Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 04-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
eskimo_friendly
Eskimo Regular

Default Eternal Sunshine... would you erase the memories of your ex if you could?

Just like in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, would you have the memories of past relationships that are causing you pain erased from your mind if it was possible?

It's a toughy! It'd mean life would be that much less painful, but at the same time you wouldn't know who you really are anymore... All that you learned from being in the relationship would just go to waste.

I don't think I'd do it - however, it would be extremely tempting! Especially in the first few months after it ends... But ultimately, no I don't think I'd do it... Would you?
eskimo_friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
kel :)
arty eskimo

god no...i was with my ex for 2 and half years and ive learned so much from him.yeah there were fights etc, but in the end i wouldnt be the person i am today without him. although, if i could erase a certain time thats a different story!! definitely the first few months of the break up!!
kel :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
cindy8219
Eskimo Regular

I tend to block hurtfull memories in general. You can't completely block what happened from your memory, but I can forget dates or the sequence of events. It's something I do to help cope.

cindy8219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

No way! time is the best healer.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i wouldn't, not even the bad memories.
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

It would depend on the circumstances, but yeah id love to just be able to erase someone who hurt me.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Wouldn't it be better to only erase the bad bits?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

With one person i knew thats all there was,bad bits!So glad i never have to put up with him anymore,but it'd b so much better if i could erase it completely.Then theres others that were also not the best for me,yet i wouldnt like to erase them completely cause there was good parts.If that makes any sense
Old 04-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

no matter how positively you can make out of your painful past, the fear of being hurt again is hanging above your head everytime you try to look up. it's a terrible feeling.

i don't feel the need to erase my past, i don't need to deny it, no regret either. but it gave shudders everytime i was reminded the pain.
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

it'd be nice to be able to not have to deal with it, but defo i have learned what to do and what not to do. it'd be a little silly to erase everything, unless it was seriously bad. but funnily enough it was the repercussions of breaking up with an ex that caused the most trouble...that's my main lesson, don't break up by text
Old 04-09-2005, 09:58 PM   #11
snowbaby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight
no matter how positively you can make out of your painful past, the fear of being hurt again is hanging above your head everytime you try to look up. it's a terrible feeling.

i don't feel the need to erase my past, i don't need to deny it, no regret either. but it gave shudders everytime i was reminded the pain.

i agree you defo build up a wall so as time goes on every new relationship has more hurdles to get over before you can get going anywhere. however i still wouldn't want to erase the pain cause only remembering the good times would give you a false memory and then you'd be more likely to fall into the same problems again. take the good times with the bad and when there's more bad then good it's time to leave. and i dunno livo... i was dumped by text and i was glad cause i didn't have to show anyone my tears and then it was surreal and i was able to be friends with the boy cause i wasn't embarrassed or anything cause we never had that awkward im crying in front of you moment
Old 04-09-2005, 11:59 PM   #12
eskimo_friendly
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livo
it'd be nice to be able to not have to deal with it, but defo i have learned what to do and what not to do. it'd be a little silly to erase everything, unless it was seriously bad. but funnily enough it was the repercussions of breaking up with an ex that caused the most trouble...that's my main lesson, don't break up by text
I was broken up with via text. We had just spent the day together and he had planned to do it in person. But after we said goodbye and I was in Connolly station, I got the text. He said he tried to tell me while we were in the bar, but he felt like he was gonna cry. And the odd thing? I completely understood and accepted that. Coz I knew him so well I knew that if he was ever gonna break up with me, I don't think he'd have been able to do it face to face. Just unable.

All my friends said it was low and pathetic and cruel. And it truly was pathetic and weak. And I sometimes used to say that to myself to make him seem worse and me feel better about not being with him anymore. But ultimately, I don't hold it against him. I truly don't.

That said, I will happily through it in his face if we ever have an argument! Coz it really was a low thing to do!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:16 AM   #13
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

Note to self:

Look at address bar and confirm I haven't gone to teenangst.com by mistake.

