Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
Blown away for ever
Eskimo Baby

Default Brisbane show 25/02/07

Hi All

Havent seen a review on the Brisbane show on Sunday night so I thought would give you all my thoughts

It was awsome...the only word to describe it. This is the first time I have seen the band perform live and to say it was an uplifting experience is an understatement to say the least. Nothing could have made me miss this show....not the $380 I had to pay a scalper on EBay for 2 tickets, the fact that the venues aircon system was badly overloaded to the point where the stifling conditions resulted in a steady flow of fainted patrons being carried outside by others....nothing

I must admit I was a bit nervous to start due to the fact that this was the last show of the Australian show and the venue was filled with a large number of drunken Irish (& Australian) fans who spent most of Fionn Regans show either talking loudly or completely ignoring him. Given that Damien has been known to get pissed off at ungrateful patrons and the fact that this was the last night of an extremely quick but arduous tour in the middle of summer, I waited with some intrepidation for him to come on stage.

At 9.15 the band arrived on stage and got straight down to business. Sorry to dissapoint but I cant remember the order of the set mainly due to the fact that I was entranced the entire time. From memory the only songs that he DIDNT play were Older Chests, I Remember, Grey Room & Sleep Dont Weep. If I am wrong on this then feel free to correct me. There was no audience chat from Damien till half way throught the set at which point Damien voiced a slight irritation at the number of people recording the show on mobile phones. I held my breath knowing that he has walked off stage before but I neednt have worried. The whole band seemed very relaxed and actually polished off a couple of bottles of wine during the last few songs

We got the now seemingly obligatory song 3/4 of the way through from Vivienne which was a laugh as she had only been given it by a friend in the audience and had not practise it.....very well received by the crowd. In all we got a 2 1/2 hour show with encore due to the fact that according to Damien they were relaxing and enjoying the last night so much that they lost track of the time. In a light moment at the end Damien came on for the encore and announced that he did have 3 songs ready for it but due to the fact that they had already gone over time he would only have time for one song. He then gave the audience the choice and judged which one by how many screams he got! Well of course Blowers Daughter won hands down so that was the closing song.

There were so many mesmerising moments its hard to pick a highlight but I spent the entire evening with tears of joy running down my cheeks of goose bumps on the back of my neck. I see a lot of live music and I cant remember a show that has had the same effect on me as Damien and the band did. If I had to pick a highlight it would have to be Cold Water performed in the complete darkness with Lisa's haunting vocals just floating over the audience....unbelieveable. Holding my wife very close it was one of the most romantic few minutes we have had for a long time!

So there you go. I would be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else who was at the gig. Before I sign off one last thing...Damien did mention that they may be back in Aus before the end of the year.....we can only pray!

Cheers
Andrew
Blown away for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
Devilock
Eskimo Droog

They did play I Remember and Grey Room. But yes, I thought the gig was amazing.
There were a few annoying drunk people talking through the gig but thank god it was just a minority.
Devilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #3
empty.thoughts
Lost Eskimo

I WAS AT THAT SHOW.

My god. It was f*cking brilliant.
A friend and I arrived at 12 pm to get there early so we could get a good view and there was no worries there. So, we waited a long, but well worth the wait 7 and a half hours til the doors opened. I must say, before we even got in, I was fairly exhausted.. but I hardly noticed since I was so excited.
I've been a die-hard fan of Damien and the band since 2005 so it was my first time seeing him.
Anyway, my friend and I got right up the front, in between Damien and Lisa. We couldn't have wanted a better position.
And I too, was memorised through the whole performance. I thought 'Rootless Tree', 'Eskimo Friend', 'The Rat Within The Grain' and 'Woman Like a Man' were particularly brilliant.

'Cold Water' has got to be one of my favourite songs ever and I completely shattered when the piano began. I think I died a little inside. It was perfect. I couldn't have imagined anything more.

He also played his new song and I fell in love with it too. It was beautiful. I'd love to hear it again. Every song bar 'Older Chests' from 'O' was played.. but let's face it, it's the best album that has ever existed.

Two and a half hours of pure bliss.
Best night ever?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
empty.thoughts
Lost Eskimo

Red face

AND... 'Cheers Darlin''.

How could I forget?

I love how Lisa clinked her bracelet on the wine bottle. She probably does it a lot, but I couldn't stop watching her randomly clink, every now and again.
She's magical to watch.

Ok. The end.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Devilock
Eskimo Droog

I thought Cheers Darlin' was brilliant, with Fionn Regan on piano as well. But then again, the whole night was brilliant.
Devilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
empty.thoughts
Lost Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilock
I thought Cheers Darlin' was brilliant, with Fionn Regan on piano as well. But then again, the whole night was brilliant.
I loved how Fionn had no idea what he was doing and eventually, just got up and left.
Hah. He looked great. A cuteh little leprechaun.. No?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
Blown away for ever
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty.thoughts
I loved how Fionn had no idea what he was doing and eventually, just got up and left.
Hah. He looked great. A cuteh little leprechaun.. No?
Hey thanks for correcting me! I told you I was mesmerised I'd forgotten some of the songs! Yes empty thoughts it is probably the most amazing performance I have seen......Im glad you thought so too!

Hey there hasnt been a review in the Courier Mail!...can you believe that!

Lets hope they come back before years end! Hey I loved Lisa's clinking the wine bottle....funny thing is it sounded quite musical. She has the most amazing voice....I hope she does eventually do some solo stuff and release it commercially.

Oh well off to St Jeromes tomorrow....what a pity the guys arent playing there
Blown away for ever is offline   Reply With Quote