Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 07-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
netheredgeman
Eskimo Regular

Here’s something to cast your collective mind over following on from other threads on similar topics over previous days

I have a dear friend who thinks that she's unable to have a relationship because she over feels everything and gets hurt very easily. She feels as though she should give up completely, friendship is perfect and sex isn't that good anyway also she has no self-confidence and ends up fishing for compliments which she doesn't believe in the end. Is she normal or will she have to live on anti depressants all her life just to get through?

This predicament is a bit touchy, as my friend doesn’t really know how to cope with her current situation. Any help and advice would be appreciated – as an ‘older’ inhabitant of the igloo I’m not too sure how to broach or solve the problem. Any suggestions on a solution to this conundrum appreciated

netheredgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
pamela
Eskimo Regular

if she aint happy she should definately get away from this person
Old 07-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Louise
Eskimo Regular

the answer is she is normal. Totally normal.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

Your friend sounds like someone I know.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Louise
Eskimo Regular

your friend sounds like someone everyone knows.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
rudy
Eskimo Regular

she´s normal but for the sex part.
rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I say gently encourage her to see a therapist...she's not going to change her perspective unless she wants to, though. Sometimes it takes a few friends suggesting it for it to sink infor her to decide that she wants to improve her confidence and be happier.
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
pamela
Eskimo Regular

i must've read it wrong .oops!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Glttr Grl is right i was thinking that, with sum1 with such a low opinion of them selves they will end up getting depressed, try od'ing self harm etc, that is if its left undetected i wud strongly advise they seek help it gets rid of alot of hurt and upset the sooner they do.

(I dnt want ppl to start writing that wat i just wrote i total sh*te cuz it and its very much true in my life and by saying wat i sed is sh*te is the worst thing u cud do cuz those ppl i am tlkn bout went thru so much pain with the way they were, and so did i go thru so much pain trying to help them and walk in on 1 of them whilst cutting so say nothing)
Old 07-07-2004, 02:50 AM   #10
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Miss Pink- not sh*te, very wise words actually.

Richard- your friend does sound like she has low self-esteem and if she is a sensitive person and has been hurt before it may be wise for her to take a break from "relationships" for awhile. This may especially true if she has been physically or sexually abused in the past, which sounds possible to me. She sounds like she's asking for friendship only. Maybe what she really needs right now is true, supportive friends- like you.

I would agree with Valerie, to gently encourage her to see a therapist, because like Miss Pink said if there is no intervention her condition could worsen. And maybe she will have to be on anti-depressants her whole life. Some people are actually biologically hard-wired for depression (chemical imbalances in serotonin, dopamine, etc., synapses don't trigger as they should) but if there is a trauma or other event that sets it off the depression will worsen, and sometimes medication is the best approach. Along with therapy and a good support network of family and friends (hopefully).

Just be there for her right now and don't push her. Sometimes it can take years for people to overcome trauma and what seems insignificant to some can be devastating to the person experiencing it. Allow her time to grieve and regain her strength and sense of self. With friends like you she should be doing better in no time. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

(okay I'm off the clock now)
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote