Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 10-27-2006, 02:15 AM   #1
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Default ireland v wales

i just noticed there are some welsh people on here living in ireland and vice versa and i'm curious about the differences between the two places

to me they seem to have a lot of similarities but it would be interesting to hear from natives what they think

personally i'm torn between who has the sexier accent
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
katiejoey
Eskimo Regular

I'm going with ireland for the sexier accent
katiejoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
eims
Eskimo Eejit

Location: University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Originally from Norn Iron tho..

well def an interestin yet relevant question! I've lived in Ireland (born there etc etc) til last september when i started uni in Wales. it's a gorg place with great people. For me tho Ireland will always be the place i'd rather be- bf lives there as does most of my family. So when i get time off i'll be goin back- next week-woohoo-- but that doesnt mean i dont like this place. hmmm, makes me think tho, and i havent prop answered the question..
Old 10-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
audity
High-Five Eskimo

One of my great-great grandfathers was Welsh and migrated to Ireland.
There are many similarities in our cultures and language (both Celtic), I see them (along with Scotland) as sister states.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by eims
well def an interestin yet relevant question! I've lived in Ireland (born there etc etc) til last september when i started uni in Wales. it's a gorg place with great people. For me tho Ireland will always be the place i'd rather be- bf lives there as does most of my family. So when i get time off i'll be goin back- next week-woohoo-- but that doesnt mean i dont like this place. hmmm, makes me think tho, and i havent prop answered the question..
eims lives in northern ireland so there is a big difference in the system there - the UK system - and the system in the republic....probably you get better public services in the UK, therefore making wales more advantageous as a place to live....but theres no contest on the accent...ireland wins, simples as!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

yeah eimear was one of the people i was thinking of when i wrote this, then it occurred to me she's from the north, so it would probably be a totally different perspective again then from being from the republic (thanks for replying eims, would like to hear more when you get the time! have fun on your break when you go back home!)

joe - that's what i always thought too, that even with current day political boundaries that those 3 celtic nations still maintain this link because of culture and history, but for some reason it always seemed to me that ireland and wales are even more closely related than ireland and scotland (don't they even share some of the same myths and ancient gods and goddesses?) but i've noticed these subtle differences like.. well sense of humor for one. welsh sense of humor seems to be more physical and kind of slapstick and irish sense of humor is more dry and witty (just my impression) and i was interested in how the two places differ in ways like that

but i'm still torn on the accent.. i like how the welsh rrrroll their rrrr's
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

is there a big difference between the irish and the welsh? when I was looking up my heritage for a project when I was in highschool I found out that my family imigrated from wales but my last name is of irish decent.

"You're still reaching for the moon."
"No, father. The moon's reaching for me!"

myspace

dizzy cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
eims
Eskimo Eejit

Location: University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Originally from Norn Iron tho..

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccas81
eims lives in northern ireland so there is a big difference in the system there - the UK system - and the system in the republic....probably you get better public services in the UK, therefore making wales more advantageous as a place to live....but theres no contest on the accent...ireland wins, simples as!
Smarty pants! But presumably u cant discount my answer just cause i live in the North?! (not meaning to start gettin ya annoyed tho Shaun, seriously!) There is a difference in the system, but Wales is different too! lol. Dunno if one can say that its more advantageous to live here .. *ponders* interesting..