Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #121
Delonelyman
Eskimo Friend

Here is great review (in spanish) from vía-x an alternative channel from the cable. There are a couple of videos too.

http://www.viax.cl/?p=7316
Delonelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #122
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

Ok guys, here we go!

I'm gonna start telling you from the very beginning... When i got to Santiago. (If you don't wanna read this part, cuz it's about my friend and I, jump to the 2nd parragraph)

At 4:00 pm sharp, we took the bus from Viña del Mar to Santiago. Two hours later we were at the front door of the Teather. We went inside cuz I wanted to see if Damien would be there for the sound check ( I wanted to talk to him before the show) But, no sound at all, so following all the advices you guys gave me, we went to check out all the entries and exits of the Teather to see where could Damien come out after the show... We found only two, the front and the back, so it was more than obvious that Damien would go out from the back....
After that, since there was no movement at all there, we headed to the Hotel Sheraton, where Damien was staying.... after a long walk, we got there and once again... nothing exciting or Damien-ish going on lol....
We were hungry, too excited and thirsty, so we went to chill out a bit in a near restorant, where minutes later the eskimo, Ricardo, "Delonelyman" joined me, my friend and his sister (she went to meet us cuz we were staying at her place at night, and we needed the key )
So! after eating and talking and some pics taken, we finally left for the Teather again!! I was nervous and too excited ! you can't even imagine! we stood there for some minutes and the officers opened the doors to go in!! There were lots of people but it was not full yet. I got to meet other fans and Paula, a friend I had met on facebook some weeks ago, showed up and join us…

AND SO IT IS….. 7 or 5 minutes after 9:30 pm, the show starts!!!!!!!! Everyone on their seats, and the lights starts to go down a bit.. and everybody screams!! … in a few second… Damien appears from the left side of the scenario… and everyone, go CRAZY!!! (including me of course) we were screaming so loud I don’t know how Damien didn’t get scare lol…
He walked straight to the microphone, grabbed his guitar, and trying to hide a smile (cuz I think he was happy from our welcoming) he started playing INSANE right away, no introduction of any kind… The set list went as follow:
1 Insane
2 Older Chest
3 Le Profesor & La fille Dance
4 9 Crimes
5 Amie
6 Coconut Skin
7 Volcano
8 I Remember
9 Rootless Tree
10 The Blowers Daughter
11 Eskimo
12 Elephant
13 Cannonbal
14 Accidental Babies
15 Delicate
16 Cheers Darling
He talked and joked around in between songs, he told lots of stories, some of them about a “penis” where he started: “This is a story about a…..” and a girl screamed… “ME!” and he kindly said: “Do you have a penis??” and well.. everyone laughed….. Other about how he never realized before when he was young where the **** went when you flush it (really weird )… and another one about how when you first start a relationship, when your partner is not home when you call, you ask them, “honey where were you?”… but then when time passes by, you just go….”Where tha hell where you??” haha..

There is a part I didn’t like one bit, and it actually made me feel really bad… not that much at the moment, but now that I have looked at the video, I almost felt like crying… So, this is what happened. Everyone was taking pictures and recording videos, and some people where taking pictures with flashes. Damien has said that he didn’t like to hold onto memories cuz if you do that, then you don’t live the present… and what he was really saying was: stop taking pictures and recording and just enjoy the show… but we just kept on doing our thing, and singing, screaming, taking pics and recording….. and at one point, I was recording with my photo camera… cuz I don’t have a video one, I was holding it very low, it wasn’t up in the air bothering anyone, in fact, it was below my head…. But he kept on looking at everyone, and he looked at me and my friend and said… “so, we still have the cameras going…” with a very weird smile, then he was really serious then smiling and joking again and he said … “this song is about everyone who thought it was important to capture this moment on camera…” then he was really serious again… he goes: “it’s a song about waking up one day , and you are 10 years older than you thought you were”, serious and smiling at the same time… then he goes: “ 10 years before I thought that I would be so much different…. I thought that I would have a lot more courage, I thought I would be more honest, I thought I would be absolutely more comfortable with being myself…” then he said something about the present, on how he was always thinking about “her” or “him” or the future etc… instead of living the moment…. He said that when digital cameras came out he had one and he had hundreds of pictures that he never looked at….. then he told a story about his house being on fire, and that he was happy cuz then he didn’t have to make choices on what memories he had to keep… (like which photograph to keep) … it was a funny story and while he was telling it, he laughed and we all laughed… he started singing Coconut Skins,… flashes kept going.. he was very serious again and I don’t know why.. he kept on looking at MY camara (I was recording.. not taking pics) … and like 10 seconds after he started with the song he looks at my camara and says: “even for one song just put them away….” Then he looks at the rest of the audience and everyone screams and claps…. I had to stop my recording…. I don’t know what other people were doing, but I felt really bad!! Like I was the one bothering him :S It didn’t feel that bad at the time…. But now I can see his face more clearly and he was really pissed  And now I think that maybe he gave us all this clues on how uncomfortable he was and we didn’t get it… so now I feel terrible!!! And I deleted the video… it made me feel aweful…
He also did the Volcano thing on stage, but since he got a little mad about us taking pictures and recording videos, he said: “Everyone who DOESN’T have a camara… come up stage” I was like.. WTF!!!??? I have to admit I was a little mad too…. Cuz he kept going back to the subject about the cameras. But then suddently everyone rushed to the stage and there was no more room in it!! It was fun and funny, but I didn’t enjoy it… at all….

Well…. After a few minutes I decided to forget what had happened and continue to enjoy the show… seems like Damien did the same…. I enjoyed the show with NO camera…. I only turned it on for the last song… Cheers Darling, which I’m really happy I did cuz it was HILARIOUS!!!

Well… the overall of the show… it was AMAZING!!! Even with that incident…..
He was funny, very friendly, he asked us if we had a song request, where we all shouted different things…. He played them… and we were all happy!
I did miss “Then Go” , “Cold Water” and “Woman like a Man” , but the set list was great anyways!!

So, after he said good bye, for the second time, we started going out of the theater and a group of people I had met inside before the show, were planning to stay until he came out, so my friend, Ricardo, Paula and I joined them also…. We waited for like an hour, talking, laughing and telling stories, and when he finally came out, everyone clapped and cheered him and then rushed to talked to him. He was very friendly, always with a smile, before he came out we had agreed not to ask for pictures or autographs, so he wouldn’t feel uncomfortable. Like everyone was around him, I was too far from him to talk to him so.. I said in a loud voice…. That I had a present for Damien, that I needed to go through.. so everyone was very cool and let me go through and I was in front of him! I couldn’t believe it! I try no to shake cuz I was nervous, but I guess I pulled that off really well haha!! Well, anyways, I said hi to him, and told him I had a present for him, something small thou… It was silver colored key holder with the flag and the name of Chile in it, all in a silver color… and in the back it said: “Come Back Soon” I hope he liked it… at least he looked happy I also told him that this tour was a big surprise for us and that we really thank him for coming here. He said: “really?? “ he also said that this was his holidays and that he was only going to make this benefit concert in Brazil, but then he started adding more places for a mini tour haha… he was so cute and really really nice… then I kinda ask for a hug just with body language haha and he gave me a big strong hug like old pals I couldn’t ask for more!!

Well.. that was my whole experience… I was happy and excited, mad, sad, worried and back to happy again!!! I AM STILL IN HEAVEN!!!
Devushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #123
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

Pictures here!!

There u go... i hope u like them! I'm gonna try to upload the video of Cheers Darling, cuz i have the whole thing and it is really funny..... till then..... CHEERS!!!

Last edited by Devushka; 01-30-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #124
verenita
... trusty and true ...

hey, girl! thanks for share ALL the feelings you had (and still have)...
i don´t think it was personal at all... maybe he felt tired about cameras, flashes and all these things, cause the three gigs before. i´m sorry you felt bad.

but, hey... you got a hug! and the most important thing. you felt the magic and you will feel it forever
cheers for that

thanks for the pics. awesome, really!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #125
eskimo_prague
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for the review Devushka! Both your recount of the events, and the great pictures you took, were excellent to read/watch.

I'm sorry about the camera thing. You weren't using a flash, were you? Watching the few videos that have surfaced from the concert in Chile (and like you mentioned), it looks like many people were using flash, so that's probably what bothered him and what drew attention to the use of cameras. I can tell you that many people, even in the front row, were using their cameras at the Mexican concert and he didn't say a thing about it. Not many people used flashes there though, so it might have had something to do with that.

