Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
PAgirl9
Word painter

Location: Location: Here in front of the computer reading your messages.Where I live: PA,USA
Default Mars

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at
10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at
12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

I found this really interesting and thought I'd share it. Reminds you of those sci-fi movies where there are two moons in the sky.
PAgirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Rovena
This message has been deleted by Rovena.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
dana
Eskimo Regular

That is very cool.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #3
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i remember a year or two ago there were big things about this and it was only a small dot in the sky... hopefully we get a better picture

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

thats so cool its not funny.
this better not be a joke!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

yeah revelate i remember that.. it was scary though, all red and angry up there in the sky!! can't wait to see this, it'll be class. i'm guessing all those times are in american time?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
PAgirl9
Word painter

Location: Location: Here in front of the computer reading your messages.Where I live: PA,USA

yeh, didn't think of that-they probably are american times-this is not a joke.How could you accuse me of such tom-foolery?
PAgirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote