Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Default Football Thread

and no im not calling it soccer

Anyways in responce to timee saying ireland shouldnt be satisfied with 1 point from 3 games.

Of course we should at this point. After the germany game we were hard done by and it really could have gone either way. but we all kinda know they will top the group at this stage. Cyprus was a huge disaster, but to pick yourselves up from that and play like a team that wanted to win, wanted to get somewhere. THAT is creditable. and thats why im happy with the performance.
We wont qualify. Deep down ill always support and hope that we can, but im too realistic when i look at czech away and slovakia... not to mention wales
But id be happy with a good performance and a good starting block to regain some youth and depth to the squad.
Give staunton a chance. Managers can turn things around and are easy to point blame at. But i admire his courage with his team selection tonight and it paid off

To anyone who doesnt follow football and read this.... I appologise

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #2
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

A question I see from this that is often discussed is, in football, or soccer as us American's call it, are there any moral victories? Or are there only wins and losses, and ties, etc.?

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Well i suppose there are moral victories. You just dont get points for them

To ireland usually a draw against a big team is a win, even tho we've had teams that are capable of beating most of them..

Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

We should have 7 points from the 3 games. But at least yesterday we showed we can still play and still hope. With 14 players to come back from injury/suspension we should be in a good state for the rest of the campaign... Only question is whether Stauton has finally turned the corner, or are we going to play like we did against Cyprus again.

We can still qualify, anything can happen in football... just look at how Cyprus beat us.

Great things from last night was McShane finally giving us a possible partner for Dunne in central defence and Kelly doing brilliantly in left back where we could do with more options.

So if everyone was fit and playing on top form, who would be our starting 11?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
administrator
forum administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
and no im not calling it soccer

ways support and hope that we can, but im too realistic when i look at czech away and slovakia... not to mention wales
i think you're probably right... but i'm glad that there are some tough teams in the group... there are a lot of tough games for the czechs as well... they're bound to drop points. maybe not against cyprus but possibly against germany, wales and their second slovakian game. so there's a long way to go... i'm sure we'll win our next two games and hopefully get lots of goals to help build confidence... after that we have some croke park games, and hopefully the team's confidence will be much higher then. it's too early to say that it will be the germans and the czechs, but they are strong favourites.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
We wont qualify. Deep down ill always support and hope that we can, but im too realistic when i look at czech away and slovakia... not to mention wales
thats my point. i would only be happy with qualifying.
and if you looked at our fixtures for the group at the start and decided "how are we going to qualify" you would definitely have to be beating Czech Republic.

and about being happy about getting draws against big teams?
Ireland wasn't/isn't so far off being a "big team". in terms of talent and quality we are a disgrace but in terms of effort we are good.

i just don't feel proud of ireland for DRAWING with the czech republic.
i feel like how roy keane would feel in that we should be striving for the best and at the moment we are overly realistic and hoping for draws and stuff.

you need to get the balance right.
at the moment...
pessimism>effort
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Well you have to grant that the squad staunton has to work with is very limited. Jack Charlton had one of the best squads available. McCarthy also had a brilliant squad.
This is a young team, and granted a few key players we are starting from scratch. Im happy if we perform. Qualifying is definately key, but id prefer to build for the future with the player's we have.

Anyways san marino should be fun. Everyone other country develops its team over the years. But they seem to remain an easy scape goat for a good thrashing. 2 games and -20 goals against. hillarious

Old 10-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
administrator
forum administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
i just don't feel proud of ireland for DRAWING with the czech republic.
i feel like how roy keane would feel in that we should be striving for the best and at the moment we are overly realistic and hoping for draws and stuff.
i think it would be different if we had been at full strength... but we were missing 7 or 8 players that could have started the game... so a draw against one of the best teams in the world at full strength is a great result...

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #9
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

alls i'm saying is Scotland are going to qualify with France!

it's a dream, but a very realistic one. the young squad that we have are very formidable

My Band

My Usual Hangout
droovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

well west ham were bought today for £85 million!

Magnusson's consortium have secured agreements to buy 83% of shares and the Hammers' board have recommended the offer to remaining shareholders.
Magnusson will replace Terry Brown as West Ham chairman, although Brown will stay on at Upton Park as a director.

Magnusson's consortium is backed by Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson, a financier worth $1bn and chairman of Icelandic bank Landsbanki.

It is thought to have taken on the club's £22.5m debt, although there is no mention in the club's announcement.

this is fantastic news for me, being an avid west ham supporter! the other parties who were interested in buying all looked dodgy and corrupt.

Im a bit worried not that Tevez and Mascherano (the 2 world class argentinians) will leave, due to Media Sports Investors owning their contracts, and due to them not winning the takeover

Debt cleared, money available! Im a happy man!!

Old 11-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Did Tevez and Mascherano ever play well for West Ham though?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

both are taking time to warm to the premiership, let alone european football

Tevez has shown what he is capable of and against chelsea last week he was a class above what he has shown so far, i predict by christmas he will have won everyone over

Mascherano hasnt played at all, Pardew has gone for mullins instead and a good choice as mullins is still good enough to hold him out of them team

Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #13
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

oh and heres a picture of the new chairman
he is freaky looking! looks like an extra from a star wars movie!

Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

That whole deal with bringing them in was very strange...

Old 11-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #15
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Yikes. That is a bad angle...

*after seeing second photo* maybe not...

Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #16
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
That whole deal with bringing them in was very strange...
it was, but alot of other clubs approached and lost interest, its due to the contracts they signed. Nothing is out in the open but its reported the clauses they have in their contracts mean west ham will get little of the money if they are sold on. Hence why they were the only team to jump at the chance

Supposedly Tevez and Mascherano are life long west ham fans
but they're bound to say that

Old 11-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #17
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Did you hear about the new irish kid being looked at by lots of big clubs?

He's Scottish really, but he declared for us to grant his Irish Grandad's dying wish (apparently). His name is James (or Jimmy) McCarthy. Just turned 16 a couple of weeks ago. Plays for Hamilton Accademical...

I read on BBC football gossip that Man U were looking at him... further research shows interest from Chelsea, Liverpool, Deportivo, Barcellona etc...

Old 11-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

havent heard about him, there seems to be alot of good irish players coming through now. Terry dixon is hailed as the next rooney and stokes should get his call up soon being the top goalscorer in the scottish premier league!

Man united also have Freddy Adu on 2 week trial. The player everyones been raving about for years. he was signed for DC United in america at the age of 14 and USA stupidly didnt bring him to the world cup saying he was "too young" He's only 17 now i think

Old 11-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #19
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Isn't Terry Dixon out with a bad leg injury? Rest of the season stuff I think. Hopefully he'll recover soon...

Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #20
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Man united also have Freddy Adu on 2 week trial. The player everyones been raving about for years. he was signed for DC United in america at the age of 14 and USA stupidly didnt bring him to the world cup saying he was "too young" He's only 17 now i think
i have a feeling you read too much teletext
Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #21
orangeB
Eskimo Baby

Default moral victories

Of course there are moral victories. When you are English, as I am, you cling to them. A moral victory is being narrowly beaten by Germany, Argentina or Portugal.You then spend the next 2 weeks mumbling " we invented the bloody game..." and "well, they cheated anyway".
Being English is.... watching your team through rose tinted spectacles, or maybe whilst having rose tinted testacles would be easier!!!
orangeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #22
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
i have a feeling you read too much teletext
sky sports news actually. its good to keep updated with all the news

Old 11-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #23
Rovena
what will you say?

I have the feeling that this is going to be an "only guys" thread

Rovena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #24
Timeé
Intello

hell no we're not feminist. rovena you rock! join in
Old 11-21-2006, 11:07 PM   #25
Rovena
what will you say?

lol... Thank you, Timeé! But I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute, I havent really watched many games since the world cup, which was very disappointing if you ask me. Well, I did watch part of the Real Madrid and Lyon game today...

Old 11-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #26
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

as long as theres no "oh christian ronaldo is so dreamy" talk then im happy for any woman to discuss football here

and no pictures of him either.. i despise him

Old 11-21-2006, 11:56 PM   #27
Rovena
what will you say?

Quote:
as long as theres no "oh christian ronaldo is so dreamy" talk then im happy for any woman to discuss football here

and no pictures of him either.. i despise him
Don't worry...lol...He's not my type. In my opinion, he's quite an arrogant bastar.d

Old 11-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #28
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

yay

Old 12-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #29
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

some big news in football today for me.

after a run of poor performances and results Alan Pardew was sacked as manager of West Ham.

West Ham fan's would always be the first to turn on a manager or give out about the way the club is being run. I dont think ive seen or heard of one fan who isnt suprised and gutted by this decision. 11 defeats in our last 15 games is a poor record but i think Alan's successes outway his failures.
The team are the blame and their lack of commitment. Nigel Reo Coker should be dropped and i think the two argies can go now, unless they gel well with a new manager

anyways Curbishly is the favourite to take over, which i would be delighted with. Excellent manager who played for and supports west ham, and will keep the integrity and the youth system intact to keep us being one of the top teams in england

anyways needed a good rant. Very worrying times to be a west ham supporter! Lets just hope Sven isnt appointed

Old 12-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #30
Timeé
Intello

have you gone to see West Ham many times Simon?