Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #61
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Never Go Down is played at the end of Yoke at the Boston Apr show!! All this time I thought it was a new song but now I kinda think it's an improv too... For a while I also thought it might be this lost song Fear, since 'fear' is mentioned in the first sentences...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #62
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

fear?! i'm the only eskimo around who's heard that one.. (though that may have been improvised too, he was doing a long trancey jam out of a medley and he did the color/emotion/body part thing)

*runs off to listen*

okay wow. can't believe i missed that one, i must have been skipping ahead to 'is that it my friend' or something.. you know the intro to that sounded eerily like the 'fear' i heard in madison but it had a distinct melody of it's own so i don't think it's the same. this one sounds a little more developed than a straight improvisation even though he is basically singing over the chords to me, my yoke and i..

ps - marti inbox

Last edited by SisterMidnight; 09-19-2007 at 03:32 AM.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #63
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Prove it. HA-HA-HA!
no worries....I'm working on that!! Team Rain is going to win this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Well, you must have cheated on the exam because you don't know a thing about the topic
weeell.....I'm pretty sure I even got a sticker on my exam sheet! but I don't really remember since..... it was in grade 1!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Since English is not my native language so I have a choice of which variant of it I speak. The usual Yank/BBC stuff is boring, so i thought why not an Irish one and after a battle between the Derry and the Cork accents, I chose the latter. I was contemplating on scottish too, but I can't do that seriously after watching so much Billy Connolly.
oh, ok, I understand. But you should've gone for the Scottish accent! I have a great Scottish accent....all I do is say "aye" for every second word! . And I won't even comment that you never considered the Canadian accent.....
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #64
Rai
Eskimontologist

[quote=Lindsay]no worries....I'm working on that!! Team Rain is going to win this!

weeell.....I'm pretty sure I even got a sticker on my exam sheet! but I don't really remember since..... it was in grade 1!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
And I won't even comment that you never considered the Canadian accent.....
I don't know much aboot it, its like a degraded American accent, no? Plus, I'm afraid I don't have the floppy head and beady litle eyes for it

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #65
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
its like a degraded American accent, no?
Ouch, I'm not even Canadian and I feel the pain of that blow
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #66
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

On a more related topic, I think the lyrics for this song are I've taken the ones written earlier and made the changes discussed and a couple more that I hear. Feel free to argue

You look for something to hold onto
You look for something to pull you out
And you look around and everybody's dead
And you hold on cause it's all in your head

And you're looking for some, someone to sing for
And you give it all, all in vain
Cause you just ****'em like a brocken bridge
Yeah, yeah, yeah....
So go on
Just lie down
Curl up in a ball
Say I'm the one that makes you fall
Run away
Like you've never belonged to yesterday
f*ck off
And take your bags and (go home?)
Leave my door, don't come here anymore
no, no, no....

What's the point in painting
What's the point of being here at all
What's the point in wasting
What's the point in crawling
I've had to know
And I'd like it to be ......something
If you'll just be real with me
If you'll just be real with me
And I'll just be real with you
And I'll just be real with you
And I'll, I'll......

I would listen though it again but I have listened to it far too many times today already and it's rather depressing.
And if I'm low
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #67
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
I don't know much aboot it, its like a degraded American accent, no? Plus, I'm afraid I don't have the floppy head and beady litle eyes for it
Wow....that's low Rai, that's reeeeal low. I see someone is now on the defensive....a little worried perhaps?

And if you're refering to my smiley, I promise we don't look like that.... we look like this ....
ps....in all seriousness, hardly anyone says aboot....that's all lies and propaganda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Benn.
On a more related topic, I think the lyrics for this song are I've taken the ones written earlier and made the changes discussed and a couple more that I hear. Feel free to argue

And you're looking for some, someone to sing for
And you give it all, all in vain
haha....I see you ever so discreetly took out rain.....it's ok, Team Rain can handle many competitors at once

But do you happen to be from Ireland Sir Benn? Just because it seems someone familar with the accent might have more success than the rest of us

Last edited by Lindsay; 09-19-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #68
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Wow....that's low Rai, that's reeeeal low. I see someone is now on the defensive....a little worried perhaps?
No, not at all. Its just the usual opposing presidential candidate-bashing. I can't talk about your nonexistent time in Vietnam, so what's left for me?

Quote:
And if you're refering to my smiley, I promise we don't look like that.... we look like this ....
Or rather this. Don't try to hide it

Quote:
ps....in all seriousness, hardly anyone says aboot....that's all lies and propaganda
The only Canadian I ever met and talked with often was clearly using aboot.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 09-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #69
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
The only Canadian I ever met and talked with often was clearly using aboot.
Rai!! your life will never be complete if you're not graced with the presence of multiple Canadians!!
(but really....perhaps you met someone from the Maritimes, down east. That's where most of the "colorful" pronounciations come from)

Soooo.....Mr Benn, aka Sir Benn, made the recording a bit clearer(yaaay!). And I stiiiill hear rain! So Rai, what exactly are you arguing? You're saying that you hear "vain", or that you hear "rain" but that's the way it's supposed to be pronounced?

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-16-2007 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 PM   #70
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

ive never met a canadian.

but more to the point, i agree with whoever has strongest argument. (i have no idea whats going on, i just came here to say that)

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #71
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
your life will never be complete if you're not graced with the presence of multiple Canadians!!
Especially if I'm a baby seal who wants a new head piercing...

