Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 04-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

hey all -

after talking with the other tapers who have recently taped the damien philly and nyc shows ( 4-15 and 4-16 ) we would like it if there were not any torrents or public access file sharing of these shows. Its not that we dont want to sharethese recordingsor anything - but those servers are a bit shady. You never quite know who has access to these files and what or wherethey will be next. trader - Please keep these shows in privet servers ( FTP ) or just keep up the B&P work. by doing this there will be more great recordings to come.

Thank you for your understanding. any comments can be directed towards Patrick Nobles. in order to keep the peace - email me with all comments. thank you.

PatrickNobles

pnobles@udel.edu
Old 04-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
cnpubwear
Eskimo Regular

4-15 is already there, which shows would you not like torrented?
cnpubwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
greppson
Eskimo Baby

well, torrents are only available to those who sign up for the message board(at sharingthegroove.org) unless it gets reposted somewhere else, which doesn't even seem to be an issue.
greppson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

I feel as though those thoughts are a tiny bit misguided, Patrick. SharingTheGroove is such an incredible resource for so many different types of live shows, it would be a shame to think that Damien should not be included into that mix. And by making the shows free and available to everyone, I don't know why you might worry about the Bootlegging of the show - that is what you are referring to, correct? That someone may download the show and then sell it? Well, you just need to take away the market for bootlegging . . .

As a possibly alternative, you could look to uploading a torrent to bt.etree.org - another great resource. And etree is very well respected.

I just find the private servers that I have tried to access are either too slow, or not enough open slots.

I call architecture frozen music.

- J.W. Goethe
jwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

There has been alot of Damo on STG lately, should be more!
thierryhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:37 PM   #6
cnpubwear
Eskimo Regular

i discovered Damo on sharingthegroove so I think it's a great place for us to show our support and spread the word, I'll be putting montreal up tomorrow
cnpubwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
standonlytofall
Eskimo Friend

E-Tree isn't really an option. Damien's people released a "trading policy" in january which stated that they didn't want unreleased songs (songs from O or singles) on places like E-Tree. it sucks, but that's what the policy said. here was my response to it.

Hello,

I just wanted to send a quick e-mail stating my position on the recent Damien Rice Taping Policy. While I can understand the reasons you would not want unreleased tracks being traded, I do feel that this policy could severly cripple the Damien Rice trading community. I feel that this policy was a poor decision for several reasons:

1. Most people who trade shows are fans of the artist and would attend a show within a reasonable distance of where they live. I cannot imagine a fan deciding not to attend a show so they can listen to prerecorded shows instead.

2. One thing I loved about trading shows is that I was able to know more songs when I saw Damien live than just the songs on the album. Without being able to listen to these songs beforehand, I doubt I would have enjoyed the show as much with most songs being "new" to me.

3. Many artists enocurage taping of shows (Howie Day, John Mayer, David Gray) have open trading policies and they are still able to sell music. While I have not researched the correlation between an Open Trading Policy and record sales, I believe that

4. People who are not able to attend shows (because of geographical distance, other commitments, etc.) are able to experience a small part of the show they missed. For example, I have heard shows from California, New York, Germany, Ireland, just to name a few; all of which are too far for me to go to. This also helps the listener hear how the artist has progressed throughout their career.

5. Fans who enjoy the artist enough to trade thier shows know enough to not charge others for them, so listeners are not making money off of the artist. They are doing it simply for the LOVE OF THE MUSIC.

6. Many listeners (myself included) enjoy listening to different versions of their favorite songs. While I adore the album, some of my favorite songs have not been commercially released yet. Since I enjoy music so much (especially Damien's), it is relaxing for me to put on a show, be it one I attended, or one I could not attend.

7. I feel that this trading policy does not make people "become too accoustomed to the live recordings" to enjoy them when they are finally released, so much as it gives the listener an indication to the direction the artist is heading. People who take the time to trade shows will buy the album when it comes out, and if they really do not like the album version, the album has already been sold and the record label loses no money on the deal.

8. As far as the renaming of tracks with "unapproved songs" removed is deceptive. As a true fan of the music, I do not just listen to the music tracks of the shows I trade for, I listen to the shows from beginning to end, from the intro to all of the banter in between songs to the encore to the clapping as the artist leaves the stage. I view it as a true archiving of the individual concert, and since each show takes place on a different day, at a differet venue, with a different crowd, with the artist in a different mood, that makes each show unique and special. Otherwise, why would i have 50+ Howie Day shows? I could probably fit every song he's ever played on 4 or 5 CD's, so why bother having more than 100 CDs devoted to him? Be cause each show is unique, a unique feeling, a unique crowd, etc. Especially Damien Rice shows, since he puts on such an emotional show.

9. One of the greatest things is being able to listen to a show you attended on CD. Sadly enough, the two Damien Rice shows I have been to in Chicago, IL, US were not recorded, so I am not able to go back and listen to those, but it is truly amazing being able to re-listen to a show you were at and to be able to feel the way you did at the show again. With the new taping policy, I can help but think that I wouldn't feel quite the same about having a copy of a show I was at if I was only able to listen to half of it with large chunks missing.

I guess what I really want is a better explanation of the reasons behind the Taping Policy. I don't feel that the reasons given adequately explain the decision to allow only certain songs to be traded. When you have the time, I would really like to hear back from you. Sorry this e-mail was so long, but I wanted to make sure I said what I wanted to. While I do not think that my single e-mail will change the Damien Rice Taping Policy, I hope it helps you understand the feelings of the fans who are traders. I feel confident that any true fan would feel the same way I do, and I hope you receive more e-mails of this nature to possibly help you re-think the policy.

With the Utmost Respect,

Jeremy Williams
(jeremy_williams@tayloru.edu)</font>

standonlytofall |at| yahoo.com
http://db.etree.org/standonlytofall
standonlytofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

I realized that trading policy was passed on to The Archive, but I was not thinking that it would apply to bt.etree.org as well . . . I think you have a point. It's too bad, but . . .

Hmmmm.

I call architecture frozen music.

- J.W. Goethe
jwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:12 AM   #9
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnpubwear
i discovered Damo on sharingthegroove so I think it's a great place for us to show our support and spread the word, I'll be putting montreal up tomorrow
Thanks!
thierryhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:39 AM   #10
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

the upper darby show is not on sharing the groove any more. if anyone here hasn't gotten a copy of it yet and would still like to , leave you email address here and i will contact you with information on how to do this. ( no B&amp;Ps , please dont email - i still get about 2-5 email aday asking for B&amp;Ps and i will not respond... its closed! )

thanks!