Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 09-07-2005, 11:35 PM   #31
Andrew
Eskimo Regular

Quote by Henry:
"Andrew, I'm just telling you that this was indeed known and predicted, and Bush and his administration decided to do nothing. Do you live in the U.S? Because if you did, you'd be paying 3+ Dollars a gallon for gas unnecessarily. Something unheard of here and that Americans in general, are not used to. I'm sure you know, Louisiana is a very important state due to 1/3 of our gas being stored there, it's the government's job to do anything necessary to fix that state in case of a large hurricane, not the people's job. LA is a state that gets affected by any hurricane that comes through in the Gulf. Hurricane season takes up almost half a year. Hurricanes are more frequent now because of the times we live in. Do the math. Why not take care of this earlier?
But hell, since that wasn't done, why not deliver aid in time at least? This government is doing a lot now, I can't deny that. But why not earlier? Why did so many people had to die before they took action? Fire fighters and police are committing suicide and turning in their badges because they can't take the pressure of keeping New Orleans together. That shows that it's too much too late. Too many corpses, too many looters. Poorer countries got far better resonses with similar catastrophies. 9/11 got better reaction. I just don't understand.. why so slow?"

First of all Henry, lets not relate a natural disaster to a terroist attack. The attack on the world trade center happened in the middle of a city, it did not demolish the city, therefore, it was easy to aid that particular area since it covered just a tiny fraction of space...There were not thousands of homeless refugees to take care of and to find shelter for...thats why this is taking so long. Bush is having to relocate an entire city. Like I said, do not blame Bush for what happened on the Gulf Coast, blame local government officials, we already covered this. Firefighters and police are committing suicide because they are witnessing the actions of those who are exploiting this disaster. They are seeing their neighbors killing each other in the streets...that has nothing to do with government, it has to do with individual values.
Of course a poorer country is going to seem like more is being done. No offense is meant by this statement, but those poor countries were not in the best shape before a disaster...It makes it a lot easier to repair an area back to normal when normal to them is a tin shack and their idea of a business district is small, run down two story buildings. New Orleans is a heavily populated city with structures over 100 years old. Their downtown is full of skyscrappers and buildings that are extremely more expensive to repair. Plus, the city was flooded, usually, entire cities are not flooded during hurricanes, another reason why it is hard to just start rebuilding. Even the poorest people in New Orleans are wealthy by third world standards...So much is being done and you are just making absurd statements due to your frustration with bush.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #32
Mankman
You Crazy Diamond

"So much," Andrew?????? I think not. Sure, SOMETHING is being done, but not "so much." Thats just an overly glib statement. No-one is denying that something is being done, but, plain and clear, not enough is being done. ANd thats the truth, whether you be a bush lover (god forbid) or a bush hater.
Mankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #33
Andrew
Eskimo Regular

I am sure you can see everything being done Mankman...I am sure you have family from that area living at your parents house. Forgive me for my statement, I have no idea what I am talking about.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #34
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

i really don't like the redcross website. it really makes me feel stupid. all the guilt-tripping etc. I want an informative website which offers the taking of donations to help the needy. but all the language used is so targetted and biased it makes me feel manipulated if i donate. which is a bad thing if they want me to. and if i myself want to.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #35
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

^ oo i take the above statement back, just looked at the site, it's allot better since i first went on it.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #36
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

i was watching a samuel l jackison interview last night. he is filming somewhere in mississippi and said that he actually ahs the opporunity to help out firsthand. what moved me about what he said was the fact that he would much rather give someone affected by the storm a warm meal than to donate to the red cross and other organizations knowing in the back of his mind that if he gave them $, not all would be for the affected, some would end up in the pockets of some guy in his office working for the red cross. This really makes sense--you would figure people would just be willing to dedicate their life to the red cross even if it meant not getting paid all the time but that's not the case. Unfortunatly for most of us, organizations like the red cross are the only ways to get aid out there. But to anyone who does as mr. jackson did, being out in front and with those affected, I comende you greatly--I'm sure the victims appreciate it greatly.

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote