Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #31
Oisin
How Do U Keep Love Alive?

Default Face facts its an electric show!

Its has to be electric show it all makes sense and I think its a good thing! I was a bit surprised by the change myself but it looks like lisa and tomo are off touring on their own (ie tribeca film festival). Damien has made it clear that the line up was never permanent and if anyone wanted to go off and do their own thing that was fine. Lisa deserves the chance to make her own career out of what she has been blessed with, an amazing talent. As for not knowing why another guitarist is needed there are three guitar parts on cannonball from what I can hear on the album!! The only thing I will be shocked about is if Lisa does not featured on the new album at all!!! That would be a shame as the prospect of her voice on a rock album excites me, especially missing harmonies and a female charcacter perspective in the songs(ie cold water) In saying all that i'm sure he will have his trusty lowden along for the ride with him as well!

What, what are the words
They use when they know it's over
"We need to talk," or
"I'm confused, maybe later you can come over"

Ryan Adams
Oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #32
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Whats with all the negativity about getting a bit more "electric"? Wouldn't kill people to be a bit more open minded!

But yeah Damien and the new band did a surprise opening set at the Darren Hayes gig over the weekend. They opened with a much funkier version of Blowers Daughter Part 2....some very slick guitar playing from Joel

They then did two new songs. They might have been the same ones he played in Singapore. Again, very upbeat and energetic, a lot of Talking Heads-ish bass work from Shane and an amazing solo at the end of the third song by Joel and Damien (they did a kinda Thin Lizzy-ish harmony thing!)

Next they reached way back into the Juniper catalogue and whipped out Full Moon. Joel sang Damien's part (because he was on lead guitar) and Damien rapped what used to be Paul Noonan's part. Vyvienne transferred to keyboards for the outro solo on the piano.

In a surprising turn of events one of Vyv's tunes got an airing, "Random Man on the Motorway". A bit different to how I'm accustomed to hearing it (fewer cellos!) but cool nonetheless & some nice loops from Damien and Vyv as an outro.

They closed with a 10 minute Volcano, with Lisa walking out to do her part to huge applause. She even threw in a bit of Fields of Athenry while Damien and Joel jammed it out!

Set:
BD2
New Song 1
New Song 2
Full Moon
Random Man
Volcano

Pic of Damo and Joel rocking out
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #33
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Sounds like a good night!!

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...

Last edited by Beevers_uk; 05-09-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #34
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Yeah it was unbelievable

-- Simon Armitage

Last edited by Closing_Doors; 05-09-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #35
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Do mean that we shouldn't believe it because it didn't happen?!
Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #36
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

I don't like the dirty trick. But clever. I give you that.

But I do agree that I am excited about POSSIBLE change to electric. I love Juniper's stuff, very unique sound, not saying that thats what it will be, but just saying Damien is talented enough that I will follow whatever way he goes cuz im sure it will be good, if not great. But I also like a mix of acoustic and electric... perfect example... Matthew Good.
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #37
cille
creepycute

seems he is trying out a new rockier setup, how exciting is that?

can't wait to hear what'll come out of it!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #38
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i guess we're just gonna have to get used to the "new band". but no lisa and no tomo, i'm heartbroken
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #39
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
I don't like the dirty trick. But clever. I give you that.
I kid cause I love

Plus it's bound to scare the purists out there...

-- Simon Armitage
Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #40
mickey13086

don't worry closing... you made me laugh. i like a good joke/prank. maybe we should start a thread as this semester at college, I was involved in a prank war. anyways, don't mean to hijack the thread , but excitement is in the air, i can feel it in eskimo land.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #41
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
I kid cause I love

Plus it's bound to scare the purists out there...
so wait...what?...you didnt see them play recently in vicar street at all??...arg...there is far to much stupid sarcasm on this forum...!

i have to agree i'd love him to do the 'darker album' that he has been talking about for so long...i think prague and the angry part of 'i remember'... and cold water and cheers darling..are the best parts of 'o'..so yeah that will definatley be a good thing...but im still very very nervous bout the second album...even though i have faith in the guy and all...i just cant help it...

okay...hahaha...i just googled 'darren hayes'...very funny...my how witty we all are...and that too was sarcasm
im not god - no - im not god.i may love you,but I'm not god -

Last edited by hbhdaem; 05-10-2006 at 06:44 PM.
hbhdaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #42
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

It kind of stands to reason if the next record is going to be, as has long been assumed here, rockier that he'd have a second guitarist to make it work better and fill out the sound. And if he's going to read test that material then bringing Joel along is a good idea.

No one seems to be considering that the decision to not have Lisa come along could be an ego thing. It is "Damien Rice" on the marquee/CD cover after all and look at the amount of despondance here because his backing/co/whatever-vocalist isn't coming on tour, a touch of the green eyed monster perhaps. Just putting the idea out there.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #43
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
No one seems to be considering that the decision to not have Lisa come along could be an ego thing. It is "Damien Rice" on the marquee/CD cover after all and look at the amount of despondance here because his backing/co/whatever-vocalist isn't coming on tour, a touch of the green eyed monster perhaps. Just putting the idea out there.
Yeah well, it is kind of thought that Dylan stopped performing with Joan Baez coz of that very same monster, right?

but i dunno...i doubt that'd be the reason...though then again thats what i would say...i've got a monster following me around who always paints my glasses a rosey colour whenever Damien and the scooby gang are mentioned...but i'm young, i'll learn...though hopefully not...rambling now...sorry
Old 05-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #44
SifterUK
Eskimo Friend

My thoughts are:

1. Lisa is not touring

or

2. Lisa is not considered part of the band

or

3. Lisa is not involved in the new Damien Rice Album/Tour.

I'm hoping it is not option 3.
SifterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #45
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhdaem
okay...hahaha...i just googled 'darren hayes'...very funny...my how witty we all are...and that too was sarcasm
Well he was the only person I knew had played Vicar St in the past few days...not that I've anything against him or his music. Yeah for the record I meant to type "a few years ago" rather than "a few days". After that I just couldn't pass up the opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
Ever the optimist, eh!?
Bearing in mind his last release was the first occasion where he acknowledged Lisa as part of the creative process I don't think you're right...or at least I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Personally I think it's more likely that Lisa's looking to do some solo stuff with Tomo like they did in New York.

-- Simon Armitage
Old 05-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #46
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

The new drummer has a myspace here:
http://www.myspace.com/earlharvin

-- Simon Armitage
Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #47
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Wow...Earl Harvin does look realy cool actually...looks like he'd be quite experimental...could be an excellent addition...very exciting stuff...

"He began his musical endeavors studying orchestral percussion at age 9"

"He attended the highly acclaimed jazz department of the University of North Texas"

and he was on the frames 'dance the devil' album and went on tour with 'Air'
Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #48
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i think lisa deserves to go off and do her own thing.. i dont think it does her too much good being a singer with damien rice and she definately has the ability and fanbase to go on her own

dissapointed and confused with tomo not playing. It always seemed to me he prefered it when damien got a bit heavier with his music.. unless of course he cant make the gigs.. i know he has a kid so maybe he has taken time out to spend more time with him

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #49
Beevers_uk

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

I might be a little slow, but this probably means Lisa has her own songs!! considdering she has already done a solo gig with Tomo! And i have noticed Tomo's last name is being used, and not just being called "Tomo" Yeah, you have all probably noticed it lol!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #50
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

carl i dont think your quite over hearing his last name.. you may need therapy now

hehe

Old 05-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #51
Beevers_uk

haha i know!! Its such a shock!! Its always been Tomo this, Tomo that, and now its like Tom Orsomething!! Oh well lol

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 05-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #52
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

cant be as bad as listening to the radio in the car today and the announcer saying "and next up is damien fried rice with cannonball"

when the terrible drum remix started i actually turned it off and was kinda glad they called him that

Old 05-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #53
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
cant be as bad as listening to the radio in the car today and the announcer saying "and next up is damien fried rice with cannonball"

when the terrible drum remix started i actually turned it off and was kinda glad they called him that
Legend...nuf said
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #54
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
The new drummer has a myspace here:
http://www.myspace.com/earlharvin
He's working on his solo project. May well be that he and Joel are just touring partners. Joel has worked as a touring musician before starting his own band, I think. Just because they are touring together, it doesn't mean it's Damien's new (permanent) band.

I'm not uptight about the change in line-up. I've seen Damien three times and Lisa accompanied him on only one of those tours. Because of that I had no expectation she'd be there this time.

And I already knew Tom's name for quite some time.

I don't think we should fret too much. It's nice to know that Damien is on to something new, even if it's getting on the bus with some other musicians. I'm excited!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #55
buddy
Eskimo Regular

i'm thinking of flying to see one of the shows out of driving range for me. what show(s) is everyone going to?

buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #56
mickey13086

I'm going to the one at Jones Beach. And Buddy, Obama was on Conan O'brien last night, and both were pretty funny. Just thought you'd like to know.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #57
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i'll be at the minnesota show! i'm totally excited to hear something new and a change in line up always means new blood and fresh ideas.. plus i love when damien rocks out and tears the roof off the place so i'm expecting it to be awesome!

that said, honestly one of the first things that impressed me about damien was the strong feminine element in his music.. the first few times i heard his music it was with him performing with only vyv or he and lisa and vyv.. i liked the strong male presence with two equally impressive musical female presences bringing an unusual balance to the mix.. so i guess i will miss that..

but when i mentioned the new band line up to my daughter's boyfriend (he adores lisa) he looked disappointed but then said "well maybe it's like a band of gypsies..." meaning members come and go and follow solo projects when they want to and come in to collaborate again.. i like the band of gypsies idea

i would say it will be a mix of acoustic and electric rather than completely electric show.. tho even if it was i never understood why people got all bent out of shape when dylan went electric anyway..

Last edited by SisterMidnight; 05-14-2006 at 04:17 AM.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #58
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

damien rice + new guitarist - lisa hannigan + Fiona Apple= Me not going
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #59
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Nice to see you're keeping an open mind anyway

-- Simon Armitage
Old 05-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #60
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
i think lisa deserves to go off and do her own thing.. i dont think it does her too much good being a singer with damien rice and she definately has the ability and fanbase to go on her own
i agree 100%. sure i would love to see her up on stage with damien and the rest, but she has what it takes to brake out on her own i think it'd be nice to see her do more solo material, so hopefully the New York show was a sign of things to come for her and tomo, but it will be a very different album if she's not doing vocals on damien new album (if there is one)

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:50 PM
SisterMidnight
This message has been deleted by SisterMidnight.