Quote:
Soooo.....Mr Benn, aka Sir Benn, made the recording a bit clearer(yaaay!). And I stiiiill hear rain! So Rai, what exactly are you arguing? You're saying that you hear "vain", or that you hear "rain" but that's the way it's supposed to be pronounced?
i'm saying that I hear vain and it makes much more sense that way.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #72
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Ships_Were_Sailin ive never met a canadian.
haha....that explains everything Ships!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Especially if I'm a baby seal who wants a new head piercing...
RAI!!!! You're lucky I'm in such a good mood today!! I'm thinking that I should start a "Canada is brilliant" thread just for your benefit!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
i'm saying that I hear vain and it makes much more sense that way.
ok, ok....yes, Maria and I agree that it's probably supposed to be vain. Now it's just more of a mystery as to why we hear the r, and no one else does . I'll admit I'm very unfamiliar with the Irish accent, but I still don't think a "v" would be rolled at all. Huh, I don't know anymore, I give up
Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #73
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

I don't think it is rolled, it's said through gritted teeth and he sort of holds a "f" sound before, to my hears anyway.
And if I'm low
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #74
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I don't think it is rolled, it's said through gritted teeth and he sort of holds a "f" sound before, to my hears anyway.
haha, I thought I was so close to convincing you! And you still don't hear the "r" even with those fancy headphones?

ok....but you would be the perfect person to explain this to seeing as you're from Scotland. You know how you pronounce an r? That's close to what I hear DR saying. And I guess they're not the same accent of course.... but if I were to ask my grandfather how he would pronounce "vain", he would say this.....och aye hen, it's no rrrain.....it's veeeein

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-16-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #75
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

No, sorry, the headphones made it sound like vain aswell.

And for the record, I am slightly offended by the "och aye hen" thing. If you're going to use scottish words, atleast use good ones like "glakit" ya wee sproggit!
And if I'm low
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #76
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

This has got to die
This has got to stop

Seriously people, you're taking this to far. This was supposed to be a constructive discussion, no need to insult and go personal and start slagging off whole countries or languages or accents
Old 09-22-2007, 12:02 AM   #77
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
No, sorry, the headphones made it sound like vain aswell.

And for the record, I am slightly offended by the "och aye hen" thing. If you're going to use scottish words, atleast use good ones like "glakit" ya wee sproggit!
Oh ok....maybe I've just gone completely mad. It's just a bizarre feeling to hear something so different

Aw, I looove those words!! (I just spelt them the way they sound to me). Hmm, I don't think I've heard of that, what does "glakit" ya wee sproggit! mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Seriously people, you're taking this to far. This was supposed to be a constructive discussion, no need to insult and go personal and start slagging off whole countries or languages or accents
ok, ok.....we should move on to something else

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-16-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #78
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

Glakit is kind of like vacant and sproggit is a term that kind of means "young person" i suppose, which was a bit of a strange word to use but my old art teacher used to use it a lot and i met him the other day so it was in honour of him or something.
And if I'm low
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Old 09-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #79
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Glakit is kind of like vacant and sproggit is a term that kind of means "young person" i suppose, which was a bit of a strange word to use but my old art teacher used to use it a lot and i met him the other day so it was in honour of him or something.
Very cool, I think you should have to add Scottish phrases to every post you make!

And Rai....just for the record, I'm not admitting defeat... Maria and I are still on our way to taking over the world! And do you like my new avatar.....I thought you would !

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-16-2007 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #80
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
And Rai....just for the record, I'm not admitting defeat... Maria and I are still on our way to taking over the world! And do you like my new avatar.....I thought you would !
I think I'll get there first. You still haven't got anything close to my educational reforms...
The logo is nice... Is it the logo of a maple syrup factory?

Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Lindsay
This message has been deleted by Lindsay.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #81
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Oh My God, people!!!...
I just plant a seed, from a scratch and you managed to turn it into something great...
thanks again
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #82
filledanse
Eskimo Regular

just a quick thought,
but given the circumstance between Damo and Lisa at the time it was sung, and the whole angry set discussed elsewhere,do any of you get the impresion that the song might be directed at Lisa?

if so, theory that it might be improvised are boolstered a wee bit.
Kinda remember reading somewhere that damo said he had written a song about Lisa pretty soon after she had left.

Just throwin it out there, but some of the lyrics combined with the situation struck me that it might be so
filledanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #83
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

he sang that song with lisa 2 or 3 concerts before they split up
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #84
adecca
igloo tourist

Marti, is it still on your 4shared? I can't find it... is it Eskimo + dont come here anymore??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
^ I hear the 'you belong to yesterday' part too. I also hear 'like a broken bridge' somewhere...

The 'painting' bit makes me think it's an original, not a cover... and the 'Fook off and don't come here anymore' is Damien trademark too!!!

Gonna make an mp3 so we can listen easily with headphones...

Here's the link:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/2208578/4...0/sharing.html
adecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #85
filledanse
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuuliem
he sang that song with lisa 2 or 3 concerts before they split up
Yeah i know, but I just thought it might be an indication of how their relatioship was at that time, and was maybe a premonition of what was to come.

I'm not sure, It just struck me.

singing for someone else playing towards the whole Gary Lightbody yada...

No se.
filledanse is offline   Reply With Quote