Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Mattien
Eskimo Baby

Default Damien Rice v. Ray LaMontagne

An excerpt from one of many posts:

"...Ray can play G, C, D for every song and still sell out venues in places all over the world. So in conclusion, no more of this Damien Rice/Ray Lamontagne comparision, because there really isn't much to compare."

http://p214.ezboard.com/fraylamontag...tart=1&stop=20

http://p214.ezboard.com/fraylamontag...cID=1009.topic

There is a lot of discussion on the Ray boards comparing Ray and Damo. I have read what many Ray fans have had to say, but I am curious to see what Eskimos think...
Mattien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
administrator
forum administrator

they're my two favourite singer / songwriters. they both write very emotion-full songs... i haven't seen ray yet (next week!!) but i think that they're quite different live...

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Mark Hogan
Eskimo Regular

My two favorites also. Passion is the key word, but clearly different styles. I'm okay with that.
Mark Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

I have seen each of them both live a number of times (damien i think 6 or 7 and ray 3). Emmet is right. They are very different performers. IMHO Damien is the far more versatile artist. He has a greater range, is more experimental and has many, many influences. His songwriting is also more complex, more nuanced. That being said Ray is an extraordiary artist and if have a chance to go...please do. l
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
cille
creepycute

I really really hope the rumours are true considering Ray accompanying Damien on the European tour in March. I used to think it could never be as good as when Josh Ritter opened for him, but maybe this time around will be just as good or better!!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
administrator
forum administrator

they're definitely true for german dates, and i assume for the rest of the european dates too! wooh!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
they're definitely true for german dates, and i assume for the rest of the european dates too! wooh!
That's SO great
Old 01-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #8
TRDW
Eskimo Friend

I really got into Ray over the past few years, but have been into Damo a lot more for a lot longer. That said I really like both, why do we have to compare???
Old 01-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #9
StatQuo
You never got me right!

I think it's hard not to like ray and damien and vice versa. I first discovered Damien and i believe it was here or at the damien.com board that i found the name Ray lamontagne. They are two of my favourite artists, and a chance of seeing them both on one night would be incredible. But why compair?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Yesterday I finally got Ray's "Trouble" album and I really like it. Had to get used to his voice, though. I need to listen to it more, but on first and second listen he already sounds amazing. Can't wait to see both of them live.
Lin@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

Why do we do this? Isn't this how WWI started?

Pick if you must, enjoy if you care....

By the way tell your answer to their faces when you see them next week together in Dublin downing Carling's before Ray's show. Although Ray enjoys a good Hoegaarden, when you give him the choice, sorry British, Belgium wins.
I'm So Childish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Am I the only Damo fan that doesnt like Ray. I just cant stand listening to him he really bores me, its weird cos i feel like i should like him but just dont.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
cille
creepycute

I didn't like his first album much either, but listening to his new album is heaven.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
ste_swann
Stupidest Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
I didn't like his first album much either, but listening to his new album is heaven.
I second that. Till the sun turns black is great, but I don't like Trouble that much...
ste_swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
Mattien
Eskimo Baby

The reason I initially posited this question was not to denounce either of the two artists, but to promote their intensity and their talent, all the while distinguishing between their differences. So, no fighting. I just think it's very interesting that SO many people enjoy these TWO singer/songwriters specifically. They obviously share a common thread that draws many of us back for more and more...

That said, I still cannot believe this to be true. Ray and Damien. The same nights. The same venues. The same stages. The amount of energy and passion that is going to bounce off of each wall will be timeless and historic. If anyone blessed enough to witness this is able to breathe or speak even two days after the experience, I will be surprised. All languages will fail to describe these nights. I think we should ban any textual reviews as it is impossible that they could ever do the concerts justice. Take this as my cry to any and all tapers...
Mattien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
ahilton
Eskimo Baby

I would say Damien is slightly more talented, although they are by far my two favourite artists.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend other artists who have a similar sound? I'm out of the loop with new music. I liked the david ford album, but haven't found much else.

Thanks.
ahilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #17
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilton
I would say Damien is slightly more talented, although they are by far my two favourite artists.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend other artists who have a similar sound? I'm out of the loop with new music. I liked the david ford album, but haven't found much else.

Thanks.
off topic: Maybe check out Joe Purdy. http://www.joepurdy.com/ Specially the 'Julie Blue' album is amazing, simple but amazing.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #18
beatleboogie
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilton

Thanks.
I wouldn't say they sound similar, but if you like melancholic music in general I'd recommend these (you probably heard them all):

Ed Harcourt, Tom McRae, Jeff Buckley, José Gonzales, Ryan Adams (when he's not too much "country&western") and even Shawn Mullins (when he's not too much country&western!)
beatleboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
mandrew123
Eskimo Baby

I got into Damien Rice through the Ray Lamontagne site. I went through a big ray phase and have been interested in Damien Rice for about a year. I prefer ray's first album because it has more of a folk sound, but still enjoyed the new one. I'll be in Scotland for Damien's Europe tour, so if he and Ray are together I might need to make a trip.
mandrew123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #20
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Am I the only Damo fan that doesnt like Ray. I just cant stand listening to him he really bores me, its weird cos i feel like i should like him but just dont.

I'll second that.. He's not my cup of tea. He's not angry enough. lol..

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice

Last edited by julia; 01-13-2007 at 04:27 PM.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
Mark Hogan
Eskimo Regular

Take sad when there's no mad.

Drink the Kool-aid with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJtJh...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4nKj...elated&search=
Old 01-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #22
Mark Hogan
Eskimo Regular

One more to taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VBVq...elated&search=
Old 01-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hogan

ok Mark I'll give it a listen.. lol.
cheers.

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #24
Mark Hogan
Eskimo Regular

I could hardly ask for more.

Okay I lie.

Buy "Till the Sun Turns Black."

Swirl it, sniff it, sip it. Be sad with his loneliness, take his advice to love yourself, and that war is not the answer. Drink with it, enjoy the emotion and passion of it, and see why so many of us love Damien and Ray.

Drink the Kool-Aid Julia. You'll like it.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:34 PM   #25
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

I really love both Ray and DR and listen to them very often.But I think they are quite different!!!
I hope Ray will be in Oslo with DR!!!
It will be just amazing!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #26
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator

I hope u are right! it will be great if it happen!!
Old 01-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #27
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hogan
I could hardly ask for more.

Okay I lie.

Buy "Till the Sun Turns Black."

Swirl it, sniff it, sip it. Be sad with his loneliness, take his advice to love yourself, and that war is not the answer. Drink with it, enjoy the emotion and passion of it, and see why so many of us love Damien and Ray.

Drink the Kool-Aid Julia. You'll like it.

OK Mark I listened and while I find Ray very talented and lovely. Damien is one of a kind in my opinion , his passion and soul just come through so strongly in his words and his delivery . Damien seems so exposed and so vulnerable I just feel different when I listen to Damien as opposed to any other sort of singer/songwriter. which I hate putting Damien in with that ilk.. But I know people do and lump him with Jack Johnson and James Blunt and the like, But to me He is soo different and I love him for his difference.
But I can appreciate your devotion to Ray he is wonderful ,He just doesn't draw me in like Damien, you know what I mean?
But thanks for sharing..
Sorry its very early here and I'm sort of rambling lol, off to make coffee...

cheers

Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #28
Mark Hogan
Eskimo Regular

No problem. I put Damien as a unique and superior talent too. I think I love the strong vocals, the willingness to stand alone with just an acoustic guitar, and the passion.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #29
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I would really love to hear this!!!

New - Damien Sings With Ray Lamontagne - 14 January 2007
At last night's recording of Taratata on French TV, Damien and Ray Lamontagne performed a cover of 'To Love Somebody' by The Bee Gees. The show will be broadcast in France in March.

from the news page...
lovely!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #30
GoodCatGoneBad
Chicago Eskimo

These are my two favorite artists, but I love them for different reasons. To say one is more talent than the other is comparing apples and oranges. They do excel in different areas, but what I respect in them both is the passion and heartbreak they manage to capture through lyrics and haunting melodies. Both do it so very well. It is refreshing to see pure talent succeed in an oversaturated market of overproduced force-fed crap music.

Their concerts have two different types of energies...ive seen Ray 9 times, and Damien 4. Ray is a very shy and introverted personality, and this carries over to the stage. Sometimes he interacts with the audience, most times not. This does not mean his shows are any less amazing than Damien's as you might think. On the contrary....He still has that passion, his voice is a true instrument and when his voice starts soring: watch out! I get chills listening to it. It is nice to see someone so talented, yet so humble. I am completely charmed by Ray's shyness by the way.

I personally think those who are making comparisons based solely on studio albums need to go see them both live to form a sound opinion. I'm not saying your opinions are any less valid than mine....I just personally think that the albums don't do either man justice. It never captures the energy a live show does. What both are capable of can not be express through a mp3 or a CD. For instance, I've always really liked Damien and appreciated his music...then I went to see him in concert. I was changed after that show. I was blown away and had a new found respect for the man and his music. I GOT it. I finally understood. I had no idea he was THAT f-ing talented. The same thing happened with Ray. Really liked his music, went to my 1st Ray show then BAMN, holy crap in god's green heaven, am I really seeing and hearing this? His voice! I got chills. Life changing. My jaw just dropped to the floor so to speak.

as for songwriting.....i'll say they are both equally talented on this front. Damien's may be more nuanced like someone said, but Ray's just cut to the core and break my heart. He tends to wear his heart on his sleeve. I love that about him.

What I love most about Damien is how he can turn it down a notch, into almost a whisper, then just completely jam out. Wow. Piano is also a turn on. I also believe he is more talented a musician than Ray, although I think Ray's voice is much much much more powerful. Damien amuses me more on stage (when he is talking to the audience)...both have me enthralled in a trance when they are performing.

anyways, opinions are like assholes, everyone has em. Lets just all agree they both rule. I love them both and saying one is better than the other is like asking to pick who is your favorite out of the children you mothered or fathered
GoodCatGoneBad is offline   Reply With Quote