Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 11-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #1
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Default Blip! Blip! Blip!

Bored? I am, when I get bored I'll sometimes Blip some songs for kicks n giggles.

http://blip.fm/home

Basically just eearch a song, blip it and share what you are listening too. I kinda get sucked in now and then and I've discovered a few new songs I liked from it... I was hoping to find more but from what I've seen there's a lot of dead brains out there and you can't dislike someone/block them from the main feed even if you hate every single song they blip. Other wise I would have a nicely filtered stream coming in through the main page. That's the one thing the site lacks. There's no way to filter out types of music you want to be on your feed and there's no way to block or dislike someone's blip so they show up less. I first started using this in hope of finding more great music and wishful thinking that It'd be a little bit like pandora but it's not exactly that. I still enjoy it. if you sign up lemme know. I'm StrictJoy which I of course stole the name from Glen and Mar's new album haha. I just liked it a lot. I started doing this on Twitter but then I connected it to Blip once I found out about it. Soooo yeah.... It's basically a twitter copy but for music sharing and not pointless things you are doing like washing dishes or something... All though you could blip what you are doing like twitter but not from your phone. :P Anywho, just thought I'd share...

Strict Joy = me.

Cheers
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate

Last edited by dboyd; 11-11-2009 at 03:41 AM.
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
glo32
Eskimo Regular

A bit similar to thesixtyone.com - a great site to discover new music. Bands and artists post songs and users bump/heart them and the more bumps/hearts they receive, the more exposure they get, and then they can also hit the homepage. And of course you can share your favorite songs on your profile, or join groups, or buy songs, or download free songs...
And there's also a sort of "game" behind it, because when you heart a song then you get points and points make you level up so you can do more things on the site...
If you like blip you may like it as well... try it - http://www.thesixtyone.com/
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

o my... i already like the first song it started playing on it and it's new to me! haha. i think i might make me a switch. haha. thanks

loll.. i clicked funny under moods and the first song to play is a Cover of Volcano by TCO... it's supposed to be funny? It's actually pretty damn awesome! look it up

if anyone else checks this out add me, i made my name Strictjoy again... lol I'm so not creative. glo are you on there?

Last edited by dboyd; 11-12-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

from what i've seen so far there's no way to "discover" a new song unless the artist is on the site? There's no Swell Season or even Damien Rice on there! is that higher level stuff maybe?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
if anyone else checks this out add me, i made my name Strictjoy again... lol I'm so not creative. glo are you on there?
yes I'm on there, just subscribed to your profile!
I'm level 16, a few months ago I was really into it, I went there every day checking for new songs and I discovered great artists at the time... but I haven't logged in to the site for a couple of weeks now, and I don't know why, somehow I completely forgot about it... but now I'm back - so thank you for reminding me!

Quote:
from what i've seen so far there's no way to "discover" a new song unless the artist is on the site? There's no Swell Season or even Damien Rice on there! is that higher level stuff maybe?
Yes, it's basically like myspace, artists and bands have to sign up and post songs, otherwise you won't find them anywhere on the site... Glen has a song anyway, and you may also find some other old acquaintance - Lisa's "Lille" or Pedestrian... Alexi Murdoch and Bon iver have a few songs up as well... and then a lot of indie bands and singer-songwriters worth listening to... Some of them really grew big on that site, like AM or Cary Brothers... and check The Rescues, their stats are flying and they are having so much succes on the website that a major label recently signed them!

Anyway, if you want to discover new music, subscribe to the most active users of the site, so you'll have on your homepage the songs they bump

Oh and... you can't see how many bumps (or hearts, or points, whatever) the songs posted less than 24 hours ago have... and you have to try and bump them because if they have success later on the site you get lots of points "browse"-->"recently posted songs" and there you can see all the new songs

Last edited by glo32; 11-12-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

thanks I'm loving it so far. I just jacked (saved) a bunch of songs from your profile haha. easy searching

Bumping as in heating songs? or featuring them?

and i see you were the last to revive glen's say it to me now. haha awesome <3

Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd View Post
Bumping as in heating songs? or featuring them?
yes, sorry, it was called "bumping" in the previous version of the site... then hearts appeared, so it's now called "hearting"
You get points only by bumping/hearting songs... no points if you feature them, or save them... I usually save a song when I run out of hearts and I want to remember to heart it the following day...
You probably noticed that but hearts run out soon - in that case, listen to "The Rack" (some sort of radio) or try the "quests" (the red number next to your username)... anyway, you'll get new hearts tomorrow (the number of hearts they give you depends on your level)

Last edited by glo32; 11-12-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

yeah, awesome. thank you thank you thank you! I'm loving this!

