Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 04-17-2004, 09:08 PM   #1
ytz1
Eskimo Baby

Last night, April 17<SUP>th</SUP> 2004, I saw Damien Rice (DR) at the Beacon Theatre in NYC.
The Upper West Side setting of the Beacon allowed perfect comfort for this show. It is a seated and classy setting, making the atmosphere tasteful and not overly rowdy – which is my personal preference for a concert and I believe quite suiting to DR’s style. I remember a few months ago seeing him on The awful Carson Daly show, and thinking how much he stood out. When Carson attempted to interview DR, there was difficulty for Carson to communicate on such an intimate level – Carson is used to shallow screaming.
The entire set up can be defined with one word – “Modesty.” The entire band is in a line, not placing anyone specific in the background or foreground. The drummer was not hiding in the back, but in the front with everyone else.
It is rare to find a performer who is so modest. DR not only communicated to the audience on a very personal level through stories and thoughts that he shared, he also took requests and joked with fans.
The set design was non-existent. In fact, instead of putting up a plain curtain in the background, the stage was left completely open allowing all to be exposed. The feeling was that the band was doing the same – exposing themselves with these intimate songs.
Despite his recent found fame and sold out performances, DR found a way to keep a humble aura on stage. He is grateful to be there, and wants to give as much as he can to the fans. Towards the end of the show he ran off stage to check how much time he has left, because he wanted to fit in as many songs as possible before they had to move on.
His voice was seamless as was the lovely, friendly and sweet Lisa.
I sat right behind the lighting people and was awarded a unique insiders look at the lighting arrangement. The lighting never distracted from the songs, only enhanced it – one song was played completely in the dark – which only DR can get away with without seeming pretentious.
I hope DR continues to perform and exist with such humility.
ytz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

What a lovely post.. You are so right about Damien and the band, and their modesty.. Welcome to the site, and cheers [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:06 AM   #3
EndUvTheWrld
Eskimo Friend

Loved it!! THe show was awesome!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:09 AM   #4
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

That was a pleasant read... very eloquent writing [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img].. and yeah, damien is definitely modest - he stands out in the freezing cold to chat with his fans! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
jimswife
Eskimo Baby

Oh so jealous of you people who got to go to this show. But
great comments, and it sounds like it was an amazing show.
jimswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
Fogerty
Eskimo Baby

I was at this show too. I agree with everything posted above, it was great. In fact, it was so good, I just bought tickets to see him there again on May 3. I'm so excited and I can't wait.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:18 PM   #8
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

where did you get the tickets fogerty?? im in search of some good ones!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #9
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

there are 6 for sale from kevin. check on this board!
Old 04-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
ytz1
Eskimo Baby

Glad some of you enjoyed the post - I actually went back stage after the show - so i was not sure if going again on the 3rd would live up to my high expectations. Although, who knows, and he is worth it! I live near the Beacon, so I was going to stop by and pick up tickets - if they are sold out,one can always get some at the doorthe night of the concert - anyone interested in joining? (sadly, none of my other friends will join me again)

let me know,

ytz1@columbia.edu

ytz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:56 AM   #11
FromAcan
Eskimo Baby

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]I also attended this show, and it was fabulous. Damien was the one person I wanted to see in concert, and I finally got a chance to see him! My boyfriend Matt reccomended him to me back in August, and ever since then I have been a huge fan. The emotion of his music in "O" was demonstrated beautifully in his performance, and Tomo, Lisa, and Viviene made each song complete. The rock-out version of "I Remember" and "Woman Likea Man" along with Damien's explanation of the story behind the E-card on his website added energy and humor to the performance. I would see him a hundred more times, and hopefully I'll be able to![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] Edited by: FromAcan
FromAcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #12
Fogerty
Eskimo Baby

Sorry to take so long to post back. I just go the tickets through ticketmaster. I hate to do it because they charge so much for so-called convenience, but it's just so damn easy to get tickets there. I actually got better ones for the 3rd than I had on the 16th. Later.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:20 PM   #13
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

the only ones i can find on ticketmaster are crap seats tho [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]