Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
rach
Eskimo Baby

hey there anyone goin to the newcastle gig tomo, getting very excited bout it, anyone any idea what songs he's been playing, and how longs he's on, hope its a long time!
rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Get the crowd to sing happy birthday to Lisa.

I swear I have a non stalkerish reason for knowing her birthday.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

What reason is that?
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

And so begins an amazingly long post.

You know how computer RAM is only a 1 or a 0, well its not really. Its a voltage level in a transister, there is a lower threshold which means 0, an upper threshold that means 1 and a gap between the thresholds which is indeterminate. If you just set a the transister and leave it be then the charge might float and what was supposed to be a 0 might become 1 or what might be a 1 might become 0, even worse, you could get an indeterminate which could f**k up the whole thing. To prevent this the RAM cells are refreshed on a regular basis. This only holds true for one type of RAM but I can't remember if its static or dynamic RAM.

I have a fantastic memory for small details especially facts about things I care about, which is basically football and music, I know LOADS about Radiohead (off the top of my head I could tell you what course most of the band studied in college), and I could probably repeat every fact that I've ever heard about Damien and the band that I've found interesting. If I didn't care about the music I'd probably discard them but I do so I don't. But in effect everytime I listen to the music of someone that I like my memory is refreshed like RAM to keep all those useless facts that I've gathered. I've listened to Damien quite a lot so I remember having the following conversation with a friend of mine in school that was also an aquantence of Lisa's that went something like this:

Me: What are you doing this weekend.
Freind: I have to go buy a birthday present.
Me: Oh, whose birthday?
Freind: Lisa Hannigan's its on (whatever day the 12th of february happened to be on that year)
Me: Oh
Me (internal monolog): Thats the 12th, exactly one calender month before mine, thats interesting in a not interesting coincidental sort of way.

So yeah, 99.999999999% that I'm right on this one.

Satisfied Wheels?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Thoroughly [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Dan8859
Eskimo Baby

well, i shouted 'happy birthday lisa' but didn't really get a reaction. mind you, she's so shy i wouldn't really expect much of a reaction.

good gig tho. longest encore i've ever seen. went on for about 55 minutes and included probably 8/9 songs. the crowd didn't talk that much in the middle of songs, it was silent through quite a few of them, so certainly not as bad as glasgow and definitely got our money's worth.
Dan8859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #7
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

If you'ld have gotten the crowd en masse to sing to her you might have gotten a reaction. Possibly the hilarious reaction of "actually its not my birthday".