Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-21-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
A2_Blue
Eskimo Friend

Default My First Damien Rice Concert Experience.

A couple of days ago, I went to my first Damien Rice concert since first hearing his music and becoming a fan back in mid 2006. Upon entering the State Theater in downtown Detroit, I had many thoughts and questions like, "What is Damien going to do in songs that usually feature Lisa?" Also, due to my previous concerts ive been to featuring more energetic bands like Incubus, Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay and such, I was wondering if I was truely going to be amazed, or if it was just going to be like watching a friend play through some tunes (not that that would haven't been incredible seeing as how i was only 3 rows back from Damien.)

Well, after all of these thoughts... my mind was quickly put to rest. The concert was ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHING!

Damien started soft with 9 Crimes Olderchests, but then went on to completely rock out Volcano. And the performance of I Remember... the best I could have imagined. I was so pleased with the set list. There wasn't one song that he missed that i wanted to hear (except maybe Sand or his version of Doves Cry/Babe Im Gunna Leave You (but hey, cant be picky after that performance))

Damien took time to explain the meanings of a few of his songs in his quaint "Im not sure how to explain it but im going to try" way he does: I was very supprised to find out that I remember came from a his "relationship" with a bagger at a local grocery store, which basically consisted of only glances and smiles... till she left. He described the song as "having the potential to be a happy song" but then after she stopped working there, the end got a little angry.

In the "end" (before the encore) He stepped out from behind his mic, turned off the amp, and played a completely acoustic version of Cannonball... No Microphone, No Electronics whatsoever... just him... and it was so touching i shed a tear. Eventually he was joined by an unplugged upright base and vivianne on cello.Then he left, and ofcorse, came out after about 8 min of cheering and yelling for an Encore.

Damien went on to explain the story behind Unplayed Piano. Then, did blowers daughter (which not suprisingly, he wasent thrilled to play, but hey, the fans love it lol (sorry damien))

Then, came the greatest concert expierience of my life...

A rodie came out dressed in a formal waiter's uniform with wine and a cigarette. The music from Cheer's Darlin came on, and we all cheered. The cigarette was lit, the wine was poured, and Damien went on to drink, smoke, stumble a bit with an elated, drunken look on his face and smile on his lips as he truely entertained us while singing along to the Cheers Darlin track.

So to put it bluntly...

DAMIEN ****IN ROCKED...NUFF SAID!
A2_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
tye51
Eskimo Friend

Excellent!!!! I can't wait to see him again on Friday!! (It will be my first show without Lisa but I know it will kick arse! haha)
Old 05-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Topspin047
tennis pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye51
Excellent!!!! I can't wait to see him again on Friday!! (It will be my first show without Lisa but I know it will kick arse! haha)
I'm going on friday as well--and thursday, it'll be my 3rd concert, I'm pretty excited, and I really hope I get to hear cheers darlin' at one of them because i haven't yet and it sounds exciting!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Nine
Inuit

I love it when he does the Cheers Darlin' lark - I was so glad he did it at Hammersmith!

x
Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Mort
Czech Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
I love it when he does the Cheers Darlin' lark - I was so glad he did it at Hammersmith!

x
I wonder if I ever get to see it. Sadly, I had not opportunity to see it the last time I went to his gig.

Anyway, nice review there, A2_Blue! Glad you had fun!

Berlin 15/3/07, Dresden 22/7/07, Prague 10/7/12.

last.fm
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
neil
Eskimo Friend

i can't wait to see my first one in Reading, UK on 10th July!!
neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #7
mucker
Eskimo Mucker

Gonna go see the Kiddo Friday night in DC. Thank you for the pumped up review!
mucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:33 AM   #8
mucker
Eskimo Mucker

Outside of the airheads holding up their cell phones, "too busy for a pic to listen", (luckily I had 4th row seats), the boyo was an amazing experience! 4 Buds onstage having a grand time. Nice bit of chatter from himself, as well.
I always knew he was a funny kiddo. Took a bit for the spark to come out, but it did.
The guy is most intense on piano, maybe because it's not facing the audience, he could go away into the songs.
Great band, good lighting effects, smokey machine and incense and candles....
I watched the whole show, the "Production". He came out alone and did a Chaplinesque "Cheers, Darlin" with the waiter and the streetlamp, at the end. He mocked himself, kinda, but at the same time, what lad doesn't sing that song at closing time...again and again? Oh, He's a good one, Mr Damo, a good lad, great singer/songwriter, and Celtic Dramatist....
I listened to Nick Drake's "5 Leaves Left" on the way to and from the show. I'm not amazed at the tenderness of the male heart, but I am glad people even know it's there, and been around for a long time.

Thank you, Kiddo, great show!