Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
shard
Eskimo Friend

Default Joshua Radin

He's my favourite artist of all time (sorry guys, Damien is second :P)

www.myspace.com/joshuaradin

The first EP (First Between 3rd and 4th) is awesome, acoustic-mellow etc. I dont think you can get it anymore though. "We Were Here" is his debut album and its equally awesome. It's more indie/alternative sounding than the EP, most of the songs from there are given a reworking. I'm fairly sure all you Damien fans will love Josh if you don't already
shard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Yah, an oppurtunity for me to rant about Radin...
Radin would be a nobody if he hadn't exploited a lucky connection to Zach Braff...His songs are insincere...His vocals are tepid

We will have to agree to disagree about Radin

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Topspin047
tennis pro

eh, I disagree. Sure Radin wouldn't be that popular if it weren't for Zach Braff, but I do enjoy his music. It's honest, heartfelt, and it sounds great.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin047
eh, I disagree. Sure Radin wouldn't be that popular if it weren't for Zach Braff, but I do enjoy his music. It's honest, heartfelt, and it sounds great.
sometimes it takes a foot in the door to make yourself. adn thats exactly what this is (i agree by the way) he wouldnt have hung around long if he wasnt talented.

i like joshua radin. i would compare him to damien but i like his vibe. maybe too commercial for me in bits but i guess thats what he's going for. has nice songs and a really good voice, he doesnt do much else for me but i like him.

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Worst thing Josh ever did is join Columbia records. Been listening to him quite a while since the Ep came out on myspace. Lately he just doesn't do it for me anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's nice music, but there is something missing.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Bumpman

I really like him too, maybe he just needs more chutzpah, he's all meshugga.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i like him
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
Angela
Eskimo Regular

There's nothing insincere about Josh. He's a rather quiet and modest guy, not very attention grabbing as a performer (yet?). Quite lovely in front of a quiet appreciative audience, Simon & Garfunkle like pretty.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Afterall
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
There's nothing insincere about Josh. He's a rather quiet and modest guy, not very attention grabbing as a performer (yet?). Quite lovely in front of a quiet appreciative audience, Simon & Garfunkle like pretty.
I bought the new disk. Pretty solid, hasn't really gripped me yet...but I'll continue to give it a shot.
Afterall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
Yellow
The Anti-Myspace

I love him. Lame that I discovered him because of Grey's Anatomy, but regardless, I'm addicted.
worth fighting for.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
shard
Eskimo Friend

to any radin fans, we've just created a new joshua radin forum at www.thinkingofwinter.com

when josh signed to columbia (2006) they closed off the old forum we had and put up some dodgy sony one in it's place. so anyone radin fans from here are more than welcome to join us it only went fully live a couple hours ago so there's not much there so any help moving it along would be great
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
Nine
Inuit

Omfg - I'd never heard of this guy until now - but his song called Everything'll Be Alright is just - I can't believe this, it's almost identical to a song I wrote. The guitar, the chord progression (I know it's the most common progression of all, but still) some of the melodies, the rhythm, and even some lines. Most of my verses end with 'I don't know if anything is gunna be alright.' I also have a line 'There's a space on my pillow, and it's about your size, and i don't know if anything is gunna be alright'. Also i have a line to the exact same tune of the bit that goes 'way down, new york town' and mine is 'I'm down, when your in town."

I feel so odd. I feel like I've been ripped off - I don't know if I have or not, this could just be a horrible coincidence, but all the same it feels really crap.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
shard
Eskimo Friend

Really?

Wow, I'm not sure what to think of that. Are you streaming your song from your myspace or anything?

I find it extremely hard to believe Josh would do anything like that, though
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard
Really?

Wow, I'm not sure what to think of that. Are you streaming your song from your myspace or anything?

I find it extremely hard to believe Josh would do anything like that, though
Yeah, even though I don't know him I find it hard to believe anyone could plagiarise to such an obvious extent. I guess it must be a coincidence... I mean whilst I did write the song years ago, it's one I have only gigged a few times, and haven't yet recorded it, so no myspace at the moment I'm afraid. But the plan is (or was, not sure what to do now) to record it as part of my album that I'm doing in August, so if it does go on the album then I'll be sure to let you hear it and you can see what you reckon. It really is just uncannily similar. It sounds like a variation of the same song.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #15
Lori
Eskimo Spaz

I saw him a few times (not that I paid to see him, I actually paid to see the people on tour with him; Meiko, Schuyler Fisk, etc.). He's a bit too quiet for my taste, but I do like his music. Honestly, I only got his CD because a very sweet local girl is doing the backups on one of his songs featured on The Last Kiss.

Nine, it's funny you bring that up. A friend of mine covered Only You and threw it up on MySpace and found it odd that Radin did a similar (but more gay) cover if it soon after.

He sings well and all, for someone with exceptional hearing. I just personally see him as someone with no range and someone who falls back on female vocalists to make hits. Please note that is my opinion and I don't expect people to agree, but his best songs (in my opinion) feature Priscilla Ahn or Schuyler Fisk. Closer is lovely and all, but I just feel like there's a lot of people who could 'whisper-sing' and sound good. Hard to judge someone who sounds almost the same in every song and exercises zero range whatsoever.

Furthermore, it's been stated by some ladies around their most recent tour he's quite arrogant. Then again, that's just hearsay - but after seeing him perform, I wouldn't find it to be very shocking. He is a man after all. *ducks*