’s cover of the song has garnered a great deal of critical acclaim since its release 14 years ago; Leonard Cohen, who originally wrote ‘Hallelujah’, preferred it to his own version, Q Magazine voted it one of their ‘Top 10 Greatest Tracks’, branding it “as near perfect as you can get”, and Rolling Stone included it in a list of the ‘500 Greatest Songs of All Time’.

Buckley, who died in 1997, has attracted a huge cult following – including many celebrities. Robert Pattinson, star of Twilight, recently spoke of his wish to play Buckley in the planned biopic Mystery White Boy, whilst Brad Pitt has previously expressed a desire to help produce the film.

Despite hoping to knock Alexandra from the number one spot, the campaign founder Lucy Powell stresses that this is not an attack on the X-Factor winner. “I just wanted to make it clear to people that there was already an amazing version of ‘Hallelujah’. I didn’t like the idea of a song whose lyrics and melody I have found incredibly moving being used to sell records by whichever competitor won a talent contest.”

Whatever the end result, supporters of the campaign have sent a clear message - by managing to chart Buckley’s ‘Hallelujah’ an incredible 14 years after its release.

Facebook Group:
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.ph...0765224&ref=mf

To Unsubscribe, please click here.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
as much as i give respect for that alex girl who won xfactor and her version is quite nice
Seriously? I was in HMV on tuesday and had an bit of an outburst when it came on, i thought it was so bad it actually made me angry! On of the employees gave me a look as if to say "if you knock over that stand mate i'm calling security!", but another gave me a sad nod of approval.
So yes, can't bare it personally.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Jeff Buckley will not be the Xmas #1, he will be #2 as he's just overtaken Leona... Alexandra will be one with sales closer to 500k, highest sales in the last 2 years... But I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Buckley gets to #1 in January (there's hope!!)

Fridays midweeks
01 Alexandra Burke 382,296
02 Jeff Buckley 59,676
03 Leona Lewis 54,408
Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?...279&Itemid=206

'Hallelujah': let's just agree it's better than Bono and move on

Things we don't want to hear any more about until 2009: "Isn't Alexandra's version of 'Hallelujah' pointless/amazing, isn't it pointless/amazing that Jeff Buckley's version is back in the Top 3, isn't this a victory/a totally hollow victory for real music etc etc".The fact of the matter here is that the best ever version of 'Hallelujah' was by Jeff Buckley and the worst ever version of 'Hallelujah' is Bono's. Every other version of 'Hallelujah' between now and the end of time will sit somewhere between those two recordings.

As for whichever 'crusades' are currently running regarding the Buckley version - apparently there's one in The Sun - we fail to grasp how any of this is a 'real victory for real music over Simon Cowell's plastic pop rubbishzzzzzz' given that none of it would be happening without The X Factor. "Readers! Let's really teach Simon Cowell a lesson and show him that he's powerful enough to get Jeff Buckley in the Christmas Top 5 without lifting a single finger." "Oh and let's show that The X Factor is manipulative and not about music by making people buy a song not because they like it but as a token of their dislike for something else." LOGIC FAIL.

The 'victory for real music' brigade are really making no sense at all with this whole 'Hallelujah' business - what we have here is a victory for the ability to write melodies which are good enough for an X Factor winner's debut single. Cathy Dennis can do that, you know. She can also write songs like 'Toxic'. Did Leonard So-Called Cohen write 'Toxic'? No. (Subs please check) What has been established here is that Leonard Cohen could, if he wished, pitch some songs for the next Westlife album.

"Oh but it's the lyrics that make it so subversive." Yes. Very subversive. Considering nobody even knows what they actually mean. (??!) Well done everyone.

(As an aside, is it just us who finds any sort of 'crusade' to get a track 'back in the charts' completely embarrassing?)
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

there was also a crusade to bring Rick Astley to Xmas #1 with Never Gonna Give You Up... damn why it didn't work
Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Timeé
Intello

To reiterate Ian's point:
Who gives a ****
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian# View Post
(As an aside, is it just us who finds any sort of 'crusade' to get a track 'back in the charts' completely embarrassing?)
I was amused by last year's attempt to get "Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis" by Tom Waits to number one.

As for the opinion that nobody "should" touch the song after Jeff Buckley... I wouldn't even consider his the best version!
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #10
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ what is then?

i compared and contrasted today:

embedding disabled on this one so click (trust me, it's worth it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

i didn't mind alexandra's version until i tried to listen to it after jeff's.. which is, of course, frighteningly superior in an other-worldly kind of way so it's not really a fair comparison..

but i have to say i felt more emotion from damien's performance of the song.

i don't think i want to hear bono's..

Last edited by SisterMidnight; 12-20-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #11
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

I tried to focus on that performance but... that's a distractingly horrid dress she's wearing.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #12
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé View Post
To reiterate Ian's point:
Who gives a ****
people that realise, music is more than a popularity contest, and people that realise the beauty in jeff and his interpretation of the song.

if it is wrong to try to change the world. then you've already given up...

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Bono's version (yes, be afraid, it's that bad):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA048pcITlA
Old 12-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Rai
Eskimontologist

^I think this version had potential, but was for some reason screwed up in the end... And I really like it that he tried to part from the melody and do something different.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #15
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
Bono's version (yes, be afraid, it's that bad):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA048pcITlA
i remember the first time i heard bono's version - i was like WTF????!!!!

it's absolutely horrible.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote