Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #31
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Since I haven't seen him since 2007 it'll be nice to see a best of show with a new song or two thrown in. I'm site when he comes back through he'll be playing mostly new songs so this is really the best of both worlds.
I haven't seen him since 2007 either, so I won't mind terribly if it's mostly an oldies show. That said, I'm very curious to see if the four NYC setlists will differ greatly.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #32
RenataAQP
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno View Post
I haven't seen him since 2007 either, so I won't mind terribly if it's mostly an oldies show. That said, I'm very curious to see if the four NYC setlists will differ greatly.
i'm wondering the same thing...I'm excited to see him two nights in a row, but i'll be very disappointed if we don't get to hear any of the new songs...
Old 10-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #33
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenataAQP View Post
i'm wondering the same thing...I'm excited to see him two nights in a row, but i'll be very disappointed if we don't get to hear any of the new songs...
The new record will be out before the Apollo show, so I expect we'll get new material then. As for the other three shows, we'll just have to wait and see. Will be interesting to follow the setlists leading up to those shows.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #34
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

what an odd way to promote a new album. I was sure he was going to play the new singles (TGB doesn't count, it's been around for years) *

*edit: of course it counts, I mean it's not exactly "new"

Last edited by eva_arg; 10-08-2014 at 04:38 PM.
eva_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #35
Annaa09
Anna

Oh, this is kind of disappointing indeed... I was hoping to see him with a band, and to hear new songs... What's the point of starting the tour before the album release and only playing new songs in the later dates? That's unfair!
I'm sure they will be fantastic shows anyway but it's definitely not what I was expecting...
Annaa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #36
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

We'll have to request new songs if he asks what we wanna hear
Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #37
RenataAQP
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
i was thinking about that too! He should at least play MFFF or IDWTCY
Old 10-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #38
carrroline
person

He's a people pleaser, so that's definitely worth a try.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #39
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Agreed. I will definitely request new tracks if given the opportunity.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #40
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

A few videos have surfaced on YouTube.

Volcanoes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLLs1O3kGQ

I Remember:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ThGdezokU

Eskimo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQBYde3NAbI
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #41
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Chicago will be my first time EVER seeing Damien so I can't say I'll be disappointed if all we hear is old stuff -- I'd love a chance to hear some of these live before they get "retired" to make way for newer songs.

That said, a few years back we saw Sara Barielles at a very similar solo tour where she played predominantly old stuff before jumping into her full band album tour promo, and while it would have been nice to hear a few more "new" songs, I certainly didn't regret the setlist one bit.

Thanks to everybody who's shared info + pics + video!!! Getting so excited for next week!!!
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #42
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I can't wait for NY, particularly in a small venue. Wish it was as beautiful as the Temple. Maybe he's trying to connect to the audience more than promote a new album to get back into it. It would explain selling 1 ticket at a time. Going alone forces the audience member to connect with him, instead of the person/people you're with.

I think it will pay off, eventually...

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 10-09-2014 at 12:42 AM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #43
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

It does make me worried that he's not as proud of the new stuff. But as a first timer I would happily hear some oldies. The Professor? Hell yes. If he asks for requests, I would be hard pressed not to ask for Sand. Or maybe Insane. Lol there are too many!!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:58 AM   #44
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

My personal, "have nothing to base this on" hunch is more that he's acclimating back to North American audiences, giving a treat of sorts to fans with these small shows after so long. If he asks people not to film and they do anyway, then he has little control over when fans hear the new songs unless he doesn't play them at all. Look at all of the comparing that's going on with the versions we've heard of songs like The Greatest Bastard. Surely it would be hard as an artist to have people say that they prefer it the old way. I definitely like getting to hear stuff in these videos as a fan and read all the banter about the progression of the song, but I can see the trouble it poses as a musician. If he's sticking to the mostly old material in New York, well, wouldn't be the first time I've seen an act only play one or two new songs the month before a new album's out.

Thanks for digging up/sharing photos, videos, stories. He sounds like he's in fine voice. No comment on the hair. Next week will not come quickly enough for me!
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:59 AM   #45
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Van Morrison's been doing this great thing with new albums or revisiting old albums where he'll start off the show by playing the album straight through. Take an intermission and then come back on and play a full best of set and an encore. When I saw him do Astral Weeks it was the best show I have ever seen.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #46
amyyhc
Eskimo Friend

thanks guys for sharing all the pics and video clips,
i do hope he will play a few new tracks at the Apollo in new york, absolutely cannot wait for that!
amyyhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #47
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Van Morrison's been doing this great thing with new albums or revisiting old albums where he'll start off the show by playing the album straight through. Take an intermission and then come back on and play a full best of set and an encore. When I saw him do Astral Weeks it was the best show I have ever seen.
...........oh my god that sounds amazing
Old 10-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #48
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

well, look at what Ben Howard is doing, at the itunes Festival he did the forthcoming new album in full, all of it, one month ahead of the release, not even a single old song!!

but yep the only redeeming factor of the US shows is that it´s all really small nice venues, like those churches in California and the venues in New York... won´t be the same if he still plays only oldies in Milano for instance, where he´s playing in that horrible theatre for like 5,000 people

Last edited by borneoman; 10-09-2014 at 07:21 AM.
borneoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #49
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I like the shaved head so much more than his homeless chic. The matted hair and duck dynasty beard is a good disguise, but yuck!
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #50
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
shaved his head
i couldn´t ask for me

about the setlist... i don´t really know what to think, and maybe i shoudn´t even think a single bit and be open to whatever we will get from him... but i definitely would love to listen to new songs live.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #51
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesoleInBoston View Post

he is foocking into the song! love this performance.
btw, thanks for sharing reviews, setlist, pics and videos people.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #52
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

review & final setlist from sfstation.com

Damien Rice, the iconic Irish folk singer/songwriter, played an emotive and intimate set at the Congregation Sherith Israel before releasing his first record in seven years, My Favourite Faded Fantasy.

People slowly trickled in, filling the pews of the synagogue with their eyes fixated on an alter that was accompanied by an acoustic guitar, a couple guitar amps, a piano and a small table with a bottle of wine and two empty glasses. Excitement was evident as people chatted about the uniqueness of the venue, a Jewish synagogue that rarely has such artists as Damien Rice bless its confines.

On his modest, two-month tour, Rice is playing seemingly handpicked venues like churches, music halls and small theaters. With few appearances over the past few years, some fans couldn’t help but speculate about the enigmatic singer, wondering if he converted to Judaism, became sober, or was going to censor his set.

The lights went down and a halo illuminated the stage. Rice grabbed his guitar and immediately plunged into an entirely acoustic version of “Eskimo.” Without amplification, his voice filled the church like gospel and the rapture of Damien Rice had begun. After a loud applaud, he plugged in and followed with the tune, “Delicate,” from his 2002 debut album O.

His environment was greatly conducive to his heart wrenching songs, hinging on confessions that plead for answers. His sound was pure and uncompromised by the absence of a backing band, strings or Lisa Hannigan. During the song, “Elephant,” Rice used distortion to empower and punctuate his emotions, and followed by playing the ballad, “9 Crimes,” on the piano, demonstrating his wide array of musical talents. His set flawlessly gravitated from one song to the next with impassioned turbulence.

For a tour that may have been meant to expose his new music, he mainly played older songs. Throughout the set Rice’s personality and humor revealed itself, becoming more vulnerable and chatty and encasing a closeness to his audience. After a new track, “The Greatest Bastard,” Rice joked that it was about “sperm.” This cracked the tension and fans started shouting their requests before he played “Grey Room.”

The greatest moments of the show came near the end of his set, during the widely popular hit, “Volcano.” At the end of the song, Rice had members of the audience form a choir on stage. One half of the them sang, “Volcanos melt me down” while the others sang, “What I am to you, is not real. What I am to you, you do not need.” With the members still on stage Rice slowly faded into Led Zeppelin’s “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” on the guitar while singing the lyrics to Prince’s “When Doves Cry.” Rice left the stage shaking hands and leaving everyone in awe.

