Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 06-22-2015, 02:30 AM   #1
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Default Chicago 6-21-2015

Details, I need details!

How long did Iron and Wine play? How long did Damien play? Did they play together?

Setlist?
mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
cookienator
Eskimo Friend

Apparently he played lonelily! Super jel right now.
cookienator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Hiya! The show was fantastic! Iron and Wine played for an hour, Damien played for almost two hours-ish! It was amazing! A lot of oldies, including lonelily. And he broke out the clarinet. Venue was gorgeous.

First time in Chicago for me so no clue where/if he'd do an aftershow...?

Set list:

Cannonball
Delicate
Blowers daughter, part 2
9 crimes (electric loop ending)
The greatest bastard
Trusty and true (on harmonium)
I remember (electric loop ending)
The box
Lonelily (said it was the first time in 7 years he's played it live!)
Cold water
The professor + la Fille danse
Long long way (on harmonium)
Volcano (with the three part singalong)

---encore---

The blowers daughter
Killing me (Intro) > takes a lot to know a man (on cymbals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, clarinet, and triangle) (it was intense!!)

Photos and vids will have to come once I'm back home in toronto.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Ooooooooo Cold Water. Nice!

Thanks for the report srahman24, safe travels back to Toronto

Looking forward to photos/vids!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

damo has zero memory... He did Lonelilly at the Box
Old 06-22-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
cookienator
Eskimo Friend

It looks like he sang cold water with a bunch of women on stage. The Instagram video didn't sound toooo great. Hope it was better in person.
cookienator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Sadly, it was not... But he was in good spirits about it.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
schuylerjoy
Eskimo Baby

It Takes a Lot to Know a Man was crazy, the sound was better live, but I thought I'd throw it up here! I have more vids and such, I just had to go back and look at this one tonight...

https://youtu.be/qxpFrTGsGfY
schuylerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #9
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

but it was a choir for Cold Water?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #10
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

No he asked for 1 woman who knew the words and could sing and 20 women who had no idea what the words were and couldn't sing worth a lick bum rushed the stage and spent the time up there taking selfies and talking. Kinda took the steam out of an otherwise fantastic show.

Brought my dad for fathers day to his first damien show. Saw a tear in his eye during trusty and true. Like father like son.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
verenita
... trusty and true ...

lonelily! wow... i´d die if he played live while i´m there. thanks shar and guys for the reviews! it sounds like it was an amazing gig! i´m counting down the days here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Brought my dad for fathers day to his first damien show. Saw a tear in his eye during trusty and true. Like father like son.
aaawww!
Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #12
jeffbrownmusic
Something unusual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
No he asked for 1 woman who knew the words and could sing and 20 women who had no idea what the words were and couldn't sing worth a lick bum rushed the stage and spent the time up there taking selfies and talking. Kinda took the steam out of an otherwise fantastic show.
Yeah, it was kind of a train wreck. Bet he doesn't do that again for a while.

The rest of the show was absolutely spectacular.
jeffbrownmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

That's very sweet of you, Shillelagh. I saw a few father/kid pairings in the crowd yesterday

Wish I had thought to post here before the gig to arrange and Eskimo meet up! Next time. You've got a great little city here (even if the weather is bipolar).

I'm still buzzing over it. It was such a perfect show, even with a Juniper reference! Forgot to mention that yesterday. He jokingly played the first verse of I Rememberr Juniper style while talking about how the song was formed.

Stefan, he mentioned Lisa helped bring it to its current form (she got a cheer from the audience). So maybe our telepathic plan worked out a bit after all
Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

I did like that whole I remember tale....was nice

you missed the best line tho....when the gal who must have been like first couple rows dead center asked for lonelilly didn't quite pronounce it right and he said "I thought you said lonely willy" haha

great show - agreed on the unfortunate outcome of cold water although was still good to get

but that crooning over the harmonium??!! dang
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
JSteggs
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
damo has zero memory... He did Lonelilly at the Box
He also forgot to do No One Need Know "next time he was in Chicago".
JSteggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #16
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Lonelily should definetely be renamed Lonely Willy

agree on Cold Water, he should stick to do it on his own without inviting people, eithr they cannot song or they don´t know the lyrics, especially when he duets with famous singers...
Old 06-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

The girl called it lonely Lilly and he heard it as lonely Willy. I thought the girls and 1 guy up there was funny (but definitely a hot mess). So many of them were drunk and 2 started dancing with each other. And then, they wanted to talk to him after and get hugs. There was an adorable 2 year old in the front (who was a bit distracting), but it was cute hearing her say his name when her mom asked her who he was.

The new lighting backdrop is a nice touch. He mentioned a lighting woman at the MSG show (I remember it bc the lighting was amazing that night) and I wonder if they are working together again. I loved the end when the lights stay on and the loops are still playing even after he leaves the stage.

I think the I remember story with the "old band" reference (he didn't say Juniper by name) sounded familiar, but the Lisa reference on stage was nice. I feel I can recite the Trusty and True story by heart at this point.

I love the self loathing nine crimes and the harder, louder sound. He asked people to come up closer to the stage near the end because I guess hard and loud doesn't work well with people seated and so far away. No energy. I definitely prefer smaller venues though.

I thought Iron & Wine was amazing, as well. He was personable and playful with the crowd. He was charmingly funny and the show was all requests. He's definitely rocking the over-grown lumber sexual look, but I like it. It suits him. I've never heard of him until the Red Rocks announcement and am becoming a big fan. I'm no expert on tabs and what not, but his guitar playing is outstanding because it's something I notice. He borrowed Damien's guitar and played that for a bit. He sounded a bit more twangy than breathy live (there's a fine line between folk/indie and country for me). I prefer the breathy. His lyrics would be fun to discuss in a poetry class.

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 06-23-2015 at 12:35 AM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:31 AM   #18
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteggs View Post
He also forgot to do No One Need Know "next time he was in Chicago".

I know!!! I kept yelling that.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
schuylerjoy
Eskimo Baby

I think I have all my videos up (I had 2 cameras and a phone!)

https://www.youtube.com/user/SchuylerJo

I Remember really shows some of the lighting...I posted some of them without watching them all the way through, so hopefully they are ok!
schuylerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #20
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeagle View Post
Took this video, hope you guys enjoy it

https://youtu.be/S7hSSJzAHyI
Thank you for posting this! I figured I would comment on this old thread. I forgot to mention in my lengthy musings that I did notice that he cut out the beginning part of the song. I don't know if it's because he was in a hurry, just prefers the end, or dislikes the beginning. The ending of this song is spectacular, and I like how you can really hear the quiet parts of the album more in the live version. It is definitely one of my favorites now! And, the CLARINET!!

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 06-23-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #21
damien lisa
am i breaking u

err, worst Cold water ever
Old 06-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #22
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
Thank you for posting this! I figured I would comment on this old thread. I forgot to mention in my lengthy musings that I did notice that he cut out the beginning part of the song. I don't know if it's because he was in a hurry, just prefers the end, or dislikes the beginning. The ending of this song is spectacular, and I like how you can really hear the quiet parts of the album more in the live version. It is definitely one of my favorites now! And, the CLARINET!!
In Iceland, he said he goes through phases with songs and that right now he is really into ITALTKAM, he then proceeded to play at 15 minute version. He included the clarinet, hand bells, electronic drum pads and cymbals for the first time. It was insane.

I think hes played it at every show since then.

Then last week in Brooklyn, he said "I've got a clock here that's telling me to stop." "I'll get a little bit of it in." Damn curfews!

Must be so awesome to play it, when those drum pad things kick in, he must feel so powerful.

Like hes creating magic with his musical sorcery.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #23
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerennie View Post
In Iceland, he said he goes through phases with songs and that right now he is really into ITALTKAM, he then proceeded to play at 15 minute version. He included the clarinet, hand bells, electronic drum pads and cymbals for the first time. It was insane.

I think hes played it at every show since then.

Then last week in Brooklyn, he said "I've got a clock here that's telling me to stop." "I'll get a little bit of it in." Damn curfews!

Must be so awesome to play it, when those drum pad things kick in, he must feel so powerful.

Like hes creating magic with his musical sorcery.
It is like a magical chemistry and just seems fun. Like he's a kid playing. Even his form in shadows while he's performing this seems very childlike.

I don't know if he did the thing where he leaves the stage as the loops are still playing and allows them to continue well after he has gone at other shows. The crowd just stood there for like 5-10 minutes just looking at the stage. People even stopped clapping and just stood there looking. Kind of like when you say goodbye and watch someone leave, with memories running through your head of their visit, but you keep looking at the empty space, trying to will them to come back. He also stopped some of the harder songs abruptly during the show, where at other shows the songs have kind of transitioned into each other. Interesting emotions elicited by both techniques!

Are the European shows longer? I don't know if the curfews are different in Chicago, but it felt like he ended way before 11. Between curfews and unions, I'm about to start a protest!

I want a 4 hour Damien show and a 2 hour Iron & Wine Show! Colorado seems loose with it's "laws." I'm going to look up the curfews, that might be the deciding factor to determine if I go. Red Rocks might be a different kind of show on lots of levels.

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 06-24-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #24
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien lisa View Post
err, worst Cold water ever
I must confess I saw that coming from a mile away and got up for beers at that point
Old 06-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #25
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
Colorado seems loose with it's "laws." I'm going to look up the curfews, that might be the deciding factor to determine if I go. Red Rocks might be a different kind of show on lots of levels.
red rocks has a curfew but absolutely doesn't matter....if you have the option it will be stellar...absolutely one of the best venues in murica

I hung out with sam there last summer when he was opening for the head and the heart....great mellow dude
Old 06-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #26
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24 View Post
Stefan, he mentioned Lisa helped bring it to its current form (she got a cheer from the audience). So maybe our telepathic plan worked out a bit after all

ahaha! on the other side, lisa didnt mentionned damien AT ALL
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #27
Jokerplunge
Eskimo Regular

After over 10 years of trying to line up seeing a Damien concert, this is the one that finally happened. It was worth every second, and the encode of Blowers Daughter was the icing for me. I&W was gravy at that point. Such a spectacular show.
Jokerplunge is offline   Reply With Quote