Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-21-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

Default Who is NOT going to shows this tour because of Lisa's absence?

I got tickets to the portland show, and have talked to several people who really think I should see Damien despite Lisa not being there. I am definitely hoping to go to the gig in portland

I know I am not the only person who has debated this idea. After her departure several people acted like it was no big deal, that she wasnt a big part of the band.

So are there any other fans who bought tickets for this U.S. tour but arent going, solely on the basis that lisa wont be there.
cheguevara6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
So are there any other fans who bought tickets for this U.S. tour but arent going, solely on the basis that lisa wont be there.

These wouldn't be fans now would they? Just drop it man. The constant reminder doesn't help to bring her back.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

there were definitely people who said they were not going to shows this tour when the announcement was made of lisa splitting.

So I was just curious as to if people were still sticking to that

You dont think he will have a drop off in attendence? Or at least a small drop off in attendance?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Bumpman

Maybe, but seriously, please stop bringing it up.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Liam 780
Eskimo Friend

I went to the gig just after she left. and i must say i was disapointed.

But hes still good without her
Liam 780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
gorman
Eskimo Baby

I wouldn't have bought the tickets at the outrageous price I paid them, had I known that Lisa would not be part of the Milan show.

If, indeed, the decision has been Damien's, I am sorry to say that you *do not* take decisions like this after you already sold thousands of tickets to fans eager to see you with the usual band.

Last edited by gorman; 04-21-2007 at 05:42 PM.
gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Van Gericke
Eskimo Baby

Hm, Lisa was awesome in Hamburg lasttime, I dont know, if I'm going to the next Hamburg Gig, because of a lack of lisa.
Van Gericke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

oh sorry, didnt mean to ask a legitimate question.

If anyone can point out how I am breaking the rules of the board by asking this question, by all means....

everyone on here knows some people on this board arent going to shows this u.s. tour.

Its funny I get slammed no matter what I say. If I bring up a question I am a jerk, but if I dont say anything I am left in the dark.

Its a legitimate question, and if you dont like the topic, dont post here.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Default leave it alone

There are no rules - just etiquette just common sense.

And since you have chosen to be sarcastic and to confront - particularly bumpman who as one who has been on this site for only a few months but already has realized that bumpman is a huge fan intensely close to this - I figured that I should elaborate.

I would bet my bottom dollar that you - and gorman - are part of the "trophy" gen-ers - those that are used to having everything handed to them on a silver platter and unable to deal with the curves that life throws.

"Life is a progress, and not a station."

Do you think any of us are happy about this? NO. But there is a much larger question than who will attend the NAm tour or your show in Milan. The real question is how are damo and lisa and tomo and all the others around the band doing??? Do you think this is easy on any of them?? That is a much more pertinent question than whether some whining kid wants a refund.

Life is change - and particularly so amongst artists. I am sure you would have been at the front of the refund line on a night when van morrison played only a couple tunes because he didn't feel like playing more.....

Get over it - if you are going to bring that attitude to the shows then we all implore you to stay home. Lisa is out of the band. Period. And the true damo fans would like there to be a positive vibe inside the room as we all know damo feeds off that.

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 04-21-2007 at 09:37 PM.
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

everyone, let it go. stop arguing like kids. if you like damien rice, go see him. lisa's great but it's still the same guy.

now drop it and let's all get along
Old 04-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #11
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

this is a Damien Rice FAN SITE.
The tickets you bought were for Damien Rice.
All the years I have been a Damien Rice Fan and attended his shows, many times Lisa was not there, She was only at one.
If you are not a fan of Damien Rice than you absolutely should not go to his show, it's really pretty simple.

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice

Last edited by julia; 04-22-2007 at 03:45 AM.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #12
mucker
Eskimo Mucker

Default Of course, I'm going to see Damien

As my friend Tom Higgins would say: Mikie, go see the boy. You like him? Go see him.
I'm not going to see a "Show" and all its accompanying particles. (Please, don't take offense, that's so popular these days.)
I wanna go see the boy sing his songs, even if it's just himself, AND a guitar, AND a microphone, and no one else.
I'm good for that.
And if there are a just few candles onstage, and some wanker steals all his guitars, and he would just stand there and sing his heart out, I'm good for that as well.
Go. Enjoy.
I hope you walk out smilin'.
mucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #13
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

i love the fact my original post was in no way angry at damien, in no way confrontational to any fans, but merely a legitimate question.

As I said, anyone who read the posts immediately following lisas departure knows some people said they werent going to attend the shows. I was just following up

Secondly, did I say I wasnt attending the shows? Did I lash out at those attending shows? Did I say I was going to kill myself? No, I asked a question, obviously a touchy subject here.

I am not delving into damiens private life, I am not asking for his cell phone number, I am not rehashing the "did he fire her or did she quit" debate.

I asked a simple question: Are their people here not attending shows because of lisa.

Obviously this question cant be asked without someone suggesting I am not a fan, and that I am the devil incarnate for even considering posting this.

I was wrong. I thought this board was understanding and as a forum was meant for posts to be debatable and controversial and interesting

Sorry honey, I just wasnt up for the "is damien jesus christ" or "is amie the greatest song ever written" posts today.

I wanted to post something I felt was interesting.

Thanks for helping me debate this issue, you all have been most helpful
Old 04-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #14
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia
this is a Damien Rice FAN SITE.
The tickets you bought were for Damien Rice.
All the years I have been a Damien Rice Fan and attended his shows, many times Lisa was not there, She was only at one.
If you are not a fan of Damien Rice than you absolutely should not go to his show, it's really pretty simple.

I never said one word about what your accusing me of, so back off buddy.

And you may have bought the tickets with that knowledge or that intent and many others no doubt did as well, but to suggest ALL people who arent seeing damien because lisa isnt in the band are "nonfans" is stupid and petty. its something teenyboppers would do when discussing Justin or Britney or some other teen idol.

I am a fan just like everyone else and people can say whatever they want and still be a fan. People can say they liked O but hated 9 and still be a fan. They can say they love his acoustic folk but hate the rock stuff and still be a fan, they can say they like him solo but dislike him touring with the band and still be a fan, they can say they liked his stuff in Jupiter and dont like his stuff since and still be a fan.

You all have this narrow definition of being a fan and quite frankly its silly.
Posting on this thread and saying "I think people who are not going to shows because lisa left, I think those people are acting silly", that seems like a fair comment. But to paint all those people as lepers and jerks and idiots deserving of some kind of virtual internet tongue lashing is absurd.

Either your going to the shows, or not going to the shows. I dont care to disparage those who arent going. All I want to know is, did people seem to stick to their initial reaction, or at least the reaction some people on this board had. Thats all.

I am not saying damien is satans spawn for goddsake. I am asking a question. And if people cant ask a simple question, thats sad indeed
Old 04-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #15
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex
There are no rules - just etiquette just common sense.

And since you have chosen to be sarcastic and to confront - particularly bumpman who as one who has been on this site for only a few months but already has realized that bumpman is a huge fan intensely close to this - I figured that I should elaborate.

I would bet my bottom dollar that you - and gorman - are part of the "trophy" gen-ers - those that are used to having everything handed to them on a silver platter and unable to deal with the curves that life throws.

"Life is a progress, and not a station."

Do you think any of us are happy about this? NO. But there is a much larger question than who will attend the NAm tour or your show in Milan. The real question is how are damo and lisa and tomo and all the others around the band doing??? Do you think this is easy on any of them?? That is a much more pertinent question than whether some whining kid wants a refund.

Life is change - and particularly so amongst artists. I am sure you would have been at the front of the refund line on a night when van morrison played only a couple tunes because he didn't feel like playing more.....

Get over it - if you are going to bring that attitude to the shows then we all implore you to stay home. Lisa is out of the band. Period. And the true damo fans would like there to be a positive vibe inside the room as we all know damo feeds off that.

yeah...ummmkayyy... Hate to disagree here but...

I posted on a thread awhile back and we got into discussing personal facts or things that could be deemed personal in relation to the band. So I dont see how you want it buddy.

I posted on here with a legitimate question. No funny buisness. No personal stuff. No "whats vyvienne's cell phone number". and was lashed out at by several people on this thread for even posting a thread like this, where "oh my god, I actually ask something worth discussing that isnt as I said in a previous thread, praising damien for writing the greatest song in history. Which certainly can be discusssed, its just not something I want to discuss.
That said, when I posted and others posted in that personal band stuff thread it was shut down. Now I post on here with a legitimate concern and people ASSUME stuff and then bash me again, for OH MY GOD, for asking "is anyone not attending shows this tour". Wow, I am so sorry for doing that. Its completely wrong of me to ask something that is worth discussing.

If Vyvienne hurt her wrist and didnt and couldnt attend the shows this tour, would that be worth discussing? Would it be worth asking people if they were going to the shows if she wasnt attending? How about if Tomo was hurt and couldnt attend the shows? Is that worth discussing on here?

Its like you cant even bring up shows and lisa and the damien anymore without people acting like teenage losers who think anyone who doesnt think 9 is gods greatest gift to mankind are criminally insane. I love this band, I love the music. Its powerful and incredible, but I dont feel I should have to prove I am a fan or even have to prove anything to anyone when I post on here.

There are other threads to post on, instead of flaming me, why not do that elsewhere
Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 AM   #16
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

lastly whether I go to the concert or not, and for whatever reason I choose, I am not a "non fan" if I dont or anyone else doesnt go to these concerts.

I will continue to be a fan of the band and the music and the videos and such, my membership to this club you all seem to belong to, isnt dependent on concerts attended or not attended.

Plain and simple, I like Damien Rice's music, his words and lyrics and I like all the other elements of the music. I am a fan. Sorry haters!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

im actually with the Topic creator here, dont attack him just because you dont like the question, i myself have had definate second thoughts about seeing damien live after this news, does that make me a bad fan? hell no, your ignorant if you think that damien rice is the whole reason we are here, if viv wasnt at a show i dont know whether id enjoy it much either.

its called a band, i hate when people say stuff like "this is DAMIEN RICE FAN FORUM, real fans go to see HIM". like hell is it, its him AND THE PEOPLE BEHIND HIM that make a show, and make the music.

some of you think that lisa wasnt really an important factor, which is fair enough, but some of us think that lisa's voice was one of the main reasons damiens music is so amazing, open your minds a bit. and stop saying that real fans wont be at all deterred by this situation, damine rice has lost a band member, i know to some of you damien rice doesnt seem to have a band and its just all HIM, but he has, and to ask whether that would affect your willingness to go see a live show is a perfectly legitimiate question in my opinion.

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

i am also with the topic creator on this one. Damien Rice is amazing on his own. But lisa leaving is still a real downer. In time, we'll all have to get used to it. When his next album comes out, and there's no Lisa, we won't feel her absence when they play the new songs live. However, being that they just released an album, and lisa's vocals are a beautiful part of it... (think about her harmonies on the chorus of Coconut Skins, or the fact that the album opens with her singing)... the timing of this whole ordeal is pretty misfortunate.

In my situation, i was blessed to see Damien + Full Band in November and December, and they were the best 2 concerts i've ever seen. When tickets went on sale for local shows, now without Lisa, I was okay passing the shows up this time. Partly its a financial decision. I'm sure the show would be great, but i don't know if it could compare to seeing the whole band (in the tiny El Rey theater) from the FRONT row. That being a hard experience to top, I'm going to wait until he tours again. By then, i'll be so anxious to see him, regardless of who's with him, and hopefully he'll have a handful of new material that i've never seen him play.

but for the record, i think damien is worth seeing no matter who plays with him. I was just lucky enough to get my fill of damien in november + december, while Lisa was still with him. I think i can hold out until next time he tours.
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #19
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

A couple of points, probably won't be a cohesive post though.

1. Asking if people are going to not go to the shows because of Lisa not being there is a reasonable question.

2. Many people are still upset about Lisa's absense and are, therefore, a little sensitive.

3. Anyone asking the question in point 1, should bear point 2 in mind

4. Everyone responding to this thread should also bear point 2 in mind and keep the tone of their posts calm and non-confrontational.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #20
cille
creepycute

^Amen!
That was perfectly cohesive Wheels, why did you fear it wouldn't be?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #21
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

Don't mention the war!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #22
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

If you call debate a bunch of bickering back and forth then "ummmkayyy."

The essence of the question - whether legitimate or not - is confrontational. What was the expectation beyond what has happened here - a bunch of back and forth about Lisa, the band, "true fans" etc etc. I don't see anything productive at all coming out of this.

We all should have listened to bumpman and livo from the get go - let's MOVE ON!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #23
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
lastly whether I go to the concert or not, and for whatever reason I choose, I am not a "non fan" if I dont or anyone else doesnt go to these concerts.

I will continue to be a fan of the band and the music and the videos and such, my membership to this club you all seem to belong to, isnt dependent on concerts attended or not attended.

Plain and simple, I like Damien Rice's music, his words and lyrics and I like all the other elements of the music. I am a fan. Sorry haters!
There are clear forum rules regarding multiple posts. Please just address each "hater" separately within a single post instead of ranting on and on for 4 in a row. Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #24
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
A couple of points, probably won't be a cohesive post though.

1. Asking if people are going to not go to the shows because of Lisa not being there is a reasonable question.

2. Many people are still upset about Lisa's absense and are, therefore, a little sensitive.

3. Anyone asking the question in point 1, should bear point 2 in mind

4. Everyone responding to this thread should also bear point 2 in mind and keep the tone of their posts calm and non-confrontational.
At the same time Wheels the topic has been talked to death and I'd question the need for yet another.

I'm not going to Marley Park, but I was already not going before Lisa's departure.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:59 AM   #25
faninor
Eskimo Friend

With most bands and artists I like, I'm a fan of more than one of the band members.

I have to admit that I was sad that Joel Shearer wasn't playing guitar at the show in San Diego last June, after it was announced that he'd be part of the band lineup for that US tour. Had I known that he wouldn't be there, I still would've gone though (but I would've been less excited about it).

I think Lisa is a great singer so I am slightly less interested (but still interested) in seeing Damien Rice live. Also, I'm not going to any shows on this tour but that is mostly because I don't want to spend the $90 that it would cost for a ticket and transportation right now. I probably would've bought a ticket when they went on sale if I knew Lisa would have been touring (she didn't come with the band to the US a good deal of the time in the past so I figured I would wait and see if a band lineup for the US tour would be announced). When she left the band I decided I'd made the right choice by not buying a ticket... then when I found out that Joel Shearer would be playing guitar at the show I would have gone to, I considered changing my mind and going but decided not to. I am just as much a fan of Damien Rice as I have ever been. It's possible to be a fan and decide not to go for whatever reason, changing the band lineup is no exception.
faninor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #26
Damo fan
Eskimo Baby

I would suggest to anyone who might be thinking that they want to pass on the shows without Lisa that they should go anyway.

The first time I really got to know who Damien Rice Band was they were an outdoor festival in Philly, did almost an acoustic session (I think), and I think all the band was there, including Lisa. I went knowing some other acts that were in the lineup but only had heard Volcano a few times. I was sold, to say the least (it began a obsessive journey with their music.) Her voice did pierce my soul but the music did, too.

Then, the first full DR concert I saw was the US tour when Lisa wasn't on tour with the band (I thought I might be disappointed) and I was completely blow away by the show. I've seen hundreds of live shows in my life and this was a very amazing experience. Damien and the band effectively "became the music" as they do and took us all with them. This was with no drugs or alchohol in my system. It was a music high like no other.

I've seen them twice since with Lisa and those too, were amazing and powerful concerts, equaling the first one I saw with no Lisa.

Don't get me wrong, Lisa's voice and the depth she adds to the band is probably immeasurable. She is surely part angel and I do nearly grieve at times that I will never hear her sing Cold Water or Sleep Don't Weep in concert. The notes she finds soothe my soul like only amazing music can.

But I'll tell you that the concert I saw without her was a spiritual experience as were the ones with her. Don't let your judgement or dismay keep you from enjoying music in a way that is rare. These are very talented and connected musicans, and obviously with Damien the orchestrator, as long as he shows up, your bound for a treat! Go with an open mind and soul, and hold on for a musical journey unlike no other.
Damo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #27
sjps220
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo fan
She is surely part angel and I do nearly grieve at times that I will never hear her sing Cold Water or Sleep Don't Weep in concert. The notes she finds soothe my soul like only amazing music can.

But I'll tell you that the concert I saw without her was a spiritual experience as were the ones with her.
I agree about the first part, and I really hope you're right about the second! I see him in May. I'm still looking forward to it, and I will still go for sure, but at the same time I was quite upset when I heard.

One of my favorite songs at the time that I heard about Lisa was "I Remember", and I kept watching a youtube video online thinking about how amazing it was that I had a chance to see it live. I just don't see how it can ever be recreated without her, and it makes me sooooo sad.

At the same time, I completely respect the fact that musical paths will change. I've always thought of Damien as an under-appreciated artist, which makes Lisa basically off the radar. I think with her talent she should make a run on her own, as sad as that makes me personally.

Sorry, I didn't really get a chance to vent at the time that it happened, so I'm doing it here!

To the OP, I understand what you're saying, and a part of me agrees, but as disappointed as we are, I just don't think we should give up a chance to see Damien.

Last edited by sjps220; 04-24-2007 at 06:48 AM.
sjps220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #28
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

im going still to damien in july in hamburg. yes, it was nice with lisa. but i want to see also him live and his music. im exciting about this gig. :-)
Tinkabell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 PM   #29
rockthesmurf
Friend

After hearing Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan were no longer a musical colaboration I cut my arm off in shock. I am now sueing Damien Rice for one million dollars to reinburse me for lost revenue in my profession as 'man that gets paid to do handstands'. I therefore will not be attending his next show, although I might have beans on toast for tea.

I hope that clears everything up, now everyone can go back to being happy eskimo's, *throws snowball*.

Steve
xo
Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #30
Ligi
Adore Adore

Personally, I think Lisa's voice added an element of softness to his music that was surreal. I love Lisa!

But at the same time, I cant just stop seeing and appreciating his music, because because I love Damien too! So while I am beartbroken that they are no longer playing together, Im not going to stop going to his shows.