Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 08-04-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I just got this from Pearl Jam's fan club. I wish I lived in or neara battleground state so I could go to one of the shows. Thought some of you might be itnerested...
<H3>Vote for Change</H3>

Pearl Jam is excited to announce the Vote for Change concert tour. Vote for Change is a loose coalition of musicians brought together by a single idea—the need to make a change in the direction of our country. We share a belief that this is the most important election of our lifetime. We are fighting for a government that is open, rational, just and progressive.

“The upcoming election provides everyone an opportunity to change the direction our country is headed and to elect a government that is just, rational and respectful of the views and rights of the people it serves. This coalition of artists wants to be a part of that change.” said Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam.

Artists participating in Vote for Change have merged their energies and talents to focus on states that are expected to have the closest race in the presidential election this fall. This unprecedented effort will include approximately 34 shows in 28 cities in 9 battleground states over the course of a week.

These concerts will feature Babyface, Jackson Browne, Bright Eyes, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab for Cutie, the Dixie Chicks, John Fogerty, Ben Harper, Jurassic 5, Keb’ Mo’, John Mellencamp, My Morning Jacket, Pearl Jam, Bonnie Raitt, R.E.M., James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and more. These and other artists will appear on separate bills on the same night in selected cities around several battleground states.

Vote for Change artists hope to accomplish a single goal through the tour: to get people to the polls on November 2nd to vote for a change.

The Vote for Change tour will be presented by MoveOn PAC, with all concert proceeds benefiting the work of America Coming Together (ACT).

Be sure to register to vote early and make your Vote for Change!

BACKGROUND:

Unprecedented in scale and strategy, ACT is building the largest voter mobilization effort in history to elect progressive candidates to federal, state and local offices in November. For more information on ACT visit www.act04.com.

MoveOn PAC is a 2.5 million-member online grassroots political action committee working to take back our government. By gathering small contributions from ordinary citizens, it is using the Internet to level the playing field against the interest of big corporate money in politics. It's sister organization, MoveOn.org, raises issues of war and peace, social justice, media integrity and honesty in government. For more information, visit www.moveonpac.org.

TICKETS:

Pearl Jam and Death Cab for Cutie will be performing the following Vote for Change shows:

<TABLE height=278 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=414>
<T>
<TR height=40>
<TD width=82 height=40>

Oct. 1</TD>
<TD width=145 height=40>Reading, PA</TD>
<TD height=40>Sovereign Center</TD></TR>
<TR height=40>
<TD width=82 height=40>Oct. 2</TD>
<TD width=145 height=40>Toledo, OH</TD>
<TD height=40>Sports Arena</TD></TR>
<TR height=40>
<TD width=82 height=40>Oct. 3</TD>
<TD width=145 height=40>Grand Rapids, MI</TD>
<TD height=40>Delta Plex</TD></TR>
<TR height=40>
<TD width=82 height=40>Oct. 5</TD>
<TD width=145 height=40>St. Louis, MO</TD>
<TD height=40>Fox Theater</TD></TR>
<TR height=40>
<TD width=82 height=40>Oct. 6</TD>
<TD width=145 height=40>Asheville, NC</TD>
<TD height=40>Civic Center</TD></TR>
<TR height=40>
<TD width=82 height=40>Oct. 8</TD>
<TD width=145 height=40>Kissimmee, FL</TD>
<TD height=40>Silver Spur Arena</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

For more information about Vote for Change, including ticket information and updates, go to www.moveonpac.org

Artist Quotes

"A vote for change is a vote for a stronger, safer, healthier America. A vote for Bush is a vote for a divided, unstable, paranoid America. It is our duty to this beautiful land to let our voices be heard. That's the reason for the tour. That's why I'm doing it."
Dave Matthews

"As concerned mothers, women and most importantly concerned Americans, we are compelled to do what we can to inspire other voters to get involved in this year's election. We hope our participation in the Vote For Change Tour will be a catalyst for positive change.”
The Dixie Chicks

“This is an extraordinary example of America coming together to win this election and change the direction of the country. These artists feel so strongly about this election that they are doing something unprecedented in creating this magnificent tour. They are sending an important message to voters in the battleground states: you can change the country if you go to the polls and vote.”
Ellen Malcolm, America Coming Together

“R.E.M. is very happy to be a part of the Vote for Change Tour. This unprecedented coming together of musicians underscores the depth of the desire for change in our country’s direction, and it feels right to use some of the freedoms granted to us in a democracy to try and effect that change.”
Mike Mills

"It's about showing up and being counted. I'll be there and I hope you will too."
Keb' Mo'

“We’ve always believed that popular culture and populist politics go hand in hand. It’s an honor to be working with so many respected and influential artists, and we’re indebted to them for having the courage to speak out at a time when our country so desperately needs change. For our 2.5 million members and far beyond, the Vote for Change tour will have a seismic cultural impact.”
Eli Pariser, MoveOn Pac

“There has never been a more important time to band together and bring about real change. I want to see Americans everywhere honor those who have fought and died for our right to vote by getting out to the polls on Election Day. Democracy only works if we work it.”
Bonnie Raitt

“I felt like I couldn’t have written the music I’ve written, and been on stage singing about the things that I’ve sung about for the last twenty five years and not take part in this particular election.”
Bruce Springsteen

“This is the fourth presidential election which Pearl Jam has engaged in as a band, and we feel it’s the most important one of our life time. We believe in the power of the first amendment, and have always exercised our right to free speech in every aspect of our lives and music. This year there is no more powerful way for all Americans to exercise that right than by voting. Given the extreme political climate of a country at war, we are proud to stand among the many artists involved in this tour and to encourage Americans not only to vote for a president this November 2nd, but to vote for the change they wish to see in the world.”
Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Thats so cool,i love pearl jam.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2004, 01:39 AM   #3
Jgrg1984
Eskimo Regular

ive read the rumors about this for a while, im curious for the full slate of dates, that is, whose playing when. Should be great shows, especially bc the artists are promoting something they believe in.

:and they all left their feet, for that brief moment they could fly:
Jgrg1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

each of the artists are playing in different states during that week. You can get more info about all the dates at www.moveonpac.org

GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 03:42 PM   #5
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

oooh i live sort of near Reading, thanks valerie!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]nowi gotta check it out

Old 08-09-2004, 12:21 AM   #6
OSully
Eskimo Friend

HUGE PJ fan--I'm about 2 hrs away from Asheville, so I'm definitely going! Two of my favorite things--a good concert and a good causesupporting Dubya getting out of office...awesome![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] This is karma coming back my way, since I couldn't go to Bonnaroo and see Damien since my mom got remarried that weekend...'Roo would have been better, but PJ is a good consolation prize!!
Is what you're taking with you
On the day that you go
OSully is offline   Reply With Quote