In any case, don't feel bad, his discomfort was most likely not directed towards you personally (he has stated he dislikes cameras in the past), I mean you even got a hug from him, and you gave him your gift So all in all I think it's safe to say that more good than bad came out of the experience, don't you think?

Thanks again!!
eskimo_prague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #126
eskimo_prague
Eskimo Regular

Some excellent videos from the second Mexican date have surfaced on YouTube!!!

Fool

Insane

Volcano (without the sing-along

Amie (with story, tending towards the graphic with a funny use for socks)

Cheers Darlin' (with story)

Woman Like A Man (with story)

9 Crimes

The Blower's Daughter
Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 AM   #127
eskimo_prague
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^Amazing clips, thanks a lot Maybe yoiu could up Acc Babies... well all of them if you can
Accidental Babies will be my next
Old 01-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #128
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

verenita and eskimo_prague ! thanks for your words!! and no, i wasnt using flash.. i did took 4 pics with it almost at the beggining of the show.. and then i stopped cuz 1.- i know it must be really anoying trying to perform the kinda songs Damien sings with 100's of flashes in his face.. and 2.- i hate to take pics with flash in concerts cuz it kills the real lighting of the scenario.. so... i do think he was pissed out at those camera flashes.... but not me.... i just dont know why he kept looking at my lense .... :S and i was just recording when he said that... not even taking a shot.. but oh well.... it is true what u say... more good comes out of this experience than bad.... waaaaaaaaaaaaay more good!!!!! it was just amazing! and having him so close to me in the stage and when i talked to him... it was ... like you say.. magic!!!

here are some pics of me talking to him ... thou... it was really hard for my friend to take these photos... I am the girl in front of him who he is looking at..... and the last pic.. i was by his side and this girl walked in front of him!! arrghhh oh well...

(I can really see now he was paying attention to what I was saying aww haha)

Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #129
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^there you go, girl! i´m, happy for you
Old 01-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #130
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

thank u so much!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #131
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^Great pics & stories Devu!!!! You see, the waiting outside thing always works!

and LOL at the socks bit story from Mexico!!!!!

Last edited by borneoman; 01-30-2009 at 07:02 AM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #132
Larissa
Eskimo Friend

Devushka,

Thank you so much... oh, he seems so happy in the pics... and you got a hug, lucky girl!
I felt really bad about this pic stuff, but actually I think we are gonna have the same situation here in Brazil TONIGHT!
I loved the set list!!
Larissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #133
verenita
... trusty and true ...

brazilian eskimos´turn! have a great night peeps!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #134
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

Devushka, don't worry, it wasn't personal. flashes are really annoying just having them at your side in the audience, imagine what it must feel like up there. the best thing is that it was a great show and you got to meet him! thanks for thepics, they are great.

Brazil, you're up!! have a woderful show, people!!

I just read the San Pablo show is sold out. great! how many people holds that venue?

Last edited by eva_arg; 01-30-2009 at 12:00 PM.
eva_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #135
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

wow. great quality!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #136
Larissa
Eskimo Friend

Hi, eskimofriends!!!
Yeas, the tickets are sold out in Sao Paulo... I checked and almost 1200 people is gonna be there tonight! And I'll be in the second line!!! I am so excited!
Larissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #137
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Default la trastienda: more pics

there´re more pictures at damien´s board.
eva found them. thanks, girl!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #138
fishwife
Eskimo Friend

the cheers darling was hilarious.. almost uncomfortably funny... everybody must have been so surprised with his act...drunk or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hETt...eature=related
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #139
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
the cheers darling was hilarious.. almost uncomfortably funny... everybody must have been so surprised with his act...drunk or not.

hahaha it was the funnies thing ever!!!! and when he started singing and dancing..."im too bootylicious" HAHAHAH!!!

Right now im trying to squeeze the video, cuz it's too heavy to upload, i have it complete, since the very beginning...... so i'll try to post it here when it's done... u'll LOVE it! i'm sure!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #140
Joyful
Eskimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post

I've watched a lot of Cheers Darlings and have sorta grown bored with them, but that was HILARIOUS!!
I love the improv "my body's too bootylicious"
the mined phone call
this MF over here
the ipod not working and starting over.
The mic catching fire

Funny stuff. And again, he seems so happy (and drunk).

Last edited by Joyful; 01-30-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #141
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

LMAO!!! that's the funniest thing ever!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #142
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Omg, craziest Cheers Darlin ever!!!! I thought nothing could beat the Saratoga Winery version but sure this does!!!! LOL at the Bootylicious bit
Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #143
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

fool!!!!
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:46 AM   #144
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Devushka, those photos are amazing!! Thanks for sharing your night with us
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #145
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
Omg, craziest Cheers Darlin ever!!!! I thought nothing could beat the Saratoga Winery version but sure this does!!!! LOL at the Bootylicious bit
I was just thinking the same thing! I love when he sets the mic on fire. Brilliant.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #146
aurora
Eskimo Baby

He didn't play Cold Water????
That's my favourite, I sing it all day...
I missed this concert, but when I see him live (in 10 years... haha) he will sing it!!!

Devushka, greeeat night, great pictures... I wish I was there!
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #147
glo32
Eskimo Regular

no reviews from the brazilian gig?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #148
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

maybe they are still sleeping in brazil?

there's a setlist and photos up on the orkut damien rice brasil site, but i can't understand any of the reviews because i don't speak portuguese well enough.. (i don't want to steal anyone's thunder so i'll wait to see if felipe or gustavo or renny come to post about it)

come back and tell us about the show brazilian eskimos! por favor
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #149
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Judging by all the South American videos, I think Damien should perform on his own more often He's such an entertainer as well as a musician.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #150
tarasova
Eskimo Baby

Default SÃo paulo <3

ok people, I'm gonna tell you guys about the gig in São Paulo but first of all I have to say this: IT WAS CRAZY.

Seriously, I was expecting it to be amazing, but somehow it was so so so much better. Damien opened with The Professor, and then he announced Sand and the crowd started screaming and he was like "WTF how do you know Sand?! It's impossible! IMPOSSIBLE!" (lolz for Damien's portuguese-spanish-thing).

Everybody sang with him, I was sitting on the third row so I could see him perfectly and it was amazing to see how everyone wanted to be there so badly. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact order he sang, but he played Delicate and Amie, and he told a hilarious tale before Amie, then he sand Woman Like a Man and said it was about the same person. He was in a very good mood, and I think he was quite taken aback for the brazilian fans because they are, well, crazy. The proof of this was when he started singing Volcano, and the crowd was singing with him all the time, and then he said "whoa you are very good singers. so far. so you wanna sing? everybody who wants to sing gets up here on stage!" and we went CRAZY. People invaded the stage and he divided us into groups to make a choir-thing with him:

you can see me on the second one!

He also sang Elephant, Rootless Tree, I Remember, Coconut Skinks (with a BE YOURSELF advice-introduction) and, after teaching us a fake-suicide technique to learn the value of life, Cold Water. Then he turned all the mics off and sang Cannonball and left.

He came back to tell us about his "vacation in Brazil" and how he went to the samba and met some brazilian musicians and how he decided to invite Max de Castro to join him and play DESAFINADO. I was so so so pleased to hear him singing Absurd Portuguese! Then he played Blower's Daughter (alone - São Jorge will be perfoming with him in Florianópolis, and Damien is going to appear in São Jorge's gig in Rio.)

The last song was Cheer's Darling; before the show started, someone left him an elephant plushie with a brazilian flag hat in it, and he asked whose gift was it from, and invited the girl on stage to drink some wine with him - BUT SHE DIDN'T DRINK. Damien was all "Oh. SHE DOESN'T DRINK! It's ok. That's a good thing." then he asked one of the bodyguards to pick a couple on the crowd, and opened two bottles of wine to stage his anecdote. They drank them in about three minutes. hahaha

After the show he took his time to say hello and hug some desperate fans (erm) who were waiting for him, and it was quite obvious he hated the whole taking pictures thing, but, all in all, he was very kind.

I'm aware this review is absurd and not coherent at all, but I just wanted to let you guys know how awesome it was! I hope he comes back soon! <3

(I forgot to take my camera, but I'll let you guys know when I find more pics and videos!)

(I tell no lies! THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOMENESS, Damo! <3)

Last edited by tarasova; 01-31-2009 at 03:07 PM.
tarasova is offline   Reply With Quote