Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 09-08-2003, 02:22 PM   #1
megan
Eskimo Regular

i hope this topic isn't redundant.

i am just curious what everyone here does? ie, your job or what you spend your day doing? also, your hobbies?

i am a student at the university of new mexico. i am studying languages and history. my hobbies are horseback riding, playing guitar/singing, writing (songs & poems mostly), traveling, movies, etc etc etc.

i have been thinking of trying to transfer to trinity or ucd in dublin. i'm really fed up with living in the us.

who's next?
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
FlyingCrow
Eskimo Regular

I go to uni in Dundee. I study business, and yeh it is quite boring. my hobbies are music, football, writing poems/lyrics, films.

"how my eyes lose to those noble hands"
FlyingCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Hey i'm studying languages too, which ones are you studying??

i do german, but have studied french and a little bit of spanish and italian.
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
megan
Eskimo Regular

vienna,

i speak spanish fairly well. right now, i am taking chinese. my goal is to learn many languages. i think german will be next. i have actually taken one semester of german, but the teacher was horrible and i learned nothing! i would also like to learn russian, and some of the other romance languages (maybe italian).
Old 09-08-2003, 04:22 PM   #5
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

yeh italian was a lovely language!!

i wish i'd stuck with the spanish for longer, but it was getting a bit hectic studying 4 languages simultaneously!!!

but WOW, chinese, that would be amazing!!!

i have found that most of the german teachers i have encountered weren't exactly the most palatable people i've ever met except for one i had at secondary school!!!

Old 09-08-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
megan
Eskimo Regular

hahaha. i wonder if that is because germans tend to not be palatable as a culture? [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

chinese is fantastic so far. it is much easier than i anticipated. they have no tenses and no plurals! the writing is also easier than i thought it would be. i am NOT an artist, so i thought i would be horrible at the characters, but i'm finding it very fun.

i think italian and spanish are very similar, yes? i find myself able to comprehend a bit of italian with just my spanish background.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:34 PM   #7
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

yeh i think you're right about the germans!!!!

i definitely want to learn chinese at some point!!

italian to me was a bit of a mixture between french and spanish, but more similar to spanish definitely!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #8
megan
Eskimo Regular

cool!

i wonder if anyone else will respond to this topic! haha.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:52 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan

hahaha. i wonder if that is because germans tend to not be palatable as a culture? [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
*cough, cough*

Some strange thing called prejudice here? [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] Edited by: Angela
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:56 PM   #10
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

wow i didntrealize ppl here knew spanish )!that was my first lang.. i know enough italian to getme by.. although i dont like the accent.french soundsnicer to mebut yah.. ionno not one word of it.

ah.. andi like to sit my butt in my lazy boy and just..ahhh relax with a good book! of course now that school started back up again theres no such thing. >/ i hate school..why im occupying a perfectly good and not to mention costly, seat.. ill never know =/
tis_me_Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:00 PM   #11
megan
Eskimo Regular

tania- what do you study in school?

si, hablo espanol un poquito! hehe. mucha genta en nuevo mexico habla espanol. hay muchas mexicanos aqui.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:20 PM   #12
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

im majoring in english. i honestly have no idea what to do with speaking perfect english.. maybe ill be a college english teacher or something.. so exciting =l

ahh hablas españolbien! asi que vives en nuevo mexico? yo vivo enla florida. gusto en conocerte x) Edited by: tis_me_Tania
Old 09-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #13
megan
Eskimo Regular

si, estoy de nuevo mexico, en santa fe. tengo un amigo que vive en orlando. donde en florida vives? Edited by: megan
Old 09-08-2003, 06:06 PM   #14
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

lookah megan ![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] viwyy viwyy nice!

wow santa fe? mucho calor por alla no? yo vivo en miami. pero si tengo mucha familia y amigos en orlando..quizas lo conosco ! lol
Old 09-08-2003, 06:11 PM   #15
megan
Eskimo Regular

actualmente, santa fe no es mucho calor. nieva en el invierno, y el verano is muy templado. la cuidad esta in las montanas Rockies!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #16
megan
Eskimo Regular

lookie there. a bit of english slipped in. too hard to figure the difference between in and en when you are typing.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2003, 06:23 PM   #17
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

lolll meg.. thats called spanglish =P

suena bonito.. aqui nunca nieva. es casimente verano el año entero. it sux =/
Old 09-08-2003, 06:26 PM   #18
megan
Eskimo Regular

hahaha. yeah, i could never live where it was warm year round. i love the cold and the seasons.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:49 PM   #19
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

so i guess a few people did reply then eh meg?!?!

oh and Angela, sorry about that!!![img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img] i love german people really, when i went on the exchange, it was one of the best weeks ever, i really enjoyed myself!!! i guess it's just the teachers!!! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2003, 08:49 PM   #20
Angela
Eskimo Regular

We can agreee safely that a lot of German teachers suck [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] Except two of my friends, who happen to be teachers. We'll excuse those two, eh? [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Politics and arts, no less!
Old 09-08-2003, 11:13 PM   #21
sonya
Eskimo Friend

holaya'll

i'm from san antonio, tx, usa and i'mauniversity student at STMU. I'm actually student teaching right now. I've never been out of the USA, except for border towns Mexico and Puerto Rico. I would someday absolutely love to go to Europe. I live wear it's pretty warmall year and I love it. The first time I saw snow was my first year in college. Iattented a junior college near Dallas, TX and it was horrible. I kept falling on the iced sidewalks. Anyways, I'm a new fan of Damien Rice and I wish wish wish that he will someday come to texas I love his music.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #22
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

Ha, I am fed up too with living in the U.S. I even have a post somewhere asking about what goes on if I were to move to Ireland. Apparently if I want to change my citizenship, I have to either who is Irish (mmm, not gonna work-my mother is Russian and my father is Italian) or...I have to marry an Irishman...the second does not sound that bad.
I am 18, I am from Stanton (about ten minutes from Disneyland in the city of Anaheim), California, USA. I will be a student in the spring after much debate with my parents about what to do. Before I graduated, I was accepted to the Art Institute of Santa Ana. I could not go because of money. So now I am stuck in community college and will either get a vocational degree in accounting, or defeat my parents' wishes and do something with earth sciences. I work at a deli sub shop called Quizno's and it is my fourth Quizno's job...soon I will have to work at a bagel place which mean waking up at four-thirty every morning to get ready in time to get there. I speak French, Yiddish, and Sign Language fluently in addition little bits and peices of Russian, German, Norweigan, Spanish, Italian and I cannot really think of the others right now. I love the arts. Be it painting (obvious if I were going to art school), music, theater (god, I love theater!), film (I am the hugest freak when it comes to film. Ask me, I've probably seen it-I even considered Film School for most of my Senior year of H.S.), poetry (I have some posted on poetry.com) Well I feel I have bored readers and rambled on. Glad to meet you Megan. Well, arrivederci, au revoir, adidos, god natt, shalom, auff vertersein, ha sha, dashbidana, *signs goodbye*, goodbye. Edited by: tasha039
Old 09-09-2003, 10:05 AM   #23
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha039
I have to marry an Irishman...the second does not sound that bad.
Lets say we got married...would that mean I got US citizenship then?!! It'd be great...we wouldn't even have to like eachother!! I could live in the US for a few years while you lived in Ireland!!! It sounds like the perfect plan....I'm sure there's some catch tho!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:28 AM   #24
Angela
Eskimo Regular

The catch is that the IRS might knock on your door looking for evidence that you are actually living together.

If you get married here you get "permanent" residency. You can loose it again, too, under certain circumstances. You have to have lived here for x number of years before you can apply for citizenship, but will have to renounce the Irish one, *unless* Ireland allows for multiple nationalities (the way the UK does).

Best regards,
Your immigation lawyer

[img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #25
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

As you're such a huge Counting Crows fan...I even found the perfect place for you to live..its in a beautiful little town in Kerry(where I'm from!) called Kenmare. Its on the famous 'Ring of Kerry' and there's a Sullivan Street there! Oh and you would "really really really need a raincoat" there....at least for most of the year!![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 10:36 AM   #26
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Awww Angela, you had to rain on my parade?!![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Oh well, It was a nice idea while it lasted...and obviously I wasn't being serious...I'm just tryin to get my post-count up so I can get in the Eskimo band!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 10:41 AM   #27
megan
Eskimo Regular

tasha,

i really want to move to ireland. i am going to apply to go to school there. so you can come and be my FLATMATE! how does that sound? haha.

ps- you at least need to get out of cali. that place will kill a person.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:42 AM   #28
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Still though Angela...its good to know that info...just in case I meet my soulmate over here in the next two weeks!! Hehehe
Old 09-09-2003, 10:50 AM   #29
megan
Eskimo Regular

ninjafred,

are you in the states right now?

Old 09-09-2003, 11:41 AM   #30
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Are you going back in two weeks? Hey, a soul mate beats a US passport! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]