Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 05-09-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
sml42
Eskimo Friend

Hi,

Someone was asking about direct connect hubs earlier.

I've taken it upon myself to start a direct connect hub, for trading live Damien Rice material. If you're familiar with direct connect, the hub address is dchub://damohub.org ; if you're not familiar with direct connect... go look at the website on http://www.damohub.org/ , that should tell you all you need to know about connecting!

Come join, come play!

best regards,
stephen
sml42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
Bluto11
Eskimo Baby

i tired connecting and then I followed the FAQs on the board. Do i have to share something right away?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:48 AM   #3
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

I am in there right now!

Thanks.
thierryhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Bluto11
Eskimo Baby

I connected with a different program, thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
sml42
Eskimo Friend

Unlike many hubs, there is no minimum share. Of course, if you DO have some Damien material, you are encouraged to share it [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Currently, I'm sharing a lot of shows on the hub... that's currently putting a lot of pressure on me, but things will only improve as we get more users, and the shows start to spread more. I know you're all used to instant gratification [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img], but please be patient... leave your computer connected, queue up some shows... ask for a slot... and sit back and relax! Hang out, chat, chill... we want this to be a fun hub!

best regards,
stephen
Old 05-10-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Bump for everyone.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:49 PM   #7
Bluto11
Eskimo Baby

can you share .wav files?

and i can't check anyone's file list

Old 05-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
sml42
Eskimo Friend

We would rather you didn't share .wav files. Basically, because they are just so damned huge. If everyone was lucky enough to be on, say, a T3 (I wish [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]) then that would be cool... but most people are connected via cable or DSL, and it's just not fair on people, to force them to download .wav when perfectly good compressed versions exist (shn/flac).

And speaking of wav vs. shn/flac... several people have been asking questions along the lines of "I originally downloaded shn/flac, and burned this as an audio CD... can I rip/recompress and share that here?" In general, the answer is NO, unless you know exactly what you are doing, for the following reasons:
1) ripping the audio CD may introduce errors
2) unless you use EXACTLY the same version of the compression tools with EXACTLY the same settings... the resulting shn/flac files may have slightly different sizes. One nice feature of direct connect, is it allows you to download from a show from several users (if they are sharing the show, of course!)... by having what is effectively different copies of the files... you defeat this great feature [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img].

Finally... if you cannot check anyone's file list... it is most likely you are behind a firewall/router. You will need to either setup your router correctly / poke a hole in your firewall, or else switch to passive mode. Read more about this in the faq, here --> http://www.damohub.org/faq.html

best regards,
stephen
Old 05-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

This Hub is just another example for narrow-minded traders.

I just was kicked because i distributed my OWN recording of 07-03 in both FLAC and MP3 format.

I was just pm'd that i have to remove all MP3 recordings. when i replied that i distrubute my own recordings in whatever format i like i just got kicked.

that's a good way to start a respectfull sharing community, eh.

Then i forbid my recording of 07-03-2004 to be shared there as well, for i dont want to be part of any dorks rules. -> you see what happens when stupid rules are made.

As long as one respects the whiches of other tapers not to convert their recordings to MP3 (for what reasons whatsoever)i think its ok - but as a general rule this is just stupid and arrogant.

with that attitude i dont wonder why people keep their recordings to themself.

I am in no need of the HUB, just wanted to share my recordings (60+) with others who appreciate the music as well..Edited by: Chrysler
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #10
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Chrysler, if you do a search on Mp3 in this forum you will find the debate on this compression scheme debated ad nauseam. Since you are the taper you have every right to trade in whatever format you want. However, most serious traders won't touch it in that format nor will any warehouse/filesharing sites and there are valid reasons why. If thats the hub rules, you gotta respect it. If you don't like it, create your own hub for mp3s of shows YOU recorded. There is obviously a demand for that format.
Cheers
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:02 PM   #11
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Chrysler, they have rules, and the rules are no mp3's! If you have mp3's (which you probably do) just remove them and share the FLAC's it's simple really.

You see like a cool guy Chrysler after talking to you on the Hub and stuff, I know the Radiohead Hub are real sticklers on this, I'd love to hear your recording in both FLAC and mp3, and I'm sure there is an easy way of achieveing this. Please don't be shunned, other Hub's (like Radiohead and Pixies) are HUGE, about 100-150 people on all the time, I think that's all Steven is trying to achieve, by being kind and such, just follow the rules, and we can all be cool. Thanks for taping..Come back.Edited by: thierryhenry
Old 05-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #12
sml42
Eskimo Friend

Hi Chrysler,

I don't want to discuss the relative merits of mp3 vs shn/flac - that has been debated too many times already, there is no point in re-hashing it.

I don't want to discuss why mp3 is an unacceptable format for trading - that too has been debated too many times already.

I don't even want to get into a public argument at all, since that can't possibly do anyone any good.

What I DO want, is to contact you, and to discuss this in private. I believe we can work this out, and I'd like to publically invite you to contact me. Either PM me here or (preferable) email: stephen@damohub.org

For now, I have unshared your 2004-03-07 show, and we will monitor the hub to make sure no-one else shares it. One of our rules, is: respect the traders' wishes (http://www.damohub.org/rules.html).

best regards,
stephen
Old 05-19-2004, 07:03 PM   #13
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Stephenthis hub of yours. Can you access it thought DC++? I use DC++ regularly, although not in a while because of college.

How do you go about setting up your own hub? I imagined it would be very expesive. Is that the case?

I presume you dont have restictions to entry like share size limits etc?

edit: Ignore that. I just read the website and see the answer in the first few lines! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:29 PM   #14
sml42
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daol20
How do you go about setting up your own hub? I imagined it would be very expesive. Is that the case?
Well, the minimum requirement is a computer which is on permanently and a reliable permanent internet connection.

If any aspect of your setup is not reliable, then every time you crash - you will lose your users. Many will never reconnect (true life example: the Coldplay hub had terrible reliability problems earlier this year... they pretty much lost all their users).

In my case, I'm on a business-grade DSL connection (no domestic tariff for me, the QoS/support is not good enough). I have a totally unrestricted internet connection, uncapped up/down, high quality tech support, a static ip address, and connection uptime measured in months. Do I pay more than for a bog-standard domestic DSL service? Damn right I do.

I bought a DSL modem, but that was unreliable - it would crash once every 20 days or so. That may not sound much - but imagine losing ALL your users every 20 days... you would almost be starting from scratch every 3 weeks! So, I bought a (better, more expensive) DSL router, with a significantly more flexible configuration. I'm now totally static from end-end: static IP address, no dhcp on the router, fully static routing, and static ip addresses on my internal network.

The domain is registered via a competent and reliable registrar. My dns is served by a competent and reliable isp; my connection is served by another competent and reliable isp. It has taken me years to find these people.

I have a backup server: if the hub crashes, or if I need to take my main server down for maintenance, I can seamlessly switch to the backup server.

For reliability and security, I run opendchub in a chroot jail on a linux server. I sysadmin my own machines; I sysadmin my own firewall and router. The hub bots are basically written by myself, although there are many bots you can drop in place.

The only thing I have not yet got, is a UPS. I will be choosing and buying one of these within the next few weeks... when I install it, thanks to the backup hub, the downtime will be measured in seconds.

Yes you can run a hub on less. No it will not be as reliable. I've taken the time and effort to set up my hub to be as reliable as I know how; I would expect nothing less from anyone else. Reliability costs.

Now... you have a reliable hub, you need to run it. You need to advertise the hub; you need to encourage people to come and share material. You probably want a website; you will probably have to design this yourself. You will want to spend a LOT of your own time on the hub, speaking with new users and talking them through any technical problems they may have. It is not physically possible for you to be present 24x7; you will need other help. On my hub, I have as Ops some good friends covering the US east and west coast, and europe... i.e. most timezones.

When advertising, be discrete and polite. If you advertise in a very public place... expect a lot of users to come... sharing all manner of rubbish. Stick to the fansites / MBs and word of mouth to ensure high quality material is shared. Be an active trader; speak with the tapers.

Be prepared to put in a LOT of effort. I have, and it feels wonderful :-D

best regards,
stephen
Old 05-20-2004, 03:35 AM   #15
cnpubwear
Eskimo Regular

and we appreciate it.
cnpubwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:09 AM   #16
slein
Le Friophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml42
Hi Chrysler,

For now, I have unshared your 2004-03-07 show, and we will monitor the hub to make sure no-one else shares it. One of our rules, is: respect the traders' wishes (http://www.damohub.org/rules.html).

best regards,
stephen
since we cant share chrysler's version of the march 7, 2004 concert anymore, why dont we spread the other source, which is even of better quality anyway. still cant believe there are two different sources OTHER THAN MINE that i could choose from when i screw up taping [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
three people taping in a 200 person venue...
slein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:07 PM   #17
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Stephen, i use DC++ for
downloading other material, and a restriction to most hubs is a min
share size etc. To get to these limits i needed to share all my folders
containing music. Some of which are not allowed in your site. Does this
mean i have to unshare specfic folders to connect to your site, and
reshare them to get to others? Also,

<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">
"connection refused by target machine"</span> keeps popping up when i try to connect.</span>

To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:41 PM   #18
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

hey this doesn't work for me i have D++ but i try to put in dchub://damohub.org and it doesn't work!!
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:06 AM   #19
sml42
Eskimo Friend

Hi,

mestonf: try dropping the "dchub://"... just enter "damohub.org" in the manual connect box. Does that work?

daol20: check your PM

best regards,
stephen
Old 06-07-2004, 10:23 AM   #20
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

ok cheers stephen will try when i get home....thanks
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote