Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 PM   #31
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Yep Megan, I'm in Boston.
...and yes Ang, two weeks from today I'll already be home...I was really looking forward to going home, but now I'm not so sure...it means goin back to a fairly tough final year in college after all!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:10 PM   #32
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

...and yes, a soulmate would beat any kind of passport!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:10 PM   #33
megan
Eskimo Regular

fred,

i lived for two years in boston! what have you been doing there? where in ireland do you go to college?

megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:17 PM   #34
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

I've been on co-op(an internship) from college for the past 5 months or so. I go to UCC in Cork.

Is that you in your avatar? In a bar? With a pint?...nice
Old 09-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #35
megan
Eskimo Regular

wow, fun! boston is a really cool city. i kind of think of it as dublin usa or something. i worked at the museum of fine arts when i lived there. too much fun.

yeah, that's me in the avatar. that picture was taken in o'shea's merchant in dublin.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:33 PM   #36
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Really? Class...Can't say I've been out that much in Dublin...From my experience though, I'd have to say I prefer Boston...but then, I'd probably prefer Cork to Boston...Umm I suppose it depends who you're with and where you go too and also if you know the right places to go!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:00 PM   #37
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

yes Megan, I need to get out of California! I wish I lived on the east coast. Especially Boston! I hear it is a great art town. I cannot move though. Be it out of country or in Ireland. No money... and I have not started college. I start in the spring. Hmmmmm I doubt you will find a soulmate in the U.S. Fred. We breed bad out here!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:02 PM   #38
LisaOBrien
Eskimo Regular

hello tis me! im currently in Boston...well actually im in Woburn with my family here. it's cool. went on the duck tour the other day and the freakin thing broke down..never laughed so much in my life. we were in the flipping river and all brilliant. i never laughed so much!!....ok off on a tangent
*COUGH*
my name's lisa but im known as Lis. i live in limerick and i go to UL. currently and for the last 7months ive been in Wharton NJ (30 mins from NYC) working and living on COOP. it's been great. going home in 10days im really looking forward to it. my hobbies are swimming, dancing and i love to sing...I LOVE IT. basically i love anything to do with stage watching, being on stage! i love going out to night clubs and dancing the night away.
am...that's kinda it really! tada!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:20 PM   #39
megan
Eskimo Regular

fred (is that your actual name?),

i definitely prefer dublin to boston. a lot of the boston people have a real "east coast" snooty attitude and there aren't nearly as many young people in boston. although, you are right... it all depends on who you know and where you go. i had a fantastic time in dublin.. we went out every night and loved every second there. but from what i've heard, you corkonians don't like them dublin jackeens much. we spent one night in cork and, unfortunately, it was a sunday. we did go out... actually a cork native took us to a pub there, the name of which now escapes me. it was right across the street from the murphy's brewery, as i recall.

tasha- keep it in mind!

lisa - i am very sorry that you had to spend the last 7 months in new jersey. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]i'm sure it was fun to be so close to nyc, though.

could you guys tell me what exactly a coop is? i think i have an idea, but i'm not certain.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #40
sonya
Eskimo Friend

All of you should be glad ya'll are not in TEXAS. I would love to go to Boston, or Cali, or heck any change of scenery would be nice. Aaawwwww, now I feel like a trader (not really)......we grow up being a texan first, american second. I love art and music and I've always wanted to go to school up in new york or boston but I couldn't afford it. It's funny how people have such different experiences, it's like night and day. But we do have something in common.......damien

how sweet
Old 09-09-2003, 10:21 PM   #41
megan
Eskimo Regular

sonya -

i lived in texas too! haha, for four and a half years. in fact, i went to high school there. so i KNOW the texas experience.

i think it's always that we need a change of scenery... wherever we come from. moving... traveling.. experiencing.. those are all necessary parts of life and growing up.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #42
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

oh my god Lisa, the duck tour broke down!!! Holy crap talk about coincidence. I was watching the t.v. the other day and it was this blind date thing and they took a ride on that thing. I can see it now...a large duck capsizing, the duck whisles screeching until they are drowned in revolting looking water. Oh, that brightend my day.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:23 PM   #43
megan
Eskimo Regular

tasha... was that 'a dating story' on tlc??? i saw that too!!! except it was the d.c. duck tour, not the boston one. and the girl's dad flew over them in his helicopter or something.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:26 PM   #44
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

ha, yes!!!! wasn't that funny...man we have no life. That is on at like 11a weekdays..ha. Oh...dc duck tour. I did not know though that awful idea spread up around the coast.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:30 PM   #45
megan
Eskimo Regular

hey wait a minute now! i have two days a week off from class! and i only happened to catch that thing on at a random time!

*sigh* [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 11:33 PM   #46
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

yea...sure. Ha, ha. I am just pulling your tail. So how do you like the site so far. Isn't it like 10p or 11p where you are right now? No one is on here when I am because of the time difference.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:39 PM   #47
megan
Eskimo Regular

it's 10:38. i love the site! everyone on here seems really friendly. you can never go wrong making friends with people who have your musical taste. it just seems to work.

i love the damo features on this site. i'm going to download all those mp3s and burn a disc!!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:53 PM   #48
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

UGH! My computer will not work so I cannot download any music. I really need to hear 'MOODAY, MOODAY' Yes, this site is awesome. Everyone is nice and you can always meet someone just like you. They used to have this America-basher on here but Emmett I think kicked him out. I am watching THE OC right now. It does not totally represent Newport, but close enough. Hmmmm....I am sooooooo bored. But when I come here I can always find a topic... or at least start one.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:15 AM   #49
peterd
Eskimo Regular

I LOVE LIVING IN DUBLIN
peterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:34 AM   #50
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan
fred (is that your actual name?),
No, it's Paudie actually...Fred just seemed easier...actually Emmett, is there anyway of changing my username, without creating a whole new profile??

That pub might have been "An Spailpin Panac"? Or, could it have been "the Bakery"? Dunno, the Spailpin, I've never been to but i'd say its a proper traditional Irish pub....wait a minute, am I thinking of the pubs across the street from the Beamish Brewery...I think I might be![img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

P.S. I'm not a Corkonian...I just go to school there[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] ...and I've nothin against Dubs..(in general!!![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img])
Old 09-10-2003, 09:50 AM   #51
Angela
Eskimo Regular

What is the story with Corkonian and Dubs? Can you enlighten us without offending anyone (or only fictional characters)? [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 10:17 AM   #52
megan
Eskimo Regular

from what i was told, and this was straight from the mouth of a native corkonian... is that people from cork hate people from dublin, and vice versa. and that corkonians call dubliners 'jackeens'. i think he was embellishing, but that is what he told me!!

paudie, glad to know your real name. i would hate to be calling you fred all the time. haha!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #53
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

I suppose I'm not the best person to ask...I don't think there's any major rivalry though. The only thing I can think of is that alot of Corkonians call Cork the "true capital" of Ireland. Its just cos they are the two biggest cities.

Check out The peoples republic of Cork site for an insight into the Corkonian mind
www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com

Old 09-10-2003, 10:22 AM   #54
megan
Eskimo Regular

oh yeah... that's another thing! haha, my cork friend also mentioned it being the true capital. and he said that within 4 years, cork will be the culture center of europe. lol. the funny corkonians... [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2003, 10:23 AM   #55
janedoe
Eskimo Regular

Up The Rebels!!!!!

Cork that is!! Ah we dont hate Dublin people @ all we just see ourselves as the real capital of Ireland and kinda hate the way everything in Ireland is run from and centres around Dublin. Hope this makes sense and isnt offensive cause ive lots of dublin mates.

Oh and Paudie/Fred its An Spailpin Fanach or it coulda bee The Oval Bar across from an spalpin?
you know its perfect cause you just gotta leave"
janedoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 10:28 AM   #56
megan
Eskimo Regular

i think the name of the pub was someone's last name, but i can't be sure. it was pretty much in city centre. i'm sure that REALLY narrows it down. hahah.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:37 AM   #57
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Yeah..it probably doesn't really make much difference anyway...as long as you had a nice time!!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:38 AM   #58
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

It is quite a cultural city though...what do you think Jane??
Old 09-10-2003, 11:27 AM   #59
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDaNinjaPunk
www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com
Ha, ha, I know that site! I've been seriously tempted to buy a Republic of Cork mouse pad. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

I guess this type of city rivalry exists in a lot of countries: Rome vs. Milan, Berlin vs. Munich, US west coast vs. east coast, etc. Usually accompanied by rather large cultural and political differences.

Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:54 PM   #60
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Hey, a Cork lad was walking through Chinatown about a month ago here with a Peoples Republic t-shirt on and he got beaten up pretty badly. Its thought that the attackers believed he was a supporter of Mao!