Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Default New York, New York (or "Mother Hannigan" p.2)

OK so now that the two nights of NYC Beacon shows are over I thought I'd just post some impressions.

Tuesday night's show:

Fantastic show. Just about everything you could ask for! He opened with WLAM solo. Then was joined by Tomo and Shane for an electric guitar "Insane" as heavy as the boys only gig at Paradiso. The rest of the band joined in next for a great "I Remember". Lots of highlights followed: Cannonball mic-less, The Professor, beautiful extended AB etc.

Tom (Fprefect) came through for us after the gig getting us into the afterparty but this venue has very strict time limits. Almost as soon as Damo came down to greet us they were already talking about almost kicking everyone out. We spoke briefly and he remembered me this time from Hiro afterparty (I'd thought he might've been too drunk to do so).

Speaking of my last band meeting story, you'll recall that there was a moment earlier where Tomo was rightfully concerned about backstage security issues? I'm afraid that this time it was poor Vyv whom I bumped into quite awkwardly alone on the stairs: I was coming down them and she was about to go up. Ladies, picture yourself in a basement at the foot of a stairwell and suddenly a not short pale-ish guy dressed in all black complete with a matrix looking longcoat, and a dark goatee appears looming above you seemingly blocking your exit. Very bad placement and timing for a friendly "how'dyado?" non? I'm convinced it must've scared that lovely lass half to death.

So having been kicked out by security a couple of us waited outside for a bit longer (Damo had said he'd continue our interrupted chatting after a cigarette break-which we found out later he shared with one of our own here) and he came out cheerful as ever when greeting the faithful. I didn't want to take up a lot of his time since it was just him and a pal, so just asked one quick question. That line no one's ever been able to decipher in "Then Go" is "a tinseled deca tree stares blind at me" (a deca tree is one of those kind that has ten trunks). Gave him the happy belated in person and he asked us what we thought of the show, set list etc. Told him how much we loved it mentioned it'd be great to hear "Fool" either the next night or in Philly and he liked the idea saying "Yeah, I can do that". Glorious evening. My friend (a Damo live virgin) and I walked forty blocks talking about how amazing the whole night was.

Wednesday:

Concert two started off well. Glen played almost all the same set but was really on point with several truly hilarious lines in the stories this time. Plus, there was a very brief, yet intriguing opener girl duo named Rising Appalachia. Best of all Mario had come through with fifth row seats for he and I. Amazing view. Just as close as Hiro.

Show started off with a bang. Rockin' very hard (Mario has the setlist) but then I'm sorry to say that things took a very ugly turn audience wise. Some idiot started yelling at Damien to "shut up and play" during an early storytelling moment. Sitting so close I could see him getting quite upset but he kept his cool best he could. Numerous morons continued to rudely yell things loudly after songs had begun and at one point DR stopped in the intro to "9 crimes" right before Lisa was about to sing. Then he kept hitting the same note til it finally quieted down a bit. Then he started over from the top. Yet even after this non-verbal cue people failed to take the hint. Damo looked like he was ready to lose it but to his credit he again showed the misbehaviors what self control was all about and said "I'm going to take a cigarette break" pause "and leave you" pause "with Lisa". She sang the "green your eyes" song from the recent LA show. One of the definite highlights of the evening for me. When Damien returned he repeated the solo singing "Cannonball" without a mic from the night before. This time though it wasn't a sudden impulse. It was clearly a strategic move to quiet the crowd and, I feel, calm and center himself. Wouldn't you know that these jerks still didn't catch on to be silent? It took a barrage of shushing from other crowd members and only then did the night get fully back on track at last. The show was a good fifteen minutes shorter than the night before and I definitely felt it. All was forgiven though with the funniest Cheers Darlin' I've ever seen (well next to Vyv's drunk Hiro rendition). It featured both opening bands and Damo had only the hand mic on him free to act it all out stumbling around "the wedding" I was crying it was so hilarious.

Afterwards we learned that some of the "fans" from the previous night (not Mr. Borland had violated seurity by trying to sneak upstairs to the dresssing rooms and so Tom wasn't able to get us in again. I'd run outside immediately this time to catch Lisa since she had skipped the afterparty the night before. Ironically, this time she was downstairs.

