Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
Scrappygrrl
Eskimo Friend

Default Philadelphia 5/24

Just back - It was good, but not great (Just my opinion of course!) (I have seen him perform 4 times previously). I need to collect my thoughts a bit and post tomorrow.

No Vyvienne

More tomorrow. Good night.
Scrappygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappygrrl
Just back - It was good, but not great (Just my opinion of course!) (I have seen him perform 4 times previously). I need to collect my thoughts a bit and post tomorrow.

No Vyvienne

More tomorrow. Good night.
I concur. Tonight was good (I had a great 2nd row pit seat) but Monday at Radio City was better.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
JBTongue
Eskimo Friend

I've seen Damien 4 times as well and I thought tonight was unreal. I loved Joel Shearer being there, I can't say I missed Vyvienne too much either. Coconut Skins into Woman Like a Man blew me away. Me, My Yoke and I was absurdly good and so was I Remember. The show was absolutely tight. I have no clue how anyone could NOT think it was a great show. Phenomenal all around.

I would have paid 42.50 just to see him do Cheers Darlin' again.
JBTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTongue
I've seen Damien 4 times as well and I thought tonight was unreal. I loved Joel Shearer being there, I can't say I missed Vyvienne too much either. Coconut Skins into Woman Like a Man blew me away. Me, My Yoke and I was absurdly good and so was I Remember. The show was absolutely tight. I have no clue how anyone could NOT think it was a great show. Phenomenal all around.

I would have paid 42.50 just to see him do Cheers Darlin' again.
The show was very good, but decidedly not the best I've seen. Yes, both Coconut Skins & Woman Like a Man were excellent tonight, and I Remember was top notch per usual (always one of my faves). I've seen Damo 11 times now and did miss Vyv greatly tonight. Cheers Darlin' was entertaining to me, but not as much fun as it was on Monday night.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #5
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

that was the best i've seen damiem play, but the worst show because of the people in front of me. i was 3rd row pit and these 4 assholes in front of me were talking the entire time, they would say like "Oh i like this song" or "this is on my ipod!!" at the beginings of songs and then they would talk for the rest of the song and when it got loud they would wave there arms around a lot and even stood up a few times. after about three songs i told them to shut the f*ck up and the lady on the right of them politely told them to please be quiet, then they were quiet for literally about 15 seconds and they said "wow, tough crowd." i started really loseing it during cannonball because it was completely unplugged and they were still talking and then started to sing along very loudly and poorly. at the end i lost it and said "please just shut the f*ck up, the man's pouring his heart out on stage and you dont have the decency to shut up for two f*ckin hours." by then a lot of the people around them were telling them to shut up and they just said that it was the most depressing concert they had ever been to because the audience was so uptight, i told them not to go to another damien rice concert because no one wants them there including damien. so yea, it actually did ruin the show for me because all the songs were filtered thru their talking and leaning over to talk, taking pictures of themselves, and pulling out their camera phones ever time the lighting changed.

so if you are reading this f*ck you and never go to anymore damien rice concerts.
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left
that was the best i've seen damiem play, but the worst show because of the people in front of me. i was 3rd row pit and these 4 assholes in front of me were talking the entire time, they would say like "Oh i like this song" or "this is on my ipod!!" at the beginings of songs and then they would talk for the rest of the song and when it got loud they would wave there arms around a lot and even stood up a few times.
there was quite a bit of chatter near me too, (i was in the left pit section) and had to tell people to be quiet multiple times during cannonball... i also heard many people's phones ringing throughout the night... I will admit that i did shoot video of quite a few songs on my camera for my kids who were unable to attend as it's a school night (apologies if that bothered anyone - i tried to keep it close to my chest so the light on the screen wouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment)
Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 AM   #7
rhpot1991
Eskimo Friend

This was a great concert but I think the one at Tower Theater last year was better (my only other damo concert). Besides my complaint below, I wish Damien would have played some more rarer songs, nothing in the concert that hasn't been released on one of his 3 (counting b-sides) cds.

Five Leaves Left:
I had a similar experience with 2 guys behind me in the 2nd row of Orchestra A (B side). One them them was somewhat of a fan and the other apparently had heard some songs before. So the "fan" kept guessing what the songs where a few minutes in then telling the other which cd they were from. They would then do one of 2 things.
1. Narrate what Damien just did.
2. Say how awesome of a musician Damien is a few times in a row (harping on him changing instruments)
I kept turning around and giving them dirty looks, luckily for me it only really bothered me during the quieter times of the concerts, but is sure did piss me off. I have to add that it was quite humorous hearing them try to figure out which song woman like a man was.
rhpot1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:23 AM   #8
Topspin047
tennis pro

AMAZING SET.

I was front row Section A, right behind the pit, and yeah the crowd was pretty bad. People were yelling for lisa and during 'cannonball' when he was singing micless. idiots. Yeah I saw the one dude wave his arms around and get out a lighter.

But anyway, extended Volcano, extended I Remember, Woman Like A Man, The Professor, Grey Room...just some of the setlist for now I'm tired.

I hope Vyvienne's there tomorrow at D.C. or i'll be pretty upset.

p.s. did anyone else feel like cheers darlin' was rushed?! at minneapolis i think it was when he invited the girl onstage and they had this whole story and then the song and here it was like he was trying to make sure he came in at the right time and was gulping down his wine.

Last edited by Topspin047; 05-25-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Topspin047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:32 AM   #9
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

did anyone notice the 2 people videotaping the concert on the 2 sides of the orchestra seating area? there may have been more, were ppl taping the other shows? also that guy who sung before damien, he said his name was Michael Phifer and that he was on damien's top 8 on myspace but i can't find him anyone have any luck?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #10
jossfan
Eskimo Baby

I was the girl sitting right next to those two guys! They were really getting on my nerves as well - at one point I told them they didn't have to narrate the evening! But i was happy that they were at least talking about Damien. Two tower concerts ago the couple sitting next to me talked the whole way through about things going on in their lives etc. I don't understand why people go to events to just talk? They should save their money and just go to a bar.

I really like Joel's addition to the band. I remember when he played with them at the TLA show back in 2003. Damien was so on that night & he seemed to really enjoy playing with Joel. I think he adds a new dimension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpot1991
I had a similar experience with 2 guys behind me in the 2nd row of Orchestra A (B side). One them them was somewhat of a fan and the other apparently had heard some songs before. So the "fan" kept guessing what the songs where a few minutes in then telling the other which cd they were from. They would then do one of 2 things.
1. Narrate what Damien just did.
2. Say how awesome of a musician Damien is a few times in a row (harping on him changing instruments)
I kept turning around and giving them dirty looks, luckily for me it only really bothered me during the quieter times of the concerts, but is sure did piss me off. I have to add that it was quite humorous hearing them try to figure out which song woman like a man was.
jossfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Was there any WHERE IS VYV???
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #12
Topspin047
tennis pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Was there any WHERE IS VYV???
not that I heard...which surprised me.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #13
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

i was thinking about yelling it. to be honest i didnt really miss her :X

not that it wouldnt be better with her.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
Lazelose
Eskimo Baby

Default please, to say the least

i had a great time at the show, the setlist was amazing, and it being the first time i'd seen Damien without Lisa or Vyvianne, i can only say holy ****ing ****. i can only try to comprehend how good it would've been if they were both there, but i digress. my area of the crowd was fine, ofcourse i was in the 100th row, and people kept making me stand up up to let them out of the isle, but that's only to be excpected. I took a newcomer to the show and she was amazed, said she could've watched him for 4 more hours and still wanted more. i knew what to expect and i was still amazed, he's progressed so much since last tour when lisa was onboard. not to say he wasn't amazing then, but i'd never seen anyone who can orchestrate a 12 minute self-looped vocal session while switching between 3 instruments, and do it all while the audience is completely silent just waiting for the next move.
but yeah, having him nearly start the show with The Professor made my night right away, and woman like a man was great too, my first time seeing either of those. and yes i was annoyed by everyone yelling when he was trying to play completely acoustic, but after everyone calmed down it was as good as ever. plus i was prepared with wine for Cheers Darlin at the end of the night, so i had a great night. there will always be annoying people at the shows, last time i was at the tower theater the people in front of my (group of 7) were all ****faced drunk by the 3rd song of the show, so they were blocking my view half the time by getting up to run to the bathroom. my surroundings were much better this time, everyone was very cool and polite.
i was personally sad for at least a couple hours after the show just because it was over, and i had to go back to real life. but yeah, at least i wasn't 10 feet from the stage with some moron talking the whole time, i was 200 feet away back with the normal people. everyone knows being 10 feet from stage would be horrible!!
Lazelose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
Topspin047
tennis pro

does anyone remember the apple story? It was funny and I can't remember it all...
Old 05-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left
did anyone notice the 2 people videotaping the concert on the 2 sides of the orchestra seating area? there may have been more, were ppl taping the other shows?
i noticed the cameras too, perhaps there may be a dvd in the works? (wishful thinking)

i've upped 6 clips from the show here:

http://web.mac.com/dawnmckenna/iWeb/damo/wlam.html

i was using my daughter's crap camera, so the video is dark and shaky at times, but decidedly watchable.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
jbpats
Eskimo Friend