For his encore, Rice once again stunned the audience with his antics. After playing the song, “The Blowers Daughter,” he asked, “is there anyone who isn’t driving home after the show that would like to drink some wine?” After a minute of debacle, a woman was brought up on the stage and Rice reenacted the inspiration for the song, “Cheers Darlin’” Pouring glass after glass of wine while explaining the details of this particular night.

He had met a woman, a stranger, and had conversation over loads of wine. They soon found out they lived next to each other and happened to have fatefully missed their bus. The jovial Rice scooted closer and closer to the woman on stage, who was visibly affected, and finished off the first bottle of wine while Rice motioned for a second bottle. As he carried on with the story, he proposed a question to the proverbial woman, exposing the unfortunate detail that she had a boyfriend. In dramatic fashion, Rice swaggered and swayed towards the piano, and played the song “Accidental Babies” on the piano. Rice closed out his set with the tune, “Cannonball,” epitomizing the soul of his tortured music, quietly singing his last line of the night, “it’s not hard to grow, when you know that you just don’t know.”

Set List:

Eskimo

Delicate

Elephant

Woman Like A Man

9 Crimes

The Greatest Bastard

Grey Room

Rootless Tree

I Remember

Volcano

When Doves Cry

ENCORE

The Blower’s Daughter

Cheers Darlin’

Accidental Babies

Cannonball
Old 10-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #53
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for sharing that review, I'm so excited for New York next week.

There's lots of videos popping up on youtube. Someone right up front had an amazing camera and caught Cannonball. Oh and he's using the old Lowden!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQpKFhZ_-ao
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #54
beccap42
Eskimo Baby

You guys sound like a bunch of whiny babies. I feel so blessed to even get a chance to see him live at all. I don't understand why you would get on a fan page just to complain about his set list.
beccap42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #55
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccap42 View Post
You guys sound like a bunch of whiny babies. I feel so blessed to even get a chance to see him live at all. I don't understand why you would get on a fan page just to complain about his set list.
It's very much constructive criticism and I think your comment lacks perspective.

However, I'm very glad you enjoyed the concert - seeing him live is always amazing, regardless of the set list.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #56
RenataAQP
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

it's not whinning it's called giving your opinion. I thought it was common sense that the whole point of joining a forum was to exchange points of view...
I personally wish he would play some of the songs from his new album; even if he doesn't i'm sure it will still be an amazing night.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #57
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. My personal one is that not playing new material during these shows is a very strange way to promote the record, but he obviously has his reasons, which I respect. As it's been over 7 years since I saw him last, I will be thrilled with whatever he chooses to play the nights I go.

What I don't understand is why someone would choose to insult others for expressing their opinions on a message board. Can't you see the irony - you are essentially doing the same thing by complaining about what you feel are complaints! Name calling is not nice, either.

I'm glad that you will have or already had the chance to see him.

Cheers
Old 10-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #58
Annaa09
Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno View Post
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. My personal one is that not playing new material during these shows is a very strange way to promote the record, but he obviously has his reasons, which I respect. As it's been over 7 years since I saw him last, I will be thrilled with whatever he chooses to play the nights I go.

What I don't understand is why someone would choose to insult others for expressing their opinions on a message board. Can't you see the irony - you are essentially doing the same thing by complaining about what you feel are complaints! Name calling is not nice, either.

I'm glad that you will have or already had the chance to see him.

Cheers
My exact opinion, dawno! It is indeed ironic... Most of the people who "complained" have been around for quite a few years, it's not exactly "getting on a fan page just to complain" about this one setlist...

I personally can't wait for the Amsterdam concert. I'd love to be able to listen to any of the new songs live because it is VERY exciting to have your favourite artist releasing new material and then touring, even more after all these years we've been waiting for Damien news. It's only natural to crave for new songs. Still grateful to even see him, one thing doesn't contradict the other...!
Annaa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #59
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Last edited by Accidental Baby; 10-09-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: never mind
Accidental Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #60
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
The lights went down and a halo illuminated the stage. Rice grabbed his guitar and immediately plunged into an entirely acoustic version of “Eskimo.” Without amplification, his voice filled the church like gospel and the rapture of Damien Rice had begun.
...man.