The bad vibe sadly continued. Some drunk as hell dude was trying to force his way through the stage door. Thankfully his friend convinced him to leave before he got beat up or arrested. Security then tried to lie to us and tell us the band had left out the front door many people left then but some of us just sensed that wasn't true. There was a cafe right next to the stagedoor so most of us remainers went in to grab a bite. When I returned I learned that the security people were getting really hostile to the band because they wanted to go home. At one point one of them had started yelling up from the street at the window of the dressing room to curse at them. Keep in mind that we were on a residential street. I was horrified. When the band finally did emerge they were loaded down with carrying their gear and on their way to get into a cab with the meter running and I'm afraid that they had no way of knowing that it wasn't we few fans who had been so awful screaming stuff like "hurry up ****ers" below their window because by then the disgusted guards had taken off. I wasn't about to stop Lisa then to tell her how much I loved her new songs. That was the single reason I'd hung around so long this time and in case Mother Hannigan is reading this please send your wonderful daughter that message along with my deepest apologies for the rudeness they all endured that night. It was disgraceful in my opinion.

Damien is such a nice guy. Even after all the unpleasantness of that night, he held the door for his bandmates and then, despite his manager urging him to just go straight into their cab, stayed and chatted for a couple of minutes and gave us all hugs. I apologized to him for all the rudeness of the crowd but informed him that I wasn't the guy who kept yelling out for "Fool" during the show. He said "Oh yes, I'm sorry I forgot to play that for you tonight." I said "Don't worry about it, either Philly show is fine." He was puzzled 'til his manager replied "XPN".

They went to the cab and a very nice chap who I'd met the night before gave me a 20 block lift. As we were driving down the road he said "hey, you know that's them next to us?' I looked over and sure enough it was Mr. Rice in his cab. Damo and I rolled down our windows and smiling he pointed and joked "I've got my eye on you!". my reply was the mock serious "Quit stalking me!" Laughing and waving to each other; just then our cars hit Broadway's veering off point.

Last edited by Spamlet; 12-15-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
lilia
la fille eskimo

Wow again an amazing story !!!!
It's funny cause when I read you, it seems to be so easy to just chat up with them. You are really lucky.
But I really cant undrestand how rude some people are!!!!! What's the point of going to a gig if you missrespect the artist? Leave tickets to reel fans who will deeply appreciate the moment.

Anyway, damo and the whole band are sweethearts!! I hope the same kind of story will happen to me when they will be in Paris or Lille (but I'm pretty sure they won't remember us from this summer).

Looking forward the next episode in Philly!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
cille
creepycute

Another great tale (tail? ) from you, Spamster! Enjoyed it very much, thanks!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Nice story, maybe i can have a chat in Brussels next year. At least i'll try!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

great story...and good job of throwing in that one last "you can play fool in philly"... i think a lot of us are dying to hear 'fool'!

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Great story!!!

I'm still amazed at how 'relatively easy' is it for you to meet Damien... it has never worked for me... I wouldn't probably know what to say anyway...

Do u have the setlist for the 2nd night? No one has posted it yet...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

I think if I were Damien I'd be a bit scared of you, Spam.
Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
When I returned I learned that the security people were getting really hostile to the band because they wanted to go home. At one point one of them had started yelling up from the street at the window of the dressing room to curse at them.
This is completely uncalled for! Those f*ckers are real low-lifes for being so disrespectful. God damn, just because you failed to earn a highschool diploma and have the sudden urge to go home and do a few lines of cocaine does not mean you can be a f*ckin' prick!

You know, hat's off to Damien and co. for keepin' their cool. I don't know how they did it, but that's definitely an amazing display of self-control. And in regards to the idiots yelling during songs, do us all a favor and keep your money to yourself! I really hate being next to some tone-deaf drunk bastard while trying to absorb everything about Damo's performance. There was this 40-something guy sitting next to me at the Oakland show and out of nowhere, he would try singing a few falsetto parts during Damien or Lisa's verse. What are you thinking? Shut the hell up and stay home if you know you can't control yourself.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #9
FireDancer79
The Girl That Does Yoga

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
This is completely uncalled for! Those f*ckers are real low-lifes for being so disrespectful. God damn, just because you failed to earn a highschool diploma and have the sudden urge to go home and do a few lines of cocaine does not mean you can be a f*ckin' prick!
Considering you were not there, you may want to stop insulting people you don't know. The guy he was talking about is actually one of the friendliest security guards I've ever dealt with. The poor guy had to get up in just a few hours to work another show and was eager to get home to his baby daughter... ****ers, "low-lifes", cocaine? Geez, I thought this was a nice board...

Cheers!

Last edited by FireDancer79; 12-16-2006 at 06:20 PM.
FireDancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer79
Considering you were not there, you may want to stop insulting people you don't know. The guy he was talking about is actually one of the friendliest security guards I've ever dealt with. The poor guy had to get up in just a few hours to work another show and was eager to get home to his baby daughter... ****ers, "low-lifes", cocaine? Geez, I thought this was a nice board...
Look, I was never claiming to be at this show. This is a horrible start to your conversation and definitely lacks proper backing. That's like saying, "FireDancer79, what do you think about the war in Iraq? Oh wait, you've never been there, so I guess your opinion doesn't matter given that you have absolutely zero first-hand experience of the crisis." This is a forum, a place of conversation and opinions, don't get angry if you have a different view on things.

Now see here, I agree with you on the fact that it really sucks to be working a gig late night only to realize that you have to get up in the mornin' for another previously scheduled arrangement. However, that gives no one the right to call the band "f*ckers," especially when concerning Damien. He and his crew were hired for the sole reason of protecting these fine performers and yelling obscenities from the city streets up to their dressing room is not only an idiocy in itself, but more so bringing attention to where the band is located in case someone wanted to harm them. Now the latter is quite the exaggerated point because why would anyone want to harm Damien?

I've had a few run-ins with these guys myself and they haven't been the best of events. By the way, no matter what you knew of this particular security guard, claiming that he was nice even after he was so rude is like allowing a fox who claims he's a vegetarian to flock with your sheep. Probably not the best of analogies but does that make sense? And yes, this is definitely a nice forum and I must admit that the group atmosphere is absolutely amazing, but don't try and single me out just cuz YOU were there. Spamlet painted such a detailed painting of the events that occured that I knew this guy was in the wrong.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #11
FireDancer79
The Girl That Does Yoga

I stand by what I said.

Cheers!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
MertWindu
Horrible Timing Eskimo

Wow. Everyone needs to calm down. No one's been hurt, no punches were thrown, and fighting on a Damien Rice message board seems more than a little out of order. As Conan says (and has been quoted on this board somewhere I believe), "be cool, my babies!"
MertWindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #13
FireDancer79
The Girl That Does Yoga

I am quite calm.

Cheers!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #14
Nine
Inuit

oh spammy you're such a lucky little sh*t.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:21 PM   #15
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm not worried about it.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:24 AM   #16
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

Ah Spamlet..you're so lucky to have Damien as a "friend"
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:36 AM   #17
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

philly...no fool...
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:54 AM   #18
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

Spamlet- your recap was great - I went both nights (thanks to dylanfan- thanks again for the tickets)- and Fool is one of my favorite songs- my friend said Damien would never play it and (jokingly) that he probably didnt even remember it-

After he didnt play it the 1st night I bet my friend that somehow he would during the 2nd concert- unfortunately it didnt happen but its pretty funny that you got to ask him for it- it wouldve been amazing if he had just played it out of nowhere on wednesday-

my friend did yell for him to play it - but only one time (so I hope that we werent the ones who you referred to when you told damien you werent the guy screaming for Fool)- I generally dont like people doing that (and couldnt bring myself to) but he gave it a shot

glad everybody enjoyed the shows -
nyrice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:46 AM   #19
Ion Ashes
Eskimo Baby

Great story!!!
Ion Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #20
simog
Born an Eskimo

Spamlet - you tell a very good story and you are a luck, luck man.
simog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #21
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

I don't know how I'd feel if I was Damien. You know, everything you do, everything you say when you're chatting with this guy is reported the next day on this board. I know you're being proud of these experiences you shared with him but, well, admit it's a little bit freaky.

Man An Ocean
DRQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #22
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRQuebec
I don't know how I'd feel if I was Damien. You know, everything you do, everything you say when you're chatting with this guy is reported the next day on this board. I know you're being proud of these experiences you shared with him but, well, admit it's a little bit freaky.
Exactly. Spam strikes me as someone who's gone beyond "fandom" and moved into the obsessive catagory. Freaky indeed.

Last edited by Sniffer; 12-17-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #23
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniffer
Exactly. Spam strikes me assomeone who's gone beyond "fandom" and moved into the obsessive catagory. Freaky indeed.
It's not stalking, it's quietly following!
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #24
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
Didn't use the word stalking (yet) but does his following not seem obsessive?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #25
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniffer
Didn't use the word stalking (yet) but does his following not seem obsessive?
Not particularly. A lot of fans do it. I too, would like to meet Damien one day and have a little chinwag
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #26
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
You call it stalking, I call it courting. The restraining order says "no, no" but his eyes say "yes, yes"!!
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #27
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

That's just being a huge fan!!

BJORK has had a couple of hardcore stalkers. One guy flew all the way to Iceland, went to her parents house, broke in and slpet in Bjork's bed!!!!! That's stalking to me!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #28
shard
Eskimo Friend

great story spamlet, thanks for sharing
shard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #29
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
You call it stalking, I call it courting. The restraining order says "no, no" but his eyes say "yes, yes"!!
haha!

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #30
Timeé
Intello

spamlet does a better review/story than any magazine or newspaper i have ever read.

someone get the guy an extra job.

oii hotpress yas ****heads
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote