Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-05-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Charcoal
Eskimo Regular

Oh fellow eskimos, I popped my Damo cherry tonight and went to my first gig, and I can safely say that it was the best live gig I've seen.

Firstly it was seated, which was great, there was a space at the front and people were sitting on the ground so we plonked ourselves down to the left of the stage. I though Guggenheim was quite good, the sweedish moose crowd were a little, well different... Then on came Damo and co.

My one crib was that I couldn't see Vyv at all where we were sitting, but what of it.

Ok setlist in the order that it was played

1. Delicate
2. Prague
3. Woman Like a Man (was well rockin!)
4. The Blowers Daughter (Lisa & Damo both sang the loathe u bit)
5. Cold Water (with the lights turned off)
6. and that led into Halleluia - u could hear a pin drop, I swear, absolutely amazing!!
7. Tongue
After tongue he told everyone who was going to the loo to hold off if they could and not be putting "bums in peoples faces"
8. (And this was wow) Amie, big mirrorball spining, now here's where ye'll all have to help me out, he started singing something at the end went something like "body just breaking down, walkin out on me, taking your mind off me, you'll find nothing" it could be a juniper song that I'm not familiar with so sorry. The whole amie thing lasted 15 mins and then he went into the chorus of eskimo 9. Eskimo with lisa doing the Finnish Opera bit.
10. Camnonball follwed by thanks to the band, the sound guy, the support etc. etc.
11 The professor, (Lisa sang the La fille danse bit)

Then they went off stage

12.Vyv came back for the encore and did Come Together (wicked)
13. Volcanos (I think the more poppy version)
14. I Remeber Damo told a story about walking home in the rain and eveyone running to their cars and he deciding that rain was his friend and he wrote this song

It was absolutely fan bloody tastic!!! No heckling, great atmosphere, you could hear the tschhh eveytime someone opened a can (thats what they were serving at the bar)

Damo came across as quite nervous when he was talking to the crowd, rushing through it and lots of ahs and ams.

My only quibble would be that I really wanted to hear Then Go, but hey, thats not much to complain about!!!

Sorry for going on so much!!!!!

Please please please please please if anyone has recorded it, I'd really love a copy!!! BTW there was a guy videoing it from the side of the stage!!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] [b]Edited by: Charcoal
Charcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Sounds great Charcoal! Cheers!

I wish people in Dublin could show the same respect. I'd really have loved to have been there!</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Life will never be the same again Charcoal... see any other Eskimos there?
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
digsy
Eskimo Regular

sounds like sexchange, the old juniper song the end of amie. that was a deadly review charcoal
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
Charcoal
Eskimo Regular

I'm new here so I don't know any other eskimos from Galway though I'm sure that they are out there (still on the piss afterwards most likely)

I also meant to add, Damo was getting a great kick out of his effect pedal and the effect mic (excuse the lack of proper technical terms) and was really rockin for loads of the songs, nearly kneeling on the floor at times and strumming his little heart out, I'm surprised his hand didn't fall off. I could see the new album being rocking coz he seems to get a real kick out of playing that sort of stuff live!!

Anyone know if theres an mp3 of tongue going a beggin anywhere?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Charcoal
Eskimo Regular

Thanks Digsy, I'm really exhilerated after the whole experience, it'll take me a while to get over it all!!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

A GALWAY FRIEND! loadsa other eskimos there, me n emmett n fifi nhanna danna
Old 02-05-2004, 07:01 PM   #8
Charcoal
Eskimo Regular

Oh no!!! Your kidding, I thought I was the only one!! I didn't see anyone posting about it!!! What did you think? Where were ye sitting??
Old 02-06-2004, 04:09 AM   #9
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Sounds like an amazing gig, thank god he got some respect from the crowd as he was a little p*ssed off on Monday night and from what people were saying he wasn't too happy on Tuesday either.

Please Damien, ignore the bad bits of the Vicar Street gigs and remember the good moments . . and come back to us soon.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:23 AM   #10
Michelle Joey
Eskimo Psychologist

Doesn't sexchange have a different name too? He sang it on Monday but the setlist has a different name for it? Confused [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Michelle Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 AM   #11
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

The gig was amazing!!My 5th and fave Damo gig!Atmosphere was so much better and he played Delicate!!Got my album signed too thanks to Vyvienne,if i was a lesbian id marry that woman!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #12
administrator
forum administrator

hey. sorry we missed you charcoal. next time! it was great to meet aisling (thanks for helping me find a ticket) and sionna and fiona and hannadanna and ruth. and damien and the band were brill as always!

the galway gig and the vicar st gigs were recorded and will be broadcast on rattlebag on rte radio 1 one day soon.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:07 AM   #13
hannadanna
Eskimo Regular

Got to meet sionna (sorry for the initial confusion!), aisling and of course, emmett! Great to see the faces behind the nicknames - all very nice people. The whole gig was brilliant, been singing prague all day long to myself
hannadanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #14
Lemonhead
Eskimo Regular

aaah!!!! that was amaaaayzing![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]i saw you withruth hannadanna! aah, i'm reeeeally sorry i missed the rest of you guys...[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]*pushes away negative thoughts!* i was the kid who seemed like, 3 feet smaller than everyone else![img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]when he went straight into woman like a man to the blowers daughter i nearly cried, it was soo cool! great crowd, and viviene is one kickass chick![img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img] Edited by: Lemonhead
Old 02-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #15
administrator
forum administrator

aw shame i missed you too lemonhead.

i've been singing prague all day too hannadanna! i love when he plays that live, especially when he gets to the distortiony bit.

and you know when they play delicate and lisa steps back from the microphone and sings the high pitched bit... love that!!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:47 PM   #16
Lemonhead
Eskimo Regular

aah the whole thing was so class![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]i've been singing along to eskimo all day like a total eejit, and yeh get the weirdest looks! hearing vivienne sing was a huge highlight for me, she seemed like she was really enjoying it![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]and of course, halleluiah when everyone went really quiet, it was even cooler then the really dramatic other ways i've heard it being sung...

lalalalaaaaalalala.....[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #17
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

lemon head are you from galway?

Old 02-07-2004, 01:38 PM   #18
gally45
Eskimo Regular

I thought woman like a man was amazing when he was messing around at the start kinda tuning and playing the guitar at the same time sounded deadly, nice to hear tongue but i think i prefer the bell x1 version, overall it was great really good atmosphere and i think they would have played longer only that they had a curfew from the blackbox.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:03 PM   #19
Lemonhead
Eskimo Regular

hey aisling! nope, i'm from ennis... not too far tho![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]sorry i missed you the other night, next time![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #20
Bumpman

perhaps he'll finally realise that dublin, while productive towards the wallet, is also a HOTBED[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] of about 20 bad people that seem to ruin every beautiful gig ever... only gigs in places like longford, kerry and mayo are to be tolerated.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 05:22 AM   #21
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

and galway! everything more often than not runs smoothly in galway!.....mmmm....galway
Old 02-08-2004, 06:33 AM   #22
hannadanna
Eskimo Regular

anyone know how to spell guggenheim? i've done every search under the moon for kevin may, but i can't seem to find the site he kept talking about!

:\
hannadanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #23
Honkycat
Eskimo Baby

..and Belfast!!
Honkycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #24
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

My house, he should play in my house. Some of you can come. In fact all bands that I like should play in my house. I wish I was Henry Mountcharles.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #25
pawla
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannadanna
anyone know how to spell guggenheim? i've done every search under the moon for kevin may, but i can't seem to find the site he kept talking about!

:\

Kevin May is in The Guggenheim Grotto and the Web address is Guggenheimgrotto.com You can even download an EP of theirs for freewhich isamazing valueseen as they are fantastic! I saw them at thefirst vicar street gig and they blew the place away with just the two of them![img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
pawla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #26
Charcoal
Eskimo Regular

Maybe this is a common occurence at Damo's concerts but I was blown away to see Shane using a bow on his bass!!
Old 02-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #27
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Me too!!I'd never seen him do it before.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #28
Carpe Diem
Eskimo Baby

hey all, just joined today an am from galway too was at the gig was sittin rite in front of the stage on the ground it was class it was a killer gig alright and vyvienne was class, if anyone has a recording i'd gladly swap all the recordings i have, which isn't a lot, if anyone has a recording of his concert in bowery in new york in june i'd really like to get that as it was the first damo gig i was at and he played on for ages at the end as it was the last nite of his us tour

And I’ll wait for you if you want me to,
Am I just wasting my time?
And I’ll wait for you if you ask me to,
Am I just losing my mind?
Carpe Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #29
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Welcome Carpe Diem,it was a fantastic gig alright,let me know if u come accross a recording [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 11:24 AM   #30
Bumpman

Shane used the bow on his bass at witnness, i think he always uses it in 'volcano'</font>