Enoch
Old 04-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
snowbaby
Eskimo Regular

enoch u need to chill a lidl and lose some of the sarcasm
Old 04-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

personally i think breaking up by text has pros and cons. pros would be that it's better than face to face or by phone because you don't have to look at the person or even hear them. the words don't have to ring in your ears, you can delete the message and be over and done with it. but that leads to the cons, that because you're not looking at or talking to the person, it's fairly cowardly. i think generally there's something surrounding it, like you just can't do it which i really don't understand. then again, i wouldn't like to be broken up with by text, so i'm shooting myself in the foot. i think in my situation it wasn't the actual break up that was messy, it was the fact that i'll never be allowed forget by him or his friends that i did it by text.. and then of course there was a messy aftermath which i am sooooo not going to go into..
Old 04-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #16
eskimo_friendly
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livo
personally i think breaking up by text has pros and cons. pros would be that it's better than face to face or by phone because you don't have to look at the person or even hear them. the words don't have to ring in your ears, you can delete the message and be over and done with it. but that leads to the cons, that because you're not looking at or talking to the person, it's fairly cowardly. i think generally there's something surrounding it, like you just can't do it which i really don't understand. then again, i wouldn't like to be broken up with by text, so i'm shooting myself in the foot. i think in my situation it wasn't the actual break up that was messy, it was the fact that i'll never be allowed forget by him or his friends that i did it by text.. and then of course there was a messy aftermath which i am sooooo not going to go into..
It did have its pros in that he didn't get to see me break down in tears! I'm grateful for that. The cons were that I felt I had spent four months going out with a guy who frankly didn't know what it meant to be a real man. But the pro totally outweighed the con. If he had seen my break down (which everyone in Connolly Station did!!) then I don't think it would have been easy for us to maintain a friendship afterwards coz he would have felt far too guilty and awkward about the whole thing.

Anywho, I'm interested in YOUR story!!! Please do go into it!

Last edited by eskimo_friendly; 04-10-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #17
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo_friendly
Anywho, I'm interested in YOUR story!!! Please do go into it!
ooooooooaaaaarggghhh... basically there was a lot of confusion involving him wanting to get back together, while he was going out with this girl who i hated, and me not wanting to at all. the entire story is a lot longer!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #18
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

I was going out with my Ex for 4years!! And when i moved to spain in 2003 we decided to stil be together, but i learnt that a few days later she had slept with my best mate, and that she had been with him the night that i left England!! But i would not get rid of my memories, even though ive been going out with my current girlfriend for 1year and 4months nearly, my ex taught me sooo much, and in a way i love her for what she taught me!! Like they say Love hurts!! Smiley19

By the way do any of you guys know who sang the origianl of 'Love Hurts', the one Damien and Lisa Covered??

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #19
The Pink Girly
the long eskimo

love definately does hurt. i would be really tempted to erase it, but i probably wouldnt. id want to though. yeah, i'd definately want to. tricky stuff.

when you're driving with the brakes on, when you're swimming with your boots on, it's hard to say you love someone...
it's hard to say you don't
~del amitri
The Pink Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #20
Beevers_uk

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pink Girly
love definately does hurt. i would be really tempted to erase it, but i probably wouldnt. id want to though. yeah, i'd definately want to. tricky stuff.
If you did erase it then do u think you would be anymore happier with yourself, knowing that you have lost all the good times you spent together, and all the happpy moments??

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #21
eskimo_friendly
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevers_uk
If you did erase it then do u think you would be anymore happier with yourself, knowing that you have lost all the good times you spent together, and all the happpy moments??
You wouldn't know that you had erased the memories. You wouldn't know there was even anything to erase. The relationship would go completely from memory, as would the memory-deletion process. (as in the film!)
Old 04-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #22
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo_friendly
You wouldn't know that you had erased the memories. You wouldn't know there was even anything to erase. The relationship would go completely from memory, as would the memory-deletion process. (as in the film!)
Yeah good point, i didnt think of that!! but i would still want those memories, for some reason cause the was four years ofmy life!! and im not going toget them back, so i might aswell have some happiness come out of those four years!!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 04-12-2005, 04:22 AM   #23
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevers_uk
By the way do any of you guys know who sang the origianl of 'Love Hurts', the one Damien and Lisa Covered??
nazareth (but i think it was lisa and paul noonan who covered it)

no way i would never erase someone! i’ve been erased before and it’s a horrible feeling i know some people use repression and denial as a way to cope but i’ve always been dead set against it. if you try to bury your feelings they just build up and eventually explode or they take their toll on you in other ways…

i also don’t believe in regret. i think you have to let yourself taste all of life, bitter and sweet, to really feel alive. and i think if you were to erase memories or feelings you would lose more (a piece of yourself) than if you just let yourself remember both the joy and the sorrow and try to focus on the good that came from it (i’m still learning..) plus it just wouldn't be honest somehow...

anyway in the movie joel realizes halfway through the erasure how much those memories mean to him and fights like hell to hold onto them. in the end all you really have is memories so i would never give up a single one, painful or not.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 AM   #24
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

No chance... I could end up with another nutter like that psycho if I removed those memories.

I think you are crazy removing any memories (if it were possible)... I wouldn't have any of the songs I have written and wouldn't appreciate the people and things I have now if not for the bad stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #25
BIG TIM
Polar bear

I wouldn't erase one memorie of a past relationship. the Truth is i still dont fully know who I am and a relationship is like having a mirror held up in front of you. yea there are some times when it can give a distorted image of you but thats when you learn to know yourself, when you can say this isnt me, this isnt how i want to be.

its a weird way to look at it but I'm sure that I'm not the only one to look at myself and say "I could never see myself getting angry or reacting like this" thats what a relationship does to you opens you up and its so good to be like that.

I love how much I have learnt from my Ex she is a beautiful person and she taught me that my feelings are worth fighting for and my opinions are worth hearing.

and Just quickly on the text message thing. I have never thought of it the way that people have brought up. I do believe myself that you need to be able to look a person in the eye and say that it's over, sure it would be as hard as hell but when it comes down to it hurting some one in that situation is enevitable, and Telling some one that is a huge act of character. and Tears; there is no better way to let some one know that you yourself are hurting to hurt them. From my experience it just let me know that it still killed her to hurt me and she didnt want to hurt me anymore in the long run.

anyways getting too deep here,
but in any situation you have a choice to make. is the glass half empty or half full.

Last edited by BIG TIM; 04-12-2005 at 11:47 AM.
BIG TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #26
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TIM
I wouldn't erase one memorie of a past relationship. the Truth is i still dont fully know who I am and a relationship is like having a mirror held up in front of you. yea there are some times when it can give a distorted image of you but thats when you learn to know yourself, when you can say this isnt me, this isnt how i want to be.

its a weird way to look at it but I'm sure that I'm not the only one to look at myself and say "I could never see myself getting angry or reacting like this" thats what a relationship does to you opens you up and its so good to be like that.
that's not weird at all. it's actually very insightful.

re: the text thing, yeah you really should have the courage to look someone in the eye and say it to their face if at all possible... even if it hurts you as much as it does them.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:49 PM   #27
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
nazareth (but i think it was lisa and paul noonan who covered it)
Thank you!!!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 04-12-2005, 03:03 PM   #28
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

absolutely and categorically not.......i think thats what eternal sunshine is trying to warn against actually.... you should always rememebr what attracted you to the person in the first place......thats a beautiful thing... no matter how it ends up, itd be compleltely missing the point to try and erase it!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #29
sarahmarie
Eskimo Baby

never ever would i erase the memories of my ex. there where really good times and even ones that still make me sick to my stomach when i think about them, but there is always a reason for everything that happens and it would really screw with your fung shuey if you just erased everything. plus i dont think you could ever fully forget someone like that.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #30
eskimo_friendly
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
anyway in the movie joel realizes halfway through the erasure how much those memories mean to him and fights like hell to hold onto them. in the end all you really have is memories so i would never give up a single one, painful or not.
Yeah, I didn't really realise that that was really probably the point the film was trying to make - that you really should be grateful and happy for the good times you had with the person, and that the painful ones are generally worth it overall.

You know what? The pain love puts you through is HORRIBLE!!! and sucks more than anything has ever sucked before. And it just doesn't seem to ever fully go away.

But I'm gonna end this post with a smile