Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
UpDaHoops
Eskimo Friend

Anyone goin to see Damien in Vicar St. tomorrow nite you are in for a treat... Damien tonight in the Ulster Hall Belfast was a f**kin joy to behold. I'd honestly say I haven't been so blown away by a live performance since I seen The Pixes live 14 years ago!! Anybody else there what ya reckon??
Old 02-02-2004, 04:40 AM   #2
marymac
Eskimo Regular

I went last night too. Absolutely fantastic!

Haven't seen anybody having so much fun on stage since Witnness. Poor Tomo got bossed about a bit though 'Tomo. SIT'.

Oh. I'm new on here too. Hi.

(edited because I can't spell today...)Edited by: marymac
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Welcome to Eskimo friends Marymac.[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]It's Great that you got to see Damien, cheers[img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #4
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Sounds good, hopefully vicar st will be even better [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 AM   #5
bigmarty2001
Eskimo Baby

Damo, Lisa and the guy's we're really unbelievable last nite,,,,

I've been to the ulster hall , God knows how many times..... but i've never experienced anything quite like it. There was hairs standing on my body in parts they don't usually.... and from the very first song..'The Professor'.... I almost had a tear in my eye....

Iv'e been to many intimate gigs but i've never seen as much connection with the audience in any other gig... You could hear a pin drop because of the attention ..

Damien and Lisa are by far the best two vocal accompaniments in this Island.........

Old 02-02-2004, 09:33 AM   #6
marina
Eskimo Regular

hear hear big marty
Old 02-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #7
eamo rice
Eskimo Baby

hey guys - my first post and im glad its about the Belfast gig. couldnt get tickets for Vicar St like most people so i travelled north. saw Damo a year ago in Olympia and he has improved so so much - more than i thought possible. he has really raised the bar on his own abilities! - the overlaying harmonies on Cold Water (and on Cannonball was it?) were breathtaking in the extreme, his music ability justkeeps growing.all Damo Rice wannabes take note!! must admit, there was a tear in my eye by the end of Cold Water, and it was amazing experience having it sung in the dark - the extended opening was ace too, as was the opening to Volcano. All the songs hit the right note. i think its great that although he's being singing some of these tracks for over two years, he still manages to sing them with the same degree of passion. and the guys really rocked out last nite!! as for Vivienne - WOW! Her little solo was fantastic, her and Lisa should get more spots! my only gripe witht he whole gig was that it was a bit short (1hr40mins!) but moneys-worthw as definitely had. all you lucky people with Vicar St tickets - enjoy!
eamo rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Bumpman

eh... 100 mins, how unusual...

as i say... roll on tuesday
Old 02-03-2004, 03:30 AM   #9
The pine gap
Eskimo Friend

yes it was fantastic wasn't it better than i expected woman like a man was amazing before the gig started i asked to go to the toilet about an hour before and they wereaway down by the stage but i walked in to the concert hall and theywere all standing there on the stage, it was like a dream and some girl was doing ballet in the middle of the floor while damien was doing the blowers daughter, i actually interupted what they were doing and asked the stupidest question "sorry, where's the toilets" and some sound guypointed where they were. it was a fairy tail
Old 02-03-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
marymac
Eskimo Regular

Class.

Does anyone know what it was being recorded for and if its being broadcast or whatever? Someone said it was for Across the Line but I don't think I can stick listening to them long enough to find out.

Part of the shortness of the show was probably because he didn't talk half as much as usual and they got stuck on stage early too.Edited by: marymac
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:17 AM   #11
paudy
prodigal son

i wish i had of been there dam work dam it to hell[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
eamo rice
Eskimo Baby

thats true - there wasnt the usual level of banter. and i realised last night on my way home from uni as i was singing to myself- the overlaid harmonies were on I remember, not cannonball.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #13
half ass heaney
Eskimo Baby

im so happy oh yip yip i am!iits been two days since the belfast concert and im still singin my little heart out!you know i didnt even know bout the gig and my best friend bought me tickets for a surprise!what a amazing present!ive never felt the way i felt on sunday night-alittle bit of heaven on earth was going on in the ulster hall!i cant wait to see him again!woohoo-god im on a high!tee hee.
half ass heaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 02:55 AM   #14
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Can anybody provide a set list? Any 'new' songs played?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #15
eamo rice
Eskimo Baby

roughly:

the professor

Blower's Daughter

Cannonball

Volcano - with extended opening

Cold Water - again with extended opening and ending (although for all i know the opening may have been a different song? didnt recognise the words)

Amie

Prague - with elements of Cheers Darlin

Be My Husband

Seven Nation Army

Eskimo

Woman like a man

Older Chests

encore: delicate

i remember

Get the feeling im leaving out a couple. there was one "new song" that i didnt recognise, but again, it may have been a b-side that im not aware of.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:35 AM   #16
UpDaHoops
Eskimo Friend

The song before Cold Water was a Bell x1 cover ("Eve..."), and there was another one in there somewhere ("Tongue"). I was a bit drunk at the gig but definately don't remember any new songs. I think you have them all there Eamo minus the two Bell x1 covers.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:21 AM   #17
neiller
Eskimo Regular

sounds more or less similar to the vicar st set lists bar one or two,

glad he has brought tongue into the set. 3 out of 3! hopefully the sign of things to come!

it must mean that its a shoe in for the next album??
Old 02-06-2004, 03:40 AM   #18
digsy
Eskimo Regular

are you smokin those johnny jazzers again mate...............no chance tongue on the next album, its far to established as a bellx1 song
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #19
eamo rice
Eskimo Baby

i recognise Tongue now - got a copy of it from a mate in uni. but yeah - no new songs then. thanks for letting me know.