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
glo32
Eskimo Regular

the site is a bit slow this morning but don't worry, it's not always like that!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

hmmmm i'm such a noob. i'm gonna guess you gotta be higher than level 1 to subscribe/follow an artist? I don't see any buttons to follow them on their artist page.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

lawl, who is this? :P http://blip.fm/DamienRice

Old 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Tis Me
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

alright.. i'm confused.. how do people discover new stuff? My friend on facebook posted a link to his bands new stuff (i went to school with him) and i told him it was good and he should put it on thesixtyone.com because it could grow. it's really good stuff. i did a search last night and they weren't on there so i told him about it and he put it up. i look again now to check if he did which he did! But they have been discovered already by other people and i'm wondering how they found them already. i wants discover credits on it! I told him to put it up on the site! lol... how do u gets discoveries?

<3

check them out tho, it's pretty good... The Belle Game http://www.thesixtyone.com/#/TheBelleGame/

edit: sooo i read u just gotta be a sixtyone whore and be fast.. haha... anyways, check them out. I thought i'd be able to get the discovery on them since i told them this arfternoon actually to put it up on there but people got it before me... anywho, look! :P

Last edited by dboyd; 11-15-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd View Post
alright.. i'm confused.. how do people discover new stuff? My friend on facebook posted a link to his bands new stuff (i went to school with him) and i told him it was good and he should put it on thesixtyone.com because it could grow. it's really good stuff. i did a search last night and they weren't on there so i told him about it and he put it up. i look again now to check if he did which he did! But they have been discovered already by other people and i'm wondering how they found them already. i wants discover credits on it! I told him to put it up on the site! lol... how do u gets discoveries?

<3

check them out tho, it's pretty good... The Belle Game http://www.thesixtyone.com/#/TheBelleGame/

edit: sooo i read u just gotta be a sixtyone whore and be fast.. haha... anyways, check them out. I thought i'd be able to get the discovery on them since i told them this arfternoon actually to put it up on there but people got it before me... anywho, look! :P
People go really crazy when it comes to discoveries (/first bumps) so you basically have to be lucky. But always check the "recently uploaded" page...
And when your friends upload a new song, ask them to tell you when exactly they're going to upload it... And then keep refreshing their page so you can have the first bump.

Oh and pass this link to them - http://passivepromotion.com/what-art...ut-thesixtyone
I think the part about uploading songs and then waiting till they get to the homepage is really important. In my first days on the site I uploaded a few tracks for a friend and they ended up competing with each other so, now that your friends have 3 songs, tell them not to upload any other song before at least one or two of the songs up now hit the homepage.

Anyway, I'm listening and I really like them! Will max-bump everything
Old 11-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

thanks. yeah someone told them exactly what you just said on their artist profile... to wait and not post any more songs. So i think they are doing just that.

I was checking the recently submitted and i saw a song not hearted and i was like omg! haha... now that i listened to the whole song i'm kinda like.. ugh, i wish i didn't discover it...it's totally not my type of music i listen to. haha... o well, maybe it will do well.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #16
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

i love blip!! thnx StrictJoy
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #17
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

haha. yw. i think i like thesixtyone.com more though. too much jonas brothers and crap on blip. i'm following a few people on blip though that have a good taste in music. but ya, i'm definitely enjoying thesixtyone.com a little bit more. haha. it's addicting. glad you're enjoying blip tho

Old 01-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
glo32
Eskimo Regular

dboyd did you see the new sixtyone?
i haven't logged in for a while and i just did today... and... it's all so strange now! and i mean it in a bad way... i don't think it will be so easy to find new music, now... it's all so "random"... and for artists too, i think they had more visibility on the previous version of the site...
Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

yeah i did.. (late reply.. my bad heh..) i hate it

if you go to chennel aka our "group" there are like 3 songs that will play one after another that are bashing the new t61 look. So many people are upset about it. I'm having a really hard time finding new stuff now too. All i can really find are the songs that are hot now... it's not a great layout at all. It doesn't have the same flow, it doesn't have saved songs lists but now stupid playlists... it's just bleh. i don't use it much anymore. It looks nice, but the functionality of it has suffered. I've found 2 songs maybe since the change that i really like...

Anywho i could ramble on and on about it.. I'm not a happy camper... I want my old T61 back