Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
chelseafc008
Eskimo Baby

Default the Tibettan singing bowl

Could someone please explain to me what the Tibettan singing bowl exactly is? I patiently waited for a hidden track but had to sit through 15 minutes of an irritating high pitch drone. What exactly is the point of it?
chelseafc008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

It's supposed to be soothing I guess.. ^^ It's an instrument.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_singing_bowl Perhaps this will help you
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
Greenmeanie
green and mean

It's used to purify a space of negative or generally unwanted energies. The continuous tone works much like burning white sage/smudge sticks. I have one, though it's tiny and too high pitched for my liking.
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

It helps me sleep. If i listen to that album when i got to bed I almost always fall asleep before the end of the last track.
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
chelseafc008
Eskimo Baby

Okay, Thankyou. I might give it another listen now. Since the poll for "your favourite Damien song from 9" listed "sleep don't weep" as "sleep dont weep (and the tibetten singing bowl)" i thought maybe that was the name of a hidden song, I thought that maybe my CD was broken and didnt have the hidden song.

Has anyone heard of the NASA Voyage Recordings - "Symphonies of the Planets"? If you like The soothing end to "9" i would recommend checking them out. There are 5 volumes, each of which is about 30 minutes long. The are basically recordings of the sound of planets in space. Don't be all techincal with me, since i personally don't know how sound travels in space. Try looking on Amazon or something similar for more info. They are pretty expensive so if you like the sound of them, i could upload them and post a .rar file (or 5 .mp3's if you want) for people. ONLY If you like the end of "sleep dont weep" though because i assure you that ALL they are is a really calming droning noise, so i wouldn't recommend taking up 200 MB of your computer if you dont want them.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
Riven
These Living Arms

I remember in school one year a girl did a presentation on meditation. She used a Tibettan singing bowl as part of her presentation.

First, she made us all close our eyes and sit silently for about a minute. We had to hold up our hands, and every time a thought came into our mind we had to hold up a finger. The idea was to think as little as possible. Of course, this was very difficult because we were kids and we had lots of thoughts racing through our minds (what’s for lunch? did I do my homework? Who’s going out with who?, etc…) Anyway, we weren’t very successful.

However, then she showed us this bowl. She took the mallet and ran it slowly along the rim…it made a very beautiful sound. She asked us to close our eyes again and hold up our hand. She said to listen to the sound and as soon as we couldn’t hear it to lower our hand. She “played” the bowl for a couple seconds, and then just let the sound continue. Strangely, it took quite a long time for the sound to actually die away.

She then asked us how many different things we thought of after the second time. We were all quite shocked to realize that we hadn’t thought of anything! All of our minds were concentrating so hard on trying to hear this high-pitched sound that we didn’t think of anything else! She went on to explain that that is why singing bowls are used for meditation – so you can concentrate your mind on something and not be distracted by other thoughts. The demonstration was a very effective way of showing us how singing bowls work.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
PEIeskimo
Andy Staples

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseafc008
Okay, Thankyou. I might give it another listen now. Since the poll for "your favourite Damien song from 9" listed "sleep don't weep" as "sleep dont weep (and the tibetten singing bowl)" i thought maybe that was the name of a hidden song, I thought that maybe my CD was broken and didnt have the hidden song.

Has anyone heard of the NASA Voyage Recordings - "Symphonies of the Planets"? If you like The soothing end to "9" i would recommend checking them out. There are 5 volumes, each of which is about 30 minutes long. The are basically recordings of the sound of planets in space. Don't be all techincal with me, since i personally don't know how sound travels in space. Try looking on Amazon or something similar for more info. They are pretty expensive so if you like the sound of them, i could upload them and post a .rar file (or 5 .mp3's if you want) for people. ONLY If you like the end of "sleep dont weep" though because i assure you that ALL they are is a really calming droning noise, so i wouldn't recommend taking up 200 MB of your computer if you dont want them.
wow this sounds so cool! I for one would be truly grateful if you put this up for grabs!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:32 AM   #8
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

that does sound cool.. good for falling alseep to i bet

the first time i listened to the album i immediately went into a lotus position to meditate when the tibetan singing bowl started.. it just seemed like the natural thing to do..

i was very happy and mellow afterwards
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
chelseafc008
Eskimo Baby

Here are The NASA Voyage Recordings - Symphonies of the Planets, Volumes 1-5:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bejnyc

It is 200MB and it is in .rar format.

They are actually not quite as cool as i thought they would be but it is still cool how it is just a recording of space. Even though, they all sound the same, I think volume 5 is the best.

Last edited by chelseafc008; 11-17-2006 at 09:23 AM.