Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
administrator
forum administrator

Default Posting about Damien's personal life

I know some people are upset that I have deleted some threads about Damien's personal life, but no, it wasn't without warning.

I've said all along that I will remove anything posted about the private lives of Damien or other members of the band.

If that's what you want to do then there are other damien rice forums that are less moderated that you can visit instead.

And just because something is written about in some horrible newspapers or gossip magazines doesn't automatically make it a fair topic for discussion here.

That's something that's not going to change here.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Old 03-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
cille
creepycute

word, emmett! velvety fist in an iron glove.. or is it the other way round?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

fair play emmett!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

fair play!
4 drinks down and i just don't care,
5 in the morning,
6 stories up looking down,
7 still fighting,
8 times around but this time i wont drown!

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Old 03-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

completely agree
Old 03-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
hazey
Draper's Girl Friday

Oh, I had no idea that was a no-go area on the forum. Just thought folks might be interested... ok then, I am hereby notified. Will behave in the future.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Bumpman

hooray for emmett (and section 8 - part 1 of the european convention on human rights)
Old 03-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #9
*Killian*
If Carlsberg Did Eskimos

well said emmett
Old 03-12-2005, 07:59 PM   #10
hannahjane
Eskimo Friend

Sorry if this comes across as a bit rude, cheeky, whatever - and I'm in no way disgruntled about the removing of the Renée thread, it doesn't bother me at all...but for someone is taking the running of the forum 'seriously', not many measures are being implemented to sustain a professional standard of order.

Don't get me wrong emmett, your site is brilliant - and the forum looks good, with your fancy packaging and all that; but to be honest, it's not all that impressive. It's not really managed is it? Members are allowed to start threads over the smallest, minutest things which, in my humble opinion, are hardly thread worthy at all! These threads usually consist of a meagre question or statement, and incite about 2 replies before the thread dwindles and dies. There's a considerable number of them - and with all due respect - it's these pathetic mini un threads that are pointless and clogging up your server rather than the ones you seem to be deleting. Where's your moderation?

Threads are constantly off-topic too; it seems no regulations are in place, to deter this wandering - which means threads are 'slap-dash', and a sort of 'free-for-all', if you will. It's a shame because it demeans the forum as a whole. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but content wise I'm not sure its' too advanced. For this forum to really progress, threads and topics need to be managed in an effective manner. For example, this post is being posted in the DAMIEN RICE forum section if I'm not mistaken - if the forum was managed properly, I would be warned for posting a completely irrelevant-to-damien post; scorned for going off topic (I'm aware that somebody probably will now in a sarcastic reaction!).

In conclusion, the site is great - the best Damo one out there; but the forum I feel is too unorganised to gain real credibility. Thus, I don't know whether I'll be sticking around much longer - even though the members seem nice enough I don't mean to offend, emmett, merely offering some constructive criticism (which I hope you'll be willing to take on board...)
Old 03-12-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahjane
... the forum I feel is too unorganised to gain real credibility. Thus, I don't know whether I'll be sticking around much longer
Bye!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

HannahJane... This topic does relate to Damien... and specifically to what people can post about Damien...

People are allowed the freedom to post anything they want unless it is directly against some simple standards of decency... and that includes avoiding Damien's private life.

The small threads do not clog the server. The problem is when LARGE threads are opened as this uses a lot of processor power... the problem is not with having a large number of posts in the archive.

Finally, most of those wandering threads are in the 'Everything Else' forum... just avoid that section if you don't like it.

You are saying there isn't enough control over the forums... a few others are leaving because they feel it is too strict (how they can feel this is beyond me)... I think I and the majority of others feel the balance is just right.

There is a really good community of decent people here who would do anything to help one another. If you don't want to be a part of that...

Old 03-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
Mario
Eskimo Regular

This is flat out silly.

You can't read "Tender is the Night" w/o understanding Francis' and Zelda's personal lives when it was written.

If you've read Dylan's Chronicles Vol 1, you know that most of his songs are prompted by specific events in his life (some random, others more significant).

There is no doubt that Damien's music is inextricably linked to his life/emotions. Therefore, to discuss his music, you need the background/frame of reference for the time period the song was written.

Censoring such discussions not only screw with interpretting the music today, but stifles our ability five years from now, to figure out what a song is about.

Last, whats the line here? What if Rolling Stone writes an article next month which lists a few titles for new songs, and also speculates about Lisa and Glen. Are you going to post the article, but redact any reference to Lisa's personal life? What if Damien does an interview and acknowledges who he is now dating. Does that open the door to the conversation for the rest of us? What if Tomo does the interview that acknowledges Damien is dating Renee? What if Jonathon does it? What if Rene's publicist does it? Where's the line?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #14
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
What if Damien does an interview and acknowledges who he is now dating. Does that open the door to the conversation for the rest of us? What if Tomo does the interview that acknowledges Damien is dating Renee? What if Jonathon does it? What if Rene's publicist does it? Where's the line?
None of them HAVE Mario...

As for the need to discuss key events to understand the music... that has never been blocked... as long as Damien has told the story. Anything else is speculation and does not give you any insight.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #15
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
None of them HAVE Mario...

As for the need to discuss key events to understand the music... that has never been blocked... as long as Damien has told the story. Anything else is speculation and does not give you any insight.
Spare me, he was her date to the Oscars.

If I start a thread right now explaining to everyone who the Blower's Daughter really is, it'd be deleted in a heartbeat. Yet thats vital to understanding about 4 of Damien's songs. Damien doesn't publish the song lyrics because he wants people to interpret the songs, not have him explain it to them.

So, the rule is unless Damien said it himself? So does this mean we need an audio recording of it? Or is it okay if he's quoted in the newspaper? What if he tells his accountant? What if Damien tells his barber, who tells his niece and she posts it? Again, where's the line?

And what happens when Damien tells completely different stories about the same song? Can we discuss all his "explanations" or none of them, since its only speculative as to which one is actually true?

People are able to judge credibility for themselves.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #16
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

i think what we should agree to, in regards the personal life of the band, is that unless that we no it for definite, dont talk about it.....thats not saying that we cant say "ohh i heard they are playing this place in 3 weeks" its just that i dont really want to hear that "EXTRA EXTRA LISA HANNIGAN AND MARS ALIEN HAVE BABIES" thats the sort of thing thats not welcome here, like i opened up the Irish times magazine and in the "hot or not" bit of it Damien and Reneé were in it and they were "HOT" .

im sorry but poor Damien, do we really need to know? and his parents and family and close friends are gonna see that, and they must think"god can our son not get some personal space?"

Enough is enough, he gave us his soul to listen to in "O" and poured out his heat in all the gigs and "new songs".....like its come to the stage when we're gonna be hearing things like "Tommo buys sock from Penney's....whilst Lisa is getting baby clothes for her alien child" (ok maybe im just exaggerating a tiny tad ) But i say give them space, all of them..... they are old human, and how would u feel if i wrote every day in a tabloid that u were going out with some 1 new ever day, or wake up to hear that your relationship was about to break up in "show biz gossip" part of ur morning radio station? Ud hate it, i no i would.

Just leave them alone and Emmett, i agree with u totally, keep up the good work and dont slave over the igloo instead of studying for college..... and go but some nice stuff......I hear Anna Sui does nice perfume........what that 1 called again ??? Oh yes Sui Dreams. lol

(i had a long rant)

Last edited by Miss Pink; 03-12-2005 at 09:41 PM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 03-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #17
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:

People are able to judge credibility for themselves.
i agree with mario. not because i have a burning desire to gossip about damien's personal life because i don't. i've just always been against censorship in any form. i don't like the information i receive to be filtered and i don't like my own thoughts or opinions to be censored.

i also agree with hannahjane...

but please don't take this as a personal rebellion against the status quo because it's just one individual (me) stating an opinion. which should be allowed (welcomed?) in an open, accepting community such as this one...
Old 03-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #18
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Spare me, he was her date to the Oscars.
Not true Mario... and I think that proves my point.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:19 AM   #19
Rovena
what will you say?

I am completely against any kind of cersoship,and although I believe that every person should be able to choose whether or not they want to participate in threads concerning Damien's private life and to judge whether or not the information is credible, I ,also, understand that this forum is private and it belongs to emmett, and if he doesn't want theards concering damien's personal life in this forum, he's in title to delete them...
Old 03-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #20
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Not true Mario... and I think that proves my point.

Huh? My mom told me that the other day.

But lets say its not true: it proves my point. I'll check the wire services in the morning, but Im pretty sure Damien didn't die from the shock of me posting something untrue about him. I haven't been sued for libel. Nothing happened.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #21
hannahjane
Eskimo Friend

i agree with mario. not because i have a burning desire to gossip about damien's personal life because i don't. i've just always been against censorship in any form. i don't like the information i receive to be filtered and i don't like my own thoughts or opinions to be censored.

SisterMidnight, I also agree with you! I don't like my ideologies being censored either, it limits my freedom of expression. Anyway, I think my points about the forum are generally confirmed within this thread; we'eve been told that we're not to discuss damien's private life - it's condemned. And yet what are peope discussing within this thread, and what will people continue to discuss and speculate?

Angela, I'm sorry you responded in such a flippant manner. I said on numerous occasions I don't mean to offend any of the members, whatsoever. You all seem a lovely bunch, and I'm liking you all straight off considering you love damo as much as I! And I appreciate the bond between members...etc. Honestly, the website is fantastic - the best out there (as I have already said), I was merely offering constructive criticism on the site; isn't that the best way in which to be moving forward? My advice and opinions should have been "welcomed" as SisterMidnight stated, not flippantly rejected as by Angela. The very crude gesture imitated the oppression of the 'damo personal life' talk. If emmett doesn't want people taking about the personal life of damo that's fine; but if a majority of members do want to, (I'm personally not that arsed) I feel he should accomodate that. I mean, he'd have no forum without members would he? It's like the leader of a country can't always make decisions on what HE personally believes in; he represents his people and thus, has to make a decision which represents the general view of the public....
Old 03-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #22
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
If emmett doesn't want people taking about the personal life of damo that's fine; but if a majority of members do want to, (I'm personally not that arsed) I feel he should accomodate that. I mean, he'd have no forum without members would he? It's like the leader of a country can't always make decisions on what HE personally believes in; he represents his people and thus, has to make a decision which represents the general view of the public....
Emmett doesn't want a forum for himself... it's not like he makes money from this... it COSTS him... he created the forum for us...

As far as accomodating anyone... it isn't Emmett who doesn't want it discussed... it is Damien and the band... Emmett respects THEIR wishes. Emmett couldn't keep this being the best site out there without their cooperation.

Why anyone is having a problem with all this is beyond me...

Old 03-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #23
rosey
Eskimo Regular

'Celebrity gossip' is something which bores me most of the time ....unfortunately (or maybe not!) for those being talked about, it is now something that goes hand in hand with being famous ..or just mixing with the famous - and they can have very little control over it once it takes feet.

Trying to censor discussion of such gossip, in this tiny part of the media world, is not going to make it all go away for Damien or any of his band. On the whole, what I've bothered to read on here about his personal life has been pretty harmless stuff....and if I was Damien I'd probably have a laugh at it but maybe be more upset at posts discussing when or if ever a new album is coming out ...or why is this or that song being re-released again? ...these are the sort of things that must irk him from a professional point of view.

After saying all that though, I think I managed to combine a mention of both 'gossip' and 'lack of album' in one short post last week .............does that make me a bad person? I think not - I was just voicing my opinion as surely that's what these messageboards are all about ......opinions.

Last edited by rosey; 03-13-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #24
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Angela, I'm sorry you responded in such a flippant manner.
My response was deliberate: I found the statement of yours that I quoted very arrogant.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #25
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Hannahjane, if you don't like how the forum is run then the obvious solution is for you to not post here, there are a lot more people here who like the way this forum works and the rambling tangents that threads can take. But it does strike me as arrogent for someone to drop into a well trafficked forum and then start giving instructions on how things should be done.

As for the other thing, Emmett takes a very lassez faire attitude to pretty much everything here bar one subject, and he owns the site site so he can run it however he wants and if people don't like it then then they can go. No one knows what goes on behind the scenes with this site bar Emmett (and possibly Wheels) so without full knowledge or understanding it's unfair to pass judgement.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #26
rosey
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
and the rambling tangents that threads can take.
I actually love when threads go off topic ..it's more like a normal conversation with friends than a classroom debate.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #27
administrator
forum administrator

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Unfortunately some people don't like the fact that i deleted a thread about damien's personal life, believing that i don't allow criticism. Some people have left the forum for this reason.

The truth is I don't allow anything that's personally offensive to damien, the band, their family, their friends, me, my family, my friends, you, your family, and your friends. There are plenty of posts in this forum that are critical of damien's music, his lyrics, his approach to releasing or re-releasing stuff. I don't like deleting anything, and I very very very rarely do. I'll only delete something if there is a very real chance that it will upset someone, and I don't appologise for that.

This site is called Eskimo Friends for the very reason that I wanted it to be a place for people to make friends. It's not a place where people have unlimited freedom in being able to throw insults or unfair judgements, especially on people they don't know.

Hannahjane, I'm sorry you don't like the way the forum is run, but it's the best that I can do. I don't agree with much of what you say, but that's ok. You seem to want me to moderate more, cut off people's conversations, but you're also against any form of censorship.

Sistermidnight, about a month ago we had an attack from someone who posted hundreds of posts with the must disgusting images ever. It took me forever to delete them, but am I wrong to censor that? Am I wrong to censor the people that come on here just to make fun of people? I don't think so. I also don't think it's wrong to delete stuff that is personally offensive to people that might read it. I have never ever censored ANYBODY's fair opinions, and I resent that you or rosey think I do.

Rovena, I simply disagree that people should be allowed to say anything, whether malicious or not.

Last edited by emmett; 03-13-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #28
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosey
Trying to censor discussion of such gossip, in this tiny part of the media world, is not going to make it all go away for Damien or any of his band.
That's a fair point, what's so wonderful about it is that if damien keeps appearing in tabloids, eskimofriends will be the only resource for the band's music that dosen't concern itself with all the sensationalist b*llocks that appears in the 25c papers that you see in bin's everywhere. The only real currency is credibility. Which the forum has.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:46 PM   #29
mariodi
Eskimo Baby

Emmett doesn't censor. Except me. Since this is now the second time in a year he's disabled my account because he doesn't agree with what I (or the greatest political theorists in history like Locke and Mill and the US Supreme Court) have to say about how allowing all speech is the best way to silence bad speech.

But thats okay, just because I have a handful of PMs I can't access now which will delay the time it takes for me to post torrents of two new shows....

Oh, and I refer to Emmet in the third person, not the first, since he doesn't have the decency to direct any comments to me on the board or by email.

Last, you can call this credible, but there are a solid dozen people I know, many of them tapers and other people who are highly credible, who do not post here anymore (most of you know who I know or you can think about it and figure it out) because they find it annoying. I don't even post here anymore except a very occassional comment in the trading section. But conversations like "Guess when the new album will be out" don't exactly lend to your credibility.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #30
hannahjane
Eskimo Friend

Thus, I don't know whether I'll be sticking around much longer

Angela, how, on earth, is that arrogant? How could you possibly define that as arrogant? It's just a statement of opinon; it's my viewpoint, don't tell me I'm not allowed that! It's harmless! And It's called honesty, Angela; all I said was that quite literally, I didn't know whether or not I'd stay around to become a regular member as I have on other forums. And to be honest, I knew whilst writing it that someone would try to respond in the way that you did...when there was no need. Just take another look at the italics above - that is not arrogance; it's my opinion, my thoughts. It's a pity that you misinterpretated my intended meaning, and to be honest I'm sick of saying (as I've repeated myself in the last three bloody posts!) I'm not out to cause friction, I was offering an opinion - by the looks of it I have been the first, and only, person to offer a constructive analysis of the site!! Why is that such a big deal? The site is great, as far as I'm aware the members of its' forum are great, and Damien himself is great! So I said that the forum could be a little more organised and controlled....it could!! There's no need for getting all defensive now is there?! *tsk*!!
Closed Thread