Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Default Other Voices 8, Dingle

Humble apologies but it seems I had been mis informed. Other Voices 8 will be happening this year after all from Dec 5 to 9th
Snow Patrol, Richard Hawley, The XX and Temper Trap are among those who’ll be performing intimate live sets as part of this year’s Other Voices 8 extravaganza, which takes place in Dingle from December 5 to 9.

Tickets for each of the shows, which have a limited capacity of just 60, go on sale at 9am on Monday November 23 priced €35. Booking is limited to a maximum of two tickets and two nights per person.

Because of the fluid nature of the line-up, you’ll have to buy ‘blind’ – no great risk given the strength of previous line-ups, which have included such heavyweights as Steve Earle, Amy Winehouse, Elbow and Damien Rice.

Taking care of anchoring duties will be Dublin-born, Belfast-educated and London-domiciled BBC Radio One DJ Annie Mac.

http://www.hotpress.com/news/6007752.html
Old 11-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
verenita
... trusty and true ...

good news!
(i can´t believe i missed dingle )
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
mari
Eskimo Regular

That's great news Dan! Any news on who else will be playing this year?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

no idea. Bell X1 are playing in Killarney the same weekend so they'll probably make a reappearance
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
mari
Eskimo Regular

Oh well, I suppose the full line-up will be revealed soon enough. In the meantime, I'll keep speculating...
Old 11-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

it occurred to me last night that some acts that are playing in the Murphys Little Big Nights Out in Cork on Dec 5th might show up in Dingle too;
Florence and The Machine
The Magic Numbers
Lisa Hannigan
Villagers
Ian Whitty And The Exchange
Megafaun
Annette Buckley
Armoured Bear
O Emperor
Hope Is Noise
Slow Motion Heroes
Circus Cat
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
no idea. Bell X1 are playing in Killarney the same weekend so they'll probably make a reappearance
From their twitter :
BellX1 We will be performing in an acoustic fashion in Dingle for the TV show Other Voices on Sunday December 6th www.othervoices.ie about 2 hours ago from web

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

http://www.othervoices.ie/artists/

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

getting tickets for brother (40th b'day present) for their chosen Sunday night.
*F5*......*F5*......*F5*......*F5*......*F5*
Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

shoot. I went through all the steps and its still processing order. its not looking good....
Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

at 17.20 I got this;
Hi Daniel,
We have noticed that you did not seem to receive a confirmation email for the order for Other Voices tickets which you placed this morning.
We can confirm we received your order and the or your reference number is XXXXX. Also, just to note that you opted to get the tickets posted and they will be dispatched in the next couple of days,
Hope this helps.
Mark
Tickets.ie

sweet...not I'm going but still
Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

awwwwww - that's customer service!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

from Hotpress;

Quote:
Other Voices Hosts Intune Breakthrough Concert

In what is an important global first, Intune Networks, the Dublin based telecoms equipment supplier, today announced that it will give the first demonstration of its ground breaking 'optical burst' technology, with a live, high definition transmission of the Snow Patrol concert on December 5th, part of the Other Voices festival in Dingle. Intune Networks is partnering with Other Voices to showcase its unique technological advance (a distributed telecoms switch based on Optical Burst Switching) that enables mass, live, simultaneous content downloads with guaranteed and unparalleled quality.

The Snow Patrol concert will be transmitted live, to audiences in a number of locations in Dingle. This world first demonstration is aimed at illustrating that Intune’s ground breaking technology is ready to deliver the most demanding of live multi-media events and to meet people's highest expectations in terms of quality, across a multitude of devices and formats.

“The Other Voices event in Dingle is the perfect platform to demonstrate and showcase Intune’s technology for the very first time," Tim Fritzley, CEO of Intune Networks told Hot Press. "The technology was invented and developed in Ireland and it is fitting that a cultural event like Other Voices and world renowned band, Snow Patrol, have partnered with us for this demonstration. This combination will help underpin Ireland’s international reputation as a vibrant, dynamic, innovative society that values its living traditional and future technical cultures.

"With Internet traffic doubling every two years,” he added, “the world will need a next generation optical burst switch such as Intune Networks’ that will deliver the quality of personal experience that everyone has come to expect. Our technology will do this with a very low carbon footprint, as it tackles the issue of the internet’s power consumption, which continues to dramatically rise with the increased use of existing network equipment.”
The demo will involve live, high definition streaming from the Snow Patrol Concert in St James’ Church to a number of locations in Dingle connected to a fibre optic network. The concert will be broadcast live in High Definition on screens located in Benners Hotel. It will also be possible to view it by connecting into to a local WiFi spot, using a laptop or mobile device.

"Several other technology providers supplied user access equipment to connect to the Intune network, including Envivio, Magnet and ADB," a spokesperson added. "What makes this different to a normal broadcast is that it is delivered over an optical burst packet switched fibre network and guarantees uninterrupted, premium quality content – something that has been unachievable before now."
Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

great!! I'm not sure about Snow Patrol anymore, they kinda lost all credibility the other day when Gary did Set Fire as duet with Cheryl Cole
Old 12-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Full lineup announced today.

If anyone is going on Sunday do not miss The Antlers, I'll be at ATP this weekend and I'm gutted to be missing them in Dublin and in Dingle. They're amazing.

Saturday December 5th Snow Patrol and Ollie Cole
Sunday December 6th Bell X1, The Magic Numbers, The Antlers and Villagers
Monday December 7th Megafaun, Imelda May, The Lost Brothers and The Brothers Movement
Tuesday December 8th Brett Anderson, The Temper Trap, Jesca Hoop and Fionn Regan
Wednesday December 9th Richard Hawley, The xx and Speech Debelle
Old 12-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

And it looks like they'll be streaming the Snow Patrol set at the hotel across the street?

Quote:
THE world's first use of 'optical burst switching' to transmit a live performance will take place in Dingle at the weekend during the recording of a Snow Patrol concert for the forthcoming 'Other Voices' TV series.

Optical burst switching means InTune Networks will show the Snow Patrol concert, live in High Definition in Benners Hotel, where people will also be able to pick up the concert live on their personal devices, laptops, phones, etc.

Snow Patrol fans will welcome the live link to the hotel because, even though the concert venue in St James's Church is just across the road, it has a very limited capacity.
Thursday December 10 (Other Voices 'Other Room') Valerie Francis, 202s, The Chakras, O Emperor, James McMorrow and one other Irish act yet to be announced.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

theres a pub next door to the church had a live feed of the show the last time I was there (2006)

also it looks like OV8 will also be coming to a/an Xbox near you...
http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14576/

Quote:
Dingle ‘Other Voices’ content to appear on Xbox and MSN channels
The Other Voices TV series which features exclusive performances from St James’ Church in Dingle by acts such as Snow Patrol, Bell X1, The Magic Numbers and Fionn Regan is to appear on both MSN and Xbox Live as part of a deal between RTE and Microsoft.

The Other Voices series will kick off this Saturday night and will also be seen as a showcase for Irish technology company Intune Technologies’ ground-breaking new technology with a live, high-definition transmission of Snow Patrols’ performance in the church.

Commenting on Microsoft’s support for Other Voices, Microsoft Ireland MD Paul Rellis commented: “We firmly believe that embracing innovation in all its forms, across all sectors of the economy and society, is the route to economic recovery for Ireland.

“The approach taken to the Other Voices Festival by the team involved is a perfect example of innovation in practice and is an example of how we can continue to rebuild Ireland’s reputation both at home and abroad. This is an example of the Smart Economy in action.

“Over the course of the year ahead Microsoft and Other Voices will work together to help bring the ’Dingle performances’ to hundreds of thousands of people across the globe.

“We look forward to exploring how we can leverage our MSN and Xbox channels to help distribute this content, and also spread the message about the innovative things that are happening in Ireland. We are delighted that our technology can play a key enabling role in this ambition,” Rellis said.

The eighth instalment of Other Voices will take place in St James’ Church in Dingle, Co Kerry, from this coming Saturday, 5 December, through to Wednesday, 9 December. Tickets to each performance sold out within minutes of going on sale last week.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
mari
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
getting tickets for brother (40th b'day present) for their chosen Sunday night.
*F5*......*F5*......*F5*......*F5*......*F5*
What a lovely birthday present for your brother! Hope it was a brilliant evening! :-)
Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #19
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

it was, so he texted. They (brother & girlfriend) went down to Dingle on the Sat to watch the Snow Patrol gig on the TV across the road, "stage crammed with classical musicians" They stayed there and met up with them afterwards.
On the Sunday night they went into the church/ venue. They met up with BellX1, thought The Antlers were "sound", and were heading off to Shannon later at 2.30am. Imelda May was around. Lisa was around but brother didn't spot her (she played in Killarney the same weekend).
And they had a hangovers the next day. End of report
Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Daniel
This message has been deleted by Daniel.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #20
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Other Voices starts new series on February 3

The line-up has been announced for the eighth run of the Other Voices TV series, which debuts on RTÉ Two on February 3 and then airs for six consecutive Wednesdays with BBC Radio One's Annie Mac at the helm.
Doing their respective things in Dingle are:

February 3
Snow Patrol
Speeche Debelle
Adrian Crowley
Low Mountain

February 10
Imelda May
The Lost Brothers
The XX
O Emperor

February 17
Florence & The Machine
Brett Anderson
The Antlers
Valerie Francis

February 24
Bell X1
Megafun,
Jesca Hoop
The Chakras

March 3
Temper Trap
Magic Numbers
Fionn Regan
Lisa Hannigan
202s

March 10
Richard Hawley
The Brothers Movement
Villagers
James Vincent McMorrow

-----
I'll have to remember how to set the timer on the DVD recorder again. Its been a year since I used it
Old 01-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #21
mari
Eskimo Regular

^ Thanks for the heads up, now all I have to do is try and remember to listen in!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

just a reminder that OV8 begins tonight on RTE2 at 11.25pm.
Hopefully I'll sort out the mp3 of it by Sunday...busy busy
Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #23
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

I love snow patrol...!!!!!!!!
Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!!!!
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #24
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Nuts. There's a scart lead missing from the tv so can't record. should really have sorted this out before 11pm tonight. Meh. I'll sort it out for the repeat over the weekend. Oopsy & sworry