Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 01-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
tj
Phono Vox

Default Sting...

Now I'm a big fan of the Police. I love their stuff and I would consider them an influence. I have just listened to a recent live performance by Sting though... and it is painful to listen to. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Iwasatabarwiththis,lady
i got years..............

I think sting is a painful person. Sorry.

I laughed so loud in the simpsons when he obviously didnt know he was been tken the mikey out of when he says "This isnt aout showbizness, this is about a boy down a well... or... or something."

True,true words
Iwasatabarwiththis,lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
tj
Phono Vox

I'd be the first to admit that Sting is a complete twat. However, would you not agree that Police songs like Invisible Sun and So Lonely are classic tracks?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Iwasatabarwiththis,lady

god yea.

The herb hancock duet is superb.

sssh, marge, hes a good digger
Old 01-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
cille
creepycute

what do you mean with 'painful'?

sting has influenced me so much, i love his earlier stuff. i'm very disoppointed with his latest album though, and a while ago i went to a gig w him that was SOOO uninspired. yeah, he seems uninspired these days, like his music doesn't come from a necessity to play. the gig seemed like just another day at the office, he put nothing on the line.

'the dream of the blue turtles' and 'nothing like the sun' and 'bring on the night' are still amazing albums i think. police were ok too. all in all i think he is (or used to be) a great songwriter.

is he a twat? not for me to judge. he seems quite nice and intelligent in interviews, and perhaps a bit full of himself, as artists often get when they have to talk about themselves as much as they do.

why are there so many threads now all about hating this or the other musician anyway? i mean, what's it all good for???
Old 01-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
painful means either kind of embarrassing or hard to listen to cille! Another english idiom brought to you by maccas!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
cille
creepycute

d'oh thanks, maccas..

i was just interested in what way the tj person meant it.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

yeah i think he kind of means that in his opinion sting has fallen a long way from what he once was, well thats what i take from it anyway
Old 01-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Iwasatabarwiththis,lady

perhaps it not that hes 'uninspired' its just that he's, ykno, pants these days.

sorry
Old 01-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille

why are there so many threads now all about hating this or the other musician anyway? i mean, what's it all good for???
I never once said I hated Sting. Infact... quite the opposite. Sting and the Police are a huge influence on my own music. It's just he has lost the touch. That's not going to make me hate him.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #11
cille
creepycute

sorry for misreading your original msg, i realise you weren't the one bringing 'twatness' into it. edit: no you actually were the one calling him a twat. i'm so confused now why is he a twat?

yeah i definately agree w you, he lost his touch. i've been thinking about that a lot too. strange how that happens to artists. is it just b/c he's grown older, i wonder..? lots of older musicians keep the spark alive though.

Last edited by cille; 01-07-2006 at 02:08 PM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
tj
Phono Vox

Bono has managed to keep it going. I think the problem with Sting is his lack of hunger. U2 are always striving for more and they all have an addiction to wanting to know more about things. They crave knowledge and they want to better themselves with each and everything they do. I think that's what Sting is missing. I think he settled for being known for songs like Every Breath You Take rather than trying to make himself write better songs. Which in turn makes him lazy and then eventually he loses his stroke of magic.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
cille
creepycute

oh i think bono and u2 have reached the same state sting has musically. their old stuff is oretty good, but through the 90'ies and 2000's they've... lost it. to me, that is.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
tj
Phono Vox

Yea... I don't think u2's stuff is as good as it was. But it's still something special.

u2 can still play their old songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Pride and Running to Stand Still with the same soul and spirit as they did in the late 80's and early 90's. As for Sting... check out www.sting.com/jukebox and check out some of the classics like Every Breath You Take and Message In A Bottle (pay special attention to Message in paticular) and Ain't No Sunshine. It seems to me like he is murdering his own songs. Even his session band are horribly out of key and timing at times. It's kinda sad.