Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 04-13-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

Music Review: Damien Rice and Frames deliver moody show
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04104/299860.stm

Tuesday, April 13, 2004
By John Young

You wouldn't have known that singer/guitarist Damien Rice was opening his Sunday night show at the Byham Theater with his song "Delicate." The song had been totally reimagined with new lyrics, a new melody, even a new tempo. No sooner had Rice deconstructed the chorus, though, than he suddenly kicked into the song as listeners know it from his "O" album. Full of magisterial sweep thanks to Vyvienne Long's fluid cello lines and Lisa Hannigan's quietly intense backing vocals that she sang just off-mike, the tune became big, warm, mysterious, enveloping. Rice and his four-piece band delivered music in much the same vein over 17 songs and 100 minutes.

At times, the mood could be lighthearted. Rice joked that Long rides him about repeating the same introductory stories for songs, so Rice let her do the honors for "Eskimo." The audience chuckled along as Long gave "introduction 25-C," but Rice got the last laugh when he deadpanned that Long had the story right but for the wrong song.

Mostly, though, the tone of the show was as quietly melancholy as Rice's material, like the sinuous "Volcano," stern "Baby Sister" and searching "Amie." Fittingly, Rice closed his set with the haunting ballad "Cold Water," the lights onstage fading until the band concluded the song in near-total darkness. The dark mood continued during a four-song encore that ended with Hannigan's re-worded mostly a cappella version of "Silent Night" while Rice sat prayerfully beside her just listening.

The Frames frontman Glen Hansard joked during his group's opening slot that they had "planned on playing a depressing, lonely set ... but we're just too [expletive] happy." Indeed, even lyrical bummers like "Lay Me Down" and "Fake" were brightened by Hansard's sharp, smiling delivery and deepened by the Irish band's hushed, then howling, musical dynamics.

Delivering a show of emotional extremes and deeply involving music, Rice and The Frames elegantly and powerfully wound down a chilly Easter night.

I call architecture frozen music.

- J.W. Goethe
jwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #2
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

I like reading reviews of Damien's concerts. This was not the best review I've seen, but thanks for posting it jwelsh! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]