Anyone have the set list?
jbpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:11 PM   #18
pranitz
Eskimo Baby

Thanks Dawno for the great clips. I was there last night and thought Damien was fantastic. The concern wasn't long enough for me though! It seemed to be over too fast.
pranitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
Lazelose
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin047
does anyone remember the apple story? It was funny and I can't remember it all...
i can't remember the apple story exactly, but it was something like...

it's like when you were little, and you would sneak into the neighbors garden and steal an apple from the tree. and it didn't matter what kind of apples they were or if they were ripe or anything, it was just getting the apple that mattered. and once you got it you were so excited you just devour the apple as fast as you can, and it's not until later when you have a sour belly that you realize it wasn't such a good idea....

except in this case, the apple is a girl.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #20
sandbuggs
Eskimo Baby

not sure if this is exact but from what i remember

9 Crimes
The Professor and La Fille Danse
Delicate
Volcano -->
Me, My Yoke, and I
Older Chests
I Remember
Rootless Tree
Grey Room
Coconut Skins -->
Woman Like Man
Accidental Babies
Eskimo
Cannonball

Encore:
Blower's Daughter
Cheers Darlin'
sandbuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #21
garmonbozia
Eskimo Baby

I don't think you missed any. but I don't remember the exact order 100% either.
garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:31 AM   #22
Topspin047
tennis pro

^ that sounds about right.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:30 AM   #23
Lazelose
Eskimo Baby

i think accidental babies was 4th from last, 'cause i remember getting wine during accidental babies, which i think was 2nd or 3rd from last of the the first set, but i didn't pay much attention to the order. i got drinks during accidental babies because that song is too sad to listen to, i didn't want to cry in front of my date, and i wanted to have wine ready for 'Cheers, Darlin". .

Last edited by Lazelose; 05-26-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #24
mesmerised
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno
I concur. Tonight was good (I had a great 2nd row pit seat) but Monday at Radio City was better.
Yeah i agree with you.....this show was good but Radio city was just that touch better. For me, i think it could have been the absence of Vyv - I accepted Lisa not been on this tour and was prepared for that - to be truthful i did not even miss Lisa at Radio city (except for when he sang I remember) but not to see Vyv at the Philly show that was something else.

Anyhow took the chance to travel to Philly to get tixs to this show- rang up three hours before the show and scored 12th row ...could not believe it. Definetly had luck on my side that night. Had the most amazing view so i was more than on cloud nine. Met some lovely people too - the crowd around me was pretty good - though i had people getting up every few minutes for drinks which i found rather amusing (and annoying) - this is unheard of in Australia - you pay good money you want some value from a show not miss half of the performance - obviously the beer must be pretty good here but better than seeing Damien...NO WAY.
mesmerised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #25
XXX
Eskimo Baby

"also that guy who sung before damien, he said his name was Michael Phifer and that he was on damien's top 8 on myspace but i can't find him anyone have any luck?"

His name is Mike Pfeiffer, and he can be found on myspace at www.myspace.com/mikepfeifferassociates. He should be in Damien's top 8 in the very short future. Check him out!
XXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #26
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno
i've upped 6 clips from the show here:

http://web.mac.com/dawnmckenna/iWeb/damo/wlam.html

i was using my daughter's crap camera, so the video is dark and shaky at times, but decidedly watchable.
Great videos, thanks!
Old 05-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #27
Topspin047
tennis pro

hey thanks!! especially the whole version of "I Remember" which I thought was the best song of the night!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #28
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX
"also that guy who sung before damien, he said his name was Michael Phifer and that he was on damien's top 8 on myspace but i can't find him anyone have any luck?"

His name is Mike Pfeiffer, and he can be found on myspace at www.myspace.com/mikepfeifferassociates. He should be in Damien's top 8 in the very short future. Check him out!
thanks, i thought i went thru every spelling of Pfeiffer, listened to his songs, he's really good
Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #29
Juego
Deliberately Confused

I thought this was an amazing show, first time I have seen with alone. My 4th show. It was very entertaining despite the crowd noise.

www.myspace.com/juego
http://community.webshots.com/user/brothersbrooks
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote