Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-18-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
NeelanPavan
Eskimo Baby

Cut and paste from the hmv website about the new 7"....

This limited edition 7” rounds off Damien Rice’s phenomenal year to perfect effect. Although not previously available on his album ‘O’, the two tracks featured here will appear on a repackaged version later in the year.

Blimey
NeelanPavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

those two tracks would be 'Lonelily' and 'Moody Mooday'. maybe the repackaged version will coincide with a new album release perhaps

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

I presume then that Lonelily and Moody Mooday will not be on the 2nd album.

Hmmmm. I'm still guessing as to which songs will feature.
~Aoife~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I adore the lowkey yet aching"Lonelily" but I think "Moody" is the worst thing Damo's released. Why don't they putsomething elseon there ("Grey Room" perhaps)? I don't know if anyone else dislikes that one either so sorry if I'm on my own here...
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Mooday is on there because it was already mastered for an EP. Makes it really easy to release again.

The new album, according to all indications will be:

Rootless Tree
WLAM
Tongue
The Professor

Then, there are a slew of other songs, I don't know which ones will make it, or if they've written more music that they aren't playing live:

Grey Room
Lonely Soldier
Face
Sex Change
Fool
etc, etc...
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

If memory serves the released b-side versions of the professor and WLAM are live takes. I'd assume that they'll rerecord them????
Old 04-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #7
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

Do you think he'd put on Tongue and Face? I'm not sure. He might want to move away from the Juniper songs. I love his version of them though.
He's got a lot of choice anyway! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, certainly would be re-recorded, the songs are somewhat different now.

They were in the studio in January recording tracks, but I can't find out if they are done recording or will be going back in again.

The frequency with which he's been playing Tongue makes me believe its gonna be on the album. Most of O were Juniper songs, WLAM is Juniper, Professor is Juniper, he still performs a hell of a lot of those songs, I don't think he's moving away quite yet.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #9
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
They were in the studio in January recording tracks, but I can't find out if they are done recording or will be going back in again.
I think they only spent 2 days or so in Abbey Road. The impression that I got from Lisa when I spoke to her 2 months ago was that there was a lot of work to be done and I'd imagine that they haven't gotten much done since then seeing as they have been touring so much.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:26 PM   #10
joe_folds_five
Eskimo Friend

how does anyone know whats going to be on new album? if there is even going to be one?

I personally hope that it will be all totally new songs. He needs some new material, he's been gigging on the same stuff for 3 years now.

joe_folds_five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #11
LemonFreshSmurf
Eskimo Baby

I saw a new version in Virgin the other day, it had a DVDsecond diskwith it which featured live video versions of Volcano, Blowers Daughter and another song which Ive forgot [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

when is the new album scheduled for?

i cant wait!!Edited by: LemonFreshSmurf

www.teessite.com
LemonFreshSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:45 PM   #12
Lemonhead
Eskimo Regular

oh yeah, i got that... it's class! the other song is cannonball and it's got an amazing little animation damien did about shooting stars![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

let's hope the new one's coming soon, can't wait either!!![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2004, 11:14 PM   #13
Eskimo Baby

[quote=Spamlet]but I think "Moody" is the worst thing Damo's released.QUOTE]

what? admittedly even damien rice fans have different tastes but I personally loved 'moody'. i really enjoy the edgier stuff and i think itd be cool if they had some of that on the album.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:53 AM   #14
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

WLAM? am i missing something? whats WLAM?
neil_eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:13 AM   #15
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

Woman like a man, like a man, like a woman like a man, like a man, Woman like a man, woman like a man, like a woman like a man, woman like a man Woman like a man, like a man, like a woman like a man, woman like a man Woman like a man, like a man, like a woman like a man, like a man

It really wasn't worth the ride.

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:02 AM   #16
reedts
Eskimo Baby

What about Insane? Is that a Juniper song or is there a possibly that it will end up on the new album? I really like this song, it's very lyrically intense and dark.
reedts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:05 AM   #17
Mario
Eskimo Regular

I believe Insane is Juniper, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether it will be on the new album.

Damien is a new artist. He's got atleast 30 songs in his catalog. He's not gonna write an album of new material until he exhausts those songs first. There will be new songs, and old songs will be reworked (See: WLAM) but there won't be 12 new songs on the next album.

In the Fall, Damien said many times they were going in the studio in January. For the last two years he's been talking about making another album. From what I understand, he actually recorded a ton of material for "O", then released only the quiet songs with the intention of releasing all the rock songs from those sessions as his second album. That idea has been scrapped in favor of re-recording those tracks, but all signs indicate the second album will still be all the rock songs.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:17 PM   #18
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
I think "Moody" is the worst thing Damo's released.
Je suis trés d'accord with that!!
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:24 PM   #19
touchingfreedom
Eskimo Friend

Does anyone else want Damiento release an entirely new record? I don't really want an album just full of studio takes of stuff he's been doing live...

He's quite a prolific songwriter as well so we can't really make the assumption that he's not gonna write a lot of new songs too...I just have a feeling the new album is gonna be "new". Why would he put WLAM on another cd?

Does anyone have any concrete information on the album?
touchingfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:32 PM   #20
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

I beleive Ian and Marios information is accurate, but unless damien pops on and lets us know, i dont think there is really any "concrete" info on the 2nd album, just speculations and educated/informed guesses..... there is always a chance i dont know what im talking about too! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2004, 06:40 PM   #21
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
Quote:
I think they only spent 2 days or so in Abbey Road. The impression that I got from Lisa when I spoke to her 2 months ago was that there was a lot of work to be done and I'd imagine that they haven't gotten much done since then seeing as they have been touring so much.

I think Ian's right. I asked Damien if Rootless Tree will be on the next record, and he said "could be." He said it depended on whether it comes out right...if so, then it should be on there, but he didn't know yet, which made me think that there's still work to be done.
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #22
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchingfreedom
He's quite a prolific songwriter as well so we can't really make the assumption that he's not gonna write a lot of new songs too...
Prolific? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] He really hasn't written much the last few years that we know of.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 07:03 PM   #23
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

He said on KCRW a while ago that he has written a handful, not as many as a couple of years ago as he hasn't been as down recently with all the touring etc to keep him busy. He also said he has material for more than two albums. Whether he'll use this material or not is another matter.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:37 PM   #24
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Insane isn't on the Juniper bootlegs but it may well date from those days.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:47 PM   #25
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Disclaimer: Everything we're saying here was at some point current. That doesn't mean this is what is going happen in the end. We're merely relaying intentions that have been expressed (I think I've relayed a couple different intentions, from different moments in time, some of it even contradictory) at different times.

Angela, after my talks with Jonathon, they seem really really really concerned about people hearing new songs before they make the album. If we go back through the last six months, there are a handful of songs that have popped up (for eg: unknown from berlin; "lonely soldier") and have been played two or three times, then dissapeared. From what Jonathon said to me, Damien is truly concerned about that, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's got songs he's written that he's just not playing live.

That said, he's a pretty impulsive guy, and if you write a new song and like it, its hard not to play it. (See Dave Matthews for more on this, but everytime DMB releases an album, we as fans go back through old shows and find out that 20 seconds of noodling two years ago was actually him playing part of a song he had just written, and only now released.)

So I don't know.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:28 PM   #26
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Angela, after my talks with Jonathon, they seem really really really concerned about people hearing new songs before they make the album. If we go back through the last six months, there are a handful of songs that have popped up (for eg: unknown from berlin; "lonely soldier") and have been played two or three times, then dissapeared. From what Jonathon said to me, Damien is truly concerned about that, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's got songs he's written that he's just not playing live.
Yeah, I know. I'm just referring to the fact that most of his *known* (released + unreleased, but played live) material was writtern years ago. That handful amounts to one song per year - unless he has a "secret stash" [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

The other thing is that Damien himself said he's writing in spurts and the way he said it always sounded as though he was waiting for one of those.

We'll see. Not every songwriter is prolific anyway (see Jeff Buckley). I think of *prolific* songwriters more of those who write 50 songs for an album and don't have to care if people hear a few of those throughout the year because they have enough other material ready.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:23 AM   #27
Mario
Eskimo Regular

No, he's written more than those two, those are just the two that he's refrained from playing.

Rootless Tree
Lonely Soldier
The Berlin tune
Blowers Daughter Part II
The Girl Who Does Yoga

But thats what the part we're really all speculating about. Per my last posts, it would make perfect sense if he did have a secret stash, and perfect sense if he didn't.

Edited by: Mario
Old 04-20-2004, 12:43 AM   #28
Alistair
Eskimo Regular

ack another version, i haven't even got the dvd version yet [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] maybe after all the waiting for a second album he'll release two albums in close proximity, or maybe a double album! or maybe i'm just dreaming :[
Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #29
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
...it would make perfect sense if he did have a secret stash, and perfect sense if he didn't.
[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] That is so ZEN!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:51 AM   #30
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair
ack another version, i haven't even got the dvd version yet [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] maybe after all the waiting for a second album he'll release two albums in close proximity, or maybe a double album! or maybe i'm just dreaming :[

the DVD version isnt really worth it... you can get those videos offline, they are the AOL session ones. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]