Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 06-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #31
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie R. View Post
You probably have issues trying to understand anything that disagree with your arrogant and insane opinion.I can understand people upset for him not giving out a new album,but to judge an artist from it is completely over the top. If you have doubts about his love for music and that he genuinely cares about people and the environment than I think you should consider forgetting about him. You are the only one here pointing out that he "doesn't have a pure love of music"...who are you to say that anyway?? who are you to judge him? go enjoy your summer concerts and leave the guy alone. You sound more like a frustrated person for me.
haha such negativity!! arrogant and insane and the only one??!! read the thread...............half of the responses have more or less supported what I am suggesting.....the other half continue to show their love of pink lenses - I think you have made it clear where you stand

and the last time I checked I am free to say anything I want to.........take it or leave it but I call it freedom...........and to your prior question I would be more than happy to share said opinion with him in person

I think you really need to have a glass of wine and chill...........
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #32
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
haha such negativity!! arrogant and insane and the only one??!! read the thread...............half of the responses have more or less supported what I am suggesting.....the other half continue to show their love of pink lenses - I think you have made it clear where you stand

and the last time I checked I am free to say anything I want to.........take it or leave it but I call it freedom...........and to your prior question I would be more than happy to share said opinion with him in person

I think you really need to have a glass of wine and chill...........
hahaha I'm very chill. I'm not here angry at an artist for him not giving out a new album...you are free to say whatever so Im and so is Damien rice for taking his time to do things. I would be very pleased to hear what he got to say about your opinion...I stand with freedom and respect all the way!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #33
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

you keep suggesting I am angry...............not sure where you are gleaning that emotion but I am simply stating my opinion of disspointment maybe but not anger

since you seem to think I am out on a limb I would encourage you to re-read Rai's post - I think he has framed it best

have a good weekend
Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #34
Samart
Nothing unusual...

Hey guys,

I understand both side of you. The bored of waiting, and the "well-disciplined-and-polite" waiting fans (yes excessively simplified speaking). And davidcotyalex is totaly free to write what he did.

But in "wonderland" someone who write :
Quote:
just tell us you are not really an artist damien and just a lazy dude
(etc...) ... if he is considered as "angry", should laugh and stay humble because he was surfing on the frontier with good / bad manners in forum discutions. You know, those "rules". Not big deal, but maybe you could wrote it a little "lighter", not being too harsh, even I don't thing you were harsh at all, but you may have been a little for some people, or maybe not.

And if Rai's did wrote things similar to you, he has a very sane and healthy way to write things.

Personally, I though since start that Damien was not a "general music artist", so I don't mind if he did not released official music for 5 years more.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #35
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
haha will do and very nice on the relocation!!! speaking of whingie singer songwriters I really think you sdhould check out david ford - he is unreal - and has a gig at koko in london in july - it is sold out but I am sure someone with your tenacity could find a way in the door!!

nice to connect after so long......the years do float by don't they?!
ah, they do fly by...when i was younger i never believed to the elder members of my family when they complained about time but now i see what they meant

thanks for the tip on David Ford. will check him out..i aint sure my tenacity would be enough to get in tbh...from outside u'd think once u work in the industry u get into gigs easily but actually it is not always the case..sure there are freebies, AAA passes, awards ceremonies but if it as an artist outside the circles ur in then it can be a toughie..but once im the boss of the label u'll watch this space!!!! ..i will do go to see Charlotte Gainsbourg and Laura Marling via work and i still have my Irish ties so cant really complain I must say:P

when will the tour kick off? do u have much to go?are u bringing the kiddos to any of the gigs too?(u do have kiddos, do i remember well?)

and David..why are u angry? and havent u learnt the rules of this board over the years?..here every superfan knows damien like their BFF so surely suggesting anything other than he is great is the result of u living in some lala land ....u cynical person, how dare u?;P
x
Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #36
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

hahaha!

as I said the origin of this post was how excited I am about the new cds and the tour...........lol!

and very funny on the board........and it did not dissapoint on this thread either! and yeah I have been round long enough to know how it plays around here........so so true to form I could have scripted the entire exchange........ah well don't worry all you purists will have my hands full the next couple months......and surely there won't be any real reason to float around these parts other than get the gander of certain individuals!

oh the tour kicks off mid August but we have a week hobnobbing at the new england shore in july! so summer is almost officially here!!

Very good memory - yes alex who is almost 12 - he has seen ray at radio city and david in dublin, houston and austin.......I think we will have him come to the Boston gig on the 17th which is the day they both release their cds........should be an awesome gig!!

get your arms around mr ford.............if you get sucked in I can certainly try for you at koko.......I have a few connections that I could call...........just let me know! It was actually the Real Kat from the cynical damien board who convinced me I should go see him.......and boy was she ever correct!!

speak soon!

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 06-18-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #37
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Smile

Quote:
I completely agree Rachlanee about forcing the art.........in thinking it through and engaging with others on Ray's board I do think Gossip was forced......the result of RCA pushing Ray toward more "commercial" success and Ray saw right through that I think in hindsight........why I am so looking forward to this hopeful new release

Of course on the surface it looks all great and what a guy he is etc etc for these little projects.........but call it the cynic in me as it gleans of hollow hollywood humanitiarian efforts - is this a cameo or does he really care about these people and is following up etc? While I really don't know my hunch is on the former........

And Amie I am sorry but I cannot understand half of what you say.......and I don't think it is English as a first language issue just more in reference to the rambling style..........but I do know that you are the only one on here getting all in a tizzy and swearing as such.......yeah probably a twinge of anger from a selfish perspective of not getting more from Damien but the original intent of the post was to simply point out this guy really doesn't have a pure love of music............and again one man's opinion

And thanks on the good wishes at the gigs......I cannot believe what a dream come true this tour will be....both my wife and just adore david and ray and have traveled wide to see them both.....on the same stage the same night??!! Wow.
I understand what you mean about being cynical towards celebrities doing charity for their own benefit. However, I don't see Damien as having or wanting anything to do with Hollywood (I don't consider working on a soundtrack being part Hollywood, especially a documentary!) There are many musicians that put themselves out there, and are like 'Look at me! Look at what I am doing for this world! I am SOOO great!' But how much press did Damien actually get for the gig in Colombia, or the Whelan's charity event? I had become a huge fan some guy whose 'I'm Yours' was played to death by every radio station everywhere, but I have started to see through everything that guy says, especially after he collected his trophies at the grammies. Maybe you are right and maybe I should take off my rose colored glasses, but Damien doesn't seem transparent to me. I have always tried to see the good in people. It's so annoying and naive, I know!
rachlanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #38
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

haha no don't take off the glasses.........I understand life is more pleasant with that approach!! as I see you are new to the board the comment was actually in reference to the never ending oozing of intoxication with Damien round here....... and typically if anyone attempts to veer off said path there tends to be a pile on...........that never ending approach for some of us is what is truyly annoying and naive!

I love to see the good in people and god knows we need a lot more beauty and goodness in this world with all the crap that is going on..........I just one call a spade a spade (as I see it) and two cannot but let a cynical view on things carry some weight.........the way I see it with our beloved Damien is I think he actually believes he is doing good that he doesn't seek hollywood type exposure because he considers himself "hippie" etc......that said his behavior both historically and over the past couple years to me appears quite selfish......couple that with an apparent lack of confidence .........such that - in my humble opinion and as I stated before - I actually think some of these stunts are for his own self glorification.......not seeking hollywood exposure but instead his own version........who wouldn't like a whole bunch of folks running after you as you plant a tree or carry a bucket of water?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #39
Cerque
Resident Irishman

I am not judging him, I still have massive amounts of respect for him. I still think he will pull through and if that takes years, I don't care. Whatever suits him at the end of the day. I didn't really mean what I said when I said " given up on Damien.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #40
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerque View Post
I am not judging him, I still have massive amounts of respect for him. I still think he will pull through and if that takes years, I don't care. Whatever suits him at the end of the day. I didn't really mean what I said when I said " given up on Damien.
all good and lets leave it at that.........and most definitely do I wish him well.........there is immense gratitude inside this household for all the joy he has provided us........and here's to hoping that all of us can find that again someday in the future
Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #41
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
haha no don't take off the glasses.........I understand life is more pleasant with that approach!! as I see you are new to the board the comment was actually in reference to the never ending oozing of intoxication with Damien round here....... and typically if anyone attempts to veer off said path there tends to be a pile on...........that never ending approach for some of us is what is truyly annoying and naive!

I love to see the good in people and god knows we need a lot more beauty and goodness in this world with all the crap that is going on..........I just one call a spade a spade (as I see it) and two cannot but let a cynical view on things carry some weight.........the way I see it with our beloved Damien is I think he actually believes he is doing good that he doesn't seek hollywood type exposure because he considers himself "hippie" etc......that said his behavior both historically and over the past couple years to me appears quite selfish......couple that with an apparent lack of confidence .........such that - in my humble opinion and as I stated before - I actually think some of these stunts are for his own self glorification.......not seeking hollywood exposure but instead his own version........who wouldn't like a whole bunch of folks running after you as you plant a tree or carry a bucket of water?
That made a lot more sense than your original post for this thread. Yes, I am new here. I haven't listened to music for over 10 yrs except for all of the vintage vinyl albums I have confiscated from older family members. Most of the albums I have were made before I was born in '77. I stumbled across Once on netflix, and started watching Glen Hansard on youtube and stumbled across Damien's music just a few months ago. How the hell had I never heard of him, I don't know, other than that I don't have cable, watch netflix, and only listen to Georgia State's radio station or NPR. I live under a rock. LOL. A lot of his songs are painfully honest for me, I feel like I have gone through the same relationships, obsessions, selfishness, insecurities, depression. He's only human, no one can say what his intentions are, or what he feels, even if they know him, because they aren't him. That's what annoys me about fans of anyone, when they idolize someone so much that they get so defensive about any objectivity as if the one the idolize can do no wrong. I can't imagine what it must be like having 1000's of screaming fans in your face and the media on your ass about your private life. Some deal with it better than others! Sorry if my reply is scatterbrained, it was a long week in a 90 degree warehouse, so I need to slow down on the beer. I must go paint now, so maybe I can escape from it all one day! Peace!
rachlanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 AM   #42
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i like what you have written. especially this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachlanee View Post
THe's only human, no one can say what his intentions are, or what he feels, even if they know him, because they aren't him.
i hope you get and enjoy your beer. i would love to do the same, but i have a lot work to do yet. cheers anyway

ps: oh... and very welcome
Old 06-19-2010, 03:01 AM   #43
rice puddin
the old eskimo hunter

Mr davidcotyalex,
It's good to see you back!Nobody can stir the emotions around here like you can and believe me the 'gloo needed a little excitement.I still check in hoping for a little Damo music news like everyone else once in awhile. so.....thanks for heating things up!
p.s. i love til the sun turns black cheers rp
rice puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #44
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

haha thanks rp and my pleasure!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #45
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
possibly if you really think there is an album............

all I know is he has produced one album he is behind and that was ten years ago..........ray and david are still at it and it is obvious it is due to their true love of music....sorry marti but the way I see it damien much more enjoys cavorting around the world thinking he is hip and playing randomn gigs when he wants more attention
Lol. That's ridiculous - why should he have to bring out another album just because you want one? I'm laughing.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #46
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

yeah that was my point.............

I too am laughing..........what is interesting to me is the way people read threads
Old 06-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #47
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

so what are you doing here if you find him so repulsive? I waited 10 years for a Sade album, but never occurred to me to go to a Sade forum and start a thread about if Sade was living la vida loca or something... I really don't understand you, we're all allowed to be frustrated and critic, but there's no need to insult, if I'd ever reached that point, I'd just go, why bother, I'd give up and go

Imo an artist cannot be judged by how often he releases albums... it takes 10 years for Sade, Laura Marling is making 2 albums this year... some people can make the best album in history in 6 months, some people can come back after 5 years with the worst album in history...
Old 06-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #48
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

Huh. I don't know if I'd say that just because Damien doesn't have a new album and isn't touring that he doesn't truly love music. Maybe he is just having a bit of writer's block, or doesn't feel that anything he's written lately warrants an album. Or is a point in his life when he just wants to write music for himself or for art's sake and doesn't want to know what the world thinks of it. I have a friend who loves writing, but has never and probably will never submit her work to be published. She's just writing for herself, she told me. For the sake of art. She said that if she were to submit her work, then she would feel the need to change some of her words or style or censor herself. I don't know. I hope he does produce another album some day, but if he doesn't then that's fine too.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #49
cille
creepycute

Quote:

so where does this leave our dear old damien???? I am tired of waiting...........just tell us you are not really an artist damien and just a lazy dude who doesn't care about band members or frankly much else than getting laid and hanging out smoking herb...........something I can respect althoug I have managed to make a career along the way which apparently you don't care about!
Jeesh, I get that you're impatient, but why be so condescendent?
Why should Damien care about your career? This career thinking is making me sick to be honest.
Enjoy your summer, enjoy the music that is there and the music to come, live and let live!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #50
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Finally some people with some sense and respect around here...As you see mr. right,not everyone in this forum agrees with you. Glad the a.s.s liking has stopped...and as you said you can see where I stand,Damien's side. I'm his bitch,not yours.

BTW Cille,are you coming to Norway in july to se Damien? you can stay at my place in Oslo if you need before heading to Ålesund ;-)

Last edited by Amie R.; 06-20-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Amie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #51
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

classic igloo................it isn't like I called him an arse or the like...........I said he is a lazy stoner - which I think he is

bayjasus folks get a little tough skin........marti it isn't all ivory tower out there although I am sure that is tough for an academician to swallow.........and cille take a tums - the comment was tongue in cheek about how somehow I have managed to make a life for myself along the way of 25 years of enjoying the herb....that is it - although thanks for the well wishes at the shows

I guess rice puddin put it correctly that my prose has a way of getting under the skin.........the main point I have been trying to make is that - while obviously he is a gifted and unreal artist - I am questioning whether he is a musician........or a humanitarian at that.......focus on the matter at hand folks

And Amie you really need to work on your issues.........and swearing as if you were down at the docks........as I said before you really need to chill. Seriously.

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 06-21-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 AM
rachlanee
This message has been deleted by rachlanee.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #52
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
classic igloo................it isn't like I called him an arse or the like...........I said he is a lazy stoner - which I think he is

bayjasus folks get a little tough skin........marti it isn't all ivory tower out there although I am sure that is tough for an academician to swallow.........and cille take a tums - the comment was tongue in cheek about how somehow I have managed to make a life for myself along the way of 25 years of enjoying the herb....that is it - although thanks for the well wishes at the shows

I guess rice puddin put it correctly that my prose has a way of getting under the skin.........the main point I have been trying to make is that - while obviously he is a gifted and unreal artist - I am questioning whether he is a musician........or a humanitarian at that.......focus on the matter at hand folks

And Amie you really need to work on your issues.........and swearing as if you were down at the docks........as I said before you really need to chill. Seriously.
It's very clear here who's the one with serious issues. I know your kind. Read what you wrote " I know...he is...I'm sure... He thinks.." you know exactly what Damien is or think he is and what is going on in his head. For me it's all about yourself. Poor you. Troubled childhood?? He doesn't have to choose between being a musician or something else. He can be what he wants and smoke as much as he wants still you can't be anything like him and that's your frustation. I'm very chill, having a great week down on the docks.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #53
cille
creepycute

Quote:

You were being judgemental about something you - or anybody else in here for that matter - don't know about. And that's what I reacted upon. Weed out the judgements from your mind, and life will award you! (I think - but I may be proven wrong, who knows.. )
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #54
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

haha will try but no guarantees!

whatever - now I had a troubled childhood? talk about condescending attitudes??!! As I said it is very clear who has way serious issues around here.........and yes you do need to seriously chill.......wow
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #55
cille
creepycute

I never said anything about your childhood???
Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #56
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

no silly that was Amie.......I am cool with you Cille always have been...and to the best of my knowledge you don't have any serious issues lol!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #57
cille
creepycute

^Oh, I do...