Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #1
AL-X
Eskimo Baby

Default If there's one thing that bugs me...

Hey guys, i just picked up "9" and the album is amazing! But if there's one thing that really bugs me it's this: i went to the local record store, payed 18 dollars for the CD, opened it up and all I get for my money is a cardboard flap with a couple drawings on it plus the CD (Come on Damo, where's the extras!). Now, it's not just '9', obviously, but it got me thinking... shouldn't the artists put some more effort into making the CD worth the purchase? For the fans at least, put some extra pictures, a sticker anything, just help us justify paying our hard-earned dollars for your CD! You hear artists and record execs bitching all the time about bootleg CDs and internet downloading, yet, they don't do anything to motivate people into buying the actual CDs. I know ppl. are gonna say that it shouldn't matter about the case, it should just be about the music, which I totally agree is true, but in an age where you can go on the internet and download an album for free or you can pay 15+ dollars for a piece of cardboard and a cd, what's to entice Joe Schmo into purchasing the actual album, especially if he thinks the album is good but may not be the biggest fan of the artist? Just my two cents...
AL-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
coldwaterisrain
Eskimo Baby

RIGHT ON DUDE/DUDETTE! I thought almost the same thing. I dunno i was kinda disappointed all the way around with this one. I mean i wanted to see if damo would throw out a hey 'thanks to all my fans for supporting me' type of thing and its just letters on cardboard. I guess the record execs really pissed him off or something cause, man, i dunno...i mean he coulda thrown in some tour pictures or something...
coldwaterisrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Thumbs down What a disgrace.

Wow, you guys are total losers. First and foremost, I'm quite positive that Damien's not trying to entice the regular "joe schmo" into buying his cd. This luxury is only intended for true fans. How can you get off on saying how a person is more likely to download an album for free if they know that the cd doesn't provide any other incentives? As if the fans don't care whether or not Damien is given proper credit for his amazing work. If this is in fact your argument, and I'm sure it is, then explain all of those who purchase cd's via iTunes? You don't hear them complaining about not receiving a cd package with all the perks. If these millions of individuals are happy with digital mp3's, then what makes you two so important?

I understand where you're coming from and it's obvious that you're unfamiliar with Damien's method. He's stated many a time in previous interviews how he likes to keep as much of the attention off of him while concentrating on the important elements of his art. Damo even told the guy from KCRW in his most recent radio appearance how he didn't even want to talk about the new album in the first place. Stop being so selfish and try to actually enjoy the music without coming off as prissy little punks.

P.S.- Just for the record, the last few albums from Nine Inch Nails have incorporated the same cd packaging that Damien used for "O" and "9" and I have never once heard a NIN fan complain about being ripped off or anything stupid like that. And since I'm a huge NIN fan, I know exactly why. Peace.

Last edited by Valentino; 11-15-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #4
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

i have a few thoughts:

It may be that Damien and the band aren't giving us a simple CD package because they are saving time and money designing/printing it. I think they probably wanted to keep it simple for art's sake. Damien's albums have short titles, they have a relatively few number of tracks, and the music (especially on O) is usually stripped down.

I also quite like the idea of not putting band pictures in an album. It keeps the art about the art, and not about what the band members look like.

I am not trying to disagree though. I woudn't mind having more of damien's drawings and paintings, and lyrics scribbled in the liner notes. I'm not going to lie. I enjoy buying an album and then finding a thick booklet of art, etc. or maybe a bonus dvd.

the one point i would disagree on is making the album package bigger to motivate people to buy it, instead of illegally downloading it. There are people who will illegally download the album, and then there are fans who know that this cd is worth the money. If there was an act that i would consider "selling out", it would be Damien putting more gimmicks into the cd just to sell more copies... compromising his artistic idea of what this album should be.

anyway, that's just my $.02. I'm not necessarily right.

Last edited by bryce5.23.88; 11-15-2006 at 05:58 PM.
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #5
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce5.23.88
There are turd-burglers who will download the album
I think you're missing the important word "illegally" from that sentence, bryce. And also missing your acceptance of homosexuality...

Anyhoo, I like the 9 packaging. It's nice and simple, which reflects the honesty of Damien's music. The drawings are great, full of a unique style and character, and the hand-writing just makes it all feel really intimate and low-key.

I wouldn't know what to do with a free sticker if I had one.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
liamtclark
Eskimo Friend

There is a bonus on the UK version of the album I was told about in the student union last night.... If you rewind 9 Crimes before the song starts, you get a short demo of Damo playing it on guitar.... not sure if it works yet cos just remembered, and cant bring myself to roll out of bed to check, but it is from a good source, so check it out.......
Old 11-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
Niko
Eskimo Regular

It's true, and it's on all versions of the album. You just need to be lucky enough to have access to a CD player that rewinds past the beginning of track one, as not all of them do.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
liamtclark
Eskimo Friend

Sweet! Cheers for that Niko, will defo have to check that out later. Just been readin through some older threads and found a link to a program that can extract it for use on my laptop, so will check that out before hunting for a CD player...
Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

in comments to the first post, for the UK anyways, you can't give away stuff with your album, stickers, badges etc. It'd make it ineligible for charts there. Happened with Beck's recent one, didn't/ couldn't chart since it gave away stickers to stick on the cover.

It would have been nice if he had produced a limited, even very 1000 only limited edition of 9, but alas thats all we got.
Unless he re-relaeses it
he has a habit
Old 11-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #10
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-X
shouldn't the artists put some more effort into making the CD worth the purchase?
They spent 5 years getting the album together... and the 'cardboard' contains numerous works of art painstakingly drawn by the band themselves (assuming Fred and Daisy does stand for Damien and Lisa)... It might not be the cloth-bound cover of 'O', but you can't say there was no effort.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
Wow, you guys are total losers.
WOW, that remark was uncalled for! Keep it friendly, dude!

Personally I only miss just a wee booklet of lyrics, and maybe some more artwork. I don't need band pics or freebees, just the lyrics. Oh, and GRR!! I'd like a cover that doesn't break the first freakin time you try to get the disc out!! #%&¤!!!

I still think a jewel case + booklet serves the purpose nicely. Although I really miss the Vinyl LP format most of all.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
Hot Burrito
Eskimo Baby

i thought the whole thing with the cardboard cover was because it was made of recycled paper, what with Damo bein environmentally aware an all.
Hot Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
cille
creepycute

Probably. I just wish they'd make a cover that is more durable.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

i personally wish we got a llama with it...i mean come on damien, you can afford to give all of ur fans llamas..its the very least you can do.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
Bumpman

Honest to god, five years complaining about only having one album, another comes along and you guys are worried about not having enough pictures to look at? Lets just be glad for what is there rather then what isn't.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
simog
Born an Eskimo

I was a little shocked when I opened my CD - I was expecting that after 5 years of waiting the whole band would jump out of the packaging and singing the songs to me live. And afterwards Lisa would roll me a ciggy and then Damo would open a bottle of red wine...

... honestly, have they put no effort into the CD cover this time ;-)
simog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #17
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

the last sigur ros record had 2 different albums to choose from.
one was 4 euro more expensive just for the artwork inside.. i foolishly paid the 4 euro and its nice and all but i couldnt really give a toss as long as i hear the record.. its buried somewhere deep in my cd collection now all i really listen to is my ipod

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #18
gbs3769
Eskimo Regular

I'm not buying a CD for the artwork on the album or anything other than the music. That is why I buy my music from iTunes because it is cheaper.

- Matt
Old 11-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

i still want my llama
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #20
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink
i personally wish we got a llama with it...i mean come on damien, you can afford to give all of ur fans llamas..its the very least you can do.
I agree with you entirely.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #21
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

look to go with the llama theme damien, you could have had this as a hidden bonus track http://www.freeonlinegames.com/play/1068.html

COME ON WERE'S OUR LLAMA????

join me in this protest
Old 11-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #22
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Llama Llama Llama Llama Llama....
Old 11-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #23
cille
creepycute

Yeah Llamas please! I wanna knit myself a llama wool patchwork merch shirt

Llama llama ding dong

hare hare llama llama
llama llama hare hare
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs3769
I'm not buying a CD for the artwork on the album or anything other than the music. That is why I buy my music from iTunes because it is cheaper.

- Matt
It's cheaper, but you also get a lesser product of 128 kbps.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #24
Hot Burrito
Eskimo Baby

what about an album cover made out of llama's wool? then if you got the album on vinyl you could wear the cover as a hat...........
Old 11-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #25
Hot Burrito
Eskimo Baby

or you could wear the cd cover if you had a wee small head....
Old 11-15-2006, 04:51 PM   #26
cille
creepycute

ooh i like where this is going..
Old 11-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #27
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
First and foremost, I'm quite positive that Damien's not trying to entice the regular "joe schmo" into buying his cd. This luxury is only intended for true fans.
say what now?? if there's one thing i really hate, it's all this 'true fans' bulls.hit...i'd like to know what exactly it is that determines whether someone is a true fan or not......that whole attitude bugs the crap out of me

just my opinion, nothing against you or anything cos a lot of people do it, but man the music is there for people to listen to, whoever the hell you are and whatever kind of music you like best

as for the cd i did kind of think 'is that it!?' for approximately half a second, then i realised i had in my hand what we'll all been waiting for so long and put the damn cd in the player...end of

oh and by the way i would prefer an alpaca with mine if that's ok?!?!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #28
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

no. sorry. only llamas. only true fans want AND GET llamas...clearly ur not one of them.

LLAMA LLAMA LLAMA.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #29
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

oh is that what it is?!?! i didn't realise, well then i'm not a true fan of damien...but i am a true alpaca fan so ner ner ner ner ner...so soft and cuddly, i want one hundred of them scalped for a coat!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #30
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

ur going to hell....i'll skin you for a vienna coat